04 May 2008, 11:40
Gay activists plastered mouths, gathered in park in St. Petersburg
St. Petersburg, May 4, Interfax - Sexual minority groups in St. Petersburg gathered for a rally on Saturday to mark the Day of Silence, despite an official ban.
A gay activist could be seen standing in the center of Chernyshevsky Park with his mouth plastered, and another 15 were seated on a bench, also with plastered mouths, an Interfax correspondent reported.
The action brought together more journalists than participants. It is being guarded by about ten loyal policemen.
Coordinator of the Russian LGBT-net of lesbians, gays, bisexuals and transsexuals Igor Petrov told the press that the organizers had applied to the city authorities for a permit to stage a mass Day of Silence action and that they wanted to hand out leaflets in the park urging tolerance.
"The action was banned at the last moment," Petrov said.
- Lawyer appeals court ban of Male State 26 October 2021, 16:55
- Lukashenko said it would be un-Christian to refuse to sell electricity to Lithuania and Ukraine 26 October 2021, 15:26
- Scythian gold may be kept at Sophia of Kiev sanctuary 26 October 2021, 15:13
- Russian Church assured that vaccination won't be mandatory for its priests 25 October 2021, 12:00
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls for mandating Covid-19 vaccination for clerics 25 October 2021, 11:58
- Patriarch Kirill calls the Gospel the best consulting for a modern person 25 October 2021, 11:52
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses arrested in Moscow for involving people in activities of extremist organization 25 October 2021, 11:40
- Russian synagogues don't plan to close during upcoming non-working days 22 October 2021, 17:48
- Putin asking Western civilization 'to steer clear of our home' 21 October 2021, 20:33
- Website of Russian Dept for External Church Relations hacked 20 October 2021, 18:07
- The Internet is able to cross out everything that the school gives - Patriarch Kirill 20 October 2021, 10:04
- Five supporters of the caliphate were detained in Karachay-Cherkessia 20 October 2021, 10:00
- School student detained for shooting in Perm Territory shouted that he was guided by the 'God's instructions' 18 October 2021, 12:34
- Patriarch Kirill's meeting with Pope not under preparation yet - Metropolitan Hilarion 18 October 2021, 10:19
- Russian Church Bishops' Council postponed until May 2022 due to coronavirus 15 October 2021, 18:20
- Patriarch Kirill considered the preservation of Russia after the twists and turns of the 20th century a miracle 14 October 2021, 17:29
- War in Nagorno-Karabakh in fall 2020 didn't solve conflict - Catholicos of All Armenians 13 October 2021, 19:21
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Azerbaijan, Armenia to avoid language of hatred 13 October 2021, 19:19
- Patriarch Kirill hopes Armenia, Azerbaijan religious leaders can influence minds of conflicting parties in Karabakh 13 October 2021, 14:16
- Religious summit on Karabakh settlement is on in Moscow 13 October 2021, 13:57
- Taliban govt's recognition to depend on situation surrounding Afghan women's rights – Matviyenko 12 October 2021, 19:22
- Vatican to open embassy in Armenia 12 October 2021, 10:00
- Religious leaders of Armenia, Azerbaijan, Russia to meet in Moscow 11 October 2021, 12:39
- Rabbi Lazar wishes Putin to live up to 120 years 08 October 2021, 15:10
- Court in St. Petersburg fines man for justifying terror attack in New Zealand 08 October 2021, 14:54
- Catholicos-Patriarch of Georgia asks Saakashvili to stop hunger strike 07 October 2021, 19:17
- Twice as many people killed in Babi Yar massacre than named at Nuremberg Trials – Zelensky 07 October 2021, 10:44
- House of Romanov says military's attendance at wedding ceremony in St. Petersburg agreed upon 07 October 2021, 10:00
- Risks of creation of new terrorist caliphates declining worldwide - Russian Security Council 06 October 2021, 18:27
- Office of Iranian Supreme Leader's representative in Baku mosque closed 06 October 2021, 12:21