09 August 2007, 12:24
Academic letter on ‘clericalization of the country’ dictated by hatred towards Church - St. Tikhon’s University head of a chair
Moscow, August 9, Interfax - Victor Lega, assistant professor and head of the Chair of Basic Theology and Apologetics at St. Tikhon’s Orthodox Humanitarian University, has compared the academicians of the Russian Academy of Sciences, the authors of the recent letter to the president accusing the Church, to the lowest-mark pupils.
‘They are engaged in physics and will never let a dilettante into it, which is quite right’. They would tell him to study physics first and then to judge. For all that, they themselves judge theological disciplines like poor pupils, arguing about things they know only very superficially and even misunderstand’, Lega said in an interview with Interfax.
He advised that the academicians should read modern books, which reveal ‘a striking consistency of modern cosmology, geology and biology with the teaching on the creation’.
He also described as ‘crocodile tears’ the academicians’ fears that religious knowledge could bedevil schoolchildren.
‘I have not read a single appeal of scientists to the president concerning crime or drug-addiction or propagation of pornography. They would keep silent about it. But when a priest comes to a school, they raise noise. Souls are something they don’t care of. The apparent anti-church, anti-Christian orientation of their letter is evident’, Lega is convinced.
He believes the deep-laid cause for the appearance of such a letter is ‘hatred towards the Church’ while an external reason is ‘good, as they, in their sincere but wrong belief, seek to be of use to the state, as they understand it’, the scholar noted.
‘I see a third reason in their ignorance. They do not know what theology is. They do not know the history of the Church or the relations between religion and science. They do know much. And they make elementary logical mistakes betraying the anti-church mood of these letters. To avoid all this I always advise everyone, be it an academician or a first-grade pupil: read more!’ Lega said.
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church to celebrate the 70th anniversary of Victory Day in prayer 02 April 2015, 10:00
- Russian Culture Ministry to support only art focused on traditional values 01 April 2015, 17:53
- Russian Muslim admin issues fatwa condemning ISIL 01 April 2015, 10:00
- Moscow's chief rabbi to meet with pope to discuss religious extremism in Europe 31 March 2015, 16:45
- Vatican ex-advisor converts to Orthodoxy and becomes a monk in Moscow monastery 31 March 2015, 15:49
- Number of Hizb ut-Tahrir supporters drastically down in Crimea - Russian Interior Ministry 31 March 2015, 10:01
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin criticizes 'spiritual relax' in connection with tragedy in the Alps 30 March 2015, 17:56
- Imams of Tajik mosques are urged to call for closure of Islamic Revival Party 30 March 2015, 16:45
- Lavrov meets with Orthodox monastery abbess in Guatemala 27 March 2015, 10:46
- Pilot Savchenko’s files contain information about torturing a priest 26 March 2015, 19:25
- Kolomoisky's resignation is the sign of Ukraine's growing dependence on the West, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 26 March 2015, 18:26
- Russians trained by ISIL may be used against home country 26 March 2015, 15:08
- Kyrgyzstan outlaws Islamic State 25 March 2015, 15:36
- Chechen leader, Jordanian king discuss fight against IS 25 March 2015, 10:00
- Moscow Patriarchate priest assaulted in west Ukraine 24 March 2015, 10:00
- Ukrainians trust Church the most - poll 23 March 2015, 17:22
- Over 5,000 mercenaries from CIS fight on ISIS side - expert 23 March 2015, 16:15
- Schoolchildren from Turkey, Italy, Egypt to discuss fight against religious extremism in St. Petersburg 23 March 2015, 12:57
- Uzbekistan worried about ISIL activity near its borders 23 March 2015, 12:19
- Patriarch Kirill awards Lavrov 23 March 2015, 11:28
- Chubais doubts Nemtsov murder motivated by religious hatred 23 March 2015, 10:15
- IS recruiters targeting North Caucasus students - envoy Melikov 23 March 2015, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about legalization of same-sex "marriage", abortion issue, and secularism in Europe 20 March 2015, 17:35
- The Russian Church conveys twenty five tones of humanitarian help to Donbass residents 20 March 2015, 14:41
- Another Moscow Patriarchate church seized in Ukraine 20 March 2015, 10:00
- Leader of women's wing of Hizb ut-Tahrir detained, arms cache discovered in south Kyrgyzstan 19 March 2015, 10:02
- Head of the Russian State Archive suggests to exhume remains of the tzar family to examine them again 18 March 2015, 16:28
- Russian Central Muslim Board urges artists to be more delicate about believers' feelings 16 March 2015, 14:57
- Russia is urged to revive Christianity in Europe - Patriarch Kirill 16 March 2015, 14:21
- Fire in Novodevichy Convent bell tower did not damage building 16 March 2015, 13:42