21 May 2007, 13:57
Metropolitan Kirill: Putin as deeply believing man has sincerely promoted reunification of Russian Church
Moscow, May 21, Interfax - Metropolitan Kirill, head of the Moscow Patriarchate department for external church relations, is convinced that Russian President Vladimir Putin, a deeply believing man, promoted the reunification of the Russian Orthodox Church with all this heart.
‘The fact that Vladimir Putin is a believer is something I not only believe but also feel. It is important that he was a believer long before he became president. He was baptized when a child and his parents were believers’, Metropolitan Kirill said speaking on the NTV on Sunday.
As the Moscow Patriarchate spokesman stressed, ‘the fact that Vladimir Putin was a KGB officer only suggests that one is free to choose one’s own way in life and the defense of one’s Motherland has never been a bad task, first of all, from the religious point of view’.
Metropolitan Kirill noted that Putin’s role in the reunification of the Moscow Patriarchate and the Russian Church abroad ‘is very noble and significant’.
At the same time, the metropolitan stressed that ‘the whole process of reunification was certainly absolutely autonomous from the state and the authorities’. ‘We discussed canonical, theological and historiosophic matters. Unfortunately, the authorities could not help us in such things’, he stressed.
Metropolitan Kirill admitted that the first hierarchs of the Russian Orthodox Church did confess ‘the sin of division’.
‘Division is a sin. Division can be undertaken only in extreme situations. But a division did take place. Even if it happened basically for political reasons, church hierarchs and deeply devoted people found themselves involved in it. Today both are aware of their sin of division. They repent of their sin and the sin of our ancestors’, the metropolitan said.
He does not agree however that there are many opponents of the reunification among the parishioners of the Russian Church abroad.
‘I would be careful with figures. It is a very small minority that does not recognize the unity. Many of them belong wholly to the past. They are very old people; for them the war will never end; they will never understand that Russia is not the Soviet Union’, the Moscow Patriarchate spokesman stressed.
- Patriarch Kirill: We fight for justice in Syria 21 March 2018, 16:46
- Church official regrets that unlike Oxford and Harvard restoration of university churches in Russia provoke negative reaction 20 March 2018, 14:07
- Traveler Konuykhov plans to set up an Orthodox cross at the bottom of the Marianna Trench 20 March 2018, 13:13
- Metropolitan Hilarion believes western countries do not pay attention to the provoked by them exodus of Christians from the Middle East 19 March 2018, 21:06
- Patriarch Kirill: presidential elections showed unity of Russians around their national leader 19 March 2018, 17:59
- The whole world will lose from anti-Russian actions of the West, the Russian church official believes 15 March 2018, 16:51
- Metropolitan Hilarion believes not only Bulgaria, but all countries of the former Warsaw Pact tend to revising history 12 March 2018, 19:13
- Jewish scientist proves that main provisions of Kabbalah coincides with scientific view on universe 12 March 2018, 18:24
- The Russian Church doubts the decency of the Armenian priest who spoke against divine nature of the Holy Fire 12 March 2018, 16:58
- 21 Orthodox churches to open in Moscow this year 07 March 2018, 16:35
- Captain of the Russian ice hockey team visited the Sredneuralsky Monastery to thank God for victory 07 March 2018, 16:32
- Arab Spring sparked global religious extremism - Russian Security Council 07 March 2018, 12:57
- Searchers in Islamic Cultural Center in Kiev related to possible illegal actions of certain citizens, rather than center itself - prosecutor's office 07 March 2018, 12:53
- Searches take place in Islamic Cultural Center in Kiev 07 March 2018, 12:33
- Two religious extremists killed in northern Azerbaijan 07 March 2018, 12:30
- Patriarch Kirill: 50 Orthodox Churches recently taken over in Ukraine 01 March 2018, 18:40
- Russia seriously concerned about Christians' persecution in Middle East - Russian deputy FM 01 March 2018, 18:01
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Bulgaria in March 27 February 2018, 17:53
- Lavrov warns against involving Orthodox Churches in political games 22 February 2018, 13:35
- Tajik Salafis intending to join terrorists in Syria dressed up as women to escape police 22 February 2018, 11:25
- To eliminate ISIS on its territory is not enough, its cells remind about themselves in Russia - Metropolitan Hilarion 22 February 2018, 11:01
- Total of 20,500 Muslims from Russia could carry out hajj in 2018 21 February 2018, 11:28
- Clergy could do for countering terrorism in Dagestan more than security services - human rights council head 21 February 2018, 11:25
- Cat who lives at the main Crimean construction site grew fat eating pancakes on Russian Maslenitsa and will observe shrimp diet 20 February 2018, 14:16
- Women killed in Kizlyar to be buried on territory of church as martyrs 20 February 2018, 11:06
- Kizlyar shooting an attempt to pit Dagestan's people, religions against one another – Vasilyev 20 February 2018, 11:04
- 82% of Russians consider unacceptable jokes about the Church 19 February 2018, 17:23
- Investigators probing Kizlyar shooter's affiliation with extremist organizations – Peskov 19 February 2018, 14:02
- Kadyrov says shocked by Kizlyar church attack 19 February 2018, 11:05
- Patriarch Kirill sees shooting in Dagestan as provocation aimed at causing discord between Orthodox, Muslims 19 February 2018, 10:39