04 October 2005, 17:45
Zyuganov against burying Lenin
Moscow, October 4, Interfax - Russian Communists leader Gennady Zyuganov said that statements on the necessity to bury Lenin are "irresponsible and provocative."
In a statement published on the Communists official web-site Zyuganov, commenting on a statement on Lenin's burial by Presidential envoy to the Central Federal District Georgy Poltavchenko, said that "the Communists consider the terrible words of this presidential envoy to be irresponsible and provocative, humiliating people's feelings and challenging the country's history and common sense."
The statement says that according "to the latest data from the Public Opinion Foundation more than 58% of Russians positively assessed Lenin's role in Russian history, with only 21% assessing it negatively."
"The statement has become another proof of the amorality and cynicism of the Russian authorities. The massacre in Chechnya with 120,000 killed might not be enough, and the Beslan tragedy likewise. How about the explosions and endless funerals? Now they want to touch with their filthy hands and drunken heads the sanctuary of the State, the Red Square, where more than 400 Heroes of the Great Soviet Era lie," Zyuganov said.
Zyuganov said that "the aspiration to rake up the remains of those dead is a grave sin and demonstration of mental pathology."
"People with such a level of comprehension of the national interests cannot assume high positions and be members of parliament," Zyuganov said.
Zyuganov said that "Lenin's body is buried two meters below ground level, according to all Russian traditions, and that there are a lot of such burials all over Europe."
Zyuganov said that the Red Square and the mausoleum are among monuments of global importance, protected by UNESCO.
- Patriarch Kirill tells Anglican leader about Ukraine's religious freedom violations 21 November 2017, 18:14
- Medvedev notes Patriarch Kirill's efforts in consolidating multi-million-person Russian world 21 November 2017, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill calls on film, stage industry not to rock boat of human passions 21 November 2017, 10:00
- Nikita Belykh allowed church wedding in detention 20 November 2017, 17:38
- Million signatures for protecting children from the moment of conception will be conveyed to the Kremlin administration 20 November 2017, 16:30
- Patriarch of Georgia will baptize 670 children on St. George Day 20 November 2017, 16:28
- Jewish leader thanks Patriarch Kirill on his birthday for "colossal" contribution to developing inter-religious relations 20 November 2017, 16:26
- Putin gives Patriarch Kirill painting featuring Kremlin's main Orthodox church 20 November 2017, 12:21
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls for laws protecting child since conception 20 November 2017, 10:46
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11
- Kadyrov waiting for Zyuganov's apology for remarks on Lenin's burial 07 November 2017, 10:07
- Putin offers Trump condolences over Texas tragedy 07 November 2017, 10:02
- Mausoleum is, must remain Lenin's burial place – Zyuganov 02 November 2017, 18:04
- Head of human rights council suggests turning Mausoleum into museum, selling tickets to enter it, think of Lenin's body as pharaoh's mummy 02 November 2017, 17:26