28 May 2007, 12:17
Orthodox-Catholic Commission for Theological Dialogue to discuss primacy of the Pope of Rome and Patriarch of Constantinople at the meeting in October in Italy
Vienna, May 28, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate intends to assert its own position in the discussion on the primacy of the Pope of Rome in Christendom at the second meeting of the Joint Orthodox-Catholic Theological Commission to take place in October in Ravenna, Italy.
‘Our principal affirmation is this: primacy in the Church is necessary, also on the universal level, but on the level of the Universal Church it cannot be the primacy of jurisdiction but only the primacy of honour’, Bishop Hilarion of Vienna and Austria, Russian Church representative to European organizations, told Interfax on Monday.
‘There can be no compromises’ in this matter for the Moscow Patriarchate, he said. The aim of the theological dialogue is not to make a compromise but to identify the original understanding of the primacy of the Bishop of Rome in the early undivided Church, he noted.
‘Historically, the primacy of the Bishop of Rome in the Christian Church, from our point of view, was that of honour, not jurisdiction. That is to say, the jurisdiction of the Pope of Rome was never applied to all the Churches’, the bishop stressed.
He recalls that in the second millennium, the Pope of Rome have become ‘de facto Patriarch of the West’, while in the East the Church is headed by four patriarchs of local Orthodox Churches.
After the breakup with Rome, primacy in the Orthodox world ‘shifted automatically as it were to Constantinople, though all the early canons ascribe to the Bishop of Constantinople the second place after the Bishop of Rome; no canon speaks of the primacy of Constantinople’, the bishop noted.
‘We consider it (the primacy of Constantinople - IF) exclusively as primacy of honour, while the See of Constantinople itself tends occasionally to give a broad interpretation to this primacy. These are the questions I believe around which principal problems will emerge’, Bishop Hilarion said.
He says the Moscow Patriarchate is drafting a special document to reflect the official point of view of the Russian Orthodox Church on primacy in the Universal Church in general and the primacies of the Bishops of Rome and Constantinople in particular.
See the full text of interview under the Exclusive heading.
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin asks not to confuse Christianity with the "cult of a child's tear" 06 March 2015, 17:48
- Moscow Patriarchate church seized in west Ukraine 06 March 2015, 16:04
- Islamic State earns up to $1Bln from Afghan heroin trafficking - Russian official 06 March 2015, 12:02
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin is displeased with West desire to lecture Russia and throw it to the East 05 March 2015, 14:03
- Key Orthodox church of Luhansk Region damaged by shelling 05 March 2015, 11:15
- Chechen drug addicts repent in mosque in front of Kadyrov, promise to quit 05 March 2015, 10:03
- Georgian patriarch didn't send Saakashvili request to return - patriarchate 05 March 2015, 10:02
- Russian Security Council secretary: ISIS is fine-tuning ties with militants in N. Caucasus 05 March 2015, 10:01
- Group of Islamists planning terrorist attacks held in Azerbaijan 05 March 2015, 10:00
- People observing fast do not care for sanctions - Mufti Tajuddin 04 March 2015, 14:25
- Pope's state secretary meets Belarusian president, Church leader 04 March 2015, 10:02
- Russian Supreme Court rejects appeal against Pussy Riot verdict 04 March 2015, 10:01
- Group of female Hizb ut-Tahrir followers caught in Bishkek 03 March 2015, 14:08
- Christians under pressure in West - Lavrov 03 March 2015, 10:02
- UN, EU organizations must act jointly to protect Christians - Lavrov 03 March 2015, 10:01
- Christians persecuted in Ukraine by national-radical forces - Lavrov 03 March 2015, 10:00
- Two women convicted for religious, extremist Internet propaganda in Uzbekistan 02 March 2015, 17:43
- Russian Church calls for protection for its churches in Ukraine 02 March 2015, 17:39
- Ukrainian nationalists attack Moscow Patriarchate's church in Sumy 02 March 2015, 17:13
- Tajik Islamic Revival Party doesn't recognize election outcome 02 March 2015, 17:01
- Islamic trace among the possible reasons for the Nemtsov murder 02 March 2015, 10:04
- Lavrov to raise issue of Christians' protection with UNHRC in Geneva 02 March 2015, 10:03
- Russian Church hopes that Nemtsov murder will not be used for political games 02 March 2015, 10:02
- Russian Church urges world to stop terror, protect Christians in Middle East 27 February 2015, 17:41
- Orthodox travelers from Russia to cross Sahara 27 February 2015, 17:16
- Russia outlaws ISIL, Muslim Brotherhood - FSB 27 February 2015, 15:47
- Some one million Jews live in Russia 27 February 2015, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill considers discussions in social nets the vanity fair 27 February 2015, 10:01
- FJCR's position on outcome of WWII deserves deep respect - Medvedev 26 February 2015, 16:51
- Jews feel more comfortable in Russia than in Europe - Berl Lazar 26 February 2015, 16:00