28 May 2007, 12:17
Orthodox-Catholic Commission for Theological Dialogue to discuss primacy of the Pope of Rome and Patriarch of Constantinople at the meeting in October in Italy
Vienna, May 28, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate intends to assert its own position in the discussion on the primacy of the Pope of Rome in Christendom at the second meeting of the Joint Orthodox-Catholic Theological Commission to take place in October in Ravenna, Italy.
‘Our principal affirmation is this: primacy in the Church is necessary, also on the universal level, but on the level of the Universal Church it cannot be the primacy of jurisdiction but only the primacy of honour’, Bishop Hilarion of Vienna and Austria, Russian Church representative to European organizations, told Interfax on Monday.
‘There can be no compromises’ in this matter for the Moscow Patriarchate, he said. The aim of the theological dialogue is not to make a compromise but to identify the original understanding of the primacy of the Bishop of Rome in the early undivided Church, he noted.
‘Historically, the primacy of the Bishop of Rome in the Christian Church, from our point of view, was that of honour, not jurisdiction. That is to say, the jurisdiction of the Pope of Rome was never applied to all the Churches’, the bishop stressed.
He recalls that in the second millennium, the Pope of Rome have become ‘de facto Patriarch of the West’, while in the East the Church is headed by four patriarchs of local Orthodox Churches.
After the breakup with Rome, primacy in the Orthodox world ‘shifted automatically as it were to Constantinople, though all the early canons ascribe to the Bishop of Constantinople the second place after the Bishop of Rome; no canon speaks of the primacy of Constantinople’, the bishop noted.
‘We consider it (the primacy of Constantinople - IF) exclusively as primacy of honour, while the See of Constantinople itself tends occasionally to give a broad interpretation to this primacy. These are the questions I believe around which principal problems will emerge’, Bishop Hilarion said.
He says the Moscow Patriarchate is drafting a special document to reflect the official point of view of the Russian Orthodox Church on primacy in the Universal Church in general and the primacies of the Bishops of Rome and Constantinople in particular.
See the full text of interview under the Exclusive heading.
- Russian bomb disposal experts clear of mines 2 mosques in Aleppo 09 December 2016, 18:04
- Kyrgyzstan to develop state program to fight terrorism, religious extremism 09 December 2016, 16:58
- The Russian Church calls false information about supernatural events at the restoration site of the Lord's Sepulchre 08 December 2016, 14:29
- Prosecutor asks court to sentence ex-student Karaulova to 5 years in prison for attempt to join ISIL 08 December 2016, 12:17
- Patriarch Kirill urges Europeans to follow Christ contrary to public fashion 07 December 2016, 17:58
- Patriarch Kirill prays 'for healing of wounds of Russian immigration' at Sainte-Genevieve-des-Bois Cemetery 06 December 2016, 15:17
- Patriarch Kirill wishes for Russia, France to develop allied relations amid current political challenges 06 December 2016, 12:17
- Patriarch Kirill, Archbishop of Paris discuss erosion of Christian values in Europe 05 December 2016, 18:20
- Hollande, Patriarch Kirill discuss protection of Christians in Middle East, Ukraine crisis 05 December 2016, 16:16
- Patriarch Kirill meets with French president 05 December 2016, 13:55
- ISIL cell leader involved in murdering imams eliminated in Makhachkala 05 December 2016, 13:39
- Patriarch Kirill calls on compatriots abroad not to cut spiritual, cultural ties with motherland 05 December 2016, 10:01
- Islamist with improvised bombs detained in Bishkek 02 December 2016, 18:33
- Azerbaijani president concerned by confrontation in Muslim world 02 December 2016, 18:28
- Russian Orthodox Church sees care for people in presidential Address 02 December 2016, 13:51
- Old curse was broken when the Cathedral of Christ the Savior was built in Moscow 01 December 2016, 16:12
- Rabbi Lazar believes Russians give example of love and kindness 01 December 2016, 15:11
- Leading Syrian theologian supported a legal ban on Wahhabism 01 December 2016, 14:48
- Latvia's entry ban on Kurayev another Russophobic gesture - Russian Foreign Ministry 01 December 2016, 11:29
- Jewish community of Russia intercedes for Tatiana Navka 29 November 2016, 18:21
- Mufti of Ukraine is afraid that the country will be turned in ISIS territory 28 November 2016, 17:02
- Patriarch Kirill calls Fidel Castro a sincere friend of the Russian Church 28 November 2016, 12:43
- Latvia's entry ban for Protodeacon Kurayev "beyond comprehension" - Russian embassy 28 November 2016, 11:50
- Turkey does not recognize the Kiev Muslim Board of Crimea 25 November 2016, 18:29
- Patriarch Kirill to consecrate church of Russian spiritual-cultural center in Paris 25 November 2016, 18:20
- Russians mostly confide in the president, army and Church 25 November 2016, 13:25
- European Parliament names Russian religious organizations instruments of external propaganda 23 November 2016, 19:55
- Six million Christians emigrated from Middle East over past 100 years – expert 23 November 2016, 16:02
- U.S. Orthodox believers expect Trump will develop good relations with Russia 23 November 2016, 11:43
- Patriarch Kirill to President Putin: we have built supporting structure for state-church relationship 23 November 2016, 11:00