01 May 2007, 16:39
Patriarch Alexy II philosophic about rumors of his ‘death’ - patriarchal circle
Moscow, May 1, Interfax - Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russia ‘treated philosophically’ the rumors about his ‘demise’, Sergey Kravets, director of the Orthodox Encyclopedia church research center, told Interfax.
‘I inform you that I am still alive’, these were the words, according to Kravets, with which the patriarch greeted him the day after disturbing news appeared in some mass media.
Alexy II’s first reaction to these rumors was ‘a sincere astonishment at the incompetence of some journalists’, Kravets said adding that ‘the patriarch began to wonder even more why the false report continued to be replicated even after the official refutation’.
‘Significantly, Patriarch Alexy, contrary to what has been reported about him recently, has never undergone coronary artery bypass grafting, nor has he survived an apparent death, though some wrote there were even two of them. In other words, the only truth was that the patriarch’s name is Alexy’, Kravets remarked.
He said on May 1 the patriarch, as was expected, would return to Moscow and already on May 2 his rather tough schedule of divine services and working meetings would begin.
He also shared his opinion that ‘the mass media which put the patriarch into an intensive therapy ward and hastened to ‘bury’ him should apologize to the primate’.
Kravets described the rumors as ‘absolute nonsense’. ‘We will find out if there was a malicious intent. But I would remind my colleagues that they should learn to use the freedom of information they enjoy, not to turn it into a phantom’.
In conclusion, Kravets noted that ‘in popular belief, if a rumor seeks to ‘bury’ a person, it means he will live a long life’.
- Russians are against religious cartoons - poll 28 January 2015, 17:00
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about church arsons in Ukraine 28 January 2015, 14:17
- Rabbi Lazar thanks WWII veterans for saving world from fascism 28 January 2015, 10:02
- Police bust female extremist cell in southern Kyrgyzstan 27 January 2015, 17:54
- Church set on fire in Kiev 27 January 2015, 16:19
- Russia calls for inquiry into Babi Yar church arson 27 January 2015, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill condemns cartoons of Prophet Muhammad 26 January 2015, 18:45
- Over two thirds of Russians aware of Charlie Hebdo attack - poll 26 January 2015, 17:08
- Church torched in Babi Yar 26 January 2015, 16:40
- Some 3,000 strong protest in Jalal-Abad against Muhammad caricatures 26 January 2015, 14:47
- Roskomnadzor issues warning to newspaper RBC for publishing images offensive to Muslims 26 January 2015, 12:10
- Peskov would like "Leviathan" movie to be released in Russia 26 January 2015, 10:06
- Duma calls on journalists not to incite religious hatred 26 January 2015, 10:05
- Warsaw's stance insults memory of Auschwitz liberators - FJCR head 23 January 2015, 13:17
- Russia could be one of world's last civilizations - Church official 23 January 2015, 10:16
- Dagestan leader slams insults to Muslims' religious feelings 23 January 2015, 10:05
- Russia needs to revive Soviet-era sense of solidarity - Patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:11
- Russian political parties must not destroy basic values - patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:01
- Russian bishop blasts child euthanasia, abortions 22 January 2015, 18:13
- Lavrov considers caricatures on religious topics tasteless 22 January 2015, 10:44
- Church will support fight against nationalism and Nazism - Patriarch 22 January 2015, 10:19
- U.S., French, Israeli flags burned during Baku protest against Muhammad cartoons 21 January 2015, 18:37
- Russian Church expresses solidarity with Muslims who protested in Grozny 21 January 2015, 10:03
- Bishkek rally demands ban on Prophet Muhammad cartoons 20 January 2015, 13:53
- Israeli court orders priest Grozovsky extradition to Russia, defense planning to appeal 19 January 2015, 18:02
- Body of Georgian priest killed in fire on Norman Atlantic ferry taken to Georgia 19 January 2015, 17:00
- Over 1 million people take part in rally protesting cartoons of Prophet Muhammad held in Grozny 19 January 2015, 14:50
- Moscow Muslims see no sense in holding anti-caricature protest 19 January 2015, 10:08
- Russian lawmaker wants budget funding recovered from Leviathan film director 19 January 2015, 10:05
- Georgian Orthodox Church condemns Prophet Muhammad caricatures 19 January 2015, 10:04