21 May 2007, 13:57
Metropolitan Kirill: Putin as deeply believing man has sincerely promoted reunification of Russian Church
Moscow, May 21, Interfax - Metropolitan Kirill, head of the Moscow Patriarchate department for external church relations, is convinced that Russian President Vladimir Putin, a deeply believing man, promoted the reunification of the Russian Orthodox Church with all this heart.
‘The fact that Vladimir Putin is a believer is something I not only believe but also feel. It is important that he was a believer long before he became president. He was baptized when a child and his parents were believers’, Metropolitan Kirill said speaking on the NTV on Sunday.
As the Moscow Patriarchate spokesman stressed, ‘the fact that Vladimir Putin was a KGB officer only suggests that one is free to choose one’s own way in life and the defense of one’s Motherland has never been a bad task, first of all, from the religious point of view’.
Metropolitan Kirill noted that Putin’s role in the reunification of the Moscow Patriarchate and the Russian Church abroad ‘is very noble and significant’.
At the same time, the metropolitan stressed that ‘the whole process of reunification was certainly absolutely autonomous from the state and the authorities’. ‘We discussed canonical, theological and historiosophic matters. Unfortunately, the authorities could not help us in such things’, he stressed.
Metropolitan Kirill admitted that the first hierarchs of the Russian Orthodox Church did confess ‘the sin of division’.
‘Division is a sin. Division can be undertaken only in extreme situations. But a division did take place. Even if it happened basically for political reasons, church hierarchs and deeply devoted people found themselves involved in it. Today both are aware of their sin of division. They repent of their sin and the sin of our ancestors’, the metropolitan said.
He does not agree however that there are many opponents of the reunification among the parishioners of the Russian Church abroad.
‘I would be careful with figures. It is a very small minority that does not recognize the unity. Many of them belong wholly to the past. They are very old people; for them the war will never end; they will never understand that Russia is not the Soviet Union’, the Moscow Patriarchate spokesman stressed.
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia are persecuted for extremism, not faith 30 September 2019, 13:57
- Adult adopted children of arrested Orenburg priest don't believe accusations against him 30 September 2019, 13:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't need autocephaly - church head 30 September 2019, 11:57
- Russian Church welcomes the news about reunion with "Russia exarchate" clerics 30 September 2019, 10:37
- Putin greets Russian Jews on Rosh Hashanah 30 September 2019, 10:30
- Absolute majority of Russian Exarchate clerics in Europe join Moscow Patriarchate 28 September 2019, 19:42
- Russian Orthodox Church calls on media to refrain from labeling Archpriest Stremsky as pedophile before court ruling 27 September 2019, 16:51
- Defense lawyers for Orenburg priest charged with child sexual abuse appeal his arrest 27 September 2019, 16:03
- About ten priests came to the court to vouch for a person involved in Moscow case 27 September 2019, 11:41
- Gay couple from Russia, who are witnesses in case involving children they adopted, seeking asylum in U.S 26 September 2019, 19:58