30 April 2008, 15:15
U.S. experts confirm remains found outside Yekaterinburg are Nicholas II's children - Sverdlovsk governor
Yekaterinburg, April 30, Interfax - A U.S. DNA laboratory has confirmed that remains that were recently found outside Yekaterinburg are of the children of Russia's last Emperor Nicholas II's, Sverdlovsk region Governor Eduard Rossel said.
"Now we have found the entire family," Rossel said at a press conference on Wednesday.
It was reported earlier that parts of two human bodies bearing signs of a violent death were found during excavations outside Yekaterinburg in July 2007. Preliminary findings indicated that the remains could have been those of a teenager aged from 10 to 14 and a 20-year-old woman.
It was assumed that the remains could have been those of Prince Alexey, the only son of last Russian Emperor Nicholas II and heir to the throne, and Grand Duchess Maria, Nicholas II's daughter, who were executed outside Yekaterinburg in 1918.
The analysis of the remains was assigned to the Sverdlovsk regional forensic medical expert bureau, a Moscow laboratory, the U.S. Armed Forces DNA Identification Laboratory, and the University of Massachusetts' genetic laboratory.
The experts from the Sverdlovsk bureau concluded preliminarily results based on anatomic and morphological analysis that there was "a high level of probability that the remains are those of Prince Alexey and Grand Duchess Maria."
Human remains found outside Yekaterinburg in July 1991 were later identified as those of Nicholas II, a number of his family members and people from the royal retinue. The remains were buried at the St. Peter and Paul Cathedral in St. Petersburg on July 17, 1998.
- Russian Catholics don’t believe in islamization of Europe 07 June 2019, 15:30
- Leaders, members of 15 Jehovah's Witnesses cells held in Dagestan 07 June 2019, 10:55
- World will be better if people follow Bible, Torah, Koran - Putin 06 June 2019, 18:01
- Russian Catholics urge not to have illusions about possible pontiff's visit to Moscow 06 June 2019, 17:05
- The Russian Orthodox Church is not ready to welcome the Pope of Rome in Moscow 06 June 2019, 16:04
- Putin to meet with Pope Francis 06 June 2019, 14:34
- Russian Jews pray for “lifting up” the soul of the reposed wife of the Israel’s president 06 June 2019, 11:32
- Russia's Jews present country as example of tolerance for Europe 04 June 2019, 18:48
- Remembrance of Great Patriotic War protects Russia from xenophobia, anti-Semitism - Putin 04 June 2019, 17:48
- Putin attends unveiling of monument to heroes of resistance in concentration camps 04 June 2019, 17:41
- Russian Muslim community plays major role in combating extremist ideology - PM Medvedev 04 June 2019, 11:28
- Putin notes Russian Muslims' contribution to peoples' unity, fight against extremism 04 June 2019, 11:25
- Last Sobibor uprising survivor dies 03 June 2019, 18:17
- Kiev Patriarchate does not exist, never existed - Patriarch Bartholomew 03 June 2019, 14:54
- Constantinople cannot solve complicated religious situation in Ukraine - Russian Orthodox Church 30 May 2019, 19:45
- Putin congratulates Jews on Salvation and Liberation Day 30 May 2019, 19:00
- Protests against construction of churches plotted by outside forces - Russian Orthodox Church 28 May 2019, 18:42
- Church on site of first Russian settlement Fort Ross in U.S. to be restored 28 May 2019, 17:27
- Russian Orthodox Church to open churches in Cyprus, Sweden 28 May 2019, 17:26
- Yekaterinburg residents offer some 50 sites for church construction 27 May 2019, 18:37
- Patriarch Kirill in meeting with Mijatovic asks Council of Europe to control observance of believers' rights in Ukraine 27 May 2019, 18:35
- Churches in Russia to keep being built as long as people need it - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 18:14
- Patriarch Kirill hopes for end to discrimination against Orthodox Christians in Ukraine under new president 27 May 2019, 18:13
- Europe, Russia should turn over page of misunderstanding - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 17:18
- Patriarch Kirill tells secretary general of Council of Europe is concerned about human rights issues 27 May 2019, 14:14
- Putin, Patriarch Kirill discuss matter of plans to build Yekaterinburg church – Peskov 27 May 2019, 13:42
- Metropolitan Kirill compares situation with church construction in Yekaterinburg to tsar's family killing 27 May 2019, 12:31
- Patriarch Kirill sanctifies Church of All Saints in Strasbourg 27 May 2019, 11:27
- Hegumen arrested after stabbing, injuring monk at Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius 24 May 2019, 19:10
- Putin congratulates Patriarch Kirill on name day, suggests he loosen up work schedule 24 May 2019, 17:48