04 May 2008, 11:40
Gay activists plastered mouths, gathered in park in St. Petersburg
St. Petersburg, May 4, Interfax - Sexual minority groups in St. Petersburg gathered for a rally on Saturday to mark the Day of Silence, despite an official ban.
A gay activist could be seen standing in the center of Chernyshevsky Park with his mouth plastered, and another 15 were seated on a bench, also with plastered mouths, an Interfax correspondent reported.
The action brought together more journalists than participants. It is being guarded by about ten loyal policemen.
Coordinator of the Russian LGBT-net of lesbians, gays, bisexuals and transsexuals Igor Petrov told the press that the organizers had applied to the city authorities for a permit to stage a mass Day of Silence action and that they wanted to hand out leaflets in the park urging tolerance.
"The action was banned at the last moment," Petrov said.
- Islamist recruiter stands trial in Uzbekistan 28 November 2014, 12:48
- Cossacks to help Moscow police maintain public order in recreation zones, in areas around churches and monasteries 28 November 2014, 10:02
- Kyrgyz extremists use hijab issue to drive wedge between government, Muslims - intelligence agency 28 November 2014, 10:00
- DPR official speaks about 62 churches destroyed 27 November 2014, 17:49
- Metropolitan Kliment believes high speed is disadvantage of the Internet 27 November 2014, 14:59
- Russian Council of Muftis dismisses allegations of terror recruitment at Moscow Mosque 26 November 2014, 16:47
- IS funded by Afghan heroin profits - FSKN 26 November 2014, 15:44
- Hundreds of children to draw their guardian angel in the Moscow Cathedral of Christ the Savior 26 November 2014, 14:27
- Stavropol to host 3rd Forum of World Russian People's Council 26 November 2014, 10:30
- Anti-Semitic inscription appeared on the building of a Moscow center for Torah studies 25 November 2014, 16:42
- CIS-led intl court could investigate Ukraine religious crimes - Russian rights activist 25 November 2014, 15:09
- Tajik Islamists use Moscow as a crossing point between Tajikistan and Syria 25 November 2014, 13:48
- Patriarchal Commission against full ban on physical methods of upbringing children in family 25 November 2014, 12:56
- Russian priest suggests banning Wahhabism, Nazism and aggressive neo-paganism 24 November 2014, 17:46
- Church in the Donetsk Region shelled 24 November 2014, 17:34
- Humanitarian help to restore churches will be conveyed to the DNR 24 November 2014, 12:16
- Russia to invite OSCE to address condition of Christians in Mideast - Lavrov 24 November 2014, 10:08
- Moscow accuses UN mission in ignoring takeovers of churches and threats against priests in eastern Ukraine 24 November 2014, 10:04
- Zvyagintsev's Leviathan wins Golden Frog at Camerimage festival 24 November 2014, 10:03
- Russia, U.S. must melt ice in relationship, overcome global crises - Patriarch Kirill 21 November 2014, 19:02
- At least 50 churches were damaged in military action in Ukraine - Russian expert 21 November 2014, 18:20
- Uniates following UOC hierarchs distanced from memorandum for the Local Church 21 November 2014, 16:03
- Moscow wants Islamic world disagreements resolved - Russian foreign minister 21 November 2014, 12:14
- Putin, patriarch unveil monument to Alexander I outside Kremlin 21 November 2014, 10:02
- Jerusalem synagogue attack extreme, Russia must prevent such crimes - Putin 20 November 2014, 17:53
- DNR soldiers venerate St. George relics 20 November 2014, 14:30
- Patriarch Kirill speaks on divorce statistics 19 November 2014, 15:19
- Orthodox youth should be modern: no dress-codes and 'ethnographic ghetto' is needed 19 November 2014, 13:56
- Patriarch Kirill urges young people not to substitute real communication with virtual 19 November 2014, 13:37
- Patriarch Kirill recommends to take up the cross, not to 'relax and enjoy' 19 November 2014, 12:54