04 May 2007, 10:01
Moscow Patriarchate demands Gusev, Venediktov resignation
Moscow, May 4, Interfax - The Father Vladimir Vigilyansky, the head of the Moscow Patriarchate's press service, said that Ekho Moskvy radio editor-in-chief Alexey Venediktov and Moskovsky Komsomolets daily editor-in-chief Pavel Gusev, who, he said, aired rumors alleging that Patriarch of All Russia Alexy II was dead or seriously ill, should resign, but the journalists have dismissed the calls.
The website of the Orthodox Foma magazine cites Fr. Vigilyansky as saying in particular: "The news around the supposed death of the Patriarch was not accidental. This is not an absurd mistake in interpretation, as we thought in the beginning; now we see malevolent intentions. One of the purposes of the slander could be the desire to sow discord in the signing of the Act of Re-Unification of the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad with its Mother Church, the Russian Orthodox Church. On the other hand, the purpose of this PR-campaign could be the desire to gauge how high-ranking Church officials will behave if they lose the patriarch."
Vigilyansky said: "I do not blame the publishers on the whole, I blame specific people behind Moskovsky Komsomolets and Ekho Moskvy radio. This is their invention, and this is 'evil intent', as the Apostolic Patriarch said. Therefore, I hold that Alexey Venediktov and Pavel Gusev should resign."
Venediktov told Interfax in response that Ekho Moskvy radio had said nothing regarding the Patriarch's death or critical condition, it only said that Alexy II was receiving treatment in Switzerland, which was confirmed later.
He said that "the Patriarchate's press service, which should have explained this (the Patriarch's absence) to believers, citizens, did nothing, and now it was trying to blame journalists who sought to inform." Venediktov said he did not plan to resign.
Gusev said the call for his resignation from the representative of Moscow Patriarchate was "absolutely unfounded."
"First of all, I want to stress that we have a secular state. And although we have freedom of speech, and everybody can say what he likes, an official Church representative ought not engage in such issues," Gusev told Interfax on Thursday. He urged Vigilyansky to resign himself.
Meanwhile, Tatyana Medyukh, the editor of MK.ru has published a letter of apology to Alexy II.
- Russian priest suggests banning Wahhabism, Nazism and aggressive neo-paganism 24 November 2014, 17:46
- Church in the Donetsk Region shelled 24 November 2014, 17:34
- Humanitarian help to restore churches will be conveyed to the DNR 24 November 2014, 12:16
- Russia to invite OSCE to address condition of Christians in Mideast - Lavrov 24 November 2014, 10:08
- Moscow accuses UN mission in ignoring takeovers of churches and threats against priests in eastern Ukraine 24 November 2014, 10:04
- Zvyagintsev's Leviathan wins Golden Frog at Camerimage festival 24 November 2014, 10:03
- Russia, U.S. must melt ice in relationship, overcome global crises - Patriarch Kirill 21 November 2014, 19:02
- At least 50 churches were damaged in military action in Ukraine - Russian expert 21 November 2014, 18:20
- Uniates following UOC hierarchs distanced from memorandum for the Local Church 21 November 2014, 16:03
- Moscow wants Islamic world disagreements resolved - Russian foreign minister 21 November 2014, 12:14
- Putin, patriarch unveil monument to Alexander I outside Kremlin 21 November 2014, 10:02
- Jerusalem synagogue attack extreme, Russia must prevent such crimes - Putin 20 November 2014, 17:53
- DNR soldiers venerate St. George relics 20 November 2014, 14:30
- Patriarch Kirill speaks on divorce statistics 19 November 2014, 15:19
- Orthodox youth should be modern: no dress-codes and 'ethnographic ghetto' is needed 19 November 2014, 13:56
- Patriarch Kirill urges young people not to substitute real communication with virtual 19 November 2014, 13:37
- Patriarch Kirill recommends to take up the cross, not to 'relax and enjoy' 19 November 2014, 12:54
- Moscow denounces deadly attack on Jerusalem synagogue - Foreign Ministry 19 November 2014, 10:01
- Religions play key role in maintaining peace and stability - Azeri leader 18 November 2014, 11:26
- Residents in south Moscow voluntarily refuse parking lots to build a church 17 November 2014, 17:59
- Wars in Muslim countries stem from poverty, lack of education - leader of CIS' only legal Islamic party 17 November 2014, 12:07
- Russian patriarch urges Serbs to cherish brotherly unity with Russian people 17 November 2014, 11:01
- Russian, Serbian patriarchs sanctify monument to Nicholas II in Belgrade 17 November 2014, 10:55
- Patriarch Kirill calls to stop violations of rights, liberties of Serbian population of Kosovo 17 November 2014, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes attempts to rewrite history of Serbia, former USSR 17 November 2014, 10:15
- Serbian-Russian friendship is based on spiritual closeness, not amount of gas sold - Serbian president 17 November 2014, 10:02
- Procession with cross for peace marches in Ukraine 14 November 2014, 19:59
- Israel blames Palestine for exacerbation of situation with Temple Mount in Jerusalem 14 November 2014, 18:16
- Patriarch Kirill calls on people of Serbia to work together on renewing Europe 14 November 2014, 17:55
- Hundreds of people welcome Patriarch Kirill in Belgrade 14 November 2014, 17:49