17 May 2007, 10:33
Act of Canonical Communion signed in Moscow (updated)
Moscow, May 17, Interfax - The Act of Canonical Communion between the Russian Orthodox Church in Russia and abroad was signed at Moscow's Christ the Savior Cathedral on Thursday morning.
The historic document was signed by Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russia and by First Hierarch of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia Metropolitan Laurus.
The ceremony is being attended by President Vladimir Putin, several thousands Orthodox believers, including believers who have arrived from abroad, and about 500 journalists.
The Christ the Savior Cathedral is decorated with white flowers - a traditional adornment used on the Ascension holiday to symbolize renewal.
The signing of the Act of Canonical Communion symbolizes the return of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia into the fold of the Moscow Patriarchate and of the whole of the Orthodox world, which until recently did not recognize the Russian Church abroad. From now onwards, being part of the Mother Church, parishioners of the Russian Orthodox Church abroad will have the right to take communion at all of the world's Orthodox churches, while its clergy gains the right to serve jointly with the hierarchs and clergy of all 15 local Orthodox Churches.
The name of the Russian patriarch will now be mentioned in all services of the Russian Orthodox Church abroad before the name of the first hierarch.
According to the Act of Canonical Communion, the Moscow Patriarchate recognizes the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia as "an indissoluble part of the local Russian Orthodox Church, but independent in pastoral, educational, administrative, managerial, property and civil matters," and remaining "in canonical unity with the Fullness of the Russian Orthodox Church."
The Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia will as previously be run by its own Council of Bishops - "its supreme ecclesiastical, legislative, administrative, judiciary and controlling authority" convened by her First Hierarch in accordance with the Regulations. "This election is confirmed in accordance with the norms of the canonical law by the Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia and by the Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church."
Decisions on the establishment or liquidation of dioceses of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia will be made in agreement with the Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia and the Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church.
The bishops of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia, elected by her Council of Bishops, will be confirmed in accordance with canonical norms by the Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia and the Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church.
- Supreme mufti of Syria thanks Russia for opposing "snobby West" 31 October 2014, 10:45
- "Islamic caliphate" is more dangerous than World War III 31 October 2014, 10:44
- Secularists seemingly getting superiority over Islamists in Libya war - analyst 30 October 2014, 18:03
- Patriarch Kirill likens Ukraine situation with Arab Spring 30 October 2014, 10:01
- ISIS is no use for the USA and threatens to destroy entire Islamic civilization 29 October 2014, 18:06
- ISIS is instrument for unleashing World War III 29 October 2014, 17:27
- Georgian patriarch urges rapprochement with Russia 29 October 2014, 17:26
- Orthodox believers to hold an action "Drink pumpkin juice for repose of Halloween 29 October 2014, 11:54
- Syrian mufti, Russian communist leader slam U.S. policies towards Damascus, Moscow 29 October 2014, 11:16
- World Russian People's Council suggests to limit entry of young Russians to the countries where they can fall victims of juvenile justice 28 October 2014, 17:53
- Head of the Orthodox Citizens Union urges to throw 'the fifth column' out of Russian authorities and media 28 October 2014, 12:20
- Competitors give up Russian witch protesting against church building to the police in Moscow 28 October 2014, 11:37
- Bans only can't solve the problem of spreading harmful information in Internet 28 October 2014, 11:02
- Promoting traditional Islam values and culture is a priority in the country - the State Committee head 28 October 2014, 10:12
- Rise in ethnic, religious conflicts one of global threats - Putin 28 October 2014, 10:05
- UNESCO experts to consider the chances of restoring Kremlin historical image including its two monasteries 28 October 2014, 10:00
- Rahmon: OIC countries face global challenges 27 October 2014, 14:25
- Patriarch Kirill urges to cultivate national soil so that it won't become a side of the alien road 27 October 2014, 11:07
- Putin warns that buying oil from IS militants finances terrorism 24 October 2014, 17:39
- USA supports neo-Nazis and Islamic radicals instead of democracy - Putin 24 October 2014, 17:11
- Russian sculptor Tsereteli to open a monument to John Paul II at Notre-Dame de Paris 24 October 2014, 15:43
- Two Wahabis get long prison terms for plotting terror act at Russia's chemical arms disposal plant 24 October 2014, 15:04
- Canalization manholes with St. George the Victory-Bearer can appear in Moscow, Orthodox believres outraged 24 October 2014, 14:40
- Tajik family fined for giving lavish welcome-back to relative after Mecca hajj 24 October 2014, 13:13
- The Ukrainian Orthodox Church official believes peace efforts of Kiev authorities insufficient 23 October 2014, 14:17
- IOPS chairman asks Iraqi president to release Tariq Aziz 23 October 2014, 11:32
- Islamists on rise in C. Asia as CU, SCO expected to expand - expert 23 October 2014, 10:01
- Historian doubts Nicholas II abdicated the throne 22 October 2014, 17:20
- Constitutional Court turns down Pussy Riot member appeal against disorderly conduct qualification 22 October 2014, 16:10
- Israeli authorities are ready to extradite Grozovsky - source 22 October 2014, 15:57