09 August 2007, 12:24
Academic letter on ‘clericalization of the country’ dictated by hatred towards Church - St. Tikhon’s University head of a chair
Moscow, August 9, Interfax - Victor Lega, assistant professor and head of the Chair of Basic Theology and Apologetics at St. Tikhon’s Orthodox Humanitarian University, has compared the academicians of the Russian Academy of Sciences, the authors of the recent letter to the president accusing the Church, to the lowest-mark pupils.
‘They are engaged in physics and will never let a dilettante into it, which is quite right’. They would tell him to study physics first and then to judge. For all that, they themselves judge theological disciplines like poor pupils, arguing about things they know only very superficially and even misunderstand’, Lega said in an interview with Interfax.
He advised that the academicians should read modern books, which reveal ‘a striking consistency of modern cosmology, geology and biology with the teaching on the creation’.
He also described as ‘crocodile tears’ the academicians’ fears that religious knowledge could bedevil schoolchildren.
‘I have not read a single appeal of scientists to the president concerning crime or drug-addiction or propagation of pornography. They would keep silent about it. But when a priest comes to a school, they raise noise. Souls are something they don’t care of. The apparent anti-church, anti-Christian orientation of their letter is evident’, Lega is convinced.
He believes the deep-laid cause for the appearance of such a letter is ‘hatred towards the Church’ while an external reason is ‘good, as they, in their sincere but wrong belief, seek to be of use to the state, as they understand it’, the scholar noted.
‘I see a third reason in their ignorance. They do not know what theology is. They do not know the history of the Church or the relations between religion and science. They do know much. And they make elementary logical mistakes betraying the anti-church mood of these letters. To avoid all this I always advise everyone, be it an academician or a first-grade pupil: read more!’ Lega said.
- Church official: scientologists, Jehovah's Witnesses are American agents 30 January 2015, 17:35
- Russian Supreme Court says North Caucasian jihadists fighting for ISIL 30 January 2015, 16:14
- Russians find publication of blasphemous cartoons unacceptable - poll 30 January 2015, 15:11
- Klitschko overturns decision to strip Moscow Patriarchate of tax break 30 January 2015, 10:17
- Russian citizens find publication of cartoons insulting people's religious feelings unacceptable - poll 30 January 2015, 10:16
- Church to commemorate perished Russian sailors to be build in Japan 30 January 2015, 10:08
- Kyrgyz protest against Prophet Muhammad cartoons calls for boycott of French perfumes 29 January 2015, 14:14
- Russians are against religious cartoons - poll 28 January 2015, 17:00
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about church arsons in Ukraine 28 January 2015, 14:17
- Rabbi Lazar thanks WWII veterans for saving world from fascism 28 January 2015, 10:02
- Police bust female extremist cell in southern Kyrgyzstan 27 January 2015, 17:54
- Church set on fire in Kiev 27 January 2015, 16:19
- Russia calls for inquiry into Babi Yar church arson 27 January 2015, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill condemns cartoons of Prophet Muhammad 26 January 2015, 18:45
- Over two thirds of Russians aware of Charlie Hebdo attack - poll 26 January 2015, 17:08
- Church torched in Babi Yar 26 January 2015, 16:40
- Some 3,000 strong protest in Jalal-Abad against Muhammad caricatures 26 January 2015, 14:47
- Roskomnadzor issues warning to newspaper RBC for publishing images offensive to Muslims 26 January 2015, 12:10
- Peskov would like "Leviathan" movie to be released in Russia 26 January 2015, 10:06
- Duma calls on journalists not to incite religious hatred 26 January 2015, 10:05
- Warsaw's stance insults memory of Auschwitz liberators - FJCR head 23 January 2015, 13:17
- Russia could be one of world's last civilizations - Church official 23 January 2015, 10:16
- Dagestan leader slams insults to Muslims' religious feelings 23 January 2015, 10:05
- Russia needs to revive Soviet-era sense of solidarity - Patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:11
- Russian political parties must not destroy basic values - patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:01
- Russian bishop blasts child euthanasia, abortions 22 January 2015, 18:13
- Lavrov considers caricatures on religious topics tasteless 22 January 2015, 10:44
- Church will support fight against nationalism and Nazism - Patriarch 22 January 2015, 10:19
- U.S., French, Israeli flags burned during Baku protest against Muhammad cartoons 21 January 2015, 18:37
- Russian Church expresses solidarity with Muslims who protested in Grozny 21 January 2015, 10:03