23 June 2008, 17:48
Orthodox community suggests conducting prayer services on the eve of Russia's play in Euro 2008 semi-final
Moscow, June 23, Interfax - The Union of Orthodox citizens considers it important to extend prayerful support to Russian footballers on the eve of their play with the Spanish team in Euro 2008 semi-final on June 26, Thursday.
"The next match will take place shortly before the feast of All Russian Saints. Football in Russia is more than just football, so the whole country should pray for victory of Russian team on the eve of All Russian Saints day," head of the Union's Moscow department Kirill Frolov has told an Interfax-Religion correspondent on Monday.
He also recommended Russian footballers to visit a Russian church in Switzerland before the match.
The interviewee of the agency called Holland, which had lost to Russia in quarter-final, "a champion" of European de-Christianization" and reminded that it had "legalized homosexuality, drugs and a pedophiles political party is being established there." Frolov believes that "Orthodox Russia won over "apostates" in that game.
As to the previous Russia-Sweden match, the Union's representative believes that "associations with the Poltava victory are relevant and necessary in this case."
"We needed this "Poltava victory" in the context of pan (Ukrainian for mister - IF) Yushchenko's plans to celebrate "Ukrainian-Swedish action" in 2009. Our footballers have broken off this "piece of project," Frolov stated.
- Only one Moscow Patriarchate's Ukrainian Orthodox Church metropolitan planned to attend unification assembly, but decided not do so 21 November 2018, 10:14
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church says its bishops are being pressured into attending "unification gathering" 20 November 2018, 19:18
- Putin calls Patriarch Kirill to wish him happy birthday 20 November 2018, 18:36
- Church unification assembly may be held in early Dec - Parubiy 19 November 2018, 13:10
- Synod of Ecumenical Patriarchate to decide on date of church unification assembly in Ukraine 19 November 2018, 12:20
- Donbass people affected by war get 15 mln euro aid from Pope 19 November 2018, 12:02
- "Kiev Patriarchate" denies rumors unification assembly set for Nov 22 19 November 2018, 11:59
- Polish Orthodox Church bans all contacts with Ukrainian schismatics 19 November 2018, 11:55
- Crimean Diocese of Ukrainian Orthodox Church has solidarity with Metropolitan Onufry 16 November 2018, 19:11
- Local church being created is political organization - Metropolitan Onufry 16 November 2018, 16:40
- Vinnitsa clergy refuse to follow their archbishop into 'local' church 16 November 2018, 15:22
- FSB searches apartments of Jehovah's Witnesses members in Crimea's Dzhankoy 16 November 2018, 11:00
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's Metropolitan Simeon to attend "unification" council - media 15 November 2018, 22:20
- U.S. embassy concerned by Kiev's St. Andrew Church attack 15 November 2018, 19:25
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church warns of schemes using its bishops' signatures at unification assembly 15 November 2018, 15:46
- Unknown individuals attack St. Andrew's Church, transferred to Ecumenical Patriarchate, in Kiev 15 November 2018, 15:34
- Dissenting bishops of canonical Ukrainian Church might ignore 'unifying assembly' - Metropolitan Hilarion 15 November 2018, 14:56
- Constantinople deceiving supporters of Ukrainian autocephaly - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 15 November 2018, 12:11
- "Kiev Patriarchate" may nominate Filaret for head of new church 15 November 2018, 12:02
- Date of unification assembly not known yet - "Kiev Patriarchate" 15 November 2018, 11:10
- Upcoming 'uniting' assembly in Ukraine to have negligible canonical consequences - Russian Orthodox Church 14 November 2018, 21:58
- "Unification" council to be held in Ukraine on Nov 22 - media (updated) 14 November 2018, 21:54
- Poroshenko had angry phone call with Metropolitan Onufry - media 14 November 2018, 15:36
- Poroshenko administration refuses to show journalists agreement with Patriarch Bartholomew 14 November 2018, 13:58
- Ukrainian state to protect right to choose church jurisdiction - Poroshenko to Ukrainian hierarchs of Moscow Patriarchate 14 November 2018, 11:15
- Metropolitan Hilarion, Deputy Foreign Minister Karasin discuss Syria's humanitarian crisis, Christians' protection 14 November 2018, 11:08
- Duma proposes drawing up map of Greek churches, monasteries Russian Orthodox believers can visit 14 November 2018, 11:05
- Poroshenko phones Metropolitan Onufry, surprised why archbishops did not come - source 13 November 2018, 21:27
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church eagerly wants to protect its name - Bishop's Council 13 November 2018, 20:00
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church bishops refuse to take part in creation of autocephalous church 13 November 2018, 19:25