29 May 2007, 11:53
Gays not dropping plans to organize parade in Moscow
Moscow, May 29, Interfax - The organizing committee has decided to hold a new gay parade in Moscow on May 31, 2008, gay parade organizer Nikolay Alexeyev told Interfax on Tuesday.
He said that the action involving representatives of sexual minorities in central Moscow last Sunday "generated enormous coverage in Russia and foreign mass media."
Alexeyev, who was released from custody in court after a day's detention at the Tverskoye police precinct on Monday, repeated his intentions to become the first representative of sex minorities in the State Duma in Russian history.
"I am planning to run for the Duma in December. This can fundamentally change the circumstances in holding the next parade," he said.
Moscow city authorities banned the gay parade on May 27. In response the organizers staged an unauthorized picket outside the mayor's office, after which Alexeyev was detained.
On June 9 a justice of the peace of Section 369 will pass a judgment on Alexeyev's administrative offense.
- Splashes of religiosity characterize war years in the USSR, the Patriarchate official says 28 April 2015, 10:10
- World leaders should become allies following Stalin's, Churchill's and Roosevelt's example, Russian Church official believes 27 April 2015, 17:23
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church against renaming the Victory Day 27 April 2015, 13:47
- Russian Church: Western calls for religious neutrality of state play into the hands of chaos scenario 24 April 2015, 17:51
- Yerevan memorial complex hosting service for Armenian genocide victims 24 April 2015, 10:25
- Armenian Church canonizes victims of Ottoman genocide 24 April 2015, 10:00
- Church official urges vets to focus on animal's health, not profit 23 April 2015, 12:14
- Church of Moscow Patriarchate set on fire in Babi Yar again 23 April 2015, 10:00
- Lavrov: Islamic State is Russia's main enemy now 22 April 2015, 12:51
- FSB officer claims existence of "prison Jamaats" in Russia 22 April 2015, 12:06
- Innocent people suffer from sanctions between Russia and West - Pope of Rome 22 April 2015, 10:02
- Three jailed for life over murder of prominent religious leader in Dagestan 21 April 2015, 12:07
- Russian patriarch blames IS for Islamic demonization 21 April 2015, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Christian leaders to unite over killing, intimidation of Christians in Mideast 21 April 2015, 10:02
- Good Russia-Germany relations important for whole world - Patriarch Kirill 21 April 2015, 10:00
- Lavrov hopes that the Orthodox Christians in Ukraine "will not allow anyone to manipulate them as a pawn in someone else's game" 20 April 2015, 18:18
- Church hopes for creation of Orthodox banking in Russia 20 April 2015, 17:48
- Armenian Church to canonize all victims of Armenian genocide 20 April 2015, 17:45
- Two Mormon missionaries detained near St. Petersburg 20 April 2015, 10:00
- Russia's top intelligence officer warns of spread of radical Islam in Middle East and Asia 17 April 2015, 11:31
- Islamic State a challenge to stability of state system in Middle East - Pakistani expert 17 April 2015, 10:26
- Patriarch Kirill expresses concerns about crimes against Christians in Middle East 17 April 2015, 10:00
- Putin hopes conflict caused by Pope's statement on genocide of Armenians can be resolved (updated) 16 April 2015, 17:28
- Not enough is being done to protect Christians in Middle East - Putin 16 April 2015, 17:17
- Some counties that sponsor jihadist groups are re-directing them to Caucasus, Central Asia - Iranian defense minister 16 April 2015, 16:06
- Putin is concerned about presence of Russian citizens among ISIS members 16 April 2015, 15:24
- Golden iPhones with Rublev's Trinity at the backside for sale in Russia 15 April 2015, 18:40
- Patriarch Kirill consecrates a foundation stone of the church to commemorate Special Service officers 15 April 2015, 18:14
- Kazakh teenager, his partner convicted over plans to join ISIL 15 April 2015, 12:34
- Abbas accuses of attempts to Judaize East Jerusalem 14 April 2015, 17:10