24 March 2008, 17:00
Moscow branch of the Anti-Defamation League accuses Mufti Ashirov of outdated anti-Semitism
Moscow, March 24, Interfax - Co-chairman of the Russian Muftis Council Nafigullah Ashirov’s statement where he compared “Zionism to fascism” is anti-Semitic, chairman of the Anti-Defamation League’s Moscow branch Alexander Axelrod believes.
“I wonder that such high-ranking staff members of the Russian Council of Muftis as Nafigullah Ashirov voice so outdated anti-Semitic ideas,” Axelrod told Interfax-Religion on Monday.
He is perplexed that “there are intolerant people among religious leaders.”
The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia (FJCR) has recently announced it would suspend relations with the Russian Council of Muftis as it did not react to the Ashirov’s statement. The Council of Muftis replied with a statement saying it didn’t receive any official documents from the FJCR on the matter.
Besides, the statement cited Ashirov’s comment: “If FJCR, which positions itself as a Russian organization, sees itself as part of Zionism, then certainly the announcement by this organization about suspension of relations with the Council of Muftis is quite understandable."
“And why the FJCR should support Wahhabism? The FJCR supports Russia’s multireligious basis, principle of tolerance and mutual respect between religions. While the Council of Muftis acts in such multicultural a country and opposes itself to the official state course aimed at preserving international and interreligious peace,” Axelrod said.
He noted that “the world’s extreme radicals” shared this position and also compared Zionism to fascism. The interviewee of the agency appealed to mathematics and urged to “chip off all extreme values and take into account the rest.”
“Life is almost similar to maths,” the Anti-Defamation League representative said.
- Patriarch Kirill to cease liturgical commemoration of Patriarch of Alexandria - Moscow Patriarchate spokesman 08 November 2019, 17:41
- Jihadists prepare lone terrorists in the social networks - FSB chief 07 November 2019, 18:40
- Latvian Orthodox Church denies rumors about transition to Constantinople jurisdiction 07 November 2019, 14:54
- The synagogue near Moscow wins international award 07 November 2019, 14:22
- Lavrov blames U.S. for split of the Orthodox world 06 November 2019, 16:57
- The Russian Orthodox Church is responsible for the destiny of Orthodoxy all around the world 06 November 2019, 11:42
- Patriarch Kirill says global Orthodoxy will overcome schism 06 November 2019, 11:39
- Relations between Russian Orthodox Church, Russian Archdiocese abroad not based on submission - Metropolitan Jean 06 November 2019, 11:37
- Head of Russian parishes in Europe believes the West has great missionary potential 06 November 2019, 11:35
- Leader of Russian parishes in Europe expects new "Russian Exarchate" communities to join Russian Orthodox Church 05 November 2019, 19:50
- Sentence for leader of Tomsk Jehovah's Witnesses consistent with current Russian law - Peskov 05 November 2019, 16:13
- Radical Islamist detained on suspicion of plotting terror attack in Moscow 05 November 2019, 13:25
- Patriarch Kirill stopped mentioning head of Greek Church during religious service 03 November 2019, 11:32
- Patriarch Kirill gives Archbishop Jean document reuniting Archdiocese of Russian Churches in W. Europe with Moscow Patriarchate 03 November 2019, 11:27
- Metropolitan Hilarion says his meeting with Pompeo foiled by Russian Orthodox Church opponents 02 November 2019, 18:49
- Russian Orthodox Church to stop communion with head of Greek Church 02 November 2019, 18:46
- Patriarch Kirill signs document reuniting Western Europe archdiocese with Russian Orthodox Church 01 November 2019, 18:37
- Federation of Jewish Communities president calls sentence on Israeli traveler caught with hashish in Russia excessive 31 October 2019, 11:20
- Putin concerned about Christians' mass exodus from Middle East 31 October 2019, 10:00
- Armenian Church calls U.S. congressmen's recognition of Armenian genocide important for restoration of historical justice 30 October 2019, 15:35
- Russian Church hopes no one else will recognize OCU after Greek Church 30 October 2019, 15:27
- Putin plans to meet with heads of Mideast Christian Churches in Budapest 30 October 2019, 14:06
- Greek Orthodox Church de facto recognizes OCU, Ukrainian Orthodox Church calls it 'backstabbing' 30 October 2019, 12:52
- CSTO fears Islamists who fled from Kurdish custody might migrate to Central Asia 30 October 2019, 11:42
- Georgian Patriarchate denies preparations for Catholicos-Patriarch Ilia II's resignation 30 October 2019, 11:01
- Russian Orthodox Church warning of inevitable breakup with Greek bishops over OCU recognition 30 October 2019, 11:00
- Eight communities of Old Believers granted Russian citizenship, planning to move from Brazil, U.S. to Primorye 29 October 2019, 10:49
- Estonian conservatives urge authorities to deprive LGBT of state financing 29 October 2019, 10:22
- The Russian Church suggests making the Bases of Family principal school subject from 1st to 11th grade 29 October 2019, 10:05
- The Russian Orthodox Church suggests making T-shirts with Bible quotes 28 October 2019, 17:47