01 May 2007, 16:39
Patriarch Alexy II philosophic about rumors of his ‘death’ - patriarchal circle
Moscow, May 1, Interfax - Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russia ‘treated philosophically’ the rumors about his ‘demise’, Sergey Kravets, director of the Orthodox Encyclopedia church research center, told Interfax.
‘I inform you that I am still alive’, these were the words, according to Kravets, with which the patriarch greeted him the day after disturbing news appeared in some mass media.
Alexy II’s first reaction to these rumors was ‘a sincere astonishment at the incompetence of some journalists’, Kravets said adding that ‘the patriarch began to wonder even more why the false report continued to be replicated even after the official refutation’.
‘Significantly, Patriarch Alexy, contrary to what has been reported about him recently, has never undergone coronary artery bypass grafting, nor has he survived an apparent death, though some wrote there were even two of them. In other words, the only truth was that the patriarch’s name is Alexy’, Kravets remarked.
He said on May 1 the patriarch, as was expected, would return to Moscow and already on May 2 his rather tough schedule of divine services and working meetings would begin.
He also shared his opinion that ‘the mass media which put the patriarch into an intensive therapy ward and hastened to ‘bury’ him should apologize to the primate’.
Kravets described the rumors as ‘absolute nonsense’. ‘We will find out if there was a malicious intent. But I would remind my colleagues that they should learn to use the freedom of information they enjoy, not to turn it into a phantom’.
In conclusion, Kravets noted that ‘in popular belief, if a rumor seeks to ‘bury’ a person, it means he will live a long life’.
- Stavropol to host 3rd Forum of World Russian People's Council 26 November 2014, 10:30
- Anti-Semitic inscription appeared on the building of a Moscow center for Torah studies 25 November 2014, 16:42
- CIS-led intl court could investigate Ukraine religious crimes - Russian rights activist 25 November 2014, 15:09
- Tajik Islamists use Moscow as a crossing point between Tajikistan and Syria 25 November 2014, 13:48
- Patriarchal Commission against full ban on physical methods of upbringing children in family 25 November 2014, 12:56
- Russian priest suggests banning Wahhabism, Nazism and aggressive neo-paganism 24 November 2014, 17:46
- Church in the Donetsk Region shelled 24 November 2014, 17:34
- Humanitarian help to restore churches will be conveyed to the DNR 24 November 2014, 12:16
- Russia to invite OSCE to address condition of Christians in Mideast - Lavrov 24 November 2014, 10:08
- Moscow accuses UN mission in ignoring takeovers of churches and threats against priests in eastern Ukraine 24 November 2014, 10:04
- Zvyagintsev's Leviathan wins Golden Frog at Camerimage festival 24 November 2014, 10:03
- Russia, U.S. must melt ice in relationship, overcome global crises - Patriarch Kirill 21 November 2014, 19:02
- At least 50 churches were damaged in military action in Ukraine - Russian expert 21 November 2014, 18:20
- Uniates following UOC hierarchs distanced from memorandum for the Local Church 21 November 2014, 16:03
- Moscow wants Islamic world disagreements resolved - Russian foreign minister 21 November 2014, 12:14
- Putin, patriarch unveil monument to Alexander I outside Kremlin 21 November 2014, 10:02
- Jerusalem synagogue attack extreme, Russia must prevent such crimes - Putin 20 November 2014, 17:53
- DNR soldiers venerate St. George relics 20 November 2014, 14:30
- Patriarch Kirill speaks on divorce statistics 19 November 2014, 15:19
- Orthodox youth should be modern: no dress-codes and 'ethnographic ghetto' is needed 19 November 2014, 13:56
- Patriarch Kirill urges young people not to substitute real communication with virtual 19 November 2014, 13:37
- Patriarch Kirill recommends to take up the cross, not to 'relax and enjoy' 19 November 2014, 12:54
- Moscow denounces deadly attack on Jerusalem synagogue - Foreign Ministry 19 November 2014, 10:01
- Religions play key role in maintaining peace and stability - Azeri leader 18 November 2014, 11:26
- Residents in south Moscow voluntarily refuse parking lots to build a church 17 November 2014, 17:59
- Wars in Muslim countries stem from poverty, lack of education - leader of CIS' only legal Islamic party 17 November 2014, 12:07
- Russian patriarch urges Serbs to cherish brotherly unity with Russian people 17 November 2014, 11:01
- Russian, Serbian patriarchs sanctify monument to Nicholas II in Belgrade 17 November 2014, 10:55
- Patriarch Kirill calls to stop violations of rights, liberties of Serbian population of Kosovo 17 November 2014, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes attempts to rewrite history of Serbia, former USSR 17 November 2014, 10:15