10 December 2007, 11:22
Orthodox priest believes the time has come to consider establishing of monarchy in Russia seriously
Moscow, December 10, Interfax – Spiritual leader of the Russian public monarchical movement For the Faith and Fatherland Hieromonk Nikon (Belavenets) speaks for restoration of monarchy in Russia and thinks that authorities will take this form of ruling without serious consequences.
‘It is high time we had thrown to the dump of history various ‘clichés’ that monarchy is a ‘historical anachronism’ and considered the possibility of a smooth transition from a republican regime to a monarchical form of ruling, may it be in limited and constitutional form’, the priest told Interfax-Religion.
Fr. Nikon reminded that the monarchy was abolished by an ordinary act of the Provisional Government 90 years ago, the very name of this government excluded any change of the state system. Thus, he further said, ‘real coup d’etat took place then, and Kerensky and Zarudny (who signed the act – IF) are not more lawful authority than the bolsheviks who replaced them’.
According to him, precocious proclamation of the republic in the country ‘did not save it from turmoil and bloody dictate’. ‘Any attempts to implant institutes of American and West-European democracy to the Russian soil will not be a success’, the interviewee of the agency is convinced.
‘Today the governing elite talks about monarchy only as if it were a remote history in no way connected with the present moment. However, if we look attentively at the realties of the modern Russian politics, this situation seems far from being so unambiguous’, Fr. Nikon said.
He thinks that ‘the transfer of power in modern Russia can not be considered entirely republican and reminds more of the Roman Empire model of ‘testamentary concession’ which is different from inheritance of the ‘body and natural kinship’. The latter was legalized by Pavel I in the late 18th century and brought Russia to the period of stability and prosperity’, the priest noted.
‘Certainly, any analogies are not absolute. Anyway, we can state that the Russian governing circles will accept the idea of restoring monarchical institutions tranquilly and painlessly enough’, Fr. Nikon supposed.
- Russian Orthodox Church says Patriarch Kirill of Moscow might meet with Pope Francis, no date, venue planned so far (updated) 06 December 2021, 17:54
- Most Russians say mocking church, national history, customs of other peoples unacceptable – poll 06 December 2021, 12:26
- Matviyenko views push for LGBT agenda, other alien values as unacceptable 06 December 2021, 11:10
- Russian Church believes that Russia's foreign enemies behind anti-vaxxer campaign in country 06 December 2021, 10:08
- Lawyers for defrocked priest Sergy to appeal conviction 30 November 2021, 18:13
- Former schema-hegumen Sergy sentenced to 3.5 years in prison (updated) 30 November 2021, 17:16
- Patriarch Kirill believes that the Kingdom of Heaven is bigger than cosmos 30 November 2021, 11:18
- Jews of Russia against celebrating Hanukkah together with Christmas in mixed families 30 November 2021, 11:12
- The anti-Covid restrictions on Hanukkah in Russia have been slightly relaxed 30 November 2021, 11:02
- Hermitage cat Seraphima goes to work in the Peter and Paul Cathedral 30 November 2021, 10:48
- Patriarch Kirill invited to Kazakhstan to Congress of Leaders of World and Traditional Religions 26 November 2021, 16:18
- Some "missionaries" of an extremist organization banned in the Russia convicted in Saratov 26 November 2021, 16:14
- The head of Belarusian Orthodox Church urged to treat migrants as "aliens" 24 November 2021, 15:39
- Rabbi Lazar concerned that the pandemic sometimes considered a Jewish conspiracy 24 November 2021, 15:33
- Patriarch Kirill describes ecclesiastical split in Ukraine as his personal woe 22 November 2021, 19:33
- Covid-19 pandemic won't last long, but will allow humanity to critically assess its capabilities - Patriarch Kirill 22 November 2021, 16:52
- Patriarch Kirill views Russia as leader of free world 22 November 2021, 16:35
- Russian Orthodox Church denies U.S. claims of violations of religious freedom in Russia 22 November 2021, 11:05
- Problem of church schism in Ukraine may be resolved through dialogue - Patriarch Kirill 22 November 2021, 11:02
- Putin bestows Order of St. Andrew on Patriarch Kirill, notes highest regard to him in Russia, abroad 22 November 2021, 10:54
- Jehovah's Witnesses elders detained in Russia's Astrakhan Region 18 November 2021, 16:45
- Court in Moscow fines Muz-TV 1 mln rubles for propaganda of homosexuality among minors 17 November 2021, 15:40
- Website of Side by Side festival blocked for forming positive attitude toward LGBT content 17 November 2021, 15:38
- Imam and one more person killed in Dagestani village shooting 12 November 2021, 20:25
- Prosecution service detects justification of terrorism, extremism in materials of Memorial human rights center 12 November 2021, 17:59
- Cell of Nurjular extremist organization, banned in Russia, shut down in Tatarstan 12 November 2021, 17:09
- The Russian synagogues didn't turn off the lights until morning In memory of the Kristallnacht 10 November 2021, 10:14
- Russian PM satisfied with Pope's attitude to Moscow's views on int'l issues 09 November 2021, 21:55
- MP does not rule out eventual genomic registration of all Russians 04 November 2021, 10:29
- Russian Church warns against turning vaccination into factor of national division 02 November 2021, 19:55