19 February 2008, 18:29
No breakthrough in Orthodox-Catholic dialogue - Russian Church (updated)
Moscow, February 19, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate doesn't share the optimism of Walter Kasper, the president of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity, regarding the outcome of a meeting between Orthodox and Catholics in Ravenna.
Earlier, the Vatican official said in an interview with the Our Sunday Visitor magazine, while commenting on the final document adopted by the Ravenna meeting of the Mixed Orthodox-Catholic Theologian Commission, that a "real breakthrough" had been accomplished in the dialogue between the two Churches.
"I don't share Cardinal Kasper's optimism about the Ravenna document and deem it premature," Bishop Hilarion of Vienna and all Austria, who represents the Russian Church in European international organizations, told Interfax-Religion on Tuesday.
The Russian and Bulgarian Orthodox Churches and the Orthodox Church in America did not attend the Ravenna meeting. More than half of the Orthodox population are members of these churches, he said.
Consequently, the bishop said, the Ravenna document cannot be described as "Orthodox-Catholic." It is an agreement between representatives of the Catholic Church and some, but not all local Orthodox Churches, he said.
The bishop noted that the cardinal’s interview “in no way implicates that Orthodox-Catholic dialogue should or may result in revision of the Roman-Catholic teaching on the papal primacy.” On the contrary, Kasper thinks once the Eucharistic communication is restored “a new form of primacy would be found for Orthodox Church.”
According to Bishop Hilarion, Kasper refers to the form already existing “in Eastern Churches in communion with Rome”, in the Greek Catholic Churches.
The Russian Church’s representative considers it as just the next proposal to follow Greek-Catholic example and “join the Union with Rome.”
The interviewee of the agency noted that the cardinal reminded: the Catholic Church had already had two models of primacy described in two canonical law codes - for the Latin Church and for Eastern Churches. “In compliance with the canonical codes, the primacy is realized differently in the Latin Church and in the Eastern Churches,” Kasper said.
‘If it is ‘a breakthrough’ reached in the Ravenna meeting, then I’m afraid it won’t inspire Orthodox believers who consider the Union - in form realized in history - a symbol of violation against their conscience and betrayal of Orthodoxy,’ the hierarch noted.
Bishop Hilarion stressed that Orthodox and Catholic didn’t need ‘another Union.’
‘We need a strategical partnership excluding any forms of proselytism. Further theological dialogue is also necessary to clear up the most controversial provisions of the Orthodox and Catholic ecclesiology (teaching on the Church - IF) rather than to adopt a new Union,” he stated.
The Moscow Patriarchate’s delegation left one of the commission’s first sessions in Ravenna as they didn’t agree to participation of the so-called ‘Estonian Apostolic Church’ established by the Constantinople Patriarchate on the Russian Church’s canonical territory in 1996. In the absence of the Russian Church’s representatives, the participants adopted a final document defining their joint view on the nature of rule in the Ecumenical Church.
- Russia, U.S. must melt ice in relationship, overcome global crises - Patriarch Kirill 21 November 2014, 19:02
- At least 50 churches were damaged in military action in Ukraine - Russian expert 21 November 2014, 18:20
- Uniates following UOC hierarchs distanced from memorandum for the Local Church 21 November 2014, 16:03
- Moscow wants Islamic world disagreements resolved - Russian foreign minister 21 November 2014, 12:14
- Putin, patriarch unveil monument to Alexander I outside Kremlin 21 November 2014, 10:02
- Jerusalem synagogue attack extreme, Russia must prevent such crimes - Putin 20 November 2014, 17:53
- DNR soldiers venerate St. George relics 20 November 2014, 14:30
- Patriarch Kirill speaks on divorce statistics 19 November 2014, 15:19
- Orthodox youth should be modern: no dress-codes and 'ethnographic ghetto' is needed 19 November 2014, 13:56
- Patriarch Kirill urges young people not to substitute real communication with virtual 19 November 2014, 13:37
- Patriarch Kirill recommends to take up the cross, not to 'relax and enjoy' 19 November 2014, 12:54
- Moscow denounces deadly attack on Jerusalem synagogue - Foreign Ministry 19 November 2014, 10:01
- Religions play key role in maintaining peace and stability - Azeri leader 18 November 2014, 11:26
- Residents in south Moscow voluntarily refuse parking lots to build a church 17 November 2014, 17:59
- Wars in Muslim countries stem from poverty, lack of education - leader of CIS' only legal Islamic party 17 November 2014, 12:07
- Russian patriarch urges Serbs to cherish brotherly unity with Russian people 17 November 2014, 11:01
- Russian, Serbian patriarchs sanctify monument to Nicholas II in Belgrade 17 November 2014, 10:55
- Patriarch Kirill calls to stop violations of rights, liberties of Serbian population of Kosovo 17 November 2014, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes attempts to rewrite history of Serbia, former USSR 17 November 2014, 10:15
- Serbian-Russian friendship is based on spiritual closeness, not amount of gas sold - Serbian president 17 November 2014, 10:02
- Procession with cross for peace marches in Ukraine 14 November 2014, 19:59
- Israel blames Palestine for exacerbation of situation with Temple Mount in Jerusalem 14 November 2014, 18:16
- Patriarch Kirill calls on people of Serbia to work together on renewing Europe 14 November 2014, 17:55
- Hundreds of people welcome Patriarch Kirill in Belgrade 14 November 2014, 17:49
- Orthodox world will never recognize Ukrainian schismatics - the Ukrainian Orthodox Church 14 November 2014, 10:08
- IS leader Omar Ash-Shishani has been killed - Kadyrov 13 November 2014, 15:54
- UOC Primate awards Interfax-Religion editor-in-chief 13 November 2014, 14:37
- Russians trust president, church, army - poll 13 November 2014, 14:36
- Russian Orthodox Church: Christian suffering in Middle East caused by West indifference 12 November 2014, 17:19
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Serbia 12 November 2014, 14:28