05 September 2007, 16:54
Russian Orthodox Church not to make morals fit to secular indifferent society
Sibiu (Romania), September 5, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church opposes some Christian groups seeking to compromise morals and ethics to make them more acceptable for secular society.
‘Why the idea of the evolution of moral norms is so popular among some Christians? It seems to me that in this position the secular spirit of this world may be felt,’ the chairman of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations Metropolitan Kirill of Smolensk and Kaliningrad said at the plenary meeting of the Third European Ecumenical Assembly in Sibiu, Romania, on Thursday.
According to him, some Christian communities ‘have unilaterally revised biblical norms or behavior’ so that ‘in a time they may acknowledge the value of life and one’s right to die, the value of family and acceptability of same-sex relationship, the rights of children and deliberate termination of human embryos for medical purposes.’
This liberal attitude is, on the one hand, preconditioned by certain tendencies in Christian theology that ‘interpret salvation by faith alone to the prejudice of the moral state of man,’ he said.
However, he added, ‘there are suspicious similarities between how morals are seen in some Christian groups’ and the double standards spreading in secular society.
Metropolitan Kirill expressed his anxiousness over this approach becoming obligatory for all ‘through adoption of certain legislations in some European countries and international organizations.’
‘If the a power tries to compel the Christians to do or help doing things that contradict their faith or moral norms, this power will become unacceptable and hostile to the Christians,’ the metropolitan said.
- Muslim sheep slaughter to be banned in Moscow during Eid al-Adha feast 01 October 2014, 10:08
- Two prosecuted following police van incident near Moscow mosque 30 September 2014, 16:10
- Seven female Islamists apprehended in Kyrgyzstan 30 September 2014, 12:50
- Parishioners of the Moscow Mosque of the Council of Mufti attacked the police bus 29 September 2014, 15:50
- Russia picks Zvyagintsev's Leviathan for Oscar 29 September 2014, 10:08
- Police raid St. Petersburg Scientology church as part of fraud probe 29 September 2014, 10:06
- Up to 50,000 militants fight for Islamic State - Patrushev 26 September 2014, 12:04
- Two jailed in Azerbaijan for plotting mosque bombing 26 September 2014, 11:49
- Ukrainian Army occupied a church in Donetsk and fires from it 26 September 2014, 10:20
- Putin praises Russian Jews' role in consolidating interfaith harmony 26 September 2014, 10:07
- Ban on gay propaganda among minors doesn't restrict sexual minorities' rights - Russian Constitutional Court 26 September 2014, 10:05
- Israel ready to extradite Russian priest Grozovsky - source (updated) 25 September 2014, 18:11
- Patriarch Kirill hopes to visit Latvia 25 September 2014, 15:40
- The Menorah memorial desecrated with swastika in Babiy Yar 25 September 2014, 14:49
- Patriarch Kirill denies being vehicle of Kremlin policy 25 September 2014, 09:57
- Dissenters take over Orthodox church in Rovno Region of Ukraine 24 September 2014, 14:35
- Over 20,000 Hasidics arrive in Uman to celebrate New Year 24 September 2014, 14:15
- Hasidic pilgrims not afraid of traveling to Ukraine - border guards 24 September 2014, 10:50
- Russian religious leaders send anniversary greetings to Interfax 23 September 2014, 15:04
- Israeli embassy in Russia confirms Grozovsky detention 22 September 2014, 12:45
- State sovereignty is more important than camembert and jamon, leader of Russia's Jewish community believes 22 September 2014, 10:17
- Moscow to host Quran intl recitation contest on September 20 19 September 2014, 15:14
- Cross set up in Belgrade to commemorate defenders of the city during the First World War 19 September 2014, 11:12
- Ukrainian Army shells Donetsk monastery 18 September 2014, 16:53
- Russia and Vatican to hold art exhibition on Biblical themes 18 September 2014, 10:10
- Sts Martha and Mary Convent in Moscow decorated with a Japanese symbol 18 September 2014, 10:01
- Released Lugansk priest claims pilot Savchenko suggested to divide them to organs 17 September 2014, 10:22
- Ukrainian bishop believes the country's authorities Satanic 16 September 2014, 12:15
- Two Hizb ut-Tahrir activists detained in Kyrgyzstan 16 September 2014, 11:42
- War against Islamic State promises benefit to Russia - religious expert 16 September 2014, 11:33