16 July 2007, 15:28
Orthodox Ruthenians protest against American NMD in Transcarpathia
Uzhgorod, July 16, Interfax - The Ruthenians oppose plans to set up American NMD in Rovna and Stoj planes, the Ruthenian leader Archpriest Dimitry Sidor, speaker of the Sojm (Ruthenial national assembly) and rector of the Holy Cross cathedral in Uzhgorod, said.
'Most Ruthenian groups decided to campaign for declaring Transcarpathia demilitarized zone, where only hotels and sanatoriums may be built,' Fr. Dimitry told Interfax.
He said that in 1980s he protested against large radar constructed near Mukachevo, Transcarpathian Region.
'But how could I predict that Americans would come to replace the Soviets with their military bases!' he said.
Commenting the schism of the Orthodox Church in Ukraine, the speaker of the Ruthenian Sojm said that the Ukrainian people 'really valued their belonging to the canonical Orthodoxy' and would never leave the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate 'regardless of any political processes in Ukraine.'
'The Ruthenians consider Filaret's schismatics as cultist who may be accepted into the Church only if they repent,' he said.
The Ruthenian language, he added, is very close to the Church Slavic, 'so we do not have the worship-language problem that is known in Russia and especially in Ukraine.'
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11
- Kadyrov waiting for Zyuganov's apology for remarks on Lenin's burial 07 November 2017, 10:07
- Putin offers Trump condolences over Texas tragedy 07 November 2017, 10:02
- Mausoleum is, must remain Lenin's burial place – Zyuganov 02 November 2017, 18:04
- Head of human rights council suggests turning Mausoleum into museum, selling tickets to enter it, think of Lenin's body as pharaoh's mummy 02 November 2017, 17:26
- Majority of Russian Protestants unlike western stand for traditional morals - Metropolitan Hilarion 02 November 2017, 16:37
- Patriarch Kirill invites Patriarch Ilia II to Moscow to celebrate 100th anniversary of restoration of Russian patriarchate 02 November 2017, 16:36
- Lenin's burial not on Kremlin agenda - Peskov 02 November 2017, 13:33
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes 'color' revolutions for using quasi-religious rhetoric 02 November 2017, 10:01
- Church representative speaks against renaming the October Revolution to "Russian" one 01 November 2017, 16:30
- Russian Jews point out to Patriarch Kirill’s special role in opposing Anti-Semitism and xenophobia 01 November 2017, 14:00
- Patriarch Kirill: if we do not educate our people, others will do it 01 November 2017, 13:29
- President and patriarch opens a monument to victims of repressions in Moscow 31 October 2017, 10:52
- Patriarch Kirill fears total control over people via gadgets 31 October 2017, 10:28