09 August 2007, 12:24
Academic letter on ‘clericalization of the country’ dictated by hatred towards Church - St. Tikhon’s University head of a chair
Moscow, August 9, Interfax - Victor Lega, assistant professor and head of the Chair of Basic Theology and Apologetics at St. Tikhon’s Orthodox Humanitarian University, has compared the academicians of the Russian Academy of Sciences, the authors of the recent letter to the president accusing the Church, to the lowest-mark pupils.
‘They are engaged in physics and will never let a dilettante into it, which is quite right’. They would tell him to study physics first and then to judge. For all that, they themselves judge theological disciplines like poor pupils, arguing about things they know only very superficially and even misunderstand’, Lega said in an interview with Interfax.
He advised that the academicians should read modern books, which reveal ‘a striking consistency of modern cosmology, geology and biology with the teaching on the creation’.
He also described as ‘crocodile tears’ the academicians’ fears that religious knowledge could bedevil schoolchildren.
‘I have not read a single appeal of scientists to the president concerning crime or drug-addiction or propagation of pornography. They would keep silent about it. But when a priest comes to a school, they raise noise. Souls are something they don’t care of. The apparent anti-church, anti-Christian orientation of their letter is evident’, Lega is convinced.
He believes the deep-laid cause for the appearance of such a letter is ‘hatred towards the Church’ while an external reason is ‘good, as they, in their sincere but wrong belief, seek to be of use to the state, as they understand it’, the scholar noted.
‘I see a third reason in their ignorance. They do not know what theology is. They do not know the history of the Church or the relations between religion and science. They do know much. And they make elementary logical mistakes betraying the anti-church mood of these letters. To avoid all this I always advise everyone, be it an academician or a first-grade pupil: read more!’ Lega said.
- Russia, U.S. must melt ice in relationship, overcome global crises - Patriarch Kirill 21 November 2014, 19:02
- At least 50 churches were damaged in military action in Ukraine - Russian expert 21 November 2014, 18:20
- Uniates following UOC hierarchs distanced from memorandum for the Local Church 21 November 2014, 16:03
- Moscow wants Islamic world disagreements resolved - Russian foreign minister 21 November 2014, 12:14
- Putin, patriarch unveil monument to Alexander I outside Kremlin 21 November 2014, 10:02
- Jerusalem synagogue attack extreme, Russia must prevent such crimes - Putin 20 November 2014, 17:53
- DNR soldiers venerate St. George relics 20 November 2014, 14:30
- Patriarch Kirill speaks on divorce statistics 19 November 2014, 15:19
- Orthodox youth should be modern: no dress-codes and 'ethnographic ghetto' is needed 19 November 2014, 13:56
- Patriarch Kirill urges young people not to substitute real communication with virtual 19 November 2014, 13:37
- Patriarch Kirill recommends to take up the cross, not to 'relax and enjoy' 19 November 2014, 12:54
- Moscow denounces deadly attack on Jerusalem synagogue - Foreign Ministry 19 November 2014, 10:01
- Religions play key role in maintaining peace and stability - Azeri leader 18 November 2014, 11:26
- Residents in south Moscow voluntarily refuse parking lots to build a church 17 November 2014, 17:59
- Wars in Muslim countries stem from poverty, lack of education - leader of CIS' only legal Islamic party 17 November 2014, 12:07
- Russian patriarch urges Serbs to cherish brotherly unity with Russian people 17 November 2014, 11:01
- Russian, Serbian patriarchs sanctify monument to Nicholas II in Belgrade 17 November 2014, 10:55
- Patriarch Kirill calls to stop violations of rights, liberties of Serbian population of Kosovo 17 November 2014, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes attempts to rewrite history of Serbia, former USSR 17 November 2014, 10:15
- Serbian-Russian friendship is based on spiritual closeness, not amount of gas sold - Serbian president 17 November 2014, 10:02
- Procession with cross for peace marches in Ukraine 14 November 2014, 19:59
- Israel blames Palestine for exacerbation of situation with Temple Mount in Jerusalem 14 November 2014, 18:16
- Patriarch Kirill calls on people of Serbia to work together on renewing Europe 14 November 2014, 17:55
- Hundreds of people welcome Patriarch Kirill in Belgrade 14 November 2014, 17:49
- Orthodox world will never recognize Ukrainian schismatics - the Ukrainian Orthodox Church 14 November 2014, 10:08
- IS leader Omar Ash-Shishani has been killed - Kadyrov 13 November 2014, 15:54
- UOC Primate awards Interfax-Religion editor-in-chief 13 November 2014, 14:37
- Russians trust president, church, army - poll 13 November 2014, 14:36
- Russian Orthodox Church: Christian suffering in Middle East caused by West indifference 12 November 2014, 17:19
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Serbia 12 November 2014, 14:28