21 August 2007, 15:20
Russian Orthodox Church institutes another women’s prize, Order of St. Euphrosyne, the first saint of Moscow
Moscow, August 21, Interfax - The Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church during its meeting on Wednesday instituted an Order and a Medal of St. Euphrosyne, the grand princess and the first saint of Moscow, the wife of the holy prince Dimitry of the Don.
According to the synod’s decree, the new decorations will be given to women for special contributions into strengthening of spiritual and moral traditions in the society, development of the church’s social activities, maintaining relations between church and state or church and society, and other fields of work for the betterment of the Orthodox faith.
The Order of St. Euphrosyne will become the second women’s decoration of the Russian Orthodox Church after the Order of St. Olga.
Euphrosyne is the monastic name of Grand Princess Eudoxia of Moscow. She is known as the new Muscovite Russia’s first saint who combined ascetic life of a nun with her role as princess. Her husband, Grand Prince Dimitry of the Don, dedicated his whole life to uniting Russian principalities around his capital, Moscow. In 1378 he defeated the Mongol horde in the Battle of Kulikovo on the river Don challenging Mongol rule over Russia. Upon his death in 1389, Dimitry was the first grand prince to bequeath his titles to his son Basil without consulting the khan. He was canonized in 1988.
In 2007, the 600 anniversary of Euphrosyne’s passing away is celebrated. The new order and medal were instituted to mark this jubilee.
- Synod of Ukraine's new Church deprives Filaret of right to run Kiev Diocese 24 June 2019, 17:53
- Underground church discovered in Moldavia 24 June 2019, 17:49
- Georgian patriarch urges not to make mistakes 24 June 2019, 17:44
- Audience of films showing drugs should be warned of danger – Russian Church 24 June 2019, 14:15
- Georgia's LGBT community postpones march due to tensions 24 June 2019, 11:07
- Head of Georgian delegation in IAO refuses parliamentary mandate following riots in Tbilisi 21 June 2019, 17:37
- Filaret's 'local assembly' shows Constantinople project in Ukraine is not viable - Russian Orthodox Church 20 June 2019, 19:39
- Defense minister accuses U.S. of supporting non-mainstream religious entities in Russia 20 June 2019, 19:07
- Filaret, supporters to leave Ukraine's new church on June 24 - new church of Ukraine 20 June 2019, 19:03
- IAO delegation led by Russian MP leaving Tbilisi early 20 June 2019, 18:58
- Ivanishvili lashes out at organizers of Interparliamentary Assembly on Orthodoxy session for electing Russian as chair 20 June 2019, 18:56
- Filaret thinks Ukraine can have 3 Orthodox Churches 20 June 2019, 18:51
- "Kiev Patriarchate" cancels its dissolution 20 June 2019, 18:46
- Georgian president rules out 'Orthodox union' of Georgia and Russia 20 June 2019, 13:40
- Religion section editor of Dagestani newspaper suspected of financing terrorism arrested for 2 months 19 June 2019, 17:14
- Memorial in place of the second biggest burial of the Holocaust victims opened in Caucasus 19 June 2019, 17:09
- The Georgian Church official accuses US acting ambassador of trying to aggravate the situation around LGBT-action in Georgia 18 June 2019, 11:09
- Religion department editor of the Dagestani newspaper detained on suspicion of terrorism financing 17 June 2019, 11:30
- Russian Catholics don’t believe in islamization of Europe 07 June 2019, 15:30
- Leaders, members of 15 Jehovah's Witnesses cells held in Dagestan 07 June 2019, 10:55
- World will be better if people follow Bible, Torah, Koran - Putin 06 June 2019, 18:01
- Russian Catholics urge not to have illusions about possible pontiff's visit to Moscow 06 June 2019, 17:05
- The Russian Orthodox Church is not ready to welcome the Pope of Rome in Moscow 06 June 2019, 16:04
- Putin to meet with Pope Francis 06 June 2019, 14:34
- Russian Jews pray for “lifting up” the soul of the reposed wife of the Israel’s president 06 June 2019, 11:32
- Russia's Jews present country as example of tolerance for Europe 04 June 2019, 18:48
- Remembrance of Great Patriotic War protects Russia from xenophobia, anti-Semitism - Putin 04 June 2019, 17:48
- Putin attends unveiling of monument to heroes of resistance in concentration camps 04 June 2019, 17:41
- Russian Muslim community plays major role in combating extremist ideology - PM Medvedev 04 June 2019, 11:28
- Putin notes Russian Muslims' contribution to peoples' unity, fight against extremism 04 June 2019, 11:25