17 October 2005, 15:05
Russian Orthodox Church hierarchs see problems in the system of electronic identification of citizens in the countries of former USSR
Moscow, October 17, Interfax - The Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church addressed the authorities of the CIS and Baltic countries with an appeal to treat the problem of changing over to the system of electronic identification of citizens tactfully.
‘There is nothing sinful in using the latest technical achievements, including electronic ones, to keep records of the citizens. However, along with certain technical advantages, the development of electronic means of identification of individuals conceals many dangers’, - the address of the Synod circulated Monday says.
In particular, the hierarchs think that ‘dependence of an individual on the unavoidable technical failures, errors and negligence of personnel or intervention of conspirators is increasing’.
Also, a possibility of centralized gathering of information about private life of the citizens and their convictions is not excluded, - the Synod thinks and warns that ‘this imperils the rights and freedom of persons and makes total control over human life possible’.
These fears have been voiced many times by the believers. Therefore, members of the Synod expressed certain wishes to alleviate the concern of Orthodox Christians.
For instance, the hierarchs indicated the danger of gathering and keeping information about private life of people, in particular about their religious and political choice, health, contacts, travels, etc.
Besides, the document says, ‘all people must know what kind of information their ‘electronic dossiers’ contain and have an opportunity to delete obsolete information’.
The Holy Synod also considers important to work out electronic system of registration openly and under public control and to take measures to protect personal information and to increase liability for its illegal use.
‘The items of personal identification should not harm peoples’ health, humiliate their honor and dignity. Certain kinds of such items that could be implanted in human body are unacceptable’, the address reads.
The hierarchs also think that people should not be given certain code instead of their names in registration systems. ‘Like passport number, the registration numbers can be applied to document or record in a data base rather than to a person’, the document notes.
The Synod considers an alternative for those who refuse to participate in a new identification system for different reasons the most principal thing. It is necessary not to make these people marginals’.
The Synod called upon Orthodox Christians to remember that ‘taking or not taking of the new documents including those with electronic information on natural characteristics of human body should not be a reason for mutual judgement among Christians, for sowing discord and schism in the Church’.
- Ukrainian Army shells Donetsk monastery 18 September 2014, 16:53
- Russia and Vatican to hold art exhibition on Biblical themes 18 September 2014, 10:10
- Sts Martha and Mary Convent in Moscow decorated with a Japanese symbol 18 September 2014, 10:01
- Released Lugansk priest claims pilot Savchenko suggested to divide them to organs 17 September 2014, 10:22
- Ukrainian bishop believes the country's authorities Satanic 16 September 2014, 12:15
- Two Hizb ut-Tahrir activists detained in Kyrgyzstan 16 September 2014, 11:42
- War against Islamic State promises benefit to Russia - religious expert 16 September 2014, 11:33
- The Ukrainian church official accuses the country's authorities in eliminating their own people 15 September 2014, 16:28
- Russian Foreign Ministry calls a "mockery of common sense" discharge of the Femen activists for their action in Notre Dame de Paris 15 September 2014, 14:22
- Supporters of so-called Kiev Patriarchate attempt to take over church near Kiev 15 September 2014, 11:53
- Three Tajik Islamists sentenced to imprisonment in Khabarovsk Territory 15 September 2014, 10:50
- Rabbi Kogan urges to respond to Western sanctions with a baby boom 12 September 2014, 11:04
- Rabbi Lazar opens a hockey match between renowned sportsmen and the Jewish community team 12 September 2014, 10:20
- Greek-Catholic priest urges to eliminate militiamen 11 September 2014, 16:40
- Putin lights candles for "defenders of Novorossiya" in Moscow church 11 September 2014, 13:44
- Austrian MP condemns USA in attempts to blow up traditional European values 11 September 2014, 13:28
- ISIS has 100,000 fighters, including Western, Russian citizens - expert 10 September 2014, 12:51
- U.S. report on religious freedom in Uzbekistan biased - Tashkent 09 September 2014, 14:51
- Idea of Russian World not means of enslaving Ukraine - Patriarch Kirill 08 September 2014, 16:13
- Russia, Ukraine, Belarus linked with invincible spiritual bonds - Patriarch Kirill 08 September 2014, 10:00
- ISIL Islamists threaten not just Russia but to all Europe - Margelov 04 September 2014, 10:01
- Over 200 fake passports seized from Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan in Moscow 04 September 2014, 10:01
- Crimea does not need sexual minorities - Aksyonov 02 September 2014, 17:56
- Russian school in Bethlehem to strengthen Russian-Palestinian ties - Putin 02 September 2014, 10:01
- In order to come to Russia Dalai Lama must quit politics - Lavrov 28 August 2014, 10:13
- Wahhabism supporters use Internet to campaign for extremism - Kadyrov 26 August 2014, 17:47
- Kadyrov asks clergy to resist early marriages in Chechnya 26 August 2014, 14:58
- Yamalo-Nenets authorities deny violations of Muslims' rights at local prison 26 August 2014, 14:57
- Russian social network VK says Islamic State accounts blocked 26 August 2014, 10:05
- Church burns down in Donetsk as shell hits is - diocese 26 August 2014, 10:03