04 May 2008, 11:40
Gay activists plastered mouths, gathered in park in St. Petersburg
St. Petersburg, May 4, Interfax - Sexual minority groups in St. Petersburg gathered for a rally on Saturday to mark the Day of Silence, despite an official ban.
A gay activist could be seen standing in the center of Chernyshevsky Park with his mouth plastered, and another 15 were seated on a bench, also with plastered mouths, an Interfax correspondent reported.
The action brought together more journalists than participants. It is being guarded by about ten loyal policemen.
Coordinator of the Russian LGBT-net of lesbians, gays, bisexuals and transsexuals Igor Petrov told the press that the organizers had applied to the city authorities for a permit to stage a mass Day of Silence action and that they wanted to hand out leaflets in the park urging tolerance.
"The action was banned at the last moment," Petrov said.
- Russia, France need to pool efforts to protect world from dangers of globalism, Islamic fundamentalism - Le Pen (updated) 24 March 2017, 10:55
- Sixty-eight percent of citizens oppose monarchy in Russia - poll 24 March 2017, 09:30
- Rabbi Lazar urges to legalize circumcision in Russia 23 March 2017, 13:14
- Ostriches raised in a Kemerovo church, pheasants will be next 23 March 2017, 10:17
- Church official believes Lenin will be buried sooner or later 22 March 2017, 16:01
- Head of antic god or hero found at the construction site of the Crimean bridge 22 March 2017, 13:59
- Moscow mosque imam Velitov to face trial for public justification of terrorism - lawyer 22 March 2017, 12:33
- Third of Russians count national history from Kievan Rus, its Christianization - poll 22 March 2017, 12:12
- Russian masons stunned by deputy Milonov's accusations 21 March 2017, 19:40
- Putin, Russian chief mufti discuss Muslim community's activity 21 March 2017, 18:23
- Bishop of the Russian Church compares Russia airbase in Syria to a monastery 21 March 2017, 10:55
- The Russian Church will introduce its ecological initiatives to the UN 20 March 2017, 16:16
- Church official calls Stalin "executioner" and supports ban on his perpetuation in Ingushetia 20 March 2017, 14:19
- Rector of a Moscow church awakenes conscience in prostitutes who threatenes him 20 March 2017, 10:51
- Russia preserved thanks to "natural conservatism" of its people - Patriarch Kirill 20 March 2017, 10:08
- Waffen SS veterans' march in Riga glorifies murderers, justifies Nazism - Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia 20 March 2017, 10:00
- Couple in Cherkessk decides what to do with embryos in court 17 March 2017, 18:34
- The Moscow Patriarchate believes Lenin's burial is untimely 17 March 2017, 17:04
- Moldovan President counts on Patriarch Kirill's support in reuniting his country 17 March 2017, 12:36
- FJCR head criticizes ultra-Orthodox Jews who do not work and do not serve in the army 17 March 2017, 10:11
- Putin meets with head of Russian Orthodox Old-Rite Church 17 March 2017, 10:00
- Icon of Crimea heavenly protector to be delivered to the International Space Station 16 March 2017, 11:17
- Kazakhstan's AIFC strives to create favorable environment for Islamic financial institutions 15 March 2017, 13:32
- On the 100th anniversary of the emperor's abdication the patriarch prays for victims of the revolution and civil war 15 March 2017, 13:11
- Russia needs Orthodox monarchy – Crimean head 15 March 2017, 13:07
- ROCOR urges to rid Red Square of Lenin's remains and destroy monuments to him 13 March 2017, 11:07
- Kyrgyz cemeteries to be divided into sectors for various religions groups 13 March 2017, 10:13
- Inclusion of western saints' names on Moscow Patriarchate calendar aims to remind of times of undivided Church - Russian Orthodox Church 13 March 2017, 10:09
- Hungary allotted about €134,000 for restoring three Russian churches and building a new one 10 March 2017, 13:18
- Russian Orthodox Church to celebrate St. Patrick's Day - Synod's decision 10 March 2017, 12:08