27 February 2008, 15:03
Yushchenko decorates Cardinal Husar with the highest Ukrainian award
Moscow, February 27, Interfax - Ukrainian president Viktor Yushchenko signed a decree to decorate the head of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church Cardinal Lyubomyr Husar with the order of Prince Yaroslav the Wise (the 3rd class).
He is honored with the highest state award “for his outstanding personal contribution in spiritual revival of the Ukrainian nation, longstanding church work and to mark his 75th birthday,” official site of the Ukrainian president has reported.
Ushchenko also banned to place entertaining and gambling sites near religious buildings, especially near the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Cathedral and instructed to allot a land plot for building an Armenian Apostolic cathedral.
Husar was born in 1933 in Lvov. His family fled to Austria in 1944 and five years after emigrated to the USA. He studied in the theological seminary, in Washington Catholic University and Fordham University of New York. He was ordained a priest in 1948 in Stamford.
He was consecrated a bishop in April 1977. He established a Studite monastery in Ternopol in 1994 and the same year was elected an exarch of the newly found Exarchate of Kiev and Vyshhorod. He became a head of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church in December 2000.
His residence was moved from Lvov to Kiev in August 21, 2005 to strong objections of the Orthodox Church.
Husar is considered a successor of the union “patriarch” Josyf Slipyj, who was a spiritual leader of the SS-Galichina division and the Wehrmacht Nachtigal battalion.
- Russian Church has established a day of remembrance for the victims of repression 27 September 2021, 11:06
- Russian Orthodox Church considering accepting Alexandria clergy who don't want to recognize Ukrainian schism 24 September 2021, 17:40
- Patriarch of Constantinople who visited Kiev has no right to speak on behalf of Orthodox world - Russian Church 24 September 2021, 17:24
- Russian Prosecutor General's Office designates two Scientology organizations undesirable 24 September 2021, 16:58
- Five Jehovah's Witnesses convicted in Russia's Volgograd Region 24 September 2021, 10:10
- Court dismisses appeal against forcible treatment of Yakutia shaman Gabyshev 23 September 2021, 15:22
- FJCR calls on Ukrainian authorities to expand definition of anti-Semitism 23 September 2021, 15:18
- Krasny Pakhar Jamaat added to Russian list of terrorist groups 22 September 2021, 16:29
- Ukraine adopts law on fight against anti-Semitism 22 September 2021, 13:38
- Afghanistan must form inclusive govt - SCO summit declaration 17 September 2021, 17:12
- Patriarch Kirill doubts legitimacy of authority of Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople 16 September 2021, 16:38
- Jehovah's Witness jailed for 3 years in Kostroma 08 September 2021, 10:00
- Jehovah's Witness from Pskov Region gets suspended sentence 08 September 2021, 10:00
- Putin notes contribution of Jewish religious organizations to interethnic peace, accord 06 September 2021, 14:26
- Metropolitan Hilarion compared Patriarch Bartholomew to a robber and a thief 06 September 2021, 10:52
- Russian Church concerned about the fate of Christians in Afghanistan 06 September 2021, 10:43
- Supporters of radical Islam held in Tula 06 September 2021, 10:36
- Defrocked priest Sergy's supporter remanded in custody – court 02 September 2021, 18:13
- More than 5.5 thousand clerics and monks of the Russian Orthodox Church in Russia have been ill with coronavirus 02 September 2021, 14:36
- More than 2.5 million people have visited the Jewish Museum in Moscow during its nine years of operation 02 September 2021, 14:31
- Lithuanian president promises not to allow LGBT history to be taught in schools 02 September 2021, 14:25
- Associate of former schema-hegumen Sergy detained in hatred fanning case 01 September 2021, 15:26
- Complaints about threats from Male State community should be processed by law enforcement agencies - Peskov 31 August 2021, 14:57
- Taliban to present themselves as less radical to get investments – expert 31 August 2021, 13:45
- Russian Justice Ministry adds 4 Ukrainian and Latvian religious movements to list of groups undesirable in Russia 30 August 2021, 18:12
- The church historian called the results of Patriarch Bartholomew's visit to Ukraine deplorable 30 August 2021, 16:04
- More than 500 Orthodox churches to be built in Moscow 30 August 2021, 11:07
- Russian authorities to check the construction of a closed "halal" village near Moscow 30 August 2021, 10:49
- Patriarch Kirill calls the visit of the Constantinople primate to Kiev sinful 30 August 2021, 10:40
- Organizers of Jehovah's Witnesses cell detained in Moscow 26 August 2021, 15:55