27 February 2008, 15:03
Yushchenko decorates Cardinal Husar with the highest Ukrainian award
Moscow, February 27, Interfax - Ukrainian president Viktor Yushchenko signed a decree to decorate the head of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church Cardinal Lyubomyr Husar with the order of Prince Yaroslav the Wise (the 3rd class).
He is honored with the highest state award “for his outstanding personal contribution in spiritual revival of the Ukrainian nation, longstanding church work and to mark his 75th birthday,” official site of the Ukrainian president has reported.
Ushchenko also banned to place entertaining and gambling sites near religious buildings, especially near the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Cathedral and instructed to allot a land plot for building an Armenian Apostolic cathedral.
Husar was born in 1933 in Lvov. His family fled to Austria in 1944 and five years after emigrated to the USA. He studied in the theological seminary, in Washington Catholic University and Fordham University of New York. He was ordained a priest in 1948 in Stamford.
He was consecrated a bishop in April 1977. He established a Studite monastery in Ternopol in 1994 and the same year was elected an exarch of the newly found Exarchate of Kiev and Vyshhorod. He became a head of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church in December 2000.
His residence was moved from Lvov to Kiev in August 21, 2005 to strong objections of the Orthodox Church.
Husar is considered a successor of the union “patriarch” Josyf Slipyj, who was a spiritual leader of the SS-Galichina division and the Wehrmacht Nachtigal battalion.
- Kremlin not commenting on end of discussion about monument on Lubyanskaya Square - Peskov 01 March 2021, 14:19
- Moscow Mayor Sobyanin proposes to leave Lubyanskaya Square as it is for now 26 February 2021, 22:42
- Acting leader of Abkhazian Diocese is member of Georgian Church - Georgian Patriarchate 26 February 2021, 17:44
- Search underway on premises of Sredneuralsky Convent 26 February 2021, 17:41
- Defrocked priest Sergy's pretrial detention extended until end of spring 26 February 2021, 10:00
- Armenian Apostolic Church urges politicians to start talks 25 February 2021, 15:04
- Omsk resident fined 375,000 rubles for excusing terror attack in New Zealand 25 February 2021, 11:48
- Yakutian shaman Gabyshev charged with violence against police officer 25 February 2021, 10:45
- Meeting between Russian patriarch, Pope doesn't improve Christians' position in Middle East contrary to expectations - Metropolitan Hilarion 24 February 2021, 10:00
- Muscovites will choose between monuments to Dzerzhinsky, Alexander Nevsky on Lubyanka Square 20 February 2021, 10:03
- Former schema-monk Sergy admits giving bribe amounting to 'millions of dollars' 18 February 2021, 16:30
- World Russian People's Council backs idea of Ivan III monument on Lubyanka Square in Moscow 18 February 2021, 16:11
- FJCR suggests reinstalling fountain at Lubyanka 18 February 2021, 15:30
- Suspected organizer of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Russia's Kemerovo region placed under house arrest 17 February 2021, 14:11
- Police detain man who splashed Holocaust monument in Yerevan with paint 17 February 2021, 13:44
- The giant castle of corona cannibal to be burned in Russia on Maslenitsa 17 February 2021, 12:08
- Lawyers' association supports bill limiting surrogate motherhood in Russia 17 February 2021, 10:00
- FSB detain people suspected of financing ISIL under guise of donations to mosques in Crimea, Tatarstan 16 February 2021, 15:19
- World Union of Old Believers backs idea to place Ivan III monument on Moscow's Lubyanka Square 16 February 2021, 09:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion concerned by detention on non-participants in unsanctioned rallies 15 February 2021, 09:17
- Moscow court arrests 2 Jehovah's Witnesses 15 February 2021, 09:15
- Foreign Intelligence Service head compares those who insult WWII veterans to Nazi collaborators 12 February 2021, 11:53
- Congress of the Leaders of World and Traditional Religions in Kazakhstan postponed to next year 12 February 2021, 11:07
- Sputnik V vaccine halal - Gamaleya Center expert 12 February 2021, 10:03
- Court denies former schema hegumen Sergy right to participate in dispute over church on territory of Sredneuralsky Convent 10 February 2021, 20:39
- Several organizers of Jehovah's Witnesses cell detained in Moscow 10 February 2021, 11:43
- Resident of Russia's Dagestan jailed for 10 years for killing local rabbi 10 February 2021, 11:14
- Tajik authorities classify sentence of opposition Islamic party leader 09 February 2021, 17:35
- The International Day of Human Brotherhood celebrates in Russia for the first time 09 February 2021, 10:13
- Tolerance lessons have already been held for half a million schoolchildren in Russia 09 February 2021, 10:04