04 October 2005, 14:38
Russian senators back plans to bury Lenin
Moscow, October 4, Interfax - The Federation Council, the upper chamber of the Russian parliament, supports the idea of burying Vladimir Lenin's body.
"Lenin's body should be treated humanely, in a Christian way. He should finally be buried in a good place," Federation Council Deputy Speaker Svetlana Orlova told Interfax on Tuesday.
Orlova said that Lenin should be buried in a memorial cemetery to allow "everybody who respects him and his ideas" to visit his grave. "Lenin is a part of our history. This page cannot be torn off," she said.
She disagreed that the removal of Lenin's body from the mausoleum on Red Square might provoke protests among his supporters. "These people, including members of the Communist Party, should think about Lenin's soul, which has been searching for peace for nearly a century," she said.
Federation Council Constitutional Legislation Committee chief Yury Sharandin agreed that Lenin's body could be buried "without any political consequences."
"A situation has been formed in the country in which this decisive step needs to be taken, putting aside religious and mystical issues," he said.
"Those who decided to keep Lenin in the mausoleum were guided by political considerations. Over the past decade, there has been talk of sustaining political stability in the state. This stability has come," the senator said.
Budget Committee Chairman Yevgeny Bushmin called for a cautious approach to the matter. "Removing Lenin's body from the mausoleum and burying him may split society," he said.
"Lenin's funeral will be an event of international importance, but Russia is in a position to pay for it," the senator said.
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11
- Kadyrov waiting for Zyuganov's apology for remarks on Lenin's burial 07 November 2017, 10:07
- Putin offers Trump condolences over Texas tragedy 07 November 2017, 10:02
- Mausoleum is, must remain Lenin's burial place – Zyuganov 02 November 2017, 18:04
- Head of human rights council suggests turning Mausoleum into museum, selling tickets to enter it, think of Lenin's body as pharaoh's mummy 02 November 2017, 17:26
- Majority of Russian Protestants unlike western stand for traditional morals - Metropolitan Hilarion 02 November 2017, 16:37
- Patriarch Kirill invites Patriarch Ilia II to Moscow to celebrate 100th anniversary of restoration of Russian patriarchate 02 November 2017, 16:36
- Lenin's burial not on Kremlin agenda - Peskov 02 November 2017, 13:33
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes 'color' revolutions for using quasi-religious rhetoric 02 November 2017, 10:01
- Church representative speaks against renaming the October Revolution to "Russian" one 01 November 2017, 16:30
- Russian Jews point out to Patriarch Kirill’s special role in opposing Anti-Semitism and xenophobia 01 November 2017, 14:00
- Patriarch Kirill: if we do not educate our people, others will do it 01 November 2017, 13:29
- President and patriarch opens a monument to victims of repressions in Moscow 31 October 2017, 10:52
- Patriarch Kirill fears total control over people via gadgets 31 October 2017, 10:28