27 February 2008, 15:03
Yushchenko decorates Cardinal Husar with the highest Ukrainian award
Moscow, February 27, Interfax - Ukrainian president Viktor Yushchenko signed a decree to decorate the head of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church Cardinal Lyubomyr Husar with the order of Prince Yaroslav the Wise (the 3rd class).
He is honored with the highest state award “for his outstanding personal contribution in spiritual revival of the Ukrainian nation, longstanding church work and to mark his 75th birthday,” official site of the Ukrainian president has reported.
Ushchenko also banned to place entertaining and gambling sites near religious buildings, especially near the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Cathedral and instructed to allot a land plot for building an Armenian Apostolic cathedral.
Husar was born in 1933 in Lvov. His family fled to Austria in 1944 and five years after emigrated to the USA. He studied in the theological seminary, in Washington Catholic University and Fordham University of New York. He was ordained a priest in 1948 in Stamford.
He was consecrated a bishop in April 1977. He established a Studite monastery in Ternopol in 1994 and the same year was elected an exarch of the newly found Exarchate of Kiev and Vyshhorod. He became a head of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church in December 2000.
His residence was moved from Lvov to Kiev in August 21, 2005 to strong objections of the Orthodox Church.
Husar is considered a successor of the union “patriarch” Josyf Slipyj, who was a spiritual leader of the SS-Galichina division and the Wehrmacht Nachtigal battalion.
- Zelensky urges clerics to back Ukraine's initiatives in run-up to Normandy-format summit 05 December 2019, 13:54
- Saint Isaac's Cathedral and 5 other churchs in St. Petersburg received bomb threats 05 December 2019, 13:52
- Serbian president invites Putin to attend opening of St. Sava Cathedral in Belgrade 04 December 2019, 19:35
- Moscow's Christ the Savior Cathedral alerted to bomb threat 03 December 2019, 20:55
- One year on OCU defectors account for less than 1% of our parishes - UOC 03 December 2019, 18:46
- Moscow Jewish Museum to break stereotypes - director 03 December 2019, 17:26
- FSB reports detention of 9 Hizb ut-Tahrir members recruited Muslims 03 December 2019, 14:12
- Russian Bishops' Council to assess global Orthodox situation in near future 02 December 2019, 20:27
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church calls for end of infowar between Ukraine, Russia 02 December 2019, 18:45
- Russian Patriarch Kirill invited to Estonia by country's Lutheran leader 29 November 2019, 18:31
- Moscow court arrests U.S. rabbi in absentia in Schneerson library case 29 November 2019, 13:56
- Putin notes importance of coordination with OIC in countering threats 29 November 2019, 12:04
- Abortion rate in Russia declines considerably in past 18 years 28 November 2019, 19:06
- Patriarch of Alexandria sends kisses to head of OCU 28 November 2019, 18:29
- FJCR sees plans to arrest U.S. rabbi in Schneerson library case as absurd 28 November 2019, 17:23
- Bulgarian Church takes step toward recognizing OCU 28 November 2019, 17:21
- Ukraine has seen no attacks motivated by anti-Semitism in past 3 years - Association of Jewish Communities 27 November 2019, 17:18
- ROCOR to build new church in U.S 27 November 2019, 17:17
- Orthodox priest in Russia's Jewish Autonomous Region suspected of child molestation 26 November 2019, 14:25
- Georgian patriarch, foreign ambassadors discuss detention of doctor Gaprindashvili in S. Ossetia 26 November 2019, 10:07
- Interreligious Council of Russia calls on int'l community to restore Middle East's holy sites 25 November 2019, 20:28
- Sholem Aleichem monument vandalized near synagogue in Kiev 25 November 2019, 18:46
- Russian parliament, govt agree that extra measures needed to fight domestic violence - Matviyenko 25 November 2019, 16:06
- Russian Orthodox Church cautions against combating domestic violence with Western methods 25 November 2019, 16:05
- Patriarch Kirill suspends operation of Alexandria Patriarchate's Moscow mission 25 November 2019, 11:35
- Meeting between heads of Churches important in crisis in inter-Orthodox relations - Metropolitan Hilarion 22 November 2019, 15:41
- Russian Orthodox Church welcomes Jerusalem patriarch's proposal of Church leaders' meeting to settle differences 21 November 2019, 20:50
- Patriarch of Jerusalem awarded for strengthening Orthodox Christian unity 21 November 2019, 20:47
- Patriarch of Jerusalem initiates meeting of heads of local churches in Amman with view to preserving church unity 21 November 2019, 17:22
- Putin stresses importance of joint efforts to protect Christians in Middle East 20 November 2019, 21:09