07 June 2008, 13:09
Russia's victories in sports and Eurovision proves strength and confidence of this country in the world, the Russian Church believes
Moscow, June 7, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church shares collective joy for Russia's recent victories in football, hockey and the Eurovision song contest.
"Not only goals, prizes and golden microphones are important. It's important that our country is firm again on the ground of European culture; it feels strong, independent and has something to say to the world," deputy chairman of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin said to the Komsomolskaya Pravda daily.
Fr. Vsevolod confessed that it was "a great joy" to watch the games between Zenith and Glasgow Rangers and between teams of Russia and Canada. According to him, in both games Russian sportsmen demonstrated will and team skills: "team play and organizational talents."
"We, Russians, often lack these qualities and we have to develop them in ourselves," the Church's representative said.
He also confessed that he wasn't "a great admirer" of Eurovision winner Dima Bilan's musical style.
"It's interesting that both in his song and in the song that won the first place for Serbia last year there is conscious or unconscious link to the faith and to the supreme cultural tradition: it's not for nothing that the Hungarian violinist played a Stradivari violin," Fr. Vsevolod stressed.
Most of all he liked the way various countries voted in the Eurovision.
"Ukrainians, Georgians, Greeks, citizens of the Baltic states and countries of the Central and Eastern Europe expressed their good attitude to Russia in spite of all political conflicts. And it was very joyful."
- A prayer about dogs and cats to held in the church near Moscow on the World Day of Protection of Homeless Animals 17 August 2018, 12:33
- Check of leader of Jewish movement Shahar for extremism might have to do with social media post - lawyer 13 August 2018, 17:28
- Teen suspected of setting fire to church in Karelia to be evaluated for sanity 13 August 2018, 14:29
- Teenage Satanist suspected of setting fire to wooden church in Karelia 13 August 2018, 12:58
- Police checking leader of Jewish movement in Russia for extremism - lawyer 10 August 2018, 20:53
- Russian Foreign Ministry asks Greek embassy for explanations on problems with issuing visas to priests 10 August 2018, 10:43
- St. Petersburg resident sentenced to 5 years in prison for preparing Kazan Cathedral terror attack 10 August 2018, 10:40
- Activists set up organization to protect rights of Orthodox believers in Eastern Europe 07 August 2018, 13:58
- Greece not issuing long-term visas to Russian priests - Russian patriarch's ex-spokesman 07 August 2018, 13:12
- Meeting of Moscow, Constantinople patriarchs will prove futility of efforts to split church - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 06 August 2018, 18:01
- Russia to memorialize 20 Holocaust execution sites 06 August 2018, 17:56
- Agenda of meeting between patriarchs Kirill, Bartholomew in works - Russian Orthodox Church 06 August 2018, 14:49
- Priest visits Oleg Sentsov in prison 06 August 2018, 14:05
- Patriarchs Kirill, Bartholomew to meet in Istanbul on Aug 31 06 August 2018, 13:45
- Moldova preparing for Patriarch Kirill's visit 02 August 2018, 12:32
- Poroshenko dismissed an official who promised him autocephaly to the Day of Russia's Baptism - media 02 August 2018, 11:05
- Patriarch Kirill appoints Grigory Antyufeyev acting general director of Sofrino (updated) 30 July 2018, 14:46
- No searches being conducted at Sofrino - source 30 July 2018, 12:38
- Patriarch Kirill removes long-term church administrator Parkhayev from all posts 30 July 2018, 12:35
- Ukrainian Interior Ministry estimates number of participants in so-called Kiev Patriarchate's procession as 65,000 people 28 July 2018, 17:47
- Poroshenko sees Russian Orthodox Church as threat to Ukraine 28 July 2018, 16:15
- Putin sees Christianization of Kievan Rus as start of Russia's statehood 28 July 2018, 14:29
- Putin joins religious procession marking 1030th anniversary of Christianization of Kievan Rus in Moscow 28 July 2018, 14:24
- Poroshenko joins schismatics' procession marking 1030th anniversary of Christianization of Rus in Kiev 28 July 2018, 12:56
- Russian Orthodox Church to resist attempts to separate Ukrainian Orthodox Church from it - Patriarch Kirill 28 July 2018, 09:07
- About 250,000 attend cross procession in Kiev - organizers 27 July 2018, 17:38
- Kiev cross procession begins 27 July 2018, 14:22
- Over 100,000 pilgrims to attend Kiev cross procession - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 27 July 2018, 14:00
- Heads, members of 10 local Orthodox Churches to celebrate 1030th anniversary of Baptism of Rus in Moscow 27 July 2018, 12:37
- Patriarch Kirill praises Ukrainian Orthodox Christians for staying loyal to Russian church before 1,030th anniversary of Christianization of Rus 27 July 2018, 11:06