17 October 2005, 15:05
Russian Orthodox Church hierarchs see problems in the system of electronic identification of citizens in the countries of former USSR
Moscow, October 17, Interfax - The Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church addressed the authorities of the CIS and Baltic countries with an appeal to treat the problem of changing over to the system of electronic identification of citizens tactfully.
‘There is nothing sinful in using the latest technical achievements, including electronic ones, to keep records of the citizens. However, along with certain technical advantages, the development of electronic means of identification of individuals conceals many dangers’, - the address of the Synod circulated Monday says.
In particular, the hierarchs think that ‘dependence of an individual on the unavoidable technical failures, errors and negligence of personnel or intervention of conspirators is increasing’.
Also, a possibility of centralized gathering of information about private life of the citizens and their convictions is not excluded, - the Synod thinks and warns that ‘this imperils the rights and freedom of persons and makes total control over human life possible’.
These fears have been voiced many times by the believers. Therefore, members of the Synod expressed certain wishes to alleviate the concern of Orthodox Christians.
For instance, the hierarchs indicated the danger of gathering and keeping information about private life of people, in particular about their religious and political choice, health, contacts, travels, etc.
Besides, the document says, ‘all people must know what kind of information their ‘electronic dossiers’ contain and have an opportunity to delete obsolete information’.
The Holy Synod also considers important to work out electronic system of registration openly and under public control and to take measures to protect personal information and to increase liability for its illegal use.
‘The items of personal identification should not harm peoples’ health, humiliate their honor and dignity. Certain kinds of such items that could be implanted in human body are unacceptable’, the address reads.
The hierarchs also think that people should not be given certain code instead of their names in registration systems. ‘Like passport number, the registration numbers can be applied to document or record in a data base rather than to a person’, the document notes.
The Synod considers an alternative for those who refuse to participate in a new identification system for different reasons the most principal thing. It is necessary not to make these people marginals’.
The Synod called upon Orthodox Christians to remember that ‘taking or not taking of the new documents including those with electronic information on natural characteristics of human body should not be a reason for mutual judgement among Christians, for sowing discord and schism in the Church’.
- Pope's superiority as recognized by Catholics not to affect protocol of his meeting with Patriarch Kirill - organizer 11 February 2016, 17:42
- Catholics of Russia praying for success of meeting between patriarch and pope 11 February 2016, 15:08
- Patriarch Kirill and Pope Francis agree upon joint declaration (updated) 11 February 2016, 15:05
- Russian Foreign Ministry welcomes upcoming meeting between Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis (updated) 11 February 2016, 13:57
- Abkhazia has become the third European country with full ban on abortions 11 February 2016, 11:45
- Meeting of Patriarch Kirill and Pope Francis to continue for three hours 11 February 2016, 10:29
- New film about Griboyedov proves not 'outraged Muslim crowd' killed him, Mikhalkov says 10 February 2016, 19:40
- Russian govt not involved in preparing Patriarch-Pope meeting - spokesman 10 February 2016, 10:03
- Russian and Coptic churches support restoration of air contacts between Russia and Egypt 09 February 2016, 17:48
- Abortion ban law adopted in Abkhazia 09 February 2016, 14:42
- Former Yukos shareholders' attempts to claim title to Paris land plot challenged at court - Russian Embassy 09 February 2016, 10:40
- The Russian Church official considers symbolic that the patriarch meets with the pope 'at a crossroad' 09 February 2016, 10:03
- Church dismisses as "hoax" reports about seizure of church construction site in Paris 08 February 2016, 17:37
- Russian diplomats checking reports of Russia's Paris property seizure in Yukos lawsuit 08 February 2016, 17:17
- Patriarch, pope meeting 'a mutual step halfway' between Russia, Western world – Peskov 08 February 2016, 13:17
- Seven ISIL members preparing terror attacks in Moscow, St. Petersburg detained in Yekaterinburg 08 February 2016, 12:54
- Tajikistan's mutiny participants, leaders of outlawed Islamic Renaissance Party to face court 08 February 2016, 12:44
- Georgian Patriarchate asks to provide security to human rights activist from LGBT community 08 February 2016, 10:03
- Patriarch-pope meeting to benefit Christians in Islamic countries - mufti Tajuddin 08 February 2016, 10:02
- Rabbi Kogan blesses the patriarch-pope meeting 08 February 2016, 10:01
- Delaying patriarch-pope meeting "no longer possible" - Russian Orthodox Church 08 February 2016, 10:00
- Meeting between pope, patriarch of Moscow to mark new stage in relations between two Churches - joint statement 05 February 2016, 20:59
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church criticizes Ukraine's Foreign Ministry 05 February 2016, 17:47
- OSCE mission investigate the situation around the church in Ukrainian village of Ptichya 05 February 2016, 16:46
- Patriarch Kirill goes on tour of Latin America 05 February 2016, 16:38
- Russian Catholics place high hopes on meeting of Pope Francis and Patriarch Kirill 05 February 2016, 15:38
- Pope's possible visit to Russia not being discussed for now - Metropolitan Hilarion 05 February 2016, 15:11
- Patriarch Kirill, pope to meet on Cuba on February 12 (updated) 05 February 2016, 14:40
- Russian Church canonizes Dr. Botkin killed with tsar family 05 February 2016, 10:02
- Every second Russian for Russia's closing up with Islamic world 04 February 2016, 16:16