17 October 2005, 15:05
Russian Orthodox Church hierarchs see problems in the system of electronic identification of citizens in the countries of former USSR
Moscow, October 17, Interfax - The Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church addressed the authorities of the CIS and Baltic countries with an appeal to treat the problem of changing over to the system of electronic identification of citizens tactfully.
‘There is nothing sinful in using the latest technical achievements, including electronic ones, to keep records of the citizens. However, along with certain technical advantages, the development of electronic means of identification of individuals conceals many dangers’, - the address of the Synod circulated Monday says.
In particular, the hierarchs think that ‘dependence of an individual on the unavoidable technical failures, errors and negligence of personnel or intervention of conspirators is increasing’.
Also, a possibility of centralized gathering of information about private life of the citizens and their convictions is not excluded, - the Synod thinks and warns that ‘this imperils the rights and freedom of persons and makes total control over human life possible’.
These fears have been voiced many times by the believers. Therefore, members of the Synod expressed certain wishes to alleviate the concern of Orthodox Christians.
For instance, the hierarchs indicated the danger of gathering and keeping information about private life of people, in particular about their religious and political choice, health, contacts, travels, etc.
Besides, the document says, ‘all people must know what kind of information their ‘electronic dossiers’ contain and have an opportunity to delete obsolete information’.
The Holy Synod also considers important to work out electronic system of registration openly and under public control and to take measures to protect personal information and to increase liability for its illegal use.
‘The items of personal identification should not harm peoples’ health, humiliate their honor and dignity. Certain kinds of such items that could be implanted in human body are unacceptable’, the address reads.
The hierarchs also think that people should not be given certain code instead of their names in registration systems. ‘Like passport number, the registration numbers can be applied to document or record in a data base rather than to a person’, the document notes.
The Synod considers an alternative for those who refuse to participate in a new identification system for different reasons the most principal thing. It is necessary not to make these people marginals’.
The Synod called upon Orthodox Christians to remember that ‘taking or not taking of the new documents including those with electronic information on natural characteristics of human body should not be a reason for mutual judgement among Christians, for sowing discord and schism in the Church’.
- Leader of Christian State Kalinin may be prosecuted for fomenting hostility - police source 20 September 2017, 18:29
- Putin congratulates Jews on Jewish New Year 20 September 2017, 18:26
- Putin expects that Jewish community will promote religious tolerance in Russia 20 September 2017, 15:57
- Three people suspected of setting fire to cars outside office of Matilda director's lawyer detained 20 September 2017, 14:21
- Kazakhstan plans to set up own school of Islamic studies 19 September 2017, 10:12
- Blogger Sokolovsky's lawyer contests sentence in Sverdlovsk region court 18 September 2017, 14:15
- Navalny's volunteer gets 2 years for religious affiliation 18 September 2017, 14:13
- Kadyrov publishes address by Chechen man imprisoned in Iraq calling on Muslims not to join ISIL 18 September 2017, 11:29
- Turkish terrorists lived in house of Georgian patriarch for several months - Rustavi 2 18 September 2017, 10:00
- Tajikistan, Saudi Arabia decide to cooperate to promote tolerance, counterterrorism 15 September 2017, 11:54
- Russian police ready to curb provocations, ensure security of Matilda film viewers 14 September 2017, 17:21
- Umayyad Mosque in Syria's Aleppo to be restored with Kadyrov Fund money 13 September 2017, 11:52
- FJCR building in suspected Molotov cocktail attack 13 September 2017, 10:00
- Jehovah's Witnesses ask Supreme Court to reverse ruling declaring them extremists 12 September 2017, 16:55
- Victims of the 9/11 terrorist attacks commemorated in Moscow 12 September 2017, 12:04
- No more need for rallies supporting Myanmar Muslims – Kadyrov 11 September 2017, 10:33
- Over 100 people rallying in support for Myanmar's Muslims detained on Palace Square in St. Petersburg 11 September 2017, 10:06
- Erdogan urges Islamic countries to show determination in resolving Myanmar conflict 11 September 2017, 10:00
- Canada should be asked about reports on plans to take gays from Chechnya - Russian Foreign Ministry 08 September 2017, 13:48
- Pressure on Myanmar leadership only to escalate tensions - Russian Foreign Ministry 08 September 2017, 12:17
- Russian Orthodox Church warns Ukrainian president against meddling in Church's internal affairs 07 September 2017, 18:15
- Catholicos of All Armenians heading for Moscow to take part in Karabakh meeting 07 September 2017, 17:00
- Organizer of picket in defense of Rohingya offers to meet Myanmar ambassador to Russia 07 September 2017, 15:20
- Ukraine has right to have autonomous church – Poroshenko 07 September 2017, 12:08
- Moscow authorities deny authorization to picket near Myanmar embassy 07 September 2017, 12:06
- First Turkish aid to Myanmar's Rohingya Muslims to be delivered Thursday - Turkish Red Crescent head 06 September 2017, 19:08
- Tbilisi court sentences priest found guilty of trying to kill patriarch's secretary to 9 years 05 September 2017, 18:17
- Putin against any violence in Myanmar, does not see Kadyrov's remarks as oppositional, asks everyone to calm down 05 September 2017, 10:41
- Russian, Egyptian presidents concerned about situation in Myanmar – Peskov 04 September 2017, 18:56
- Mufti Gainutdin calls on Muslims to participate only in authorized actions following events in Myanmar 04 September 2017, 18:53