11 March 2008, 17:47
Listing sins is not characteristic of Orthodoxy - the Moscow Patriarchate
Moscow, March 11, Interfax – The Russian Church doubts the necessity to list sins and notes it’s not characteristic of Orthodox religious tradition.
“Orthodoxy has spiritual, theological and pastoral attitude to sin that doesn’t require any strict arrangement or regulation. Are the lists indeed necessary?” the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations secretary for inter-Christian affairs Fr. Igor Vyzhanov told Interfax-Religion on Tuesday.
Thus he reacted on the new Vatican’s list of “traditional” mortal sins updated with seven transgressions to keep hip with the epoch of globalization: genetic modification, carrying out experiments on humans, polluting the environment, causing social injustice, causing poverty, becoming obscenely wealthy and taking drugs.
Fr. Igor noted that “Western Christianity is more inclined to classify even spiritual things, to file and arrange everything.”
“Eastern Christianity isn’t used to rigorous system of spiritual notions. No doubt, Orthodox religious practice names and finds proper place for each sin, but is usually relates to a concrete human soul with its various shades and transitions, it’s hardly possible to list it,” the interviewee of the agency said.
However, he further said, it didn’t mean Orthodoxy was indifferent to political and social realities, “nothing’s near so.” “As for social and political problems, we should keep in mind that concrete people who make a their moral choice constitute society and state,” the priest said.
Any sin is “neither social nor political notion, it’s a spiritual event, when a person contradicts God’s will breaking His commandments,” Fr. Igor concluded.
- Liberalism not useful for Russians - Russian Orthodox Church's rep 18 October 2019, 18:55
- Ukraine's chief rabbi demands that perpetrators, organizers of anti-Semitic provocation in Kiev be brought to justice 18 October 2019, 15:56
- Russian parish in Miami goes over to Constantinople Patriarchate 18 October 2019, 15:28
- Patriarch Kirill compares abortion practice to pagan sacrifices 18 October 2019, 15:26
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Russians to support ROC on situation with division in global Orthodoxy 18 October 2019, 15:22
- Russian Orthodox Church will not bless pilgrimages to Greek dioceses supporting new church of Ukraine 17 October 2019, 18:26
- Synod authorizes Patriarch Kirill to stop mentioning head of Greek Orthodox Church if it associates itself with OCU 17 October 2019, 17:36
- Traditional moral values, democracy can coexist - Patriarch Kirill 14 October 2019, 20:22
- Patriarch Kirill could visit Korean Peninsula next June 14 October 2019, 20:09
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia are persecuted for extremism, not faith 30 September 2019, 13:57