27 June 2008, 14:19
Church persuades Russian sport fans that the country's grandeur doesn't depend on its football victories or losses
Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, June 27, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church urges Russian football fans "to keep cool."
"It was a great game of our footballers. Their result is a breakthrough of Russian football and we all can congratulate each other on it," head of the Sakhalin Diocese missionary department Archpriest Viktor Gorbach told an Interfax-Religion correspondent.
The priest confessed that being an Orthodox missionary he often communicated with teens and young people and saw how emotionally they reacted to the game of the Russian football team.
"I think it's not so much their love to a certain sport as their desire to see Russia great in everything. This patriotic feeling is understandable, explicable and arouses sympathy. Bur we should remember that the country's grandeur doesn't depend on its football victories and losses," the interviewee of the agency noted.
The missionary department head believes there is "very serious emotional overheat" in attitude to the Russia's results in Euro-2008.
According to the priest, "disruptive and sometimes inadequate reaction of fans to the results of football matches up to frankly hooligan actions shows not quite correct life priorities of young people as they don't realize what is really important and significant. It's necessary to keep in mind that football is only a sport game, though very showy and popular," Fr. Viktor stressed.
- Only one Moscow Patriarchate's Ukrainian Orthodox Church metropolitan planned to attend unification assembly, but decided not do so 21 November 2018, 10:14
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church says its bishops are being pressured into attending "unification gathering" 20 November 2018, 19:18
- Putin calls Patriarch Kirill to wish him happy birthday 20 November 2018, 18:36
- Church unification assembly may be held in early Dec - Parubiy 19 November 2018, 13:10
- Synod of Ecumenical Patriarchate to decide on date of church unification assembly in Ukraine 19 November 2018, 12:20
- Donbass people affected by war get 15 mln euro aid from Pope 19 November 2018, 12:02
- "Kiev Patriarchate" denies rumors unification assembly set for Nov 22 19 November 2018, 11:59
- Polish Orthodox Church bans all contacts with Ukrainian schismatics 19 November 2018, 11:55
- Crimean Diocese of Ukrainian Orthodox Church has solidarity with Metropolitan Onufry 16 November 2018, 19:11
- Local church being created is political organization - Metropolitan Onufry 16 November 2018, 16:40
- Vinnitsa clergy refuse to follow their archbishop into 'local' church 16 November 2018, 15:22
- FSB searches apartments of Jehovah's Witnesses members in Crimea's Dzhankoy 16 November 2018, 11:00
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's Metropolitan Simeon to attend "unification" council - media 15 November 2018, 22:20
- U.S. embassy concerned by Kiev's St. Andrew Church attack 15 November 2018, 19:25
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church warns of schemes using its bishops' signatures at unification assembly 15 November 2018, 15:46
- Unknown individuals attack St. Andrew's Church, transferred to Ecumenical Patriarchate, in Kiev 15 November 2018, 15:34
- Dissenting bishops of canonical Ukrainian Church might ignore 'unifying assembly' - Metropolitan Hilarion 15 November 2018, 14:56
- Constantinople deceiving supporters of Ukrainian autocephaly - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 15 November 2018, 12:11
- "Kiev Patriarchate" may nominate Filaret for head of new church 15 November 2018, 12:02
- Date of unification assembly not known yet - "Kiev Patriarchate" 15 November 2018, 11:10
- Upcoming 'uniting' assembly in Ukraine to have negligible canonical consequences - Russian Orthodox Church 14 November 2018, 21:58
- "Unification" council to be held in Ukraine on Nov 22 - media (updated) 14 November 2018, 21:54
- Poroshenko had angry phone call with Metropolitan Onufry - media 14 November 2018, 15:36
- Poroshenko administration refuses to show journalists agreement with Patriarch Bartholomew 14 November 2018, 13:58
- Ukrainian state to protect right to choose church jurisdiction - Poroshenko to Ukrainian hierarchs of Moscow Patriarchate 14 November 2018, 11:15
- Metropolitan Hilarion, Deputy Foreign Minister Karasin discuss Syria's humanitarian crisis, Christians' protection 14 November 2018, 11:08
- Duma proposes drawing up map of Greek churches, monasteries Russian Orthodox believers can visit 14 November 2018, 11:05
- Poroshenko phones Metropolitan Onufry, surprised why archbishops did not come - source 13 November 2018, 21:27
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church eagerly wants to protect its name - Bishop's Council 13 November 2018, 20:00
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church bishops refuse to take part in creation of autocephalous church 13 November 2018, 19:25