04 July 2008, 14:14
Patriarch Bartholomew's intention to visit Ukraine behind Alexy II back is a hostile act against Russia, a historian believes
Moscow, July 4, Interfax - A Russian historian believes that if Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople comes to the church-state festival ceremonies in Ukraine without Alexy II invitation, it will be the next hostile act of his Church against Russia.
"Since 1917 the Constantinople Church has always tried to work against Russia and the Russian Orthodox Church. It works in alliance with NATO to tear Ukraine away from Russia," the Imperial Orthodox Palestinian Society deputy chairman Dr. Nikolay Lisovoy told Interfax-Religion on Friday.
Thus, he further said that the Patriarch Bartholomew's visit is rather "a political than a church matter."
The interviewee of the agency reminded that in compliance with local Church rules, Patriarch of an Orthodox Church could visit the canonical territory of the other Church only when invited by the latter's primate.
According to Lisovoy, heads of Orthodox churches came to Bethlehem in 2000, but it was "on invitation of the Patriarch of Jerusalem and All Palestine and not only of Israeli president or Palestinian leader Yassir Arafat."
The historian noted that Arafat participated in the religious meeting in Bethlehem, "he was sitting together with Churches' heads, he had arranged a reception for them, but he wasn't a host, he was an organizer."
"I wander how it might have come to this that patriarchs are coming to the canonical territory of the Moscow Patriarchate on Viktor Ushchenko's invitation! It is as much as the head of Turkish government would invite our Patriarch to Nicea to the place of the ancient Nicean Council. And our patriarch would go there without asking a permission of the local Constantinople patriarch who canonically rules over this territory," Lisovoy said.
He stressed it was "nonsense in church relations" and urged not to mix "apples and oranges."
The historian is convinced that the Constantinople Patriarch's decision to visit Ukraine as well as Ushchenko's invitation is "a straight way to undermine church unity."
"If Ushchenko wanted to tune church relations, particularly with the Constantinople Patriarch, first of all he should contact the Russian Orthodox Church primate as Ukraine canonically belongs to it. However, he didn't do that."
Lisovoy believes that of if Bartholomew I comes to Ukraine, Patriarch Alexy II "shouldn't visit the country."
"We must comment it on church and political level, as we would do if it turned out that, for example, the Georgian Patriarch would decide to visit Ukraine unknown for Alexy II," Lisovoy said.
The Holy Synod of the Constantinople Church has recently informed that Bartholomew I intends to visit Ukraine on Ushchenko's invitation and to participate in celebrations of the 1020th anniversary of Russia's Baptism to be held in July-August.
- In order to come to Russia Dalai Lama must quit politics - Lavrov 28 August 2014, 10:13
- Wahhabism supporters use Internet to campaign for extremism - Kadyrov 26 August 2014, 17:47
- Kadyrov asks clergy to resist early marriages in Chechnya 26 August 2014, 14:58
- Yamalo-Nenets authorities deny violations of Muslims' rights at local prison 26 August 2014, 14:57
- Russian social network VK says Islamic State accounts blocked 26 August 2014, 10:05
- Church burns down in Donetsk as shell hits is - diocese 26 August 2014, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill again calls on UN, Council of Europe, OSCE to help stop fighting in Ukraine 25 August 2014, 17:08
- Ukrainian army deliberately targets orthodox churches - archbishop of Gorlovka 25 August 2014, 16:55
- Pope Francis sends greetings to Ukraine on Independence Day 25 August 2014, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill asks Poroshenko to stop war, prays for its victims 25 August 2014, 10:16
- Shell damages Donetsk mosque 22 August 2014, 14:20
- Islamists killing of U.S. reporter Foley is barbaric - Moscow 22 August 2014, 11:21
- Historical muftiate revived in Crimea 22 August 2014, 11:09
- Ukrainian shell hits church in central Lugansk 21 August 2014, 16:21
- Clerics bless humanitarian aid sent to Ukraine 21 August 2014, 13:44
- Twice as many churches to be built in Moscow in frames of Program 200 20 August 2014, 13:25
- Church from Moscow Program-200 can be included in world’s five masterpieces of mosaic art 20 August 2014, 13:21
- Patriarch Kirill demands intl protection of Orthodox Christians in Ukraine 20 August 2014, 10:13
- Deputy mufti murder in Vladikavkaz 18 August 2014, 11:42
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church urges gunmen in eastern Ukraine to lay down arms 18 August 2014, 10:06
- Patriarch Kirill: Uniates, schismatics seeking to eradicate Orthodoxy in Ukraine 18 August 2014, 10:05
- Patriarch Kirill sends greetings to Metropolitan Onufry 18 August 2014, 10:03
- Metropolitan Onufry enthroned as primate of Ukrainian Church 18 August 2014, 10:01
- Court suspends Kharkov authorities' resolution giving Russian senator title of Kharkiv freeman for building churches 15 August 2014, 12:50
- N. Korea's missile test-launch not connected with arrival of Pope Francis in Seoul - Pyongyang 15 August 2014, 12:43
- Far-right groups threaten Kiev Region priest with reprisals 15 August 2014, 11:54
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church ready for dialogue with "Kiev Patriarchate", Autocephalous Church 15 August 2014, 11:05
- Production of Kosher food boosts thanks to sanctions 15 August 2014, 10:04
- Leaders of Jamaat Ansarullah Tajik wing killed in Afghanistan 15 August 2014, 10:03
- Rabbi calls for terrorists in Iraq, Syria to be ruthlessly killed, their sponsors tried in The Hague 15 August 2014, 10:01