17 October 2005, 15:05
Russian Orthodox Church hierarchs see problems in the system of electronic identification of citizens in the countries of former USSR
Moscow, October 17, Interfax - The Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church addressed the authorities of the CIS and Baltic countries with an appeal to treat the problem of changing over to the system of electronic identification of citizens tactfully.
‘There is nothing sinful in using the latest technical achievements, including electronic ones, to keep records of the citizens. However, along with certain technical advantages, the development of electronic means of identification of individuals conceals many dangers’, - the address of the Synod circulated Monday says.
In particular, the hierarchs think that ‘dependence of an individual on the unavoidable technical failures, errors and negligence of personnel or intervention of conspirators is increasing’.
Also, a possibility of centralized gathering of information about private life of the citizens and their convictions is not excluded, - the Synod thinks and warns that ‘this imperils the rights and freedom of persons and makes total control over human life possible’.
These fears have been voiced many times by the believers. Therefore, members of the Synod expressed certain wishes to alleviate the concern of Orthodox Christians.
For instance, the hierarchs indicated the danger of gathering and keeping information about private life of people, in particular about their religious and political choice, health, contacts, travels, etc.
Besides, the document says, ‘all people must know what kind of information their ‘electronic dossiers’ contain and have an opportunity to delete obsolete information’.
The Holy Synod also considers important to work out electronic system of registration openly and under public control and to take measures to protect personal information and to increase liability for its illegal use.
‘The items of personal identification should not harm peoples’ health, humiliate their honor and dignity. Certain kinds of such items that could be implanted in human body are unacceptable’, the address reads.
The hierarchs also think that people should not be given certain code instead of their names in registration systems. ‘Like passport number, the registration numbers can be applied to document or record in a data base rather than to a person’, the document notes.
The Synod considers an alternative for those who refuse to participate in a new identification system for different reasons the most principal thing. It is necessary not to make these people marginals’.
The Synod called upon Orthodox Christians to remember that ‘taking or not taking of the new documents including those with electronic information on natural characteristics of human body should not be a reason for mutual judgement among Christians, for sowing discord and schism in the Church’.
- Lavrov meets with Orthodox monastery abbess in Guatemala 27 March 2015, 10:46
- Pilot Savchenko’s files contain information about torturing a priest 26 March 2015, 19:25
- Kolomoisky's resignation is the sign of Ukraine's growing dependence on the West, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 26 March 2015, 18:26
- Russians trained by ISIL may be used against home country 26 March 2015, 15:08
- Kyrgyzstan outlaws Islamic State 25 March 2015, 15:36
- Chechen leader, Jordanian king discuss fight against IS 25 March 2015, 10:00
- Moscow Patriarchate priest assaulted in west Ukraine 24 March 2015, 10:00
- Ukrainians trust Church the most - poll 23 March 2015, 17:22
- Over 5,000 mercenaries from CIS fight on ISIS side - expert 23 March 2015, 16:15
- Schoolchildren from Turkey, Italy, Egypt to discuss fight against religious extremism in St. Petersburg 23 March 2015, 12:57
- Uzbekistan worried about ISIL activity near its borders 23 March 2015, 12:19
- Patriarch Kirill awards Lavrov 23 March 2015, 11:28
- Chubais doubts Nemtsov murder motivated by religious hatred 23 March 2015, 10:15
- IS recruiters targeting North Caucasus students - envoy Melikov 23 March 2015, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about legalization of same-sex "marriage", abortion issue, and secularism in Europe 20 March 2015, 17:35
- The Russian Church conveys twenty five tones of humanitarian help to Donbass residents 20 March 2015, 14:41
- Another Moscow Patriarchate church seized in Ukraine 20 March 2015, 10:00
- Leader of women's wing of Hizb ut-Tahrir detained, arms cache discovered in south Kyrgyzstan 19 March 2015, 10:02
- Head of the Russian State Archive suggests to exhume remains of the tzar family to examine them again 18 March 2015, 16:28
- Russian Central Muslim Board urges artists to be more delicate about believers' feelings 16 March 2015, 14:57
- Russia is urged to revive Christianity in Europe - Patriarch Kirill 16 March 2015, 14:21
- Fire in Novodevichy Convent bell tower did not damage building 16 March 2015, 13:42
- Tannhauser opera staged in Novosibirsk desecrates Christian symbols - Mufti of Moscow 13 March 2015, 18:44
- Patriarch Kirill tried the role of a schoolboy at the Moscow Region Gymnasium 13 March 2015, 17:14
- Fire in bell tower of Nizhny Novgorod cathedral extinguished 12 March 2015, 17:42
- Church to help mortgage debtors settle their problems and asks authorities not to leave them in the lurch 12 March 2015, 16:53
- Russia to import halal meat to Arab countries 12 March 2015, 13:25
- Alexander Nevsky Cathedral burning in Nizhny Novgorod 12 March 2015, 12:54
- Famous Uzbek Islamic theologian dies in gym 12 March 2015, 10:26
- Court drops case against Novosibirsk opera theater director 12 March 2015, 10:07