04 May 2007, 10:01
Moscow Patriarchate demands Gusev, Venediktov resignation
Moscow, May 4, Interfax - The Father Vladimir Vigilyansky, the head of the Moscow Patriarchate's press service, said that Ekho Moskvy radio editor-in-chief Alexey Venediktov and Moskovsky Komsomolets daily editor-in-chief Pavel Gusev, who, he said, aired rumors alleging that Patriarch of All Russia Alexy II was dead or seriously ill, should resign, but the journalists have dismissed the calls.
The website of the Orthodox Foma magazine cites Fr. Vigilyansky as saying in particular: "The news around the supposed death of the Patriarch was not accidental. This is not an absurd mistake in interpretation, as we thought in the beginning; now we see malevolent intentions. One of the purposes of the slander could be the desire to sow discord in the signing of the Act of Re-Unification of the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad with its Mother Church, the Russian Orthodox Church. On the other hand, the purpose of this PR-campaign could be the desire to gauge how high-ranking Church officials will behave if they lose the patriarch."
Vigilyansky said: "I do not blame the publishers on the whole, I blame specific people behind Moskovsky Komsomolets and Ekho Moskvy radio. This is their invention, and this is 'evil intent', as the Apostolic Patriarch said. Therefore, I hold that Alexey Venediktov and Pavel Gusev should resign."
Venediktov told Interfax in response that Ekho Moskvy radio had said nothing regarding the Patriarch's death or critical condition, it only said that Alexy II was receiving treatment in Switzerland, which was confirmed later.
He said that "the Patriarchate's press service, which should have explained this (the Patriarch's absence) to believers, citizens, did nothing, and now it was trying to blame journalists who sought to inform." Venediktov said he did not plan to resign.
Gusev said the call for his resignation from the representative of Moscow Patriarchate was "absolutely unfounded."
"First of all, I want to stress that we have a secular state. And although we have freedom of speech, and everybody can say what he likes, an official Church representative ought not engage in such issues," Gusev told Interfax on Thursday. He urged Vigilyansky to resign himself.
Meanwhile, Tatyana Medyukh, the editor of MK.ru has published a letter of apology to Alexy II.
- It is unacceptable for constitution to give preference to any one faith - Russian premier 06 December 2013, 16:09
- Deputy Milonov proposes easing receipt of Russian citizenship for "spiritually insulted" Europeans 04 December 2013, 15:49
- Moscow, Antioch Patriarchates call for release of kidnapped Syrian nuns 04 December 2013, 15:47
- Catholic priest suspected of high treason released from Belarusian KGB cell pending trial - Apostolic Nunciature 04 December 2013, 14:23
- Russia wants terror attacks stopped against religious figures, worship sites in Syria 04 December 2013, 12:16
- Lawyer: Russian priest accused of pedophilia remains in Israel 04 December 2013, 10:10
- Russians still trust president, Church the most - poll 04 December 2013, 10:09
- Conflicts on former Soviet soil should be settled peacefully - Russian Church 03 December 2013, 15:28
- Muslim organization leader appointed head of new Kazakh movement 03 December 2013, 14:39
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin calls for fight against destructive sects 02 December 2013, 17:43
- Reward pledged in Tatarstan for info on church arsonists 02 December 2013, 17:24
- Orthodox Christians to hold sacred procession in Kiev 02 December 2013, 13:51
- Religious organization in Taganrog illegally treated drug-dependent people 02 December 2013, 10:18
- The Bible will be translated into modern Russian language 02 December 2013, 10:17
- Head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church condemn Maidan dispersal 02 December 2013, 10:11
- FEMEN activist strips near Kiev Laura of the Caves against dictatorship 02 December 2013, 10:09
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin advises Orthodox countries not to adopt Western democracy models 29 November 2013, 10:05
- Minaret built in Georgian village at night 29 November 2013, 10:03
- Hizb ut-Tahrir recruiter detained in Kyrgyzstan 28 November 2013, 12:03
- Too early to discuss time, place of meeting of Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis - Russian Church 28 November 2013, 10:13
- Patriarch Kirill expressed concerns about exodus by Christians from Iraq 27 November 2013, 14:29
- 15 At Takfir Wal-Hijra members detained in Moscow - Interior Ministry 27 November 2013, 10:24
- Putin: Russia, Vatican have similar positions on many issues 27 November 2013, 10:22
- Russian Church calls for broad debate of idea for special role of Orthodox faith in Constitution 27 November 2013, 10:01
- Putin, pontiff compare positions on global affairs - Russian Orthodox Church cleric 26 November 2013, 14:59
- Russian president's meeting with Pope Francis lasted longer than planned 26 November 2013, 10:16
- Special role of Orthodox Church should be stated in Constitution - Nilov 26 November 2013, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill opposed to any forms of convergence of Church and state 25 November 2013, 14:36
- Human rights ombudsman criticizes idea to include premise on Orthodoxy's role in Russia in constitution 25 November 2013, 10:16
- Group of Duma deputies mulling mentioning of "Orthodoxy's special role" in Russian Constitution 25 November 2013, 10:14