09 June 2008, 12:09
The Orthodox ideal of unity may become the basis of Russia's political system - Moscow Patriarchate
Saint-Petersburg, June 9, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate believes that ideals of people's unity pursued by the Orthodox Church for years are still important for the country.
"The society created on this basis is more efficient than any social environment or state riven by conflicts and controversy, and increasingly turning from manageable into unmanageable state," Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin, Deputy Chairman of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations, said at XII St. Petersburg International Economy Forum.
According to the priest, the Orthodox social ideal of "the collegiate national body" may not only become the basis of the Russian political and social system, but also Russia's message, "which may help the world to overcome the ideology crisis, and eventually, the socio-economic crisis."
The idea of integrated power and people, and the union of people with the Orthodox Church and "other traditional religious communities" has been forming in Russia for ages, and it is directly rooted in the New Testament, the priest said.
"The political system currently dominating the world boasts its multi-confessional and multi-party nature, separation of powers, competition and manageable conflicts, but Orthodox Christians view it only as the sinful disintegration of people and mankind and symptoms of spiritual corruption," Fr. Vsevolod said.
He believes that such concept of harmful disintegration is just "one element of the Orthodox concept of the society in general."
This concept also includes "the priority of spiritual aspects over material ones, and the idea of self-giving for the good of neighbor, the call to self-restriction and abstinence, and the teaching of faith, Homeland, and sacred things as the most significant values of the society," Fr. Vsevolod said.
- Moscow's chief rabbi to meet with pope to discuss religious extremism in Europe 31 March 2015, 16:45
- Vatican ex-advisor converts to Orthodoxy and becomes a monk in Moscow monastery 31 March 2015, 15:49
- Number of Hizb ut-Tahrir supporters drastically down in Crimea - Russian Interior Ministry 31 March 2015, 10:01
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin criticizes 'spiritual relax' in connection with tragedy in the Alps 30 March 2015, 17:56
- Imams of Tajik mosques are urged to call for closure of Islamic Revival Party 30 March 2015, 16:45
- Lavrov meets with Orthodox monastery abbess in Guatemala 27 March 2015, 10:46
- Pilot Savchenko’s files contain information about torturing a priest 26 March 2015, 19:25
- Kolomoisky's resignation is the sign of Ukraine's growing dependence on the West, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 26 March 2015, 18:26
- Russians trained by ISIL may be used against home country 26 March 2015, 15:08
- Kyrgyzstan outlaws Islamic State 25 March 2015, 15:36
- Chechen leader, Jordanian king discuss fight against IS 25 March 2015, 10:00
- Moscow Patriarchate priest assaulted in west Ukraine 24 March 2015, 10:00
- Ukrainians trust Church the most - poll 23 March 2015, 17:22
- Over 5,000 mercenaries from CIS fight on ISIS side - expert 23 March 2015, 16:15
- Schoolchildren from Turkey, Italy, Egypt to discuss fight against religious extremism in St. Petersburg 23 March 2015, 12:57
- Uzbekistan worried about ISIL activity near its borders 23 March 2015, 12:19
- Patriarch Kirill awards Lavrov 23 March 2015, 11:28
- Chubais doubts Nemtsov murder motivated by religious hatred 23 March 2015, 10:15
- IS recruiters targeting North Caucasus students - envoy Melikov 23 March 2015, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about legalization of same-sex "marriage", abortion issue, and secularism in Europe 20 March 2015, 17:35
- The Russian Church conveys twenty five tones of humanitarian help to Donbass residents 20 March 2015, 14:41
- Another Moscow Patriarchate church seized in Ukraine 20 March 2015, 10:00
- Leader of women's wing of Hizb ut-Tahrir detained, arms cache discovered in south Kyrgyzstan 19 March 2015, 10:02
- Head of the Russian State Archive suggests to exhume remains of the tzar family to examine them again 18 March 2015, 16:28
- Russian Central Muslim Board urges artists to be more delicate about believers' feelings 16 March 2015, 14:57
- Russia is urged to revive Christianity in Europe - Patriarch Kirill 16 March 2015, 14:21
- Fire in Novodevichy Convent bell tower did not damage building 16 March 2015, 13:42
- Tannhauser opera staged in Novosibirsk desecrates Christian symbols - Mufti of Moscow 13 March 2015, 18:44
- Patriarch Kirill tried the role of a schoolboy at the Moscow Region Gymnasium 13 March 2015, 17:14
- Fire in bell tower of Nizhny Novgorod cathedral extinguished 12 March 2015, 17:42