21 May 2007, 13:57
Metropolitan Kirill: Putin as deeply believing man has sincerely promoted reunification of Russian Church
Moscow, May 21, Interfax - Metropolitan Kirill, head of the Moscow Patriarchate department for external church relations, is convinced that Russian President Vladimir Putin, a deeply believing man, promoted the reunification of the Russian Orthodox Church with all this heart.
‘The fact that Vladimir Putin is a believer is something I not only believe but also feel. It is important that he was a believer long before he became president. He was baptized when a child and his parents were believers’, Metropolitan Kirill said speaking on the NTV on Sunday.
As the Moscow Patriarchate spokesman stressed, ‘the fact that Vladimir Putin was a KGB officer only suggests that one is free to choose one’s own way in life and the defense of one’s Motherland has never been a bad task, first of all, from the religious point of view’.
Metropolitan Kirill noted that Putin’s role in the reunification of the Moscow Patriarchate and the Russian Church abroad ‘is very noble and significant’.
At the same time, the metropolitan stressed that ‘the whole process of reunification was certainly absolutely autonomous from the state and the authorities’. ‘We discussed canonical, theological and historiosophic matters. Unfortunately, the authorities could not help us in such things’, he stressed.
Metropolitan Kirill admitted that the first hierarchs of the Russian Orthodox Church did confess ‘the sin of division’.
‘Division is a sin. Division can be undertaken only in extreme situations. But a division did take place. Even if it happened basically for political reasons, church hierarchs and deeply devoted people found themselves involved in it. Today both are aware of their sin of division. They repent of their sin and the sin of our ancestors’, the metropolitan said.
He does not agree however that there are many opponents of the reunification among the parishioners of the Russian Church abroad.
‘I would be careful with figures. It is a very small minority that does not recognize the unity. Many of them belong wholly to the past. They are very old people; for them the war will never end; they will never understand that Russia is not the Soviet Union’, the Moscow Patriarchate spokesman stressed.
- Metropolitan Hilarion doesn't consider Moscow "the third Rome" 15 July 2019, 12:10
- Church split isn't matter for Russian, Ukrainian presidents - Russian Orthodox Church 15 July 2019, 11:16
- Rights of sexual minorities should not be violated in Russia – Moskalkova 10 July 2019, 14:10
- Priest's statement that women are less smart than men is nonsense - Russian human rights council head 10 July 2019, 11:50
- Holy Synod of Russian Church speaks out against split of Serbian Church in Montenegro 10 July 2019, 10:38
- Lukashenko denies rumors of secret talks he might have with Putin in Valaam 09 July 2019, 12:25
- Almost half of Jewish Europeans considering emigrating over antisemitism - report 08 July 2019, 18:41
- Women less smart than men - head of patriarch's commission 08 July 2019, 17:46
- Filaret 'Moscow's ally' - Orthodox Church of Ukraine 08 July 2019, 17:44
- Georgian priests demand square before parliament be cleared of protesters' banners 08 July 2019, 13:19
- Georgian LGBT community calls off Tbilisi action due to threats 08 July 2019, 12:06
- Putin speaks of pope's favorite writers, Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy 05 July 2019, 13:20
- Pope hails Russia's efforts to protect Christian holy places in Syria – Peskov 05 July 2019, 13:09
- Putin, Pope Francis did not discuss latter's visit to Russia – Peskov 05 July 2019, 13:07
- Putin talked with Pope Francis about protection of Christians in Syria 05 July 2019, 12:14
- Names of submariners killed in Barents Sea to be perpetuated on Kronstadt Naval Cathedral's walls 04 July 2019, 18:28
- Russian Orthodox Church hails contacts between Putin, Vatican 04 July 2019, 17:54
- Putin - Pope Francis meeting lasted exactly one hour (updated) 04 July 2019, 17:06
- Inviting Pope to Russia not to be raised during Putin's visit to Vatican - Ushakov 03 July 2019, 18:22
- Putin in Vatican to discuss restoration of Christian shrines in Syria, Roman Church's humanitarian projects in Donbas, Venezuela 03 July 2019, 18:20
- Filaret declares tomos granted by Constantinople to Ukraine false 02 July 2019, 18:03
- Peskov unaware whether Putin plans to invite Pope to Russia 01 July 2019, 14:39
- The Russian Orthodox Church condemns the law on bishops’ citizenship adopted in Latvia 01 July 2019, 13:29
- Soil from royal family burial site in Yekaterinburg to be re-examined - Memorial of Romanovs foundation 01 July 2019, 10:55
- Elton John musical genius but errs on issue of attitudes towards gays in Russia – Putin 01 July 2019, 10:39
- Russian Orthodox Church offers to set up the rights of embryo in legislation 28 June 2019, 17:35
- Ukraine is turning in Waterloo for Patriarch Bartholomew, the Russian church official believes 28 June 2019, 17:32
- Russian Orthodox Church can change its statute to include Russian exarchate of Constantinople 28 June 2019, 14:12
- Synod of Ukraine's new church deprives Filaret of right to run Kiev Diocese 24 June 2019, 17:53
- Underground church discovered in Moldavia 24 June 2019, 17:49