09 August 2007, 12:24
Academic letter on ‘clericalization of the country’ dictated by hatred towards Church - St. Tikhon’s University head of a chair
Moscow, August 9, Interfax - Victor Lega, assistant professor and head of the Chair of Basic Theology and Apologetics at St. Tikhon’s Orthodox Humanitarian University, has compared the academicians of the Russian Academy of Sciences, the authors of the recent letter to the president accusing the Church, to the lowest-mark pupils.
‘They are engaged in physics and will never let a dilettante into it, which is quite right’. They would tell him to study physics first and then to judge. For all that, they themselves judge theological disciplines like poor pupils, arguing about things they know only very superficially and even misunderstand’, Lega said in an interview with Interfax.
He advised that the academicians should read modern books, which reveal ‘a striking consistency of modern cosmology, geology and biology with the teaching on the creation’.
He also described as ‘crocodile tears’ the academicians’ fears that religious knowledge could bedevil schoolchildren.
‘I have not read a single appeal of scientists to the president concerning crime or drug-addiction or propagation of pornography. They would keep silent about it. But when a priest comes to a school, they raise noise. Souls are something they don’t care of. The apparent anti-church, anti-Christian orientation of their letter is evident’, Lega is convinced.
He believes the deep-laid cause for the appearance of such a letter is ‘hatred towards the Church’ while an external reason is ‘good, as they, in their sincere but wrong belief, seek to be of use to the state, as they understand it’, the scholar noted.
‘I see a third reason in their ignorance. They do not know what theology is. They do not know the history of the Church or the relations between religion and science. They do know much. And they make elementary logical mistakes betraying the anti-church mood of these letters. To avoid all this I always advise everyone, be it an academician or a first-grade pupil: read more!’ Lega said.
- Ukrainian bishop believes the country's authorities Satanic 16 September 2014, 12:15
- Two Hizb ut-Tahrir activists detained in Kyrgyzstan 16 September 2014, 11:42
- War against Islamic State promises benefit to Russia - religious expert 16 September 2014, 11:33
- The Ukrainian church official accuses the country's authorities in eliminating their own people 15 September 2014, 16:28
- Russian Foreign Ministry calls a "mockery of common sense" discharge of the Femen activists for their action in Notre Dame de Paris 15 September 2014, 14:22
- Supporters of so-called Kiev Patriarchate attempt to take over church near Kiev 15 September 2014, 11:53
- Three Tajik Islamists sentenced to imprisonment in Khabarovsk Territory 15 September 2014, 10:50
- Rabbi Kogan urges to respond to Western sanctions with a baby boom 12 September 2014, 11:04
- Rabbi Lazar opens a hockey match between renowned sportsmen and the Jewish community team 12 September 2014, 10:20
- Greek-Catholic priest urges to eliminate militiamen 11 September 2014, 16:40
- Putin lights candles for "defenders of Novorossiya" in Moscow church 11 September 2014, 13:44
- Austrian MP condemns USA in attempts to blow up traditional European values 11 September 2014, 13:28
- ISIS has 100,000 fighters, including Western, Russian citizens - expert 10 September 2014, 12:51
- U.S. report on religious freedom in Uzbekistan biased - Tashkent 09 September 2014, 14:51
- Idea of Russian World not means of enslaving Ukraine - Patriarch Kirill 08 September 2014, 16:13
- Russia, Ukraine, Belarus linked with invincible spiritual bonds - Patriarch Kirill 08 September 2014, 10:00
- ISIL Islamists threaten not just Russia but to all Europe - Margelov 04 September 2014, 10:01
- Over 200 fake passports seized from Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan in Moscow 04 September 2014, 10:01
- Crimea does not need sexual minorities - Aksyonov 02 September 2014, 17:56
- Russian school in Bethlehem to strengthen Russian-Palestinian ties - Putin 02 September 2014, 10:01
- In order to come to Russia Dalai Lama must quit politics - Lavrov 28 August 2014, 10:13
- Wahhabism supporters use Internet to campaign for extremism - Kadyrov 26 August 2014, 17:47
- Kadyrov asks clergy to resist early marriages in Chechnya 26 August 2014, 14:58
- Yamalo-Nenets authorities deny violations of Muslims' rights at local prison 26 August 2014, 14:57
- Russian social network VK says Islamic State accounts blocked 26 August 2014, 10:05
- Church burns down in Donetsk as shell hits is - diocese 26 August 2014, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill again calls on UN, Council of Europe, OSCE to help stop fighting in Ukraine 25 August 2014, 17:08
- Ukrainian army deliberately targets orthodox churches - archbishop of Gorlovka 25 August 2014, 16:55
- Pope Francis sends greetings to Ukraine on Independence Day 25 August 2014, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill asks Poroshenko to stop war, prays for its victims 25 August 2014, 10:16