01 May 2007, 16:39
Patriarch Alexy II philosophic about rumors of his ‘death’ - patriarchal circle
Moscow, May 1, Interfax - Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russia ‘treated philosophically’ the rumors about his ‘demise’, Sergey Kravets, director of the Orthodox Encyclopedia church research center, told Interfax.
‘I inform you that I am still alive’, these were the words, according to Kravets, with which the patriarch greeted him the day after disturbing news appeared in some mass media.
Alexy II’s first reaction to these rumors was ‘a sincere astonishment at the incompetence of some journalists’, Kravets said adding that ‘the patriarch began to wonder even more why the false report continued to be replicated even after the official refutation’.
‘Significantly, Patriarch Alexy, contrary to what has been reported about him recently, has never undergone coronary artery bypass grafting, nor has he survived an apparent death, though some wrote there were even two of them. In other words, the only truth was that the patriarch’s name is Alexy’, Kravets remarked.
He said on May 1 the patriarch, as was expected, would return to Moscow and already on May 2 his rather tough schedule of divine services and working meetings would begin.
He also shared his opinion that ‘the mass media which put the patriarch into an intensive therapy ward and hastened to ‘bury’ him should apologize to the primate’.
Kravets described the rumors as ‘absolute nonsense’. ‘We will find out if there was a malicious intent. But I would remind my colleagues that they should learn to use the freedom of information they enjoy, not to turn it into a phantom’.
In conclusion, Kravets noted that ‘in popular belief, if a rumor seeks to ‘bury’ a person, it means he will live a long life’.
- Elton John performs in Moscow, protests homophobia 09 December 2013, 10:01
- It is unacceptable for constitution to give preference to any one faith - Russian premier 06 December 2013, 16:09
- Deputy Milonov proposes easing receipt of Russian citizenship for "spiritually insulted" Europeans 04 December 2013, 15:49
- Moscow, Antioch Patriarchates call for release of kidnapped Syrian nuns 04 December 2013, 15:47
- Catholic priest suspected of high treason released from Belarusian KGB cell pending trial - Apostolic Nunciature 04 December 2013, 14:23
- Russia wants terror attacks stopped against religious figures, worship sites in Syria 04 December 2013, 12:16
- Lawyer: Russian priest accused of pedophilia remains in Israel 04 December 2013, 10:10
- Russians still trust president, Church the most - poll 04 December 2013, 10:09
- Conflicts on former Soviet soil should be settled peacefully - Russian Church 03 December 2013, 15:28
- Muslim organization leader appointed head of new Kazakh movement 03 December 2013, 14:39
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin calls for fight against destructive sects 02 December 2013, 17:43
- Reward pledged in Tatarstan for info on church arsonists 02 December 2013, 17:24
- Orthodox Christians to hold sacred procession in Kiev 02 December 2013, 13:51
- Religious organization in Taganrog illegally treated drug-dependent people 02 December 2013, 10:18
- The Bible will be translated into modern Russian language 02 December 2013, 10:17
- Head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church condemn Maidan dispersal 02 December 2013, 10:11
- FEMEN activist strips near Kiev Laura of the Caves against dictatorship 02 December 2013, 10:09
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin advises Orthodox countries not to adopt Western democracy models 29 November 2013, 10:05
- Minaret built in Georgian village at night 29 November 2013, 10:03
- Hizb ut-Tahrir recruiter detained in Kyrgyzstan 28 November 2013, 12:03
- Too early to discuss time, place of meeting of Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis - Russian Church 28 November 2013, 10:13
- Patriarch Kirill expressed concerns about exodus by Christians from Iraq 27 November 2013, 14:29
- 15 At Takfir Wal-Hijra members detained in Moscow - Interior Ministry 27 November 2013, 10:24
- Putin: Russia, Vatican have similar positions on many issues 27 November 2013, 10:22
- Russian Church calls for broad debate of idea for special role of Orthodox faith in Constitution 27 November 2013, 10:01
- Putin, pontiff compare positions on global affairs - Russian Orthodox Church cleric 26 November 2013, 14:59
- Russian president's meeting with Pope Francis lasted longer than planned 26 November 2013, 10:16
- Special role of Orthodox Church should be stated in Constitution - Nilov 26 November 2013, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill opposed to any forms of convergence of Church and state 25 November 2013, 14:36
- Human rights ombudsman criticizes idea to include premise on Orthodoxy's role in Russia in constitution 25 November 2013, 10:16