04 May 2008, 11:40
Gay activists plastered mouths, gathered in park in St. Petersburg
St. Petersburg, May 4, Interfax - Sexual minority groups in St. Petersburg gathered for a rally on Saturday to mark the Day of Silence, despite an official ban.
A gay activist could be seen standing in the center of Chernyshevsky Park with his mouth plastered, and another 15 were seated on a bench, also with plastered mouths, an Interfax correspondent reported.
The action brought together more journalists than participants. It is being guarded by about ten loyal policemen.
Coordinator of the Russian LGBT-net of lesbians, gays, bisexuals and transsexuals Igor Petrov told the press that the organizers had applied to the city authorities for a permit to stage a mass Day of Silence action and that they wanted to hand out leaflets in the park urging tolerance.
"The action was banned at the last moment," Petrov said.
- Baptist dissenters hold "illegal religious gatherings" in Uzbekistan – media 18 June 2013, 15:14
- Human rights center of World Russian People's Council asks to recognize Judas and Jesus cartoon as extremist 17 June 2013, 15:07
- Prokhorov opposes homosexuality propaganda ban 17 June 2013, 13:14
- Secret religious schools with kidnapped pupils discovered in Tajikistan 17 June 2013, 12:33
- Patriarch Kirill visits Estonia 15 June 2013, 12:53
- To invite priest to a wedding in "en vogue" in China 14 June 2013, 14:09
- Female painter decorates a church in Volgograd Region on her own 14 June 2013, 14:08
- One of United Russia leaders slams Western criticism of gay propaganda bill 14 June 2013, 10:07
- Man goes on the rampage in Moscow church 14 June 2013, 10:02
- Putin says important to preserve interethnic, interreligious peace in Russia 13 June 2013, 18:02
- Same-sex unions may become European value – Russian MP 13 June 2013, 17:31
- Decision to transfer Schneerson library to Tolerance Center is Solomon's decision - Russia's chief rabbi 13 June 2013, 17:10
- Putin hopes that transferring Schneerson library to Jewish Museum will resolve issue (updated) 13 June 2013, 16:22
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Estonia 13 June 2013, 13:29
- Russia will reject Germany's criticism of homosexuality propaganda bill - Duma deputy 13 June 2013, 10:04
- Russian LGBT leader to sue co-author of bill on fines for homosexual propaganda 13 June 2013, 10:02
- Putin says he, his wife were not married in church 11 June 2013, 20:04
- Bill on fines for homosexual propaganda among minors passes Duma 11 June 2013, 19:55
- Duma passes bill criminalizing insults to religious believer's feelings (updated) 11 June 2013, 17:45
- Head of Muslim Union of Kazakhstan released after seven days 11 June 2013, 17:42
- Most Russians want propaganda of homosexuality to be banned – poll 11 June 2013, 15:47
- OIC to continue working on legitimization of Palestinian state 11 June 2013, 15:43
- HRW urges Russia not to pass bill banning propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations 11 June 2013, 11:56
- Covert Islamic group leader convicted in Uzbekistan 10 June 2013, 16:19
- State Duma to ban adoptions of children by same-sex couples next week 10 June 2013, 14:26
- Anti-clerical rally held in Tomsk 10 June 2013, 10:04
- Monks shouldn't use Internet - Patriarch Kirill 10 June 2013, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill: Russia-Greece relations rest on Orthodoxy 10 June 2013, 10:00
- Patriarch Kirill plans to preside over celebrations of 1,000 years of Russian presence on Mount Athos in 2016 07 June 2013, 14:16
- Patriarch Kirill prays before Vatopedi Monastery sanctuaries on Mount Athos 07 June 2013, 11:28