26 March 2008, 14:51
The Moscow Patriarchate objects to media’s unscrupulous coverage of Orthodox-Catholic theme
Moscow, March 26, Interfax – The Russian Orthodox Church called journalists to be scrupulous when covering religious life in Russia.
Thus the Church reacted on the recent report on Easter mess in the Moscow Catholic cathedral when 35 people were baptized. Its author claimed the Moscow Patriarchate’s representative had attended the sacrament and cited a Catholic nun as saying “We are very pleased that the Russian Orthodox representative was sympathetic and didn’t object to the baptism of Russians.”
The mentioned Orthodox priest has criticized the way his visit to the Catholic cathedral was reported. It was the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations secretary for inter-Christian affairs Fr. Igor Vyzhanov.
He told Interfax-Religion that he considered “the presentation unfair.”
“In spite of the author’s claims I didn’t greet the newly baptized, it was just a welcome address to everyone present and among other things I mentioned Christ’s presence in life of every Christian. The act of baptism wasn’t specially emphasized,” Fr. Igor said.
He stressed that baptism was carried out in the Moscow Catholic cathedral every Easter.
“Baptized are adults, some of them are foreigners who came to Russia, so the theme of their conversion and proselytism (converting to another confession – IF) is hardly actual in this case. Besides I didn’t express any sympathy or my attitude to this baptism,” the interviewee of the agency said.
He further said the Russian Church could hardly be “sympathetic” when people baptized in Orthodoxy were converted to Catholicism. “Surely, it’s their private business, but we don’t approve of such steps. I don’t know why a Catholic nun got such an impression,” he said.
The Russian Church’s representative is convinced that “such quotations falsifying real events and such way of presentation are unacceptable, especially in so subtle and responsible questions as relations between Catholics and Orthodox in Russia.”
“I am perplexed that on the basis of the mentioned report journalists concluded that the Russian Church’s representative approves of proselytism,” Fr. Igor said and urged mass media “to observe professional ethics.”
- Patriarch Kirill calls on believers to refrain from visiting churches amid coronavirus pandemic 29 March 2020, 20:09
- Opera singer Svetlana Kasyan hospitalized with coronavirus 28 March 2020, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the end of pandemic 28 March 2020, 17:58
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia will give Pesach food sets to all parishioners 28 March 2020, 17:55
- Case of leader of Aum Shinrikyo group in Russia sent to prosecutor 26 March 2020, 19:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't plan to cancel Easter processions 26 March 2020, 16:25
- Russian Orthodox Church shows understanding of Sobyanin's advice not to attend service but says churches will stay open 26 March 2020, 15:08
- Sobyanin asks Muscovites not to visit religious sites 26 March 2020, 10:49
- Ukrainian monasteries will assign premises for Covid-19 patients 25 March 2020, 19:24
- FJCR closes all its synagogues in Russia 25 March 2020, 15:49
- Monastery south of Moscow thrown away dozens of dogs, police was told they miraculously flew away 24 March 2020, 17:40
- Lukashenko on coronavirus: If we get through until Orthodox Easter, we'll live 24 March 2020, 14:40
- Kyrgyz missionary contracts Covid-19 in Pakistan - Kyrgyz Foreign Ministry 23 March 2020, 14:40
- Georgian churches to let in max. 10 people in state of emergency - premier 23 March 2020, 12:29
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia's council postponed due to coronavirus 20 March 2020, 19:52
- Rabbi beaten to death in Dagestan 20 March 2020, 19:12
- Friday prayers cancelled in Moscow's mosques 20 March 2020, 13:33
- Tajikistan lifts ban on joint prayers in mosques 19 March 2020, 19:02
- Russian Orthodox Church does not exclude usage of plastic spoons for Communion 18 March 2020, 16:43
- Chief rabbi of Russia closes his synagogue 18 March 2020, 14:12
- Russian Synod orders increased sanitary measures at all dioceses with coronavirus 18 March 2020, 10:40
- Cathedral of Christ the Savior receives bomb threat on Tue 18 March 2020, 10:38
- Russian Church introduces exceptional measures for coronavirus prevention 17 March 2020, 19:00
- Leader of Pentecostals considers coronavirus a sign of coming Apocalypse 17 March 2020, 14:46
- Moscow's stance on Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem deals with reinstatement of Russia's property rights - Russian Embassy in Israel 17 March 2020, 11:12
- Rectors of Moscow churches will help elderly parishioners to buy and deliver food to their homes 17 March 2020, 11:08
- Russian Orthodox Church won't abolish liturgies even if coronavirus spreads 17 March 2020, 11:05
- Russian Church urges not to panic because of coronavirus 17 March 2020, 11:03
- Moldova closes churches 13 March 2020, 19:56
- Russian Jews reject idea that coronavirus sign of world ending 13 March 2020, 16:22