22 January 2008, 17:12
Suspected remains of tsar's children still being studied
Yekaterinburg, January 22, Interfax - Forensic scientists have come to a preliminary conclusion that body fragments unearthed near a country road in summer 2007 are "with a great degree of probability" the remains of the son and one of the daughters of last Russian tsar Nicholas II.
The remains, fragments of the bodies of a boy aged between 10 and 14 and a woman of 20 bearing marks of homicide, were buried by the side of the Staraya Koptyakovskaya Road near Yekaterinburg, the city where a Bolshevik firing squad put Nicholas, his family and some members of his entourage to death in July 1918.
The Sverdlovsk Regional Forensic Medicine Bureau and a lab in Moscow began genetic investigations of the remains late in December 2007. The bureau chief said it would be impossible to finish the studies by the start of February, an initial deadline. "I can't say exactly how much time will be needed," Nikolay Nevolin told Interfax.
The bureau does have some findings.
However, "we are by no means publicizing them," Nevolin said.
"The investigations that have been done so far don't give us any reason to question anything. There are results that are being obtained step by step, but all comments will come after the Russian side and an independent lab finish their investigations. So far everything is going normally," he said.
- Lawyers for defrocked priest Sergy to appeal conviction 30 November 2021, 18:13
- Former schema-hegumen Sergy sentenced to 3.5 years in prison (updated) 30 November 2021, 17:16
- Patriarch Kirill believes that the Kingdom of Heaven is bigger than cosmos 30 November 2021, 11:18
- Jews of Russia against celebrating Hanukkah together with Christmas in mixed families 30 November 2021, 11:12
- The anti-Covid restrictions on Hanukkah in Russia have been slightly relaxed 30 November 2021, 11:02
- Hermitage cat Seraphima goes to work in the Peter and Paul Cathedral 30 November 2021, 10:48
- Patriarch Kirill invited to Kazakhstan to Congress of Leaders of World and Traditional Religions 26 November 2021, 16:18
- Some "missionaries" of an extremist organization banned in the Russia convicted in Saratov 26 November 2021, 16:14
- The head of Belarusian Orthodox Church urged to treat migrants as "aliens" 24 November 2021, 15:39
- Rabbi Lazar concerned that the pandemic sometimes considered a Jewish conspiracy 24 November 2021, 15:33
- Patriarch Kirill describes ecclesiastical split in Ukraine as his personal woe 22 November 2021, 19:33
- Covid-19 pandemic won't last long, but will allow humanity to critically assess its capabilities - Patriarch Kirill 22 November 2021, 16:52
- Patriarch Kirill views Russia as leader of free world 22 November 2021, 16:35
- Russian Orthodox Church denies U.S. claims of violations of religious freedom in Russia 22 November 2021, 11:05
- Problem of church schism in Ukraine may be resolved through dialogue - Patriarch Kirill 22 November 2021, 11:02
- Putin bestows Order of St. Andrew on Patriarch Kirill, notes highest regard to him in Russia, abroad 22 November 2021, 10:54
- Jehovah's Witnesses elders detained in Russia's Astrakhan Region 18 November 2021, 16:45
- Court in Moscow fines Muz-TV 1 mln rubles for propaganda of homosexuality among minors 17 November 2021, 15:40
- Website of Side by Side festival blocked for forming positive attitude toward LGBT content 17 November 2021, 15:38
- Imam and one more person killed in Dagestani village shooting 12 November 2021, 20:25
- Prosecution service detects justification of terrorism, extremism in materials of Memorial human rights center 12 November 2021, 17:59
- Cell of Nurjular extremist organization, banned in Russia, shut down in Tatarstan 12 November 2021, 17:09
- The Russian synagogues didn't turn off the lights until morning In memory of the Kristallnacht 10 November 2021, 10:14
- Russian PM satisfied with Pope's attitude to Moscow's views on int'l issues 09 November 2021, 21:55
- MP does not rule out eventual genomic registration of all Russians 04 November 2021, 10:29
- Russian Church warns against turning vaccination into factor of national division 02 November 2021, 19:55
- FJCR president calls for imposing restrictions on those who don't want to get vaccinated 02 November 2021, 16:00
- Russian Orthodox Church calls on G20 countries to drop differences over pandemic challenges 01 November 2021, 12:35
- The court of St. Petersburg refused to punish the participant of a candid photo shoot against the background of St. Isaac's Cathedral 01 November 2021, 11:04
- FJCR president estimates number of Russian Jews at 1 mln 29 October 2021, 10:45