10 April 2008, 16:46
Alexy II expects UN to ensure access of Orthodox believers to Kosovo
Moscow, April 10, Interfax - Patriarch of Moscow and all Russia Alexy II has voiced the hope that the UN will ensure the rights of Orthodox believers in Kosovo.
"I hope the United Nations will do its best to ensure the access of Orthodox Christians to sacred places in Kosovo and prevent acts of violence against religious sites on that territory," he told UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon at the St. Daniel's Monastery in Moscow on Thursday.
He also hopes that the UN "will protect the Serbian minority of the territory."
The Russian Orthodox Church regrets the failure "to reach consent of UN member countries about Kosovo and Metohija," which resulted in the unilateral declaration of independence, he said. The Moscow Patriarchate supports the Serbian Orthodox Church, "which has declared illegal the independence act and demanded its invalidation," he said.
The patriarch welcomed dialog of religious organizations with the UN and called for regular contacts of the kind.
International organizations, which represent the interests of various states and peoples, "should not be guided exclusively by secular principles," Alexy II said.
"The majority of people are believers, and religion should help form international legal norms and order," he concluded.
- Salekhard administration bans gay pride parade on Polar Circle 20 January 2017, 11:53
- Divers discover a Douglas and three air bombs of World War II when preparing to Epiphany bathing in the Black Sea 20 January 2017, 11:37
- Project of the Moscow Tolerance Center to 2018 World Cup presented in Davos 20 January 2017, 11:05
- Churches belonging to Moscow Patriarchate in Ukraine attacked 13 times over past year 19 January 2017, 15:45
- Arctic Ocean sanctified in northern Yakutia in Epiphany night 19 January 2017, 11:52
- Over 1.8 mln people took part in Epiphany bathing in Russia 19 January 2017, 11:24
- Russian Orthodox Church clergy to sanctify waters of two oceans for Epiphany 18 January 2017, 18:12
- Hajj quota enlarged by more than third for Uzbek Muslims 18 January 2017, 13:07
- Arc containing relics of saints who died for faith under Soviets to be carried across Russia to mark 100th anniversary of October Revolution 18 January 2017, 13:06
- Patriarch Kirill caught cold and won't participate in Epiphany celebrations 17 January 2017, 18:56
- Russian Orthodox Church will actively participate in restoring Syrian shrines 17 January 2017, 15:46
- FJCR outraged by televiewers' vote, who called ISIL supporter "Person of the Week" 16 January 2017, 18:11
- Moscow Patriarchate church in Kiev pelted with Molotov cocktails 16 January 2017, 15:29
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia head to take pilgrimage to Russia on occasion of 100th anniversary of October Revolution 11 January 2017, 16:35
- Abortions banned for one day in the Yaroslavl Region to commemorate the Bethlehem babies 11 January 2017, 15:35
- Patriarch Kirill invited to Syria 09 January 2017, 16:36
- Azerbaijan has no plans to join Islamic military bloc so far 09 January 2017, 14:41
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Hungary 09 January 2017, 10:57
- Putin's Christmas message notes Russian Orthodox Church's role in preserving civil peace, accord 09 January 2017, 10:50
- Lenin should be buried, but the most important is not to inflict harm, the Russian church official believes 06 January 2017, 16:22
- Church will release results of the Yekaterinburg relics expertise by the second quarter of 2017 06 January 2017, 16:20
- Moscow Center of Tolerance carries out international children action to back up migrants 06 January 2017, 15:54
- Rabbi Lazar condemns Soviet past, calls to bury body of Lenin 06 January 2017, 15:53
- Two Israelis suspected of intentionally damaging Jesus on Cross statue in Ukraine's Uman 03 January 2017, 21:30
- The Russian Church suggests fining for abusive language in public places 30 December 2016, 14:44
- Patriarch Kirill believes the word 'celebrations' inappropriate to 100th anniversary of October revolt 30 December 2016, 13:00
- Changes that took place in 2016 withdrew a threat menacing the world - Patriarch Kirill 30 December 2016, 12:24
- Doctors recommend the Georgian Patriarch to go to Germany for treatment, but he refuses 29 December 2016, 19:05
- Ukrainian government promotes interests of sexual minorities in spite of church protests 29 December 2016, 17:14
- Rabbi Lazar makes offer to Putin to set up tolerance centers in other Russian cities along with Moscow 28 December 2016, 18:48