24 March 2008, 17:00
Moscow branch of the Anti-Defamation League accuses Mufti Ashirov of outdated anti-Semitism
Moscow, March 24, Interfax - Co-chairman of the Russian Muftis Council Nafigullah Ashirov’s statement where he compared “Zionism to fascism” is anti-Semitic, chairman of the Anti-Defamation League’s Moscow branch Alexander Axelrod believes.
“I wonder that such high-ranking staff members of the Russian Council of Muftis as Nafigullah Ashirov voice so outdated anti-Semitic ideas,” Axelrod told Interfax-Religion on Monday.
He is perplexed that “there are intolerant people among religious leaders.”
The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia (FJCR) has recently announced it would suspend relations with the Russian Council of Muftis as it did not react to the Ashirov’s statement. The Council of Muftis replied with a statement saying it didn’t receive any official documents from the FJCR on the matter.
Besides, the statement cited Ashirov’s comment: “If FJCR, which positions itself as a Russian organization, sees itself as part of Zionism, then certainly the announcement by this organization about suspension of relations with the Council of Muftis is quite understandable."
“And why the FJCR should support Wahhabism? The FJCR supports Russia’s multireligious basis, principle of tolerance and mutual respect between religions. While the Council of Muftis acts in such multicultural a country and opposes itself to the official state course aimed at preserving international and interreligious peace,” Axelrod said.
He noted that “the world’s extreme radicals” shared this position and also compared Zionism to fascism. The interviewee of the agency appealed to mathematics and urged to “chip off all extreme values and take into account the rest.”
“Life is almost similar to maths,” the Anti-Defamation League representative said.
- "Innovative" church with a dome in the form of an Old Russian helmet may appear in Moscow Region 07 August 2020, 18:11
- Zelensky confirms the right of the UOC to use the Kiev Lavra of the Caves 07 August 2020, 17:57
- Teenage girl dies in Sredneuralsky Convent in Russia's Ural region 07 August 2020, 11:51
- Man who attacked priests with knife in Moscow church gets 1.5 years in penal colony 06 August 2020, 15:39
- Ideologues of destructive religious movements become active in Kazakhstan during quarantine 06 August 2020, 15:14
- Hegumeness of Sredneuralsky Convent calls on followers of schismatic schema-monk Sergy to come to their senses 03 August 2020, 16:52
- Ways to bypass coronavirus-related entry ban for pilgrimage to Ukraine being advertised in Israel 03 August 2020, 14:01
- Top Russian Orthodox priest speaks out against contraception 03 August 2020, 13:40
- Patriarch Kirill says there is not a drop of truth in rumors about his wealth 03 August 2020, 11:56
- Christianization of Rus was the main revolution in Russian history - Patriarch Kirill 28 July 2020, 20:26
- Poroshenko 'proud' of tomos criminal case against him 28 July 2020, 18:49
- Half of Georgian residents agree that faith helps protect against coronavirus - poll 28 July 2020, 16:54
- Russian Foreign Ministry sends notes of protest to Western states' embassies over LGBT flags hoisted on their buildings 28 July 2020, 14:04
- Kyrgyz Muslim board cancels Eid al-Adha collective prayers due to Covid-19 28 July 2020, 12:08
- Russian Orthodox Church calls for learning lessons from Hagia Sophia's transformation into mosque, Nantes Cathedral arson 27 July 2020, 17:00
- About three billion rubles donated annually for construction of Orthodox churches in Moscow 27 July 2020, 15:20
- Russian Church calls female circumcision barbaric 27 July 2020, 10:18
- Russian metropolitan is ready to become a volunteer for a coronavirus vaccine trial 27 July 2020, 10:15
- Patriarch Kirill obliges mother superior of a Moscow monastery to sell her luxury Mercedes 27 July 2020, 10:07
- Ukraine proposes to introduce fine for promoting homosexuality 24 July 2020, 19:43
- Former schema-hegumen not planning to leave Sredneuralsky Convent 24 July 2020, 19:38
- Patriarch Kirill approves decision of Yekaterinburg Diocese's court to defrock monk Sergy (Romanov) 24 July 2020, 11:25
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Armenia, Azerbaijan to have dialogue 24 July 2020, 10:57
- Fourteen nuns leave Sredneuralsky Convent taken over by former schema-hegumen 23 July 2020, 18:08
- FSB detains over 20 Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan terrorists in Moscow, Novosibirsk, Krasnoyarsk Territory 23 July 2020, 15:22
- Putin, Greek PM discuss situation surrounding Hagia Sofia Cathedral in Istanbul 23 July 2020, 10:18
- Charter flight with Chassids onboard arrived at Transcarpathia 22 July 2020, 17:13
- Residents of Altai are outraged with the tourists who hook medical masks on the trees "for ghosts" 22 July 2020, 16:32
- Yakutian 'shaman' Gabyshev discharged from mental hospital 22 July 2020, 14:26
- Construction of main Olympic team church has started in the south-west Moscow 20 July 2020, 18:19