18 June 2007, 14:09
Vatican has no plans to convert Russia to Catholicism - cardinal Poupard
Moscow, June 18, Interfax - The Vatican does not want to convert Russia to Catholicism, and relations with the Moscow Patriarchate are improving, President of the Pontifical Council for Culture Cardinal Paul Poupard told students of the Orthodox St. Tikhon Humanitarian University on Monday.
Poupard said the Vatican never wanted to make Russia a Catholic country. The Holy See is praying for a Christian Russia and further preaching by Orthodox and Catholic disciples, he said.
The cardinal admitted differences between Orthodox and Catholic clerics as members of one and the same family.
The two churches want to speak about their belief, he said, adding that at the meeting he was wearing a cross he had received from Patriarch of Moscow and all Russia Alexy II.
The atmosphere of inter-church relations has changed, Apostolic Nuncio to Russia Archbishop Antonio Mennini said. He said they could affirm Christian values together and be friends.
The Russian Orthodox Church feels that it is respected by the Holy See, the archbishop said. The Vatican regards the Russian Orthodox Church as the national church and welcomes the opportunity to meet and learn about the Russian religious tradition, he said.
- Lavrov meets with Orthodox monastery abbess in Guatemala 27 March 2015, 10:46
- Pilot Savchenko’s files contain information about torturing a priest 26 March 2015, 19:25
- Kolomoisky's resignation is the sign of Ukraine's growing dependence on the West, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 26 March 2015, 18:26
- Russians trained by ISIL may be used against home country 26 March 2015, 15:08
- Kyrgyzstan outlaws Islamic State 25 March 2015, 15:36
- Chechen leader, Jordanian king discuss fight against IS 25 March 2015, 10:00
- Moscow Patriarchate priest assaulted in west Ukraine 24 March 2015, 10:00
- Ukrainians trust Church the most - poll 23 March 2015, 17:22
- Over 5,000 mercenaries from CIS fight on ISIS side - expert 23 March 2015, 16:15
- Schoolchildren from Turkey, Italy, Egypt to discuss fight against religious extremism in St. Petersburg 23 March 2015, 12:57
- Uzbekistan worried about ISIL activity near its borders 23 March 2015, 12:19
- Patriarch Kirill awards Lavrov 23 March 2015, 11:28
- Chubais doubts Nemtsov murder motivated by religious hatred 23 March 2015, 10:15
- IS recruiters targeting North Caucasus students - envoy Melikov 23 March 2015, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about legalization of same-sex "marriage", abortion issue, and secularism in Europe 20 March 2015, 17:35
- The Russian Church conveys twenty five tones of humanitarian help to Donbass residents 20 March 2015, 14:41
- Another Moscow Patriarchate church seized in Ukraine 20 March 2015, 10:00
- Leader of women's wing of Hizb ut-Tahrir detained, arms cache discovered in south Kyrgyzstan 19 March 2015, 10:02
- Head of the Russian State Archive suggests to exhume remains of the tzar family to examine them again 18 March 2015, 16:28
- Russian Central Muslim Board urges artists to be more delicate about believers' feelings 16 March 2015, 14:57
- Russia is urged to revive Christianity in Europe - Patriarch Kirill 16 March 2015, 14:21
- Fire in Novodevichy Convent bell tower did not damage building 16 March 2015, 13:42
- Tannhauser opera staged in Novosibirsk desecrates Christian symbols - Mufti of Moscow 13 March 2015, 18:44
- Patriarch Kirill tried the role of a schoolboy at the Moscow Region Gymnasium 13 March 2015, 17:14
- Fire in bell tower of Nizhny Novgorod cathedral extinguished 12 March 2015, 17:42
- Church to help mortgage debtors settle their problems and asks authorities not to leave them in the lurch 12 March 2015, 16:53
- Russia to import halal meat to Arab countries 12 March 2015, 13:25
- Alexander Nevsky Cathedral burning in Nizhny Novgorod 12 March 2015, 12:54
- Famous Uzbek Islamic theologian dies in gym 12 March 2015, 10:26
- Court drops case against Novosibirsk opera theater director 12 March 2015, 10:07