28 February 2008, 16:16
Russian Church strives to keep up moral norms in European society
Moscow, February 28, Interfax – The Russian Orthodox Church stands for the primacy of moral law in private, public and political life of the European continent.
“The Russian Orthodox Church is concerned with the future of Europe. It is our duty to state: lack of centuries-proven models of righteous life suppresses human dignity,” the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations head Metropolitan Kirill said on Wednesday at a round table in Moscow with president of the European People’s Party Wilfried Martens.
According to the metropolitan, only economically profitable things are allowed to public space and profitable is to slave a person to his passions and exploit his instincts.”
“It’s always easier to deprive a person of his money if he is intoxicated with passions and moved by instincts rather than if he strives to live in compliance with moral ideas,” Metropolitan Kirill stressed.
The Russian Church’s representative is convinced that slavery to passions is “the most serious threat for human dignity”, as it makes happiness impossible for Europeans, destroys their freedom and makes public problems insoluble.
“Europeans should revise the role of their spiritual heritage for the continent’s future in order to escape these dangers,” Metropolitan Kirill said. He pointed out that Europe’s moral idea is expressed in traditional Christian values and “civilization will exist so long as humanity manages to tell good from evil, truth from lie, sin from righteousness.”
Representative of the Russian Church to the European Institutions Bishop Hilarion pointed out to another contemporary problem of the Western Europe which is Christianophobia.
The bishop explained that it not only drives Christian values away from social life, but also has external manifestations. For example, it’s impossible to buy a Christmas card in free sale in Great Britain as it is considered politically incorrect. Portugal schools named after saints strive to get rid of saints in their titles.
The bishop is perplexed that European society is more anxious to protect criminal’s life than lives of unborn children. He also said that when homosexual right to adopt children is discussed, they seldom question if children have right not to be adopted by such families.
- Klitchko speaks in defense of UOC 22 February 2019, 21:59
- UOC bishop calls on Ukrainian PM to put end to church takeovers 22 February 2019, 21:48
- Investigative Committee, human rights commissioner in Khanty-Mansiysk Autonomous District to verify info on torture of detained Jehovah's Witnesses 22 February 2019, 18:51
- Karakol Initiative Group in Altay added to list of prohibited organizations 21 February 2019, 19:24
- Moscow Patriarchate's UOC says only 12 out of 36,000 communities joined OCU 21 February 2019, 19:22
- Putin awaiting Supreme Court conclusions on freedom of conscience, religious organizations law violations 21 February 2019, 17:53
- Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society opens UK office 21 February 2019, 17:49
- The Cyprus Synod doesn't recognize the new church of Ukraine 21 February 2019, 10:41
- Patriarch of Georgia concerned about situation in Ukrainian Orthodox Christianity 21 February 2019, 10:03
- Russian Investigative Committee denies reports of Jehovah's Witnesses members' torture in Surgut 20 February 2019, 16:08
- Crimean leader denies forced eviction of OCU church in Simferopol 20 February 2019, 10:09
- Russian Orthodox Church demands freedom of movement for Ukrainian Orthodox Church priest held in Donbass 20 February 2019, 10:04
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church sees no legal grounds for its shutdown 19 February 2019, 18:50
- Ukraine's accusations about Moscow vandalizing churches stupid - Russian Orthodox Church 19 February 2019, 17:24
- UOC Metropolitan held in Donbass on suspicion of separatism (updated) 18 February 2019, 17:45
- UOC bishop draws int'l organizations' attention to violation of believers' rights in Ukraine 18 February 2019, 15:49
- SBU head Gritsak accuses Russia of playing 'religious card' in Ukraine for interference in electoral process 18 February 2019, 15:47
- Court can stop religious organization's activity if it refuses renaming - Ukraine's Culture Ministry 18 February 2019, 11:47
- UOC calls on Ukrainian authorities not to create artificial obstacles in church life 18 February 2019, 11:20
- Jehovah's Witnesses group shut down in Khanty-Mansiysk District 15 February 2019, 22:17
- Ukraine annuls Bishop Gedeon's passport 15 February 2019, 22:14
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's Bishop Gedeon deported from Ukraine over his appeal to U.S. Congress - Russian Orthodox Church 14 February 2019, 16:40
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church bishop stopped at Kiev airport deported to U.S. 14 February 2019, 16:30
- No grounds so far to reconsider stance on Jehovah's Witnesses - Russian Justice Ministry 14 February 2019, 12:17
- Russian courts' ban on Jehovah's Witnesses founded - Justice Ministry 13 February 2019, 11:53
- Russian Orthodox Church's Asian exarch assumes office created in response to Constantinople's actions 13 February 2019, 11:46
- OCU bishop's visit exposes weakness of Patriarch Bartholomew's positions - Russian Orthodox Church 13 February 2019, 11:41
- Senior Athos clergy decline photo-op with new Ukrainian church bishop 13 February 2019, 11:35
- Jehovah's Witnesses not persecuted for belief, penalized for illegal activity - Lebedev 12 February 2019, 15:44
- Revision of Jehovah's Witnesses case possible in event of ECHR's decision - Lebedev 12 February 2019, 15:41