04 May 2007, 10:01
Moscow Patriarchate demands Gusev, Venediktov resignation
Moscow, May 4, Interfax - The Father Vladimir Vigilyansky, the head of the Moscow Patriarchate's press service, said that Ekho Moskvy radio editor-in-chief Alexey Venediktov and Moskovsky Komsomolets daily editor-in-chief Pavel Gusev, who, he said, aired rumors alleging that Patriarch of All Russia Alexy II was dead or seriously ill, should resign, but the journalists have dismissed the calls.
The website of the Orthodox Foma magazine cites Fr. Vigilyansky as saying in particular: "The news around the supposed death of the Patriarch was not accidental. This is not an absurd mistake in interpretation, as we thought in the beginning; now we see malevolent intentions. One of the purposes of the slander could be the desire to sow discord in the signing of the Act of Re-Unification of the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad with its Mother Church, the Russian Orthodox Church. On the other hand, the purpose of this PR-campaign could be the desire to gauge how high-ranking Church officials will behave if they lose the patriarch."
Vigilyansky said: "I do not blame the publishers on the whole, I blame specific people behind Moskovsky Komsomolets and Ekho Moskvy radio. This is their invention, and this is 'evil intent', as the Apostolic Patriarch said. Therefore, I hold that Alexey Venediktov and Pavel Gusev should resign."
Venediktov told Interfax in response that Ekho Moskvy radio had said nothing regarding the Patriarch's death or critical condition, it only said that Alexy II was receiving treatment in Switzerland, which was confirmed later.
He said that "the Patriarchate's press service, which should have explained this (the Patriarch's absence) to believers, citizens, did nothing, and now it was trying to blame journalists who sought to inform." Venediktov said he did not plan to resign.
Gusev said the call for his resignation from the representative of Moscow Patriarchate was "absolutely unfounded."
"First of all, I want to stress that we have a secular state. And although we have freedom of speech, and everybody can say what he likes, an official Church representative ought not engage in such issues," Gusev told Interfax on Thursday. He urged Vigilyansky to resign himself.
Meanwhile, Tatyana Medyukh, the editor of MK.ru has published a letter of apology to Alexy II.
- Kazakhstan plans to set up own school of Islamic studies 19 September 2017, 10:12
- Blogger Sokolovsky's lawyer contests sentence in Sverdlovsk region court 18 September 2017, 14:15
- Navalny's volunteer gets 2 years for religious affiliation 18 September 2017, 14:13
- Kadyrov publishes address by Chechen man imprisoned in Iraq calling on Muslims not to join ISIL 18 September 2017, 11:29
- Turkish terrorists lived in house of Georgian patriarch for several months - Rustavi 2 18 September 2017, 10:00
- Tajikistan, Saudi Arabia decide to cooperate to promote tolerance, counterterrorism 15 September 2017, 11:54
- Russian police ready to curb provocations, ensure security of Matilda film viewers 14 September 2017, 17:21
- Umayyad Mosque in Syria's Aleppo to be restored with Kadyrov Fund money 13 September 2017, 11:52
- FJCR building in suspected Molotov cocktail attack 13 September 2017, 10:00
- Jehovah's Witnesses ask Supreme Court to reverse ruling declaring them extremists 12 September 2017, 16:55
- Victims of the 9/11 terrorist attacks commemorated in Moscow 12 September 2017, 12:04
- No more need for rallies supporting Myanmar Muslims – Kadyrov 11 September 2017, 10:33
- Over 100 people rallying in support for Myanmar's Muslims detained on Palace Square in St. Petersburg 11 September 2017, 10:06
- Erdogan urges Islamic countries to show determination in resolving Myanmar conflict 11 September 2017, 10:00
- Canada should be asked about reports on plans to take gays from Chechnya - Russian Foreign Ministry 08 September 2017, 13:48
- Pressure on Myanmar leadership only to escalate tensions - Russian Foreign Ministry 08 September 2017, 12:17
- Russian Orthodox Church warns Ukrainian president against meddling in Church's internal affairs 07 September 2017, 18:15
- Catholicos of All Armenians heading for Moscow to take part in Karabakh meeting 07 September 2017, 17:00
- Organizer of picket in defense of Rohingya offers to meet Myanmar ambassador to Russia 07 September 2017, 15:20
- Ukraine has right to have autonomous church – Poroshenko 07 September 2017, 12:08
- Moscow authorities deny authorization to picket near Myanmar embassy 07 September 2017, 12:06
- First Turkish aid to Myanmar's Rohingya Muslims to be delivered Thursday - Turkish Red Crescent head 06 September 2017, 19:08
- Tbilisi court sentences priest found guilty of trying to kill patriarch's secretary to 9 years 05 September 2017, 18:17
- Putin against any violence in Myanmar, does not see Kadyrov's remarks as oppositional, asks everyone to calm down 05 September 2017, 10:41
- Russian, Egyptian presidents concerned about situation in Myanmar – Peskov 04 September 2017, 18:56
- Mufti Gainutdin calls on Muslims to participate only in authorized actions following events in Myanmar 04 September 2017, 18:53
- Over 1 mln join Grozny rally in defense of Myanmar's Muslims – organizers 04 September 2017, 17:42
- Chechnya head ready to speak against Moscow's course if Russia supports Myanmar authorities 04 September 2017, 16:06
- Russian chief mufti calls on Muslims to pray for Russia's prosperity 01 September 2017, 12:58
- Over 200,000 Muslims attend Kurban Bayram prayer in Moscow 01 September 2017, 10:38