31 August 2007, 15:01
Bronze memorial cross to legendary Varyag erected in Scotland
Moscow, August 31, Interfax - A bronze bas-relief cross with as a memorial to Russian cruiser Varyag has been erected on the seashore at a small town of Lendelfoot, Scotland.
The legendary ship sank in 1920 100 meters off that place when it was towed for remelting.
The monument is designed by sculptor Vladimir Suvorovtsev and his son from Zhukovsky near Moscow. The memorial will be opened officially on September 8.
It will be the first monument to Russian military glory to be erected in the United Kingdom.
A year ago, a memorial plate was placed there. Now there will a whole memorial compound at the place.
Varyag was launched in Philadelphia and transferred to the Russian Fleet. It was based in Port Arthur in the beginning of the Russian-Japanese War. On January 26, 1904, it was blocked up by the enemy’s squadron at the port of Chemulpo. The Varyag crew could surrender, scuttle the ship and go to the bottom but they preferred to fight fifteen ships at long odds - a feat for which even Japanese military called them ‘real samurais’, the Vesti TV news recalled.
Immediately after the war the Japanese lifted Varyag up, repaired it and send it sailing under the red-white flag. Later the Soviet authorities redeemed and sent it to Great Britain for repairs.
Cruiser Varyag found its last haven 100 meters off the Scottish cost. The British authorities took it from Russia for her debts and planned to forward it Germany for cutting into pieces.
- Putin sees humanitarian values as basis for Russia's and its Church's relations with Vatican 23 August 2017, 18:07
- Vatican representative hopes for broader interaction with Russian Orthodox Church 23 August 2017, 17:58
- Head of Russian Jews urges businessmen not to seek the tops of the Forbes list 23 August 2017, 15:05
- Wearing of clothes of 'destructive ideological movements' in Kazakhstan may be punishable by nearly $700 fine – bill 22 August 2017, 18:04
- Patriarch Kirill considers Orthodox, Catholic Churches' joint provision of assistance to Middle Eastern countries uniting factor 22 August 2017, 17:40
- New stage begins in Russian Church-Vatican relationship - Patriarch Kirill 22 August 2017, 17:38
- Putin to discuss bilateral agenda, Syria, Ukraine with Vatican secretary of state – Kremlin 22 August 2017, 12:54
- Kazakhstan planning to ban wearing clothing of 'destructive ideological movements' 22 August 2017, 10:03
- Romanovs confident about tsar's remains authenticity - royal family union 21 August 2017, 18:41
- Putin proposes creating 'Russian Mecca' in Khersones 21 August 2017, 10:37
- Russia puts Jehovah's Witnesses on prohibited organization list 17 August 2017, 14:10
- Vatican secretary of state to hold talks in Russia 17 August 2017, 13:14
- Vatican secretary of state won't discuss prospects for pope's Russia visit in Moscow - Russian Catholic official 17 August 2017, 12:33
- Increase of number of repatriates from Russia to Israel unrelated to actual relocation – FJCR 17 August 2017, 10:00
- Russian Jews call on Trump to suppress anti-Semitic outbreaks in U.S. 16 August 2017, 19:29
- State Duma dubs U.S. Dept of State's report on oppression of religious minorities in Russia as unprofessional 16 August 2017, 10:11
- Russia tops list of countries by emigration to Israel 16 August 2017, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill, Vatican state secretary to discuss Ukraine situation 16 August 2017, 10:00
- Number of Russian Muslims to undertake hajj increases by 3,000, to 23,500 people, this year 11 August 2017, 13:38
- Priest from Yevpatoria asks to set up a nudist beach in Crimea 10 August 2017, 10:51
- March of the Living to be held in Rostov region to commemorate Jews massacred by Nazi 09 August 2017, 10:00
- Erdogan to attend OIC summit in Astana 08 August 2017, 15:09
- Protestant pastor jailed for 3 years for extremism in Tajikistan 08 August 2017, 10:17
- Priest detained in Vitebsk brothel to be temporary banned from ministry - Russian Orthodox Church 08 August 2017, 10:14
- Russian Jews appalled by reproaches of trying to monetize Holocaust tragedy 08 August 2017, 10:00
- Head of Russian old believers does not believe in overcoming schism with the Moscow Patriarchate 07 August 2017, 13:53
- Over 100 Georgian prisoners imprisoned in Istanbul demand to set up a corner for prayers 07 August 2017, 11:12
- Russian MP congratulates Georgian patriarch on his name day in Tbilisi – media 04 August 2017, 12:15
- Govt prioritizes stronger inter-ethnic, inter-religious accord – Putin 03 August 2017, 15:23
- FJCR President welcomes law on the Victory Day adopted by the knesset 28 July 2017, 14:10