05 September 2007, 16:54
Russian Orthodox Church not to make morals fit to secular indifferent society
Sibiu (Romania), September 5, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church opposes some Christian groups seeking to compromise morals and ethics to make them more acceptable for secular society.
‘Why the idea of the evolution of moral norms is so popular among some Christians? It seems to me that in this position the secular spirit of this world may be felt,’ the chairman of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations Metropolitan Kirill of Smolensk and Kaliningrad said at the plenary meeting of the Third European Ecumenical Assembly in Sibiu, Romania, on Thursday.
According to him, some Christian communities ‘have unilaterally revised biblical norms or behavior’ so that ‘in a time they may acknowledge the value of life and one’s right to die, the value of family and acceptability of same-sex relationship, the rights of children and deliberate termination of human embryos for medical purposes.’
This liberal attitude is, on the one hand, preconditioned by certain tendencies in Christian theology that ‘interpret salvation by faith alone to the prejudice of the moral state of man,’ he said.
However, he added, ‘there are suspicious similarities between how morals are seen in some Christian groups’ and the double standards spreading in secular society.
Metropolitan Kirill expressed his anxiousness over this approach becoming obligatory for all ‘through adoption of certain legislations in some European countries and international organizations.’
‘If the a power tries to compel the Christians to do or help doing things that contradict their faith or moral norms, this power will become unacceptable and hostile to the Christians,’ the metropolitan said.
- Warsaw's stance insults memory of Auschwitz liberators - FJCR head 23 January 2015, 13:17
- Russia could be one of world's last civilizations - Church official 23 January 2015, 10:16
- Dagestan leader slams insults to Muslims' religious feelings 23 January 2015, 10:05
- Russia needs to revive Soviet-era sense of solidarity - Patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:11
- Russian political parties must not destroy basic values - patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:01
- Russian bishop blasts child euthanasia, abortions 22 January 2015, 18:13
- Lavrov considers caricatures on religious topics tasteless 22 January 2015, 10:44
- Church will support fight against nationalism and Nazism - Patriarch 22 January 2015, 10:19
- U.S., French, Israeli flags burned during Baku protest against Muhammad cartoons 21 January 2015, 18:37
- Russian Church expresses solidarity with Muslims who protested in Grozny 21 January 2015, 10:03
- Bishkek rally demands ban on Prophet Muhammad cartoons 20 January 2015, 13:53
- Israeli court orders priest Grozovsky extradition to Russia, defense planning to appeal 19 January 2015, 18:02
- Body of Georgian priest killed in fire on Norman Atlantic ferry taken to Georgia 19 January 2015, 17:00
- Over 1 million people take part in rally protesting cartoons of Prophet Muhammad held in Grozny 19 January 2015, 14:50
- Moscow Muslims see no sense in holding anti-caricature protest 19 January 2015, 10:08
- Russian lawmaker wants budget funding recovered from Leviathan film director 19 January 2015, 10:05
- Georgian Orthodox Church condemns Prophet Muhammad caricatures 19 January 2015, 10:04
- Some 15,000 rally in Ingushetia against cartoons of Prophet Muhammad 19 January 2015, 10:03
- Moscow officials reject application to hold demo against religious insults 19 January 2015, 10:01
- Foreign Ministry: Over 800 of Russians fighting for ISIL 16 January 2015, 17:43
- Roskomnadzor: publication of cartoons on religious issues may be classed of violation of law 16 January 2015, 16:45
- Every tenth Russian to participate in Epiphany bathing 16 January 2015, 14:25
- Head of Ingushetia: publication of cartoons of Prophet Muhammad should be classed as extremism 16 January 2015, 10:01
- Islamic party activist held in Samara region 15 January 2015, 17:06
- World Russian People's Council calls for moratorium on publication of caricatures offending religious feelings 14 January 2015, 16:13
- Zabaikalie resident steels a priestly frock and walks along the streets wishing everyone happy holidays 14 January 2015, 15:19
- Church official criticizes attempts to impose false choice between supporting terrorism and Charlie Hebdo policy 14 January 2015, 14:42
- Competition between terrorist organizations can be a motive of terrorist attacks in Paris - religious expert 13 January 2015, 16:18
- Moscow mufti warns against Islamophobia, Prophet caricature reprinting 13 January 2015, 15:24
- Unlike Europe, Russian culture does not allow mockery of religion - MP Pushkov 13 January 2015, 14:18