03 December 2007, 12:03
The Moscow Patriarchate believes the status of Catholic dioceses in Russia should be brought down to the level of 2000
Moscow, December 3, Interfax – The Russian Orthodox Church would never recognize the current status of Catholic dioceses in Russia, the head of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations Metropolitan Kirill of Smolenk and Kaliningrad stated.
‘We shall never recognize them and will always dispute the presence of ordinary Catholic dioceses in the territory of Russia and consider it a challenge to our common idea of sticking to a territorial principle of Church administration’, the hierarch said at a church and scientific conference in Moscow.
The Vatican decided to increase the status of its apostolic administrations in Russia up to the level of dioceses in 2002 thus causing a protest of the Russian Orthodox Church.
‘We consider it a mistake, which indeed damages the Orthodox-Catholic dialogue and puts off a possibility of achieving our common aims’, Metropolitan Kirill stated commenting on the 2002 events.
He said that arguments of the Moscow Patriarchate’s opponents were unjustified as they alleged that the Russian Orthodox Church in Europe had its dioceses set up on the same principle as the Catholic dioceses in Russia.
‘Dioceses of the Moscow Patriarchate in diaspora are not ordinary. Neither are they connected with local jurisdiction. They were established to provide pastoral care for people in diaspora, they do not have strictly defined boarders. In a certain sense, they are unusual dioceses and we always underline it in our dialogue with the Catholics’, the representative of the Russian Church noted.
According to him, if there was a notion of an apostolic administration in the Orthodox Church, the dioceses of the Moscow Patriarchate in Europe were called ‘administrations’. ‘However, we have only a concept of eparchy or diocese’, Metropolitan Kirill added.
‘The conflict comes from our total misunderstanding why absolutely appropriate term was changed to absolutely inappropriate’, he noted.
The Metropolitan further said that the status of Catholic dioceses in Russia ‘should be changed and brought back to the former level of apostolic administrations’.
He also noted that representatives of the Moscow Patriarchate were often asked why they accused only the Catholic Church in violation of canonical territory, while the Protestants had more parishes in Russia if compared with the Catholics.
‘However, we do not share with these (Protestant – IF) communities the common source of our church structure which is the canonical tradition of the early undivided Church, while we do have things to talk about with our Catholic brothers’, the hierarch said.
According to him, the territorial principle should be ‘crucial in defining bishopric jurisdiction’. ‘A bishop is linked to the territory and it is our common cultural asset. The idea of territorial jurisdiction is based on this principle. To doubt fundamental importance of this idea means to oppose our common church Tradition’, Metropolitan Kirill underlined.
- Christians of Soviet times showed an example of uncompromising faith, Benedict XVI believes 24 May 2018, 14:32
- Lawyer for convicted priest Grozovsky files appeal 24 May 2018, 14:22
- Former Pope of Rome in his book criticizes new trends in Catholicism - Metropolitan Hilarion 24 May 2018, 14:13
- Serbian patriarch supports the unity of the Russian Church 24 May 2018, 12:27
- Moldovan president says LGBT march in Chisinau is alien to his country 22 May 2018, 16:50
- Autocephalous Church will complete formation of Ukraine's spiritual independence, boost national security - Poroshenko 21 May 2018, 11:52
- Sexual minorities hold their first successful parade in Chisinau 21 May 2018, 11:50
- Two policemen, churchgoer killed in special operation to eliminate militants in Grozny 21 May 2018, 11:46
- Christianity is world's most persecuted religion - Patriarch Kirill 17 May 2018, 18:54
- Granting Ukrainian splinter autocephalous church status would be legal nonsense - Metropolitan Hilarion 15 May 2018, 11:58
- Metropolitan Hilarion believes the world has entered the period of a new 'cold war,' presidents of Russia and the USA should sit at negotiating table 14 May 2018, 15:11
- Eco mosque functioning on solar batteries opened in Ukraine 11 May 2018, 17:33
- Establishing of the so-called one local Church in Ukraine will deepen the existing schism, the UOC official believes 11 May 2018, 17:15
- Jewish Day of Salvation and Liberation promotes understanding among people - Putin 10 May 2018, 13:22
- Russia seeks deeper ties with Islamic states - Putin 10 May 2018, 11:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion hopes local Churches will support canonical Church in Ukraine 08 May 2018, 10:38
- Patriarch Kirill wishes Putin health, strength to fulfill presidential tasks 07 May 2018, 16:08
- Metropolitan Onufry: setting up a united local Church in Ukraine will make us second-rate people 07 May 2018, 15:18
- First time in the new history six Jewish couples got married simultaneously 04 May 2018, 18:40
- Metropolitan Hilarion foresees schism in Orthodoxy compared to the Great Schism if Ukrainian schismatics obtain autocephaly 04 May 2018, 12:36
- Suspected organizer of Aum Shinrikyo sect's unit arrested in Moscow 04 May 2018, 10:33
- Metropolitan Hilarion does not share Patriarch Bartholomew's opinion about inevitable unification of Churches 03 May 2018, 11:17
- Catholicos of All Armenians, Armenian protest leader discuss ways of resolving crisis in country 28 April 2018, 11:07
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls for Putin-Trump summit to promote world peace 23 April 2018, 15:09
- Kiev envoy goes to Istanbul with request on Ukrainian autocephaly for Ecumenical patriarch 20 April 2018, 17:35
- Catholicos of All Armenians urges protestors, police to exercise restraints 19 April 2018, 18:24
- Metropolitan Hilarion on situation in Ukraine: secular administration cannot initiate creation of autocephalous Church (updated) 19 April 2018, 14:41
- Rada speaker hopes for approval of autocephalous Ukrainian Orthodox Church by late July 19 April 2018, 14:37
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's autocephaly is geopolitical issue – Poroshenko 19 April 2018, 14:20
- Actions aimed at dividing church are not welcome - Peskov on situation in Ukraine 19 April 2018, 12:52