30 April 2008, 15:15
U.S. experts confirm remains found outside Yekaterinburg are Nicholas II's children - Sverdlovsk governor
Yekaterinburg, April 30, Interfax - A U.S. DNA laboratory has confirmed that remains that were recently found outside Yekaterinburg are of the children of Russia's last Emperor Nicholas II's, Sverdlovsk region Governor Eduard Rossel said.
"Now we have found the entire family," Rossel said at a press conference on Wednesday.
It was reported earlier that parts of two human bodies bearing signs of a violent death were found during excavations outside Yekaterinburg in July 2007. Preliminary findings indicated that the remains could have been those of a teenager aged from 10 to 14 and a 20-year-old woman.
It was assumed that the remains could have been those of Prince Alexey, the only son of last Russian Emperor Nicholas II and heir to the throne, and Grand Duchess Maria, Nicholas II's daughter, who were executed outside Yekaterinburg in 1918.
The analysis of the remains was assigned to the Sverdlovsk regional forensic medical expert bureau, a Moscow laboratory, the U.S. Armed Forces DNA Identification Laboratory, and the University of Massachusetts' genetic laboratory.
The experts from the Sverdlovsk bureau concluded preliminarily results based on anatomic and morphological analysis that there was "a high level of probability that the remains are those of Prince Alexey and Grand Duchess Maria."
Human remains found outside Yekaterinburg in July 1991 were later identified as those of Nicholas II, a number of his family members and people from the royal retinue. The remains were buried at the St. Peter and Paul Cathedral in St. Petersburg on July 17, 1998.
- Disgraced Father Sergy planning to hold his own religious procession in Ural region on Royal Days 07 July 2020, 18:49
- Six Muslims detained in Crimea on suspicion of involvement in Hizb ut-Tahrir 07 July 2020, 16:09
- Kremlin not following situation surrounding rebellious Urals cleric Sergy - Peskov 07 July 2020, 14:55
- Court in Sverdlovsk Region fines ex-priest Sergy 90,000 rubles for spreading false information 07 July 2020, 13:52
- Hagia Sophia in Istanbul should remain symbol of interfaith accord - State Duma 07 July 2020, 10:19
- Yekaterinburg metropolitan rebukes rebellious monk Sergy for glorifying Stalin 07 July 2020, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill calls for preserving Hagia Sophia's museum status (updated) 06 July 2020, 15:43
- Kremlin hopes Hagia Sophia's global significance, sacred value to be accounted for in determining its status in Turkey 06 July 2020, 14:03
- Russian Foreign Ministry hopes global significance of Hagia Sophia will be taken into account when determining its status 06 July 2020, 12:48
- Russian Orthodox Church calls Hagia Sophia's transformation into mosque inadmissible 06 July 2020, 10:20
- Putin states need for public monitoring of LGBT propaganda 03 July 2020, 18:27
- Metropolitan Hilarion: Hagia Sophia is heritage of entire mankind 03 July 2020, 18:25
- Russia hasn't restricted, won't restrict rights based on race, sexual orientation - Putin 03 July 2020, 17:51
- Putin comments on LGBT flag flying over U.S. embassy building in Moscow 03 July 2020, 17:46
- Church court defrocks Urals Schema-Hegumen Sergy, who cursed people who closed churches 03 July 2020, 13:09
- All members of the Jewish community in Moscow recovered from coronavirus 03 July 2020, 12:40
- Mufti Tajuddin proposes making Hagia Sophia common prayer-house for Muslims and Christians 03 July 2020, 10:09
- Duma's Tolstoy sees demonstration of LGBT flags on embassy buildings in Moscow as attempt to influence voting on constitutional amendments 02 July 2020, 12:39
- The FJCR president believes other countries to appreciate the importance of amendment about marriage as a union between a man and a woman 02 July 2020, 12:36
- Famous Transfiguration church in Kizhi to resume services after 40 years 30 June 2020, 18:04
- Filaret demands another tomos from Patriarch Bartholomew 29 June 2020, 20:59
- Russian Orthodox Church sees Ural priest's calls against participation in amendments vote as "tragicomic' 29 June 2020, 18:08
- Church court again makes no decision on behavior of Urals priest who cursed people who closed churches 29 June 2020, 10:05
- Russian Jews urges American demonstrators to peaceful dialogue 29 June 2020, 10:00
- Forced treatment of shaman Gabyshev is illegal - Memorial 25 June 2020, 21:17
- Kremlin hopes rainbow flag on U.S. embassy in Moscow drew attention of Russian Foreign Ministry 25 June 2020, 14:54
- Kusturica called Russia's chief military church personification of power, talent and faith 25 June 2020, 12:55
- Jews will never forget heroism of the Soviet Army that stopped Holocaust - FJCR president 25 June 2020, 10:08
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Metropolitan Sofrony dies 23 June 2020, 20:12
- Leader of Tuva Buddhists dies of Covid-19 23 June 2020, 18:26