04 May 2007, 10:01
Moscow Patriarchate demands Gusev, Venediktov resignation
Moscow, May 4, Interfax - The Father Vladimir Vigilyansky, the head of the Moscow Patriarchate's press service, said that Ekho Moskvy radio editor-in-chief Alexey Venediktov and Moskovsky Komsomolets daily editor-in-chief Pavel Gusev, who, he said, aired rumors alleging that Patriarch of All Russia Alexy II was dead or seriously ill, should resign, but the journalists have dismissed the calls.
The website of the Orthodox Foma magazine cites Fr. Vigilyansky as saying in particular: "The news around the supposed death of the Patriarch was not accidental. This is not an absurd mistake in interpretation, as we thought in the beginning; now we see malevolent intentions. One of the purposes of the slander could be the desire to sow discord in the signing of the Act of Re-Unification of the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad with its Mother Church, the Russian Orthodox Church. On the other hand, the purpose of this PR-campaign could be the desire to gauge how high-ranking Church officials will behave if they lose the patriarch."
Vigilyansky said: "I do not blame the publishers on the whole, I blame specific people behind Moskovsky Komsomolets and Ekho Moskvy radio. This is their invention, and this is 'evil intent', as the Apostolic Patriarch said. Therefore, I hold that Alexey Venediktov and Pavel Gusev should resign."
Venediktov told Interfax in response that Ekho Moskvy radio had said nothing regarding the Patriarch's death or critical condition, it only said that Alexy II was receiving treatment in Switzerland, which was confirmed later.
He said that "the Patriarchate's press service, which should have explained this (the Patriarch's absence) to believers, citizens, did nothing, and now it was trying to blame journalists who sought to inform." Venediktov said he did not plan to resign.
Gusev said the call for his resignation from the representative of Moscow Patriarchate was "absolutely unfounded."
"First of all, I want to stress that we have a secular state. And although we have freedom of speech, and everybody can say what he likes, an official Church representative ought not engage in such issues," Gusev told Interfax on Thursday. He urged Vigilyansky to resign himself.
Meanwhile, Tatyana Medyukh, the editor of MK.ru has published a letter of apology to Alexy II.
- Ukrainian Army shells Donetsk monastery 18 September 2014, 16:53
- Russia and Vatican to hold art exhibition on Biblical themes 18 September 2014, 10:10
- Sts Martha and Mary Convent in Moscow decorated with a Japanese symbol 18 September 2014, 10:01
- Released Lugansk priest claims pilot Savchenko suggested to divide them to organs 17 September 2014, 10:22
- Ukrainian bishop believes the country's authorities Satanic 16 September 2014, 12:15
- Two Hizb ut-Tahrir activists detained in Kyrgyzstan 16 September 2014, 11:42
- War against Islamic State promises benefit to Russia - religious expert 16 September 2014, 11:33
- The Ukrainian church official accuses the country's authorities in eliminating their own people 15 September 2014, 16:28
- Russian Foreign Ministry calls a "mockery of common sense" discharge of the Femen activists for their action in Notre Dame de Paris 15 September 2014, 14:22
- Supporters of so-called Kiev Patriarchate attempt to take over church near Kiev 15 September 2014, 11:53
- Three Tajik Islamists sentenced to imprisonment in Khabarovsk Territory 15 September 2014, 10:50
- Rabbi Kogan urges to respond to Western sanctions with a baby boom 12 September 2014, 11:04
- Rabbi Lazar opens a hockey match between renowned sportsmen and the Jewish community team 12 September 2014, 10:20
- Greek-Catholic priest urges to eliminate militiamen 11 September 2014, 16:40
- Putin lights candles for "defenders of Novorossiya" in Moscow church 11 September 2014, 13:44
- Austrian MP condemns USA in attempts to blow up traditional European values 11 September 2014, 13:28
- ISIS has 100,000 fighters, including Western, Russian citizens - expert 10 September 2014, 12:51
- U.S. report on religious freedom in Uzbekistan biased - Tashkent 09 September 2014, 14:51
- Idea of Russian World not means of enslaving Ukraine - Patriarch Kirill 08 September 2014, 16:13
- Russia, Ukraine, Belarus linked with invincible spiritual bonds - Patriarch Kirill 08 September 2014, 10:00
- ISIL Islamists threaten not just Russia but to all Europe - Margelov 04 September 2014, 10:01
- Over 200 fake passports seized from Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan in Moscow 04 September 2014, 10:01
- Crimea does not need sexual minorities - Aksyonov 02 September 2014, 17:56
- Russian school in Bethlehem to strengthen Russian-Palestinian ties - Putin 02 September 2014, 10:01
- In order to come to Russia Dalai Lama must quit politics - Lavrov 28 August 2014, 10:13
- Wahhabism supporters use Internet to campaign for extremism - Kadyrov 26 August 2014, 17:47
- Kadyrov asks clergy to resist early marriages in Chechnya 26 August 2014, 14:58
- Yamalo-Nenets authorities deny violations of Muslims' rights at local prison 26 August 2014, 14:57
- Russian social network VK says Islamic State accounts blocked 26 August 2014, 10:05
- Church burns down in Donetsk as shell hits is - diocese 26 August 2014, 10:03