19 February 2008, 18:29
No breakthrough in Orthodox-Catholic dialogue - Russian Church (updated)
Moscow, February 19, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate doesn't share the optimism of Walter Kasper, the president of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity, regarding the outcome of a meeting between Orthodox and Catholics in Ravenna.
Earlier, the Vatican official said in an interview with the Our Sunday Visitor magazine, while commenting on the final document adopted by the Ravenna meeting of the Mixed Orthodox-Catholic Theologian Commission, that a "real breakthrough" had been accomplished in the dialogue between the two Churches.
"I don't share Cardinal Kasper's optimism about the Ravenna document and deem it premature," Bishop Hilarion of Vienna and all Austria, who represents the Russian Church in European international organizations, told Interfax-Religion on Tuesday.
The Russian and Bulgarian Orthodox Churches and the Orthodox Church in America did not attend the Ravenna meeting. More than half of the Orthodox population are members of these churches, he said.
Consequently, the bishop said, the Ravenna document cannot be described as "Orthodox-Catholic." It is an agreement between representatives of the Catholic Church and some, but not all local Orthodox Churches, he said.
The bishop noted that the cardinal’s interview “in no way implicates that Orthodox-Catholic dialogue should or may result in revision of the Roman-Catholic teaching on the papal primacy.” On the contrary, Kasper thinks once the Eucharistic communication is restored “a new form of primacy would be found for Orthodox Church.”
According to Bishop Hilarion, Kasper refers to the form already existing “in Eastern Churches in communion with Rome”, in the Greek Catholic Churches.
The Russian Church’s representative considers it as just the next proposal to follow Greek-Catholic example and “join the Union with Rome.”
The interviewee of the agency noted that the cardinal reminded: the Catholic Church had already had two models of primacy described in two canonical law codes - for the Latin Church and for Eastern Churches. “In compliance with the canonical codes, the primacy is realized differently in the Latin Church and in the Eastern Churches,” Kasper said.
‘If it is ‘a breakthrough’ reached in the Ravenna meeting, then I’m afraid it won’t inspire Orthodox believers who consider the Union - in form realized in history - a symbol of violation against their conscience and betrayal of Orthodoxy,’ the hierarch noted.
Bishop Hilarion stressed that Orthodox and Catholic didn’t need ‘another Union.’
‘We need a strategical partnership excluding any forms of proselytism. Further theological dialogue is also necessary to clear up the most controversial provisions of the Orthodox and Catholic ecclesiology (teaching on the Church - IF) rather than to adopt a new Union,” he stated.
The Moscow Patriarchate’s delegation left one of the commission’s first sessions in Ravenna as they didn’t agree to participation of the so-called ‘Estonian Apostolic Church’ established by the Constantinople Patriarchate on the Russian Church’s canonical territory in 1996. In the absence of the Russian Church’s representatives, the participants adopted a final document defining their joint view on the nature of rule in the Ecumenical Church.
- Supreme mufti of Syria thanks Russia for opposing "snobby West" 31 October 2014, 10:45
- "Islamic caliphate" is more dangerous than World War III 31 October 2014, 10:44
- Secularists seemingly getting superiority over Islamists in Libya war - analyst 30 October 2014, 18:03
- Patriarch Kirill likens Ukraine situation with Arab Spring 30 October 2014, 10:01
- ISIS is no use for the USA and threatens to destroy entire Islamic civilization 29 October 2014, 18:06
- ISIS is instrument for unleashing World War III 29 October 2014, 17:27
- Georgian patriarch urges rapprochement with Russia 29 October 2014, 17:26
- Orthodox believers to hold an action "Drink pumpkin juice for repose of Halloween 29 October 2014, 11:54
- Syrian mufti, Russian communist leader slam U.S. policies towards Damascus, Moscow 29 October 2014, 11:16
- World Russian People's Council suggests to limit entry of young Russians to the countries where they can fall victims of juvenile justice 28 October 2014, 17:53
- Head of the Orthodox Citizens Union urges to throw 'the fifth column' out of Russian authorities and media 28 October 2014, 12:20
- Competitors give up Russian witch protesting against church building to the police in Moscow 28 October 2014, 11:37
- Bans only can't solve the problem of spreading harmful information in Internet 28 October 2014, 11:02
- Promoting traditional Islam values and culture is a priority in the country - the State Committee head 28 October 2014, 10:12
- Rise in ethnic, religious conflicts one of global threats - Putin 28 October 2014, 10:05
- UNESCO experts to consider the chances of restoring Kremlin historical image including its two monasteries 28 October 2014, 10:00
- Rahmon: OIC countries face global challenges 27 October 2014, 14:25
- Patriarch Kirill urges to cultivate national soil so that it won't become a side of the alien road 27 October 2014, 11:07
- Putin warns that buying oil from IS militants finances terrorism 24 October 2014, 17:39
- USA supports neo-Nazis and Islamic radicals instead of democracy - Putin 24 October 2014, 17:11
- Russian sculptor Tsereteli to open a monument to John Paul II at Notre-Dame de Paris 24 October 2014, 15:43
- Two Wahabis get long prison terms for plotting terror act at Russia's chemical arms disposal plant 24 October 2014, 15:04
- Canalization manholes with St. George the Victory-Bearer can appear in Moscow, Orthodox believres outraged 24 October 2014, 14:40
- Tajik family fined for giving lavish welcome-back to relative after Mecca hajj 24 October 2014, 13:13
- The Ukrainian Orthodox Church official believes peace efforts of Kiev authorities insufficient 23 October 2014, 14:17
- IOPS chairman asks Iraqi president to release Tariq Aziz 23 October 2014, 11:32
- Islamists on rise in C. Asia as CU, SCO expected to expand - expert 23 October 2014, 10:01
- Historian doubts Nicholas II abdicated the throne 22 October 2014, 17:20
- Constitutional Court turns down Pussy Riot member appeal against disorderly conduct qualification 22 October 2014, 16:10
- Israeli authorities are ready to extradite Grozovsky - source 22 October 2014, 15:57