04 May 2008, 11:40
Gay activists plastered mouths, gathered in park in St. Petersburg
St. Petersburg, May 4, Interfax - Sexual minority groups in St. Petersburg gathered for a rally on Saturday to mark the Day of Silence, despite an official ban.
A gay activist could be seen standing in the center of Chernyshevsky Park with his mouth plastered, and another 15 were seated on a bench, also with plastered mouths, an Interfax correspondent reported.
The action brought together more journalists than participants. It is being guarded by about ten loyal policemen.
Coordinator of the Russian LGBT-net of lesbians, gays, bisexuals and transsexuals Igor Petrov told the press that the organizers had applied to the city authorities for a permit to stage a mass Day of Silence action and that they wanted to hand out leaflets in the park urging tolerance.
"The action was banned at the last moment," Petrov said.
- Politicians stand in way of Orthodox unification in Ukraine - head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church 23 September 2016, 17:46
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes monks for their passion for luxury 22 September 2016, 16:47
- Court prolongs until mid December arrest of MSU student accused of attempt to join ISIL 22 September 2016, 15:28
- Russian chapel consecrated at a Syrian airbase 22 September 2016, 12:03
- Georgia's Orthodox Parents protest against pope visit 21 September 2016, 14:58
- The Russian Church accuses Ukrainian Greek-Catholics of attacks against it 21 September 2016, 13:46
- Russian citizen who received training in ISIL jihadist camps detained in Tatarstan 21 September 2016, 13:43
- Orthodox believers of New York send a container with humanitarian aid to Donbass 21 September 2016, 12:51
- Renowned German political expert believes Christianity is a foundation of European future 21 September 2016, 10:01
- Some 300,000 Russian pilgrims visit Israel in space of year - Patriarch Kirill 20 September 2016, 14:52
- Russian Supreme Court outlaws Aum Shinrikyo 20 September 2016, 12:00
- Azerbaijan counts on efficiency of OIC Contact Group for Karabakh 20 September 2016, 11:49
- Radical Islam present big problem for region – Israel 20 September 2016, 11:15
- Barbie is not likely to pass expertise in EurAsEC countries 19 September 2016, 18:43
- Old icons taken from Russia in wartime conveyed to the Berlin Diocese 19 September 2016, 10:23
- Patriarch Kirill gives the Pope of Rome a particle of St. Seraphim relics 16 September 2016, 11:55
- Russian journalists detained in Kosovo while filming footage about Orthodox churches 16 September 2016, 11:00
- Schismatic priest moves out Donbass refugees from a hospice not far from Kiev 15 September 2016, 18:01
- Putin and Medvedev for preserving archeological artifacts from Crimea where many ancient Greek temples were located 15 September 2016, 17:35
- Schismatics and nationalists seize a church in western Ukraine 15 September 2016, 10:58
- 70% of pregnancies end in abortions in Russia - expert 14 September 2016, 16:32
- Ukrainian Constitutional Court permits public religious services without authorization 14 September 2016, 11:18
- Pope to visit Azerbaijan in early October 14 September 2016, 11:07
- St. Seraphim relics to be conveyed to the International Space Station 14 September 2016, 10:43
- Russian Supreme Court to consider a plaint to ban Aum Shinrikyo 14 September 2016, 10:00
- Moscow Patriarchate's Ukrainian Orthodox Church accuses law enforcement agencies of pressure on its clergy 13 September 2016, 17:57
- Uzbekistan to have Islam Karimov mosque 13 September 2016, 17:13
- Kazakh president signs decree on setting up ministry for religious affairs 13 September 2016, 17:02
- Schismatics destroyed a building of unfinished UOC church 13 September 2016, 12:26
- Holy relics from Vatican to be conveyed to a church in the Nizhny Novgorod Region 12 September 2016, 15:44