28 May 2007, 12:17
Orthodox-Catholic Commission for Theological Dialogue to discuss primacy of the Pope of Rome and Patriarch of Constantinople at the meeting in October in Italy
Vienna, May 28, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate intends to assert its own position in the discussion on the primacy of the Pope of Rome in Christendom at the second meeting of the Joint Orthodox-Catholic Theological Commission to take place in October in Ravenna, Italy.
‘Our principal affirmation is this: primacy in the Church is necessary, also on the universal level, but on the level of the Universal Church it cannot be the primacy of jurisdiction but only the primacy of honour’, Bishop Hilarion of Vienna and Austria, Russian Church representative to European organizations, told Interfax on Monday.
‘There can be no compromises’ in this matter for the Moscow Patriarchate, he said. The aim of the theological dialogue is not to make a compromise but to identify the original understanding of the primacy of the Bishop of Rome in the early undivided Church, he noted.
‘Historically, the primacy of the Bishop of Rome in the Christian Church, from our point of view, was that of honour, not jurisdiction. That is to say, the jurisdiction of the Pope of Rome was never applied to all the Churches’, the bishop stressed.
He recalls that in the second millennium, the Pope of Rome have become ‘de facto Patriarch of the West’, while in the East the Church is headed by four patriarchs of local Orthodox Churches.
After the breakup with Rome, primacy in the Orthodox world ‘shifted automatically as it were to Constantinople, though all the early canons ascribe to the Bishop of Constantinople the second place after the Bishop of Rome; no canon speaks of the primacy of Constantinople’, the bishop noted.
‘We consider it (the primacy of Constantinople - IF) exclusively as primacy of honour, while the See of Constantinople itself tends occasionally to give a broad interpretation to this primacy. These are the questions I believe around which principal problems will emerge’, Bishop Hilarion said.
He says the Moscow Patriarchate is drafting a special document to reflect the official point of view of the Russian Orthodox Church on primacy in the Universal Church in general and the primacies of the Bishops of Rome and Constantinople in particular.
See the full text of interview under the Exclusive heading.
- Pope Francis arrives in Havana to meet with Patriarch Kirill 12 February 2016, 22:12
- Patriarch Kirill arrives at Havana airport to meet with Pope Francis 12 February 2016, 21:45
- Patriarch Kirill hopeful about upcoming meeting with Pope (updated) 12 February 2016, 19:08
- DPR court hands down first death sentence 12 February 2016, 16:36
- Patriarch Kirill arrives in Cuba for meeting with Pope Francis 12 February 2016, 10:27
- Four Hizb ut-Tahrir members arrested in Crimea 12 February 2016, 10:00
- Pope's superiority as recognized by Catholics not to affect protocol of his meeting with Patriarch Kirill - organizer 11 February 2016, 17:42
- Catholics of Russia praying for success of meeting between patriarch and pope 11 February 2016, 15:08
- Patriarch Kirill and Pope Francis agree upon joint declaration (updated) 11 February 2016, 15:05
- Russian Foreign Ministry welcomes upcoming meeting between Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis (updated) 11 February 2016, 13:57
- Abkhazia has become the third European country with full ban on abortions 11 February 2016, 11:45
- Meeting of Patriarch Kirill and Pope Francis to continue for three hours 11 February 2016, 10:29
- New film about Griboyedov proves not 'outraged Muslim crowd' killed him, Mikhalkov says 10 February 2016, 19:40
- Russian govt not involved in preparing Patriarch-Pope meeting - spokesman 10 February 2016, 10:03
- Russian and Coptic churches support restoration of air contacts between Russia and Egypt 09 February 2016, 17:48
- Abortion ban law adopted in Abkhazia 09 February 2016, 14:42
- Former Yukos shareholders' attempts to claim title to Paris land plot challenged at court - Russian Embassy 09 February 2016, 10:40
- The Russian Church official considers symbolic that the patriarch meets with the pope 'at a crossroad' 09 February 2016, 10:03
- Church dismisses as "hoax" reports about seizure of church construction site in Paris 08 February 2016, 17:37
- Russian diplomats checking reports of Russia's Paris property seizure in Yukos lawsuit 08 February 2016, 17:17
- Patriarch, pope meeting 'a mutual step halfway' between Russia, Western world – Peskov 08 February 2016, 13:17
- Seven ISIL members preparing terror attacks in Moscow, St. Petersburg detained in Yekaterinburg 08 February 2016, 12:54
- Tajikistan's mutiny participants, leaders of outlawed Islamic Renaissance Party to face court 08 February 2016, 12:44
- Georgian Patriarchate asks to provide security to human rights activist from LGBT community 08 February 2016, 10:03
- Patriarch-pope meeting to benefit Christians in Islamic countries - mufti Tajuddin 08 February 2016, 10:02
- Rabbi Kogan blesses the patriarch-pope meeting 08 February 2016, 10:01
- Delaying patriarch-pope meeting "no longer possible" - Russian Orthodox Church 08 February 2016, 10:00
- Meeting between pope, patriarch of Moscow to mark new stage in relations between two Churches - joint statement 05 February 2016, 20:59
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church criticizes Ukraine's Foreign Ministry 05 February 2016, 17:47
- OSCE mission investigate the situation around the church in Ukrainian village of Ptichya 05 February 2016, 16:46