06 August 2007, 14:28
Cardinal Etchegaray to meet Patriarch Alexy and take part in celebration of the 10th anniversary of the Novosibirsk Catholic cathedral
Moscow, August 6, Interfax - The Vice-Dean of College of Cardinals Roger Etchegaray has arrived to Russia, a spokesman for the Russian Catholic Bishops’ Conference told Interfax on Monday.
The purpose of his visit is participating in celebration of the 10th anniversary of the Roman Catholic cathedral of the Transfiguration in Novosibirsk that will take place on August 9-12. Prior to that the cardinal will have an excursion to the Lake Baikal.
Yet before going to Siberia, Etchegaray is going to meet Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russia on Tuesday.
Their previous meeting took place in June 2006 when Etchegaray was in Moscow as a member of the Roman Catholic delegation to the World Summit of Religious Leaders.
Roger Marie Elie Cardinal Etchegaray was born in France in 1922. In 1970s and 1980s he was an auxiliary bishop in Paris and archbishop of Marseille. He was president of the French Bishops’ Conference and the first president of the Council of Episcopal Conferences of Europe.
In 1984 Cardinal Etchegaray was appointed president of Cor Unum and Justice and Peace that he headed respectively until 1995 and 1998.
In 1998 he was made Cardinal-Bishop of Porto-Santa Rufina. The newly-elected Pope Benedict XVI appointed Etchegaray Vice-Dean of College of Cardinals.
- Patriarch Kirill calls on believers to refrain from visiting churches amid coronavirus pandemic 29 March 2020, 20:09
- Opera singer Svetlana Kasyan hospitalized with coronavirus 28 March 2020, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the end of pandemic 28 March 2020, 17:58
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia will give Pesach food sets to all parishioners 28 March 2020, 17:55
- Case of leader of Aum Shinrikyo group in Russia sent to prosecutor 26 March 2020, 19:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't plan to cancel Easter processions 26 March 2020, 16:25
- Russian Orthodox Church shows understanding of Sobyanin's advice not to attend service but says churches will stay open 26 March 2020, 15:08
- Sobyanin asks Muscovites not to visit religious sites 26 March 2020, 10:49
- Ukrainian monasteries will assign premises for Covid-19 patients 25 March 2020, 19:24
- FJCR closes all its synagogues in Russia 25 March 2020, 15:49
- Monastery south of Moscow thrown away dozens of dogs, police was told they miraculously flew away 24 March 2020, 17:40
- Lukashenko on coronavirus: If we get through until Orthodox Easter, we'll live 24 March 2020, 14:40
- Kyrgyz missionary contracts Covid-19 in Pakistan - Kyrgyz Foreign Ministry 23 March 2020, 14:40
- Georgian churches to let in max. 10 people in state of emergency - premier 23 March 2020, 12:29
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia's council postponed due to coronavirus 20 March 2020, 19:52
- Rabbi beaten to death in Dagestan 20 March 2020, 19:12
- Friday prayers cancelled in Moscow's mosques 20 March 2020, 13:33
- Tajikistan lifts ban on joint prayers in mosques 19 March 2020, 19:02
- Russian Orthodox Church does not exclude usage of plastic spoons for Communion 18 March 2020, 16:43
- Chief rabbi of Russia closes his synagogue 18 March 2020, 14:12
- Russian Synod orders increased sanitary measures at all dioceses with coronavirus 18 March 2020, 10:40
- Cathedral of Christ the Savior receives bomb threat on Tue 18 March 2020, 10:38
- Russian Church introduces exceptional measures for coronavirus prevention 17 March 2020, 19:00
- Leader of Pentecostals considers coronavirus a sign of coming Apocalypse 17 March 2020, 14:46
- Moscow's stance on Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem deals with reinstatement of Russia's property rights - Russian Embassy in Israel 17 March 2020, 11:12
- Rectors of Moscow churches will help elderly parishioners to buy and deliver food to their homes 17 March 2020, 11:08
- Russian Orthodox Church won't abolish liturgies even if coronavirus spreads 17 March 2020, 11:05
- Russian Church urges not to panic because of coronavirus 17 March 2020, 11:03
- Moldova closes churches 13 March 2020, 19:56
- Russian Jews reject idea that coronavirus sign of world ending 13 March 2020, 16:22