03 December 2007, 12:03
The Moscow Patriarchate believes the status of Catholic dioceses in Russia should be brought down to the level of 2000
Moscow, December 3, Interfax – The Russian Orthodox Church would never recognize the current status of Catholic dioceses in Russia, the head of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations Metropolitan Kirill of Smolenk and Kaliningrad stated.
‘We shall never recognize them and will always dispute the presence of ordinary Catholic dioceses in the territory of Russia and consider it a challenge to our common idea of sticking to a territorial principle of Church administration’, the hierarch said at a church and scientific conference in Moscow.
The Vatican decided to increase the status of its apostolic administrations in Russia up to the level of dioceses in 2002 thus causing a protest of the Russian Orthodox Church.
‘We consider it a mistake, which indeed damages the Orthodox-Catholic dialogue and puts off a possibility of achieving our common aims’, Metropolitan Kirill stated commenting on the 2002 events.
He said that arguments of the Moscow Patriarchate’s opponents were unjustified as they alleged that the Russian Orthodox Church in Europe had its dioceses set up on the same principle as the Catholic dioceses in Russia.
‘Dioceses of the Moscow Patriarchate in diaspora are not ordinary. Neither are they connected with local jurisdiction. They were established to provide pastoral care for people in diaspora, they do not have strictly defined boarders. In a certain sense, they are unusual dioceses and we always underline it in our dialogue with the Catholics’, the representative of the Russian Church noted.
According to him, if there was a notion of an apostolic administration in the Orthodox Church, the dioceses of the Moscow Patriarchate in Europe were called ‘administrations’. ‘However, we have only a concept of eparchy or diocese’, Metropolitan Kirill added.
‘The conflict comes from our total misunderstanding why absolutely appropriate term was changed to absolutely inappropriate’, he noted.
The Metropolitan further said that the status of Catholic dioceses in Russia ‘should be changed and brought back to the former level of apostolic administrations’.
He also noted that representatives of the Moscow Patriarchate were often asked why they accused only the Catholic Church in violation of canonical territory, while the Protestants had more parishes in Russia if compared with the Catholics.
‘However, we do not share with these (Protestant – IF) communities the common source of our church structure which is the canonical tradition of the early undivided Church, while we do have things to talk about with our Catholic brothers’, the hierarch said.
According to him, the territorial principle should be ‘crucial in defining bishopric jurisdiction’. ‘A bishop is linked to the territory and it is our common cultural asset. The idea of territorial jurisdiction is based on this principle. To doubt fundamental importance of this idea means to oppose our common church Tradition’, Metropolitan Kirill underlined.
- Xenophobia and Islamophobia become main trends in Europe in 2015 - ECRI report 26 May 2016, 18:02
- Terrorists in Syria are destined to fail - Patriarch Kirill 26 May 2016, 16:45
- Putin to travel to Holy Mount Athos on second day of his visit to Greece 26 May 2016, 13:33
- Two Moscow Patriarchate churches burgled in western Ukraine 26 May 2016, 12:15
- Church of Moscow Patriarchate set on fire in Kiev 24 May 2016, 15:09
- Russian Church urges to international control over currency issue and criticized offshores 24 May 2016, 13:17
- Russia stronger than West because it has more perfect weapon, prayer - Patriarch Kirill 23 May 2016, 12:04
- Lukashenko proposes arrangement of meeting between Pontiff and Patriarch of Moscow for sake of peace in Donbass (updated) 23 May 2016, 10:57
- LGBT pride parade not held in Chisinau, its participates evacuated for security reasons 23 May 2016, 10:36
- Europe became a part of the Islamic world long ago, renowned political expert believes 23 May 2016, 10:32
- Turkey, Saudi Arabia and Qatar aims at eliminating Syria as a secular state, an expert believes 23 May 2016, 10:29
- Residences of suspected ISIL recruiters being searched in St. Petersburg 20 May 2016, 11:53
- Ukraine's political conjuncture, church schism temporary - Patriarch Kirill 20 May 2016, 10:13
- Spread of same-sex marriage puts world in moral catastrophe - Zorkin 20 May 2016, 10:04
- Islamic radicals successfully recruit supporters due to increasing displeasure with Western policies - Zorkin 20 May 2016, 10:01
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Catholics to defend Christians' rights in the world together 20 May 2016, 10:00
- Russian Church destined to change Western attitude to Christianity - Patriarch Kirill 19 May 2016, 17:43
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Athos in late May 19 May 2016, 17:10
- Pavlensky given 1.5-year sentence for setting fire to car tires near the Savior on Spilt Blood Church in St. Petersburg 19 May 2016, 17:08
- Imams of five mosques detained in Tajikistan on extremism accusations 19 May 2016, 11:29
- American OSCE staff member in Donbass adopts Orthodoxy 18 May 2016, 20:39
- Odessa priest becomes the champion of Ukraine in powerlifting 18 May 2016, 11:57
- Sochi resident sentenced to 4.5 years for incitement to religious hatred in social media 17 May 2016, 15:12
- Homosexuals give up the idea to hold an action in Tbilisi fearing for their safety 17 May 2016, 10:00
- Every forth Russian woman, who turned to the Health Ministry consultative centers, refused abortion 16 May 2016, 17:17
- Most northern church in honor of St. Matrona of Moscow to be built in Yakutia 16 May 2016, 12:12
- Western Europe experiences moral catastrophe - Patriarch Kirill 16 May 2016, 10:00
- Kremlin urges to immediately react on growing religious intolerance in the West 13 May 2016, 17:44
- Existence of Crimea outside of Russia was absurd, the Russian church official believes 13 May 2016, 10:00
- Poklonskaya announces arrest of four Hizb ut-Tahrir supporters in Crimea 12 May 2016, 18:38