19 February 2008, 18:29
No breakthrough in Orthodox-Catholic dialogue - Russian Church (updated)
Moscow, February 19, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate doesn't share the optimism of Walter Kasper, the president of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity, regarding the outcome of a meeting between Orthodox and Catholics in Ravenna.
Earlier, the Vatican official said in an interview with the Our Sunday Visitor magazine, while commenting on the final document adopted by the Ravenna meeting of the Mixed Orthodox-Catholic Theologian Commission, that a "real breakthrough" had been accomplished in the dialogue between the two Churches.
"I don't share Cardinal Kasper's optimism about the Ravenna document and deem it premature," Bishop Hilarion of Vienna and all Austria, who represents the Russian Church in European international organizations, told Interfax-Religion on Tuesday.
The Russian and Bulgarian Orthodox Churches and the Orthodox Church in America did not attend the Ravenna meeting. More than half of the Orthodox population are members of these churches, he said.
Consequently, the bishop said, the Ravenna document cannot be described as "Orthodox-Catholic." It is an agreement between representatives of the Catholic Church and some, but not all local Orthodox Churches, he said.
The bishop noted that the cardinal’s interview “in no way implicates that Orthodox-Catholic dialogue should or may result in revision of the Roman-Catholic teaching on the papal primacy.” On the contrary, Kasper thinks once the Eucharistic communication is restored “a new form of primacy would be found for Orthodox Church.”
According to Bishop Hilarion, Kasper refers to the form already existing “in Eastern Churches in communion with Rome”, in the Greek Catholic Churches.
The Russian Church’s representative considers it as just the next proposal to follow Greek-Catholic example and “join the Union with Rome.”
The interviewee of the agency noted that the cardinal reminded: the Catholic Church had already had two models of primacy described in two canonical law codes - for the Latin Church and for Eastern Churches. “In compliance with the canonical codes, the primacy is realized differently in the Latin Church and in the Eastern Churches,” Kasper said.
‘If it is ‘a breakthrough’ reached in the Ravenna meeting, then I’m afraid it won’t inspire Orthodox believers who consider the Union - in form realized in history - a symbol of violation against their conscience and betrayal of Orthodoxy,’ the hierarch noted.
Bishop Hilarion stressed that Orthodox and Catholic didn’t need ‘another Union.’
‘We need a strategical partnership excluding any forms of proselytism. Further theological dialogue is also necessary to clear up the most controversial provisions of the Orthodox and Catholic ecclesiology (teaching on the Church - IF) rather than to adopt a new Union,” he stated.
The Moscow Patriarchate’s delegation left one of the commission’s first sessions in Ravenna as they didn’t agree to participation of the so-called ‘Estonian Apostolic Church’ established by the Constantinople Patriarchate on the Russian Church’s canonical territory in 1996. In the absence of the Russian Church’s representatives, the participants adopted a final document defining their joint view on the nature of rule in the Ecumenical Church.
- Ex-leader of Bashkir national movement jailed for three years for religious extremism 28 July 2015, 12:16
- Russia to continue Donbass peace efforts in response to Patriarch Kirill's message - the Kremlin 28 July 2015, 12:14
- Kremlin to host presidential reception in honor of Baptizer of Russia 28 July 2015, 11:39
- Patriarch Kirill launches anti-war appeal to Putin, Poroshenko on eve of Russia Christianization Day (updated) 27 July 2015, 18:16
- Kiev priest attack must not remain unpunished - Moscow Patriarchate 27 July 2015, 17:25
- Chelyabinsk Islamist gets 5-year sentence 27 July 2015, 17:02
- Wahabi from Dagestan detained with ammo, heroin on bus to Moscow 27 July 2015, 16:59
- Moscow Patriarchate priest badly wounded in Kiev 27 July 2015, 11:48
- Jews with synagogues on wheels to visit over 70 cities of Russia 27 July 2015, 10:34
- Arkhangelsk authorities ban LGBT event on Airborne Troops Day 27 July 2015, 10:11
- Georgian Patriarch successfully operated on in Germany 27 July 2015, 10:00
- Chapel or memorial sign to appear in place of collapsed barracks in Omsk 24 July 2015, 12:45
- Kyrgyz PM proposes to build special prison for religious extremists 24 July 2015, 11:42
- Russian Orthodox Church urges authorities against leaving people without ideological "wheel and sails" 23 July 2015, 15:40
- Valaam abbot gives up Internet, suggests restricting use of smartphones in monasteries 23 July 2015, 10:01
- No way back to Chechnya for those joining Islamic State – Kadyrov 22 July 2015, 12:23
- Tajik former election committee member from Islamic party jailed for illegal arms possession 21 July 2015, 14:35
- State Duma deputy asks Russian foreign minister to initiate international tribunal for ISIL 21 July 2015, 11:20
- At least 500 Tajiks fighting alongside IS - Interior Ministry 21 July 2015, 10:01
- Ukrainian miners build a church at the depth of 800 meters 20 July 2015, 16:53
- Patriarch Kirill urges Ukraine not to politicize the term 'Russian world' 20 July 2015, 13:35
- Icons and coins for ˆ16,000 stolen from a collector's flat in Moscow 20 July 2015, 11:46
- Metropolitan of Kiev calls on Ukrainian authorities to do everything to stop war 17 July 2015, 16:18
- Mufti Tajuddin criticizes West for "vicious lie" and double standards 17 July 2015, 11:50
- Almost 160,000 Muslims took part in Eid al-Fitr celebrations in Moscow – police 17 July 2015, 11:28
- Merkel's words about marriage as a union between man and woman sound like 'the bolt from the rainbow blue' 17 July 2015, 10:02
- Spiritual father of the Olympic team tells how departing Olympic mascot Misha touched the patriarch 16 July 2015, 14:37
- Lavrov grateful to Uzbek president for support to Orthodox Church 16 July 2015, 11:54
- Pastor to be released in Iran before term as Patriarch Kirill interceded for him 15 July 2015, 17:12
- Tajik Justice Ministry assures Islamic Revival Party that it won't be closed without court ruling 15 July 2015, 17:06