17 May 2007, 10:33
Act of Canonical Communion signed in Moscow (updated)
Moscow, May 17, Interfax - The Act of Canonical Communion between the Russian Orthodox Church in Russia and abroad was signed at Moscow's Christ the Savior Cathedral on Thursday morning.
The historic document was signed by Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russia and by First Hierarch of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia Metropolitan Laurus.
The ceremony is being attended by President Vladimir Putin, several thousands Orthodox believers, including believers who have arrived from abroad, and about 500 journalists.
The Christ the Savior Cathedral is decorated with white flowers - a traditional adornment used on the Ascension holiday to symbolize renewal.
The signing of the Act of Canonical Communion symbolizes the return of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia into the fold of the Moscow Patriarchate and of the whole of the Orthodox world, which until recently did not recognize the Russian Church abroad. From now onwards, being part of the Mother Church, parishioners of the Russian Orthodox Church abroad will have the right to take communion at all of the world's Orthodox churches, while its clergy gains the right to serve jointly with the hierarchs and clergy of all 15 local Orthodox Churches.
The name of the Russian patriarch will now be mentioned in all services of the Russian Orthodox Church abroad before the name of the first hierarch.
According to the Act of Canonical Communion, the Moscow Patriarchate recognizes the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia as "an indissoluble part of the local Russian Orthodox Church, but independent in pastoral, educational, administrative, managerial, property and civil matters," and remaining "in canonical unity with the Fullness of the Russian Orthodox Church."
The Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia will as previously be run by its own Council of Bishops - "its supreme ecclesiastical, legislative, administrative, judiciary and controlling authority" convened by her First Hierarch in accordance with the Regulations. "This election is confirmed in accordance with the norms of the canonical law by the Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia and by the Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church."
Decisions on the establishment or liquidation of dioceses of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia will be made in agreement with the Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia and the Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church.
The bishops of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia, elected by her Council of Bishops, will be confirmed in accordance with canonical norms by the Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia and the Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church.
- Sobyanin believes there is enough mosques in Moscow 13 October 2015, 13:49
- Science without religion can lead to world catastrophe, the Moscow Nuclear University rector believes 13 October 2015, 13:26
- Islamists detained in central Moscow were trained in ISIL, planned terrorist attack in public transport - FSB (updated) 12 October 2015, 16:26
- Homosexuality deprives Elton John of creative energy, his former fan Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 12 October 2015, 14:11
- Theology in Russia is listed among scientific specialities 12 October 2015, 11:56
- Four Islamists escape from penitentiary in Kyrgyzstan 12 October 2015, 11:19
- Russia does not want to get involved in Syria's interreligious conflicts - Putin 12 October 2015, 10:00
- Kremlin thanks Russian religious leaders for support fight against terror in Syria 09 October 2015, 17:51
- Russia's peace, welfare hinge on success of its air force operation in Syria - Patriarch Kirill 09 October 2015, 12:25
- Cleric from biggest mosque in south Kyrgyzstan sentenced to five years for extremism 09 October 2015, 10:22
- Number of Islamic State members in Afghanistan reaches 3,500 over past year - Russian diplomat 08 October 2015, 17:59
- Crimean Tatars 'do not have right' to leave their motherland 08 October 2015, 14:57
- Nicholas II's doctor, servants may be canonized 08 October 2015, 10:00
- Over half Russians trust religious organizations - poll 07 October 2015, 18:04
- Moscow denies Lavrov's meetings with Khamenei 07 October 2015, 17:19
- Russian operation in Syria is no relation to Sunni-Shiite conflict - Kadyrov 07 October 2015, 16:20
- Two Russians died from heart attacks during this hajj 07 October 2015, 16:06
- Moscow mufti dubs Saudi clerics' decision to declare jihad against Russia as 'independent action' 07 October 2015, 11:45
- IS might be deliberately bombing mosques in Syria to put blame on Russian Air Force - Russian Defense Ministry 07 October 2015, 10:24
- IS terrorists find shelter from Russian airstrikes in mosques - Russian Defense Ministry 07 October 2015, 10:00
- Members of Tajik Islamic Renaissance Party charged with organizing armed mutiny 06 October 2015, 11:17
- Three Hizb ut-Tahrir members arrested in Chelyabinsk 06 October 2015, 10:02
- Russia's chief rabbi calls on intl community to eliminate terrorists, their ideology 05 October 2015, 15:24
- Head of Polish Orthodox Church accuses Kiev of being unable to protect the faithful 05 October 2015, 10:05
- Vandals paint anti-Russian inscription on a church wall in Kiev 02 October 2015, 16:07
- Three ISIL members detained in Chechnya 02 October 2015, 16:02
- Renowned representative of the Russians Abroad is ready to give blood of Nicholas nephew for expertise 02 October 2015, 15:33
- Supreme mufti backs Russia's decision to launch military operation against ISIL 02 October 2015, 10:05
- Lavrov discusses situation in Mideast with OIC secretary-general 01 October 2015, 10:53
- Russian military participation in Syria should bring peace to region - patriarch Kirill 30 September 2015, 18:35