17 May 2007, 10:33
Act of Canonical Communion signed in Moscow (updated)
Moscow, May 17, Interfax - The Act of Canonical Communion between the Russian Orthodox Church in Russia and abroad was signed at Moscow's Christ the Savior Cathedral on Thursday morning.
The historic document was signed by Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russia and by First Hierarch of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia Metropolitan Laurus.
The ceremony is being attended by President Vladimir Putin, several thousands Orthodox believers, including believers who have arrived from abroad, and about 500 journalists.
The Christ the Savior Cathedral is decorated with white flowers - a traditional adornment used on the Ascension holiday to symbolize renewal.
The signing of the Act of Canonical Communion symbolizes the return of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia into the fold of the Moscow Patriarchate and of the whole of the Orthodox world, which until recently did not recognize the Russian Church abroad. From now onwards, being part of the Mother Church, parishioners of the Russian Orthodox Church abroad will have the right to take communion at all of the world's Orthodox churches, while its clergy gains the right to serve jointly with the hierarchs and clergy of all 15 local Orthodox Churches.
The name of the Russian patriarch will now be mentioned in all services of the Russian Orthodox Church abroad before the name of the first hierarch.
According to the Act of Canonical Communion, the Moscow Patriarchate recognizes the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia as "an indissoluble part of the local Russian Orthodox Church, but independent in pastoral, educational, administrative, managerial, property and civil matters," and remaining "in canonical unity with the Fullness of the Russian Orthodox Church."
The Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia will as previously be run by its own Council of Bishops - "its supreme ecclesiastical, legislative, administrative, judiciary and controlling authority" convened by her First Hierarch in accordance with the Regulations. "This election is confirmed in accordance with the norms of the canonical law by the Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia and by the Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church."
Decisions on the establishment or liquidation of dioceses of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia will be made in agreement with the Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia and the Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church.
The bishops of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia, elected by her Council of Bishops, will be confirmed in accordance with canonical norms by the Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia and the Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church.
- Parishioners of the "Russian exarchate" in Paris enthusiastic about joining the Russian Orthodox Church 16 September 2019, 17:45
- Return of 'Russian exarchate' became possible due to radical changes in Russian Church, Russia in general - Patriarch Kirill 16 September 2019, 16:26
- Russian Orthodox Church denies rumors that head of Russian Church Abroad is missing 16 September 2019, 16:25
- Israel condemns defacing of monument to Holocaust victims in Ukraine's Nikolaev Region, demands perpetrators be punished 16 September 2019, 13:20
- The Russian Church about return of “Russian exarchate” parishes under its jurisdiction: a long way is almost accomplished 14 September 2019, 21:29
- Head of "Russian exarchate" of Constantinople joins Russian Orthodox Church 14 September 2019, 18:44
- Imam Velitov, convicted for justification of terrorism, leaves colony in Astrakhan 13 September 2019, 16:52
- Ukrainian court freezes "Kiev Patriarchate" liquidation 12 September 2019, 20:25
- Priest Alexander Volkov dismissed from the post of patriarchal press secretary 12 September 2019, 20:22
- Orthodox Businessman Malofeyev to leave A Just Russia 6 months after joining it 12 September 2019, 17:23
- Common moral, ethical values of all religions in Russia ensure state stability of country - Putin 12 September 2019, 17:21
- Guilt of men charged with attempted murder of Imam Chumakov unproven - Ingushetia jury 11 September 2019, 10:53
- State Dept. announces sanctions against 2 high-ranking Surgut investigators over Jehovah's Witnesses case (updated) 10 September 2019, 18:48
- The Russian Church official call modern Russian men a "national tragedy" 09 September 2019, 11:56
- The Russian Church will accept communities of the "Russian exarchate" ready to join it 09 September 2019, 11:20
- Russian Orthodox Church to continue reunification consultations with "Russian exarchate" 09 September 2019, 11:00
- Russian Jews to unveil monument to Roma victims of Nazism 05 September 2019, 16:00
- Jerusalem Patriarch takes the side of Russian Church in the "Ukrainian question" 05 September 2019, 15:57
- Constantinople appoints head of "Russian exarchate" a metropolitan responsible for establishing new church in Ukraine 05 September 2019, 13:06
- "Russian exarchate" in Europe refused to subordinate to Constantinople 04 September 2019, 10:54
- Some 40,000 Hasidic pilgrims expected to attend Rosh Hashanah celebration in Ukraine 03 September 2019, 11:07
- ROC metropolitan denies Constantinople accusations of non-canonical actions of the Moscow Patriarchate in Southeast Asia 29 August 2019, 15:43
- World Union of Old Believers set up in Moscow 29 August 2019, 13:05
- Holocaust victims monument vandalized in southern Ukraine 28 August 2019, 16:58
- Monument to Ukrainian nationalists unveiled at Jewish cemetery in Lvov Region 26 August 2019, 19:45
- Poroshenko warns of ongoing attacks on Ukrainian army, language, faith 26 August 2019, 17:13
- Founder of Russian icon museum - among victims of helicopter crash in Greece 22 August 2019, 12:50
- Al-Assad asks for Russian language teachers in Syria to counter Western culture and Wahhabism - Russian MP 20 August 2019, 15:28
- Ukraine has made a great contribution to combating antisemitism - Netanyahu 19 August 2019, 18:19
- Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church ceases to exist 14 August 2019, 20:12