22 January 2008, 16:35
Catholic Church to finance an Orthodox school in Kalmykia village
Elista, January 22, Interfax - A Roman Catholic charitable foundation will help construct a Sunday school in the village of Troitskoye, the Tselinnyi District, Kalmykia in 2008 on the request of Archbishop Zosima of Elista and Kalmykia.
The diocese reported to Interfax that the Vatican’s representation in Russia plans to send books to an Orthodox library in the Russian national gymnasium of St. Sergius of Radonezh to open in Kalmykia’s capital on September 1, 2008.
The representation of the Holy See and the Elista Diocese developed friendly relations several years ago. Cupola of the Elista Cathedral of Our Lady of Kazan was reconstructed thanks to the Roman Church’s help in 2007.
Papal nuncio Antonio Mennini conveyed a particle of St. Ambrose of Mediolan relics to the Cathedral of Our Lady of Kazan during his recent visit to Elista.
‘It is a sign of friendship and respect to Orthodox Christians of Kalmykia and personally to the Diocesean head Archbishop Zosima. We are happy to hand over this shrine to the Elista Diocese. We hope that many Orthodox Christians of Kalmykia will receive spiritual consolation when venerating the relics of the great saint’, Mennini said.
Archbishop Zosima thanked the archbishop for his attention and support of spiritual revival in the republic.
The Catholic Church conveyed a particle of the Life-giving Cross of the Lord to Kalmykia last year.
- Patriarch Kirill calls on believers to refrain from visiting churches amid coronavirus pandemic 29 March 2020, 20:09
- Opera singer Svetlana Kasyan hospitalized with coronavirus 28 March 2020, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the end of pandemic 28 March 2020, 17:58
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia will give Pesach food sets to all parishioners 28 March 2020, 17:55
- Case of leader of Aum Shinrikyo group in Russia sent to prosecutor 26 March 2020, 19:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't plan to cancel Easter processions 26 March 2020, 16:25
- Russian Orthodox Church shows understanding of Sobyanin's advice not to attend service but says churches will stay open 26 March 2020, 15:08
- Sobyanin asks Muscovites not to visit religious sites 26 March 2020, 10:49
- Ukrainian monasteries will assign premises for Covid-19 patients 25 March 2020, 19:24
- FJCR closes all its synagogues in Russia 25 March 2020, 15:49
- Monastery south of Moscow thrown away dozens of dogs, police was told they miraculously flew away 24 March 2020, 17:40
- Lukashenko on coronavirus: If we get through until Orthodox Easter, we'll live 24 March 2020, 14:40
- Kyrgyz missionary contracts Covid-19 in Pakistan - Kyrgyz Foreign Ministry 23 March 2020, 14:40
- Georgian churches to let in max. 10 people in state of emergency - premier 23 March 2020, 12:29
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia's council postponed due to coronavirus 20 March 2020, 19:52
- Rabbi beaten to death in Dagestan 20 March 2020, 19:12
- Friday prayers cancelled in Moscow's mosques 20 March 2020, 13:33
- Tajikistan lifts ban on joint prayers in mosques 19 March 2020, 19:02
- Russian Orthodox Church does not exclude usage of plastic spoons for Communion 18 March 2020, 16:43
- Chief rabbi of Russia closes his synagogue 18 March 2020, 14:12
- Russian Synod orders increased sanitary measures at all dioceses with coronavirus 18 March 2020, 10:40
- Cathedral of Christ the Savior receives bomb threat on Tue 18 March 2020, 10:38
- Russian Church introduces exceptional measures for coronavirus prevention 17 March 2020, 19:00
- Leader of Pentecostals considers coronavirus a sign of coming Apocalypse 17 March 2020, 14:46
- Moscow's stance on Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem deals with reinstatement of Russia's property rights - Russian Embassy in Israel 17 March 2020, 11:12
- Rectors of Moscow churches will help elderly parishioners to buy and deliver food to their homes 17 March 2020, 11:08
- Russian Orthodox Church won't abolish liturgies even if coronavirus spreads 17 March 2020, 11:05
- Russian Church urges not to panic because of coronavirus 17 March 2020, 11:03
- Moldova closes churches 13 March 2020, 19:56
- Russian Jews reject idea that coronavirus sign of world ending 13 March 2020, 16:22