17 May 2007, 10:33
Act of Canonical Communion signed in Moscow (updated)
Moscow, May 17, Interfax - The Act of Canonical Communion between the Russian Orthodox Church in Russia and abroad was signed at Moscow's Christ the Savior Cathedral on Thursday morning.
The historic document was signed by Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russia and by First Hierarch of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia Metropolitan Laurus.
The ceremony is being attended by President Vladimir Putin, several thousands Orthodox believers, including believers who have arrived from abroad, and about 500 journalists.
The Christ the Savior Cathedral is decorated with white flowers - a traditional adornment used on the Ascension holiday to symbolize renewal.
The signing of the Act of Canonical Communion symbolizes the return of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia into the fold of the Moscow Patriarchate and of the whole of the Orthodox world, which until recently did not recognize the Russian Church abroad. From now onwards, being part of the Mother Church, parishioners of the Russian Orthodox Church abroad will have the right to take communion at all of the world's Orthodox churches, while its clergy gains the right to serve jointly with the hierarchs and clergy of all 15 local Orthodox Churches.
The name of the Russian patriarch will now be mentioned in all services of the Russian Orthodox Church abroad before the name of the first hierarch.
According to the Act of Canonical Communion, the Moscow Patriarchate recognizes the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia as "an indissoluble part of the local Russian Orthodox Church, but independent in pastoral, educational, administrative, managerial, property and civil matters," and remaining "in canonical unity with the Fullness of the Russian Orthodox Church."
The Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia will as previously be run by its own Council of Bishops - "its supreme ecclesiastical, legislative, administrative, judiciary and controlling authority" convened by her First Hierarch in accordance with the Regulations. "This election is confirmed in accordance with the norms of the canonical law by the Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia and by the Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church."
Decisions on the establishment or liquidation of dioceses of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia will be made in agreement with the Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia and the Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church.
The bishops of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia, elected by her Council of Bishops, will be confirmed in accordance with canonical norms by the Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia and the Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church.
- Church of Moscow Patriarchate burglarized, desecrated in Odessa 24 April 2017, 17:40
- Russian sappers demined Orthodox church in Aleppo 24 April 2017, 13:52
- Two criminals plotting to murder religious figures eliminated in Stavropol Territory 24 April 2017, 10:00
- Volodin calls for relying on Putin's opinion, avoiding radical moves in Lenin's reburial issue 21 April 2017, 13:02
- Zyuganov demands Russian Security Council guarantee Lenin not to be reburied 21 April 2017, 12:46
- Family of a Russian priest creates robots and will represent them in the USA 21 April 2017, 10:18
- Russian Supreme Court declares Russian branch of Jehovah's Witnesses extremist organization, orders its closure 20 April 2017, 19:26
- Over half of Russians believe that Lenin should be buried - poll 20 April 2017, 18:25
- Lenin reburial information attack on Communist Party - party 20 April 2017, 18:22
- United Russia not to support legislation on Lenin's reburial as it splits society - Duma deputy 20 April 2017, 18:17
- Duma members propose bill to regulate burial of Lenin's body 20 April 2017, 16:10
- Ukrainian army has sent about 500 Wahhabis to Mariupol, DNR says 20 April 2017, 13:18
- Kremlin has no reasons not to believe info received from head of Chechnya on human rights observance in republic – Peskov (updated) 20 April 2017, 13:05
- Lavrov discusses int'l issues, Afghanistan with Prince Aga Khan IV 20 April 2017, 11:23
- Russian ombudsman suspects reports on gay men's harassment in Chechnya may be false 20 April 2017, 11:15
- Russian church desecrated in Israel 18 April 2017, 18:32
- Patriarch Kirill surprised to see no intl reaction to violence against Church in Ukraine 18 April 2017, 18:28
- Patriarch Kirill urges global community to stop ignoring persecutions of Christians in Iraq, Syria, Africa 18 April 2017, 18:26
- Novaya Gazeta to urge Investigative Committee to probe reports on harassment of gays in Chechnya 18 April 2017, 18:24
- No missing person reports filed with Chechen police – Moskalkova 18 April 2017, 14:50
- Taxi driver arrested for recruiting would-be terrorists near St. Petersburg Central Mosque 18 April 2017, 11:24
- Patriarch Kirill congratulated Russian member of the International Space Station on Easter 17 April 2017, 11:32
- 3,000 Easter cakes blessed by Patriarch Kirill delivered to Russian servicemen in Syria 17 April 2017, 11:21
- Patriarch Kirill urges believers to refuse egoism on Easter 17 April 2017, 11:14
- Holy fire will be first delivered to the USA 14 April 2017, 15:43
- OSCE info on possible persecution of LGBT people in Chechnya needs verification – Kremlin 14 April 2017, 14:20
- Ukrainian army, militia continue to exchange fire despite Easter truce agreement 14 April 2017, 11:18
- Possible meeting between spiritual leaders of Armenia, Russia, Azerbaijan on Karabakh under discussion - Karekin II 13 April 2017, 18:31
- Patriarch Kirill's April visit to Uzbekistan rescheduled for May-June - Russian Foreign Ministry 13 April 2017, 17:18
- Muscovites will taste a 1.5 ton Easter cake at the Cathedral of Christ the Savior 13 April 2017, 15:06