28 May 2007, 10:41
Moscow authorities applaud police performance during attempted gay parade
Moscow, May 28, Interfax - Law enforcers acted resolutely and politely during the illegal attempt to hold a gay parade in Moscow, deputy head of the city administration press service Mikhail Solomentsev told Interfax.
"We must point to the clear, coordinated and polite actions of the police that acted strictly in the framework of law," he said.
He said that the police prevented an unauthorized rally of activists of gay movement who hoped to organize it despite the ban in Tverskaya square.
He said that that at about 11:30 a.m. a group of journalists gathered in the square waiting to see what would happen.
"Several individuals opposed to the plans of a gay parade hoped to mix with the journalists but police officers did not let them to the square," Solomentsev said. At 12:15 p.m. the representatives of sexual minorities who had planned to hold a rally arrived at the square on six cars, among them member of the German Bundestag Volker Beck, member of the State Duma Alexey Mitrofanov and a member of the legislative assembly of Bashkortostan Edward Murzin.
"Upon arrival they immediately approached journalists but several opponents to the gay movement managed to remain in the crowd and tried to attack the gays. For instance, one of them attacked a 55-year-old British citizen," Solomentsev said.
He added that the police prevented a collision and detained the attacker. He said that a total of 30 persons were detained in the city center for various breaches of conduct, 18 of them members of the gay movement.
"The attempted attack on gay activists once again proves that the city authorities had done right by prohibiting the parade and thus preventing bad clashes between the opponents who are numerous in this country and advocates of sexual minorities," Solomentsev said.
He said that the city government will continue preventing such illegal actions whoever may try to stage them, including activists of the gay movement.
- Russia's top intelligence officer warns of spread of radical Islam in Middle East and Asia 17 April 2015, 11:31
- Islamic State a challenge to stability of state system in Middle East - Pakistani expert 17 April 2015, 10:26
- Patriarch Kirill expresses concerns about crimes against Christians in Middle East 17 April 2015, 10:00
- Putin hopes conflict caused by Pope's statement on genocide of Armenians can be resolved (updated) 16 April 2015, 17:28
- Not enough is being done to protect Christians in Middle East - Putin 16 April 2015, 17:17
- Some counties that sponsor jihadist groups are re-directing them to Caucasus, Central Asia - Iranian defense minister 16 April 2015, 16:06
- Putin is concerned about presence of Russian citizens among ISIS members 16 April 2015, 15:24
- Golden iPhones with Rublev's Trinity at the backside for sale in Russia 15 April 2015, 18:40
- Patriarch Kirill consecrates a foundation stone of the church to commemorate Special Service officers 15 April 2015, 18:14
- Kazakh teenager, his partner convicted over plans to join ISIL 15 April 2015, 12:34
- Abbas accuses of attempts to Judaize East Jerusalem 14 April 2015, 17:10
- Georgian president grants 78 pardons for Easter 14 April 2015, 13:26
- Young Tajik Muslims banned from hajj 14 April 2015, 12:51
- Russian police bust Hizb ut-Tahrir units in Nizhnevartovsk and Chelyabinsk region - NAC 14 April 2015, 11:28
- Ukrainian militants shelled Donetsk neighborhood where Easter service was held 13 April 2015, 12:16
- Russian patriarch sends Easter greetings to ISS crew 13 April 2015, 10:02
- Great feast of Easter brings joy and hope to millions of Christians - Putin 13 April 2015, 10:01
- Georgian president, pope discuss regional security 10 April 2015, 17:47
- Ukraine releases abducted hieromonk 10 April 2015, 17:42
- ISIS begins embedding itself in terrorist organizations working in Russia - FSB 10 April 2015, 15:49
- FSB: ISIL poses real threat to SCO member countries 10 April 2015, 15:45
- Ukrainian border guards to allow crossing of residents living close to border during Easter holidays 10 April 2015, 13:14
- Fire at mosque in Dagestan's Kizlyar extinguished, no one hurt 10 April 2015, 10:40
- Jewish public and religious activists of Crimea ask to abolish sanctions against Russia 10 April 2015, 10:08
- Central mosque on fire in Dagestan's Kizlyar 10 April 2015, 10:06
- Four Bashkortostan residents convicted for organizing Hizb ut-Tahrir group in Russia 10 April 2015, 10:05
- Patriarch Kirill: Western sanctions illegal but useful experience for Russia 10 April 2015, 10:03
- Putin presents Tsipras with icon stolen by Nazis from Greece 10 April 2015, 10:01
- Onishchenko questions ethics of head transplant surgery 09 April 2015, 17:52
- New synagogue vandalized in Arkhangelsk 09 April 2015, 17:31