25 June 2008, 16:30
Kharkov pensioners break a memorial desk to the SS spiritual guide
Moscow, June 25, Interfax - A memorial granite desk to the "patriarch" of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church (UGCC) Joseph Slipyj was broken in the center of Kharkov.
According to witnesses, a group of "exalted elderly" people performed the act of vandalism, the website of the Komsomolskaya Pravda Ukrainian version has reported on Wednesday.
One of the witnesses reported the accident to the police. Criminals haven't been detained yet.
The memorial desk was at the house where the "patriarch" used to stay. Earlier that building housed a transit prison.
Slipyj was a spiritual guide of the SS-Galichina division and the Nachtigal SS Galician battalion. He was arrested in 1945 and convicted to penal servitude in Siberia. Later he was convicted twice and contained in prisons of the Krasnoyarsk Territory, the Novosibirsk Region, and Kamchatka. He was released thanks to Vatican's interference and settled in Rome.
Slipyj died on September 7, 1984 in Rome where he was first buried. His remains were transferred to Lvov and buried in a crypt of St. Yura Cathedral in 1992 in compliance with his will. The process of Metropolitan Joseph's beatification is launched as the Catholic Church seeks to canonize him as one of its saints.
- Russian Church has established a day of remembrance for the victims of repression 27 September 2021, 11:06
- Russian Orthodox Church considering accepting Alexandria clergy who don't want to recognize Ukrainian schism 24 September 2021, 17:40
- Patriarch of Constantinople who visited Kiev has no right to speak on behalf of Orthodox world - Russian Church 24 September 2021, 17:24
- Russian Prosecutor General's Office designates two Scientology organizations undesirable 24 September 2021, 16:58
- Five Jehovah's Witnesses convicted in Russia's Volgograd Region 24 September 2021, 10:10
- Court dismisses appeal against forcible treatment of Yakutia shaman Gabyshev 23 September 2021, 15:22
- FJCR calls on Ukrainian authorities to expand definition of anti-Semitism 23 September 2021, 15:18
- Krasny Pakhar Jamaat added to Russian list of terrorist groups 22 September 2021, 16:29
- Ukraine adopts law on fight against anti-Semitism 22 September 2021, 13:38
- Afghanistan must form inclusive govt - SCO summit declaration 17 September 2021, 17:12
- Patriarch Kirill doubts legitimacy of authority of Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople 16 September 2021, 16:38
- Jehovah's Witness jailed for 3 years in Kostroma 08 September 2021, 10:00
- Jehovah's Witness from Pskov Region gets suspended sentence 08 September 2021, 10:00
- Putin notes contribution of Jewish religious organizations to interethnic peace, accord 06 September 2021, 14:26
- Metropolitan Hilarion compared Patriarch Bartholomew to a robber and a thief 06 September 2021, 10:52
- Russian Church concerned about the fate of Christians in Afghanistan 06 September 2021, 10:43
- Supporters of radical Islam held in Tula 06 September 2021, 10:36
- Defrocked priest Sergy's supporter remanded in custody – court 02 September 2021, 18:13
- More than 5.5 thousand clerics and monks of the Russian Orthodox Church in Russia have been ill with coronavirus 02 September 2021, 14:36
- More than 2.5 million people have visited the Jewish Museum in Moscow during its nine years of operation 02 September 2021, 14:31
- Lithuanian president promises not to allow LGBT history to be taught in schools 02 September 2021, 14:25
- Associate of former schema-hegumen Sergy detained in hatred fanning case 01 September 2021, 15:26
- Complaints about threats from Male State community should be processed by law enforcement agencies - Peskov 31 August 2021, 14:57
- Taliban to present themselves as less radical to get investments – expert 31 August 2021, 13:45
- Russian Justice Ministry adds 4 Ukrainian and Latvian religious movements to list of groups undesirable in Russia 30 August 2021, 18:12
- The church historian called the results of Patriarch Bartholomew's visit to Ukraine deplorable 30 August 2021, 16:04
- More than 500 Orthodox churches to be built in Moscow 30 August 2021, 11:07
- Russian authorities to check the construction of a closed "halal" village near Moscow 30 August 2021, 10:49
- Patriarch Kirill calls the visit of the Constantinople primate to Kiev sinful 30 August 2021, 10:40
- Organizers of Jehovah's Witnesses cell detained in Moscow 26 August 2021, 15:55