23 June 2008, 14:44
Moscow Patriarchate refers to Catholic proselytism, in particular Uniates, as a barrier to dialogue with Vatican
Moscow, June 23, Interfax - The Chairman of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations Metropolitan Kirill believes, that the Uniates' activity in Ukraine and the mission of certain Catholics among the Orthodox citizens in Russia and CIS still stands a barrier to the dialogue between the Russian Orthodox Church and Vatican, Interfax-Religion reports.
"There is a series of unresolved problems in our relations [with Vatican]. First of all, they include the unsettled conflict between Orthodox and Greek Catholics in Western Ukraine, and unjustified expansion of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church mission into traditionally Orthodox regions," Metropolitan said in his interview to the official site of the Bishops' Council.
According to Metropolitan Kirill, another "uneasy issue" of these relations is "the missionary activity of certain members of the Roman Catholic Church among Orthodox citizens of Russia and CIS countries."
"The joint Orthodox Catholic Working Group operates in Russia to decide such matters since 2004. We hope that its work bears fruit," said Metropolitan Kirill.
He also mentioned that the dialogue between the Russian Orthodox Church and the Roman Catholic Church "has strong inherent reserves for joint defending traditional Christian moral values, correct arrangement of social and family relations and protecting human rights."
Metropolitan Kirill stressed that "our standpoints on these matters are almost identical."
As regards the relations of the Moscow Patriarchate with Protestant communities, Metropolitan Kirill said that they "are more complex due to different circumstances", as many protestants these years "tend to extremely liberalize many aspects of their lives," giving public blessings to same-sex "marriages" and laying hands on homosexuals.
"Unfortunately, such tendency continues to spread onto many new protestant communities in the West. In a bid to successfully resist this attempt at total liberalization, we need to unite efforts of Orthodox and protestants who keep faith to Evangelist traditions, both in religion and in life," said Metropolitan Kirill.
- Russian Catholics don’t believe in islamization of Europe 07 June 2019, 15:30
- Leaders, members of 15 Jehovah's Witnesses cells held in Dagestan 07 June 2019, 10:55
- World will be better if people follow Bible, Torah, Koran - Putin 06 June 2019, 18:01
- Russian Catholics urge not to have illusions about possible pontiff's visit to Moscow 06 June 2019, 17:05
- The Russian Orthodox Church is not ready to welcome the Pope of Rome in Moscow 06 June 2019, 16:04
- Putin to meet with Pope Francis 06 June 2019, 14:34
- Russian Jews pray for “lifting up” the soul of the reposed wife of the Israel’s president 06 June 2019, 11:32
- Russia's Jews present country as example of tolerance for Europe 04 June 2019, 18:48
- Remembrance of Great Patriotic War protects Russia from xenophobia, anti-Semitism - Putin 04 June 2019, 17:48
- Putin attends unveiling of monument to heroes of resistance in concentration camps 04 June 2019, 17:41
- Russian Muslim community plays major role in combating extremist ideology - PM Medvedev 04 June 2019, 11:28
- Putin notes Russian Muslims' contribution to peoples' unity, fight against extremism 04 June 2019, 11:25
- Last Sobibor uprising survivor dies 03 June 2019, 18:17
- Kiev Patriarchate does not exist, never existed - Patriarch Bartholomew 03 June 2019, 14:54
- Constantinople cannot solve complicated religious situation in Ukraine - Russian Orthodox Church 30 May 2019, 19:45
- Putin congratulates Jews on Salvation and Liberation Day 30 May 2019, 19:00
- Protests against construction of churches plotted by outside forces - Russian Orthodox Church 28 May 2019, 18:42
- Church on site of first Russian settlement Fort Ross in U.S. to be restored 28 May 2019, 17:27
- Russian Orthodox Church to open churches in Cyprus, Sweden 28 May 2019, 17:26
- Yekaterinburg residents offer some 50 sites for church construction 27 May 2019, 18:37
- Patriarch Kirill in meeting with Mijatovic asks Council of Europe to control observance of believers' rights in Ukraine 27 May 2019, 18:35
- Churches in Russia to keep being built as long as people need it - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 18:14
- Patriarch Kirill hopes for end to discrimination against Orthodox Christians in Ukraine under new president 27 May 2019, 18:13
- Europe, Russia should turn over page of misunderstanding - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 17:18
- Patriarch Kirill tells secretary general of Council of Europe is concerned about human rights issues 27 May 2019, 14:14
- Putin, Patriarch Kirill discuss matter of plans to build Yekaterinburg church – Peskov 27 May 2019, 13:42
- Metropolitan Kirill compares situation with church construction in Yekaterinburg to tsar's family killing 27 May 2019, 12:31
- Patriarch Kirill sanctifies Church of All Saints in Strasbourg 27 May 2019, 11:27
- Hegumen arrested after stabbing, injuring monk at Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius 24 May 2019, 19:10
- Putin congratulates Patriarch Kirill on name day, suggests he loosen up work schedule 24 May 2019, 17:48