28 May 2007, 10:41
Moscow authorities applaud police performance during attempted gay parade
Moscow, May 28, Interfax - Law enforcers acted resolutely and politely during the illegal attempt to hold a gay parade in Moscow, deputy head of the city administration press service Mikhail Solomentsev told Interfax.
"We must point to the clear, coordinated and polite actions of the police that acted strictly in the framework of law," he said.
He said that the police prevented an unauthorized rally of activists of gay movement who hoped to organize it despite the ban in Tverskaya square.
He said that that at about 11:30 a.m. a group of journalists gathered in the square waiting to see what would happen.
"Several individuals opposed to the plans of a gay parade hoped to mix with the journalists but police officers did not let them to the square," Solomentsev said. At 12:15 p.m. the representatives of sexual minorities who had planned to hold a rally arrived at the square on six cars, among them member of the German Bundestag Volker Beck, member of the State Duma Alexey Mitrofanov and a member of the legislative assembly of Bashkortostan Edward Murzin.
"Upon arrival they immediately approached journalists but several opponents to the gay movement managed to remain in the crowd and tried to attack the gays. For instance, one of them attacked a 55-year-old British citizen," Solomentsev said.
He added that the police prevented a collision and detained the attacker. He said that a total of 30 persons were detained in the city center for various breaches of conduct, 18 of them members of the gay movement.
"The attempted attack on gay activists once again proves that the city authorities had done right by prohibiting the parade and thus preventing bad clashes between the opponents who are numerous in this country and advocates of sexual minorities," Solomentsev said.
He said that the city government will continue preventing such illegal actions whoever may try to stage them, including activists of the gay movement.
- Russian school in Bethlehem to strengthen Russian-Palestinian ties - Putin 02 September 2014, 10:01
- In order to come to Russia Dalai Lama must quit politics - Lavrov 28 August 2014, 10:13
- Wahhabism supporters use Internet to campaign for extremism - Kadyrov 26 August 2014, 17:47
- Kadyrov asks clergy to resist early marriages in Chechnya 26 August 2014, 14:58
- Yamalo-Nenets authorities deny violations of Muslims' rights at local prison 26 August 2014, 14:57
- Russian social network VK says Islamic State accounts blocked 26 August 2014, 10:05
- Church burns down in Donetsk as shell hits is - diocese 26 August 2014, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill again calls on UN, Council of Europe, OSCE to help stop fighting in Ukraine 25 August 2014, 17:08
- Ukrainian army deliberately targets orthodox churches - archbishop of Gorlovka 25 August 2014, 16:55
- Pope Francis sends greetings to Ukraine on Independence Day 25 August 2014, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill asks Poroshenko to stop war, prays for its victims 25 August 2014, 10:16
- Shell damages Donetsk mosque 22 August 2014, 14:20
- Islamists killing of U.S. reporter Foley is barbaric - Moscow 22 August 2014, 11:21
- Historical muftiate revived in Crimea 22 August 2014, 11:09
- Ukrainian shell hits church in central Lugansk 21 August 2014, 16:21
- Clerics bless humanitarian aid sent to Ukraine 21 August 2014, 13:44
- Twice as many churches to be built in Moscow in frames of Program 200 20 August 2014, 13:25
- Church from Moscow Program-200 can be included in world’s five masterpieces of mosaic art 20 August 2014, 13:21
- Patriarch Kirill demands intl protection of Orthodox Christians in Ukraine 20 August 2014, 10:13
- Deputy mufti murder in Vladikavkaz 18 August 2014, 11:42
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church urges gunmen in eastern Ukraine to lay down arms 18 August 2014, 10:06
- Patriarch Kirill: Uniates, schismatics seeking to eradicate Orthodoxy in Ukraine 18 August 2014, 10:05
- Patriarch Kirill sends greetings to Metropolitan Onufry 18 August 2014, 10:03
- Metropolitan Onufry enthroned as primate of Ukrainian Church 18 August 2014, 10:01
- Court suspends Kharkov authorities' resolution giving Russian senator title of Kharkiv freeman for building churches 15 August 2014, 12:50
- N. Korea's missile test-launch not connected with arrival of Pope Francis in Seoul - Pyongyang 15 August 2014, 12:43
- Far-right groups threaten Kiev Region priest with reprisals 15 August 2014, 11:54
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church ready for dialogue with "Kiev Patriarchate", Autocephalous Church 15 August 2014, 11:05
- Production of Kosher food boosts thanks to sanctions 15 August 2014, 10:04
- Leaders of Jamaat Ansarullah Tajik wing killed in Afghanistan 15 August 2014, 10:03