17 May 2007, 10:33
Act of Canonical Communion signed in Moscow (updated)
Moscow, May 17, Interfax - The Act of Canonical Communion between the Russian Orthodox Church in Russia and abroad was signed at Moscow's Christ the Savior Cathedral on Thursday morning.
The historic document was signed by Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russia and by First Hierarch of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia Metropolitan Laurus.
The ceremony is being attended by President Vladimir Putin, several thousands Orthodox believers, including believers who have arrived from abroad, and about 500 journalists.
The Christ the Savior Cathedral is decorated with white flowers - a traditional adornment used on the Ascension holiday to symbolize renewal.
The signing of the Act of Canonical Communion symbolizes the return of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia into the fold of the Moscow Patriarchate and of the whole of the Orthodox world, which until recently did not recognize the Russian Church abroad. From now onwards, being part of the Mother Church, parishioners of the Russian Orthodox Church abroad will have the right to take communion at all of the world's Orthodox churches, while its clergy gains the right to serve jointly with the hierarchs and clergy of all 15 local Orthodox Churches.
The name of the Russian patriarch will now be mentioned in all services of the Russian Orthodox Church abroad before the name of the first hierarch.
According to the Act of Canonical Communion, the Moscow Patriarchate recognizes the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia as "an indissoluble part of the local Russian Orthodox Church, but independent in pastoral, educational, administrative, managerial, property and civil matters," and remaining "in canonical unity with the Fullness of the Russian Orthodox Church."
The Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia will as previously be run by its own Council of Bishops - "its supreme ecclesiastical, legislative, administrative, judiciary and controlling authority" convened by her First Hierarch in accordance with the Regulations. "This election is confirmed in accordance with the norms of the canonical law by the Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia and by the Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church."
Decisions on the establishment or liquidation of dioceses of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia will be made in agreement with the Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia and the Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church.
The bishops of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia, elected by her Council of Bishops, will be confirmed in accordance with canonical norms by the Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia and the Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church.
- Rights of Christians trampled in 75% of the countries - statistics 03 July 2015, 15:49
- Union of Orthodox Citizens suggests setting up monument to St. Vladimir at the Kievsky Railway Station in Moscow instead of Monument to Europe 03 July 2015, 14:40
- Russian Jewish community mourns over Nicholas Winton, who saved hundreds of children from the Holocaust 02 July 2015, 20:14
- Imam detained in Kyrgyzstan plotted terror acts, coup - Interior Ministry 02 July 2015, 14:55
- U.S. policy of spreading same-sex family values to find no global support - Russian MP 30 June 2015, 18:09
- Russian courts imposed fines for gay propaganda only twice last year 29 June 2015, 18:20
- Russian Church denies reports of time and place of Patriarch-Pope meeting being set 29 June 2015, 18:18
- Leader of Russia's major Protestant Church calls the day when homosexual "marriages" were legalized the most shameful in Christian history of the USA 29 June 2015, 17:21
- Georgian patriarch condemns same-sex "marriage" permitted in U.S 29 June 2015, 12:46
- St. Petersburg scientologists refused in registration 29 June 2015, 12:11
- Second attack on Orthodox church in month reported in Kiev Region 29 June 2015, 10:20
- U.S. decision to legalize same-sex "marriages" godless, sinful - Russian Church 29 June 2015, 10:00
- Russians are now more loyal to sex before marriage than they were 25 years ago - poll 26 June 2015, 18:09
- Priest for the Far North wanted by the Russian Orthodox Church 26 June 2015, 17:02
- Patriarch Kirill to perform funeral prayer for Yevgeny Primakov 26 June 2015, 16:56
- Uzbekistan concerned about women's recruitment for ISIL 26 June 2015, 11:47
- European Islamophobia makes Baku think about leaving the Council of Europe 26 June 2015, 11:45
- Kadyrov: Islamic State has no chances in Chechnya 26 June 2015, 11:43
- Tajik leader brands IS 'plague of the century' 26 June 2015, 10:16
- Head of Armenian Catholic Church dies 26 June 2015, 10:00
- Patrushev dubs activity of ISIL terrorists as main threat to peace, security 25 June 2015, 15:55
- Ukrainian Security Service reports detention of two Islamist women from Russia 25 June 2015, 15:01
- Only 3% of Russians said the main threat is from Islamic terrorists 25 June 2015, 12:31
- Church activists suggest making cases for gadgets with quotes from the Gospels 24 June 2015, 12:04
- Russian Security Council deputy secretary: the Middle East states should pray for Al-Assad 24 June 2015, 11:17
- Patriarch Kirill prays for repose of souls of Brest Fortress heroes 22 June 2015, 18:04
- Russia extradites Islamic Party of Turkestan extremist to Uzbekistan 22 June 2015, 17:40
- New attempts of the Ukrainian schismatics to set up a local church have no prospects, the UOC official believes 22 June 2015, 17:38
- Leader of Islamic Party is afraid to return to Tajikistan 22 June 2015, 10:40
- Archbishopric of Brussels and Belgium rejects Belgian courts' claims on its assets 22 June 2015, 10:13