17 May 2007, 10:33
Act of Canonical Communion signed in Moscow (updated)
Moscow, May 17, Interfax - The Act of Canonical Communion between the Russian Orthodox Church in Russia and abroad was signed at Moscow's Christ the Savior Cathedral on Thursday morning.
The historic document was signed by Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russia and by First Hierarch of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia Metropolitan Laurus.
The ceremony is being attended by President Vladimir Putin, several thousands Orthodox believers, including believers who have arrived from abroad, and about 500 journalists.
The Christ the Savior Cathedral is decorated with white flowers - a traditional adornment used on the Ascension holiday to symbolize renewal.
The signing of the Act of Canonical Communion symbolizes the return of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia into the fold of the Moscow Patriarchate and of the whole of the Orthodox world, which until recently did not recognize the Russian Church abroad. From now onwards, being part of the Mother Church, parishioners of the Russian Orthodox Church abroad will have the right to take communion at all of the world's Orthodox churches, while its clergy gains the right to serve jointly with the hierarchs and clergy of all 15 local Orthodox Churches.
The name of the Russian patriarch will now be mentioned in all services of the Russian Orthodox Church abroad before the name of the first hierarch.
According to the Act of Canonical Communion, the Moscow Patriarchate recognizes the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia as "an indissoluble part of the local Russian Orthodox Church, but independent in pastoral, educational, administrative, managerial, property and civil matters," and remaining "in canonical unity with the Fullness of the Russian Orthodox Church."
The Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia will as previously be run by its own Council of Bishops - "its supreme ecclesiastical, legislative, administrative, judiciary and controlling authority" convened by her First Hierarch in accordance with the Regulations. "This election is confirmed in accordance with the norms of the canonical law by the Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia and by the Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church."
Decisions on the establishment or liquidation of dioceses of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia will be made in agreement with the Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia and the Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church.
The bishops of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia, elected by her Council of Bishops, will be confirmed in accordance with canonical norms by the Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia and the Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church.
- Russian Orthodox priests to consecrate all oceans on Epiphany eve 18 January 2018, 15:58
- Continued attacks on churches of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church 17 January 2018, 16:42
- Priest Grozovsky to appeal 14-year pedophilia sentence 17 January 2018, 10:32
- Priest Grozovsky gets 14 years in high-security prison for pedophilia 17 January 2018, 10:12
- Directorate of Muslims of Uzbekistan disagrees with U.S. State Dept analysis of religious freedom in republic 15 January 2018, 16:24
- Putin's comparison of Lenin Mausoleum to veneration of holy relics not sensational - Peskov 15 January 2018, 14:08
- Putin defines New Valaam Monastery relics saved by Finland as unifying force 15 January 2018, 10:44
- Putin's words about similarity of Communism, Christianity smooth things over Lenin Mausoleum - CPRF 15 January 2018, 10:43
- Communist ideology similar to Christianity - Putin 15 January 2018, 10:00
- Russians have become more intolerant to treachery, abortions and homosexual connections for twenty years - poll 11 January 2018, 17:56
- Brother of leader of Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan calls on extremists to 'open their eyes' 11 January 2018, 17:39
- Orthodox children in Syrian Latakia received Christmas gifts from Moscow parish 09 January 2018, 18:41
- St. Petersburg among Russia's top three most popular places to spend Orthodox Christmas 09 January 2018, 14:36
- Patriarch Kirill concerned by social disintegration 07 January 2018, 16:57
- Church not going to hinder expert work on "Yekaterinburg remains" - Patriarch Kirill 07 January 2018, 16:56
- Putin offers Christmas greetings to Orthodox Christians 07 January 2018, 11:18
- Russia can have twice as many churches in 30 years - Metropolitan Hilarion 26 December 2017, 18:26
- Not less than 120 churches in Syria need to be restored - Metropolitan Hilarion 26 December 2017, 18:02
- Priestly ordination gives Feodor Konyukhov special power, his wife believes 25 December 2017, 16:31
- No one needs conflict in Donbass, it weakens all those involved - Patriarch Kirill 25 December 2017, 13:06
- All conditions of prisoner exchange in Donbass approved - Patriarch Kirill 25 December 2017, 11:43
- All ethnic and religious groups, parties and armed groups invited to Syrian National Dialogue Congress - Shoigu 22 December 2017, 17:40
- Scharansky is impressed by positive changes in life of Russian Jews 22 December 2017, 10:51
- Vucic invites Putin to Belgrade for 800th anniversary of autocephaly of Serbian Orthodox Church 20 December 2017, 10:43
- Governors should be evaluated for their affairs, not longevity of their rule, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 18 December 2017, 20:39
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls provocation Trump's decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel capital 18 December 2017, 16:01
- Not only Jews should participate in visits to Auschwitz, president of the Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia believes 18 December 2017, 14:52
- African patriarch predicts great future to Orthodoxy on his continent 08 December 2017, 10:59
- OSCE should take principled stance on discrimination against Christians in Middle East, effectively defend their rights - Lavrov 08 December 2017, 10:21
- Over 120 churches were destroyed in Syria during the war - Patriarch John of Antioch 07 December 2017, 18:08