31 August 2007, 15:01
Bronze memorial cross to legendary Varyag erected in Scotland
Moscow, August 31, Interfax - A bronze bas-relief cross with as a memorial to Russian cruiser Varyag has been erected on the seashore at a small town of Lendelfoot, Scotland.
The legendary ship sank in 1920 100 meters off that place when it was towed for remelting.
The monument is designed by sculptor Vladimir Suvorovtsev and his son from Zhukovsky near Moscow. The memorial will be opened officially on September 8.
It will be the first monument to Russian military glory to be erected in the United Kingdom.
A year ago, a memorial plate was placed there. Now there will a whole memorial compound at the place.
Varyag was launched in Philadelphia and transferred to the Russian Fleet. It was based in Port Arthur in the beginning of the Russian-Japanese War. On January 26, 1904, it was blocked up by the enemy’s squadron at the port of Chemulpo. The Varyag crew could surrender, scuttle the ship and go to the bottom but they preferred to fight fifteen ships at long odds - a feat for which even Japanese military called them ‘real samurais’, the Vesti TV news recalled.
Immediately after the war the Japanese lifted Varyag up, repaired it and send it sailing under the red-white flag. Later the Soviet authorities redeemed and sent it to Great Britain for repairs.
Cruiser Varyag found its last haven 100 meters off the Scottish cost. The British authorities took it from Russia for her debts and planned to forward it Germany for cutting into pieces.
- Metropolitan Hilarion holds up protestant missionaries as an example for Orthodox priests 18 October 2017, 17:32
- Moscow court declines defense lawyers' appeal against arrest of Christian State leader Kalinin 18 October 2017, 17:12
- Investigative Committee to investigate consolidated case against Christian State leader 18 October 2017, 15:49
- Patriarch Kirill pays attention of the participants in the Inter-Parliamentary Union Assembly to attempts of infringing canonical church in Ukraine 17 October 2017, 14:14
- Patriarch Kirill urges to base legislation on law of morals 16 October 2017, 17:17
- Metropolitan Hilarion is positive about works of priest-rapper 16 October 2017, 14:41
- Communication between people doesn't depend on political, religious differences - Putin at opening of Youth Festival in Sochi 16 October 2017, 10:29
- Christian State leader Kalinin charged with extremism 13 October 2017, 12:32
- Head of Russian Catholics speaks about confident improvement of relations with the Russian Orthodox Church 12 October 2017, 11:05
- Homes of suspected Hizb ut-Tahrir members searched in Bakhchisarai 11 October 2017, 18:59
- Metropolitan Hilarion accuses the United States of the lack of democracy 11 October 2017, 17:21
- Catholics jointly with Orthodox believers will restore Orthodox churches in Syria 09 October 2017, 11:34
- Godless society will not conquer extremism - Vatican representative in Russia 06 October 2017, 18:48
- Religious leaders' dialogue promotes peaceful Karabakh settlement - head of Muslim Board of Caucasus 04 October 2017, 17:58
- Son of Russia's chief rabbi is involved in uniting Jews in Crimea 04 October 2017, 15:12
- Priest is not allowed to Russian pilot Yaroshenko in American prison 04 October 2017, 10:00
- Ingusheti preacher in averted assassination attempt already survived 03 October 2017, 11:47
- Russian Orthodox Church welcomes softened U.S. stance on freedom of conscience in Russia 03 October 2017, 10:00
- Attempt on life of religious figure averted in Ingushetia 02 October 2017, 13:31
- State Duma deputies who watched Matilda see it as movie, give filmmaker right to realize idea 29 September 2017, 18:05
- Patriarch Kirill equals insulting believers' feelings to extremism 29 September 2017, 15:19
- Patriarch Kirill positively evaluates relations between Uzbekistan's Muslims, Orthodox 29 September 2017, 13:39
- Lukashenko suggests organizing meeting between Patriarch Kirill, pope in Minsk 28 September 2017, 13:59
- Metropolitan Hilarion draws pope's attention to discrimination threat to canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church 28 September 2017, 10:11
- Syrian authorities are doing everything to protect Christians – Russian MP 28 September 2017, 10:07
- Uzbek leader plans to meet with Patriarch Kirill 28 September 2017, 10:04
- Russian Orthodox Church will be built in Kabul 28 September 2017, 10:01
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Uzbekistan 27 September 2017, 15:43
- Russia was the first to discover destructive essence of Gulen's sect - Mufti Krganov 27 September 2017, 10:29
- European Jews concerned about far-right party's Bundestag election results 25 September 2017, 15:52