01 May 2007, 16:39
Patriarch Alexy II philosophic about rumors of his ‘death’ - patriarchal circle
Moscow, May 1, Interfax - Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russia ‘treated philosophically’ the rumors about his ‘demise’, Sergey Kravets, director of the Orthodox Encyclopedia church research center, told Interfax.
‘I inform you that I am still alive’, these were the words, according to Kravets, with which the patriarch greeted him the day after disturbing news appeared in some mass media.
Alexy II’s first reaction to these rumors was ‘a sincere astonishment at the incompetence of some journalists’, Kravets said adding that ‘the patriarch began to wonder even more why the false report continued to be replicated even after the official refutation’.
‘Significantly, Patriarch Alexy, contrary to what has been reported about him recently, has never undergone coronary artery bypass grafting, nor has he survived an apparent death, though some wrote there were even two of them. In other words, the only truth was that the patriarch’s name is Alexy’, Kravets remarked.
He said on May 1 the patriarch, as was expected, would return to Moscow and already on May 2 his rather tough schedule of divine services and working meetings would begin.
He also shared his opinion that ‘the mass media which put the patriarch into an intensive therapy ward and hastened to ‘bury’ him should apologize to the primate’.
Kravets described the rumors as ‘absolute nonsense’. ‘We will find out if there was a malicious intent. But I would remind my colleagues that they should learn to use the freedom of information they enjoy, not to turn it into a phantom’.
In conclusion, Kravets noted that ‘in popular belief, if a rumor seeks to ‘bury’ a person, it means he will live a long life’.
- Beijing: Islamists control regional drug trafficking routes 17 April 2014, 16:27
- Russian people, like Noah, urged not to let the world finally sink in sin, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 16 April 2014, 19:21
- Two chapels and baptistery set on fire in Ulyanovsk region 16 April 2014, 17:47
- Alleged ex-activist of Hizb ut-Tahrir going on trial in Moscow 16 April 2014, 17:11
- Gay parades not permitted in Sevastopol or Simferopol 16 April 2014, 16:59
- Two imams banned from mosque service in Kyrgyzstan 16 April 2014, 15:29
- Kadyrov wants to build a mosque in Sevastopol 16 April 2014, 11:49
- Murderer confessed in his crimes after becoming a believer 15 April 2014, 16:11
- Islamic radicals are unpopular in Crimea - expert 15 April 2014, 11:08
- Putin thanks Russia's chief rabbi for contribution in enhancing inter-confession peace 15 April 2014, 10:00
- About 170 tonnes of matzah made for Passover in Russia 14 April 2014, 10:08
- Two militants suspected killers of Dagestan village imam 14 April 2014, 10:00
- Odessa Diocese secretary moves to Moscow for fear of persecution 11 April 2014, 17:27
- WRPC Human Rights Center supports the idea of criminal proceedings against Gorbachev 11 April 2014, 16:31
- Group of Jehovah's Witnesses followers detained in Uzbekistan 11 April 2014, 14:23
- Roman Abramovich spends half million dollars on Passover celebrations 11 April 2014, 10:08
- Village mosque imam killed in Dagestan 11 April 2014, 10:00
- Russian oligarchs start a pilgrimage across Israeli desert 10 April 2014, 11:39
- Radical Islam followers from Europe, Central Asia fight for Syrian militants - Bortnikov 09 April 2014, 14:03
- Assailants of Dagestan madrasah teacher killed in police operation 09 April 2014, 11:24
- Iraqi Sharia court to try Bryansk pedagogue on earthenware smuggling counts 09 April 2014, 10:59
- Kostroma authorities to appeal court ruling over illegality of gay pride parade ban 09 April 2014, 10:13
- Terrorism, Wahhabism neutralized in Chechnya completely – Kadyrov 09 April 2014, 10:04
- Russian Foundation to deliver Holy Fire from Jerusalem to Crimea 09 April 2014, 10:00
- Priest Grozovsky to be extradited to Russia soon 08 April 2014, 19:45
- Activities of 18 intl religious extremists suppressed in four Russian regions - FSB chief 08 April 2014, 12:30
- Russian prosecutors ask Israel to extradite priest accused of child molestation – sources 07 April 2014, 17:01
- Siberian hermit Agafya Lykova may move from taiga 07 April 2014, 16:50
- Group of Hizb ut-Tahrir propagandists detained in Kyrgyzstan 07 April 2014, 16:18
- Patriarch Kirill compares events in Ukraine to 1917 revolution 07 April 2014, 15:30