04 July 2008, 14:14
Patriarch Bartholomew's intention to visit Ukraine behind Alexy II back is a hostile act against Russia, a historian believes
Moscow, July 4, Interfax - A Russian historian believes that if Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople comes to the church-state festival ceremonies in Ukraine without Alexy II invitation, it will be the next hostile act of his Church against Russia.
"Since 1917 the Constantinople Church has always tried to work against Russia and the Russian Orthodox Church. It works in alliance with NATO to tear Ukraine away from Russia," the Imperial Orthodox Palestinian Society deputy chairman Dr. Nikolay Lisovoy told Interfax-Religion on Friday.
Thus, he further said that the Patriarch Bartholomew's visit is rather "a political than a church matter."
The interviewee of the agency reminded that in compliance with local Church rules, Patriarch of an Orthodox Church could visit the canonical territory of the other Church only when invited by the latter's primate.
According to Lisovoy, heads of Orthodox churches came to Bethlehem in 2000, but it was "on invitation of the Patriarch of Jerusalem and All Palestine and not only of Israeli president or Palestinian leader Yassir Arafat."
The historian noted that Arafat participated in the religious meeting in Bethlehem, "he was sitting together with Churches' heads, he had arranged a reception for them, but he wasn't a host, he was an organizer."
"I wander how it might have come to this that patriarchs are coming to the canonical territory of the Moscow Patriarchate on Viktor Ushchenko's invitation! It is as much as the head of Turkish government would invite our Patriarch to Nicea to the place of the ancient Nicean Council. And our patriarch would go there without asking a permission of the local Constantinople patriarch who canonically rules over this territory," Lisovoy said.
He stressed it was "nonsense in church relations" and urged not to mix "apples and oranges."
The historian is convinced that the Constantinople Patriarch's decision to visit Ukraine as well as Ushchenko's invitation is "a straight way to undermine church unity."
"If Ushchenko wanted to tune church relations, particularly with the Constantinople Patriarch, first of all he should contact the Russian Orthodox Church primate as Ukraine canonically belongs to it. However, he didn't do that."
Lisovoy believes that of if Bartholomew I comes to Ukraine, Patriarch Alexy II "shouldn't visit the country."
"We must comment it on church and political level, as we would do if it turned out that, for example, the Georgian Patriarch would decide to visit Ukraine unknown for Alexy II," Lisovoy said.
The Holy Synod of the Constantinople Church has recently informed that Bartholomew I intends to visit Ukraine on Ushchenko's invitation and to participate in celebrations of the 1020th anniversary of Russia's Baptism to be held in July-August.
- Russian Church: Western calls for religious neutrality of state play into the hands of chaos scenario 24 April 2015, 17:51
- Yerevan memorial complex hosting service for Armenian genocide victims 24 April 2015, 10:25
- Armenian Church canonizes victims of Ottoman genocide 24 April 2015, 10:00
- Church official urges vets to focus on animal's health, not profit 23 April 2015, 12:14
- Church of Moscow Patriarchate set on fire in Babi Yar again 23 April 2015, 10:00
- Lavrov: Islamic State is Russia's main enemy now 22 April 2015, 12:51
- FSB officer claims existence of "prison Jamaats" in Russia 22 April 2015, 12:06
- Innocent people suffer from sanctions between Russia and West - Pope of Rome 22 April 2015, 10:02
- Three jailed for life over murder of prominent religious leader in Dagestan 21 April 2015, 12:07
- Russian patriarch blames IS for Islamic demonization 21 April 2015, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Christian leaders to unite over killing, intimidation of Christians in Mideast 21 April 2015, 10:02
- Good Russia-Germany relations important for whole world - Patriarch Kirill 21 April 2015, 10:00
- Lavrov hopes that the Orthodox Christians in Ukraine "will not allow anyone to manipulate them as a pawn in someone else's game" 20 April 2015, 18:18
- Church hopes for creation of Orthodox banking in Russia 20 April 2015, 17:48
- Armenian Church to canonize all victims of Armenian genocide 20 April 2015, 17:45
- Two Mormon missionaries detained near St. Petersburg 20 April 2015, 10:00
- Russia's top intelligence officer warns of spread of radical Islam in Middle East and Asia 17 April 2015, 11:31
- Islamic State a challenge to stability of state system in Middle East - Pakistani expert 17 April 2015, 10:26
- Patriarch Kirill expresses concerns about crimes against Christians in Middle East 17 April 2015, 10:00
- Putin hopes conflict caused by Pope's statement on genocide of Armenians can be resolved (updated) 16 April 2015, 17:28
- Not enough is being done to protect Christians in Middle East - Putin 16 April 2015, 17:17
- Some counties that sponsor jihadist groups are re-directing them to Caucasus, Central Asia - Iranian defense minister 16 April 2015, 16:06
- Putin is concerned about presence of Russian citizens among ISIS members 16 April 2015, 15:24
- Golden iPhones with Rublev's Trinity at the backside for sale in Russia 15 April 2015, 18:40
- Patriarch Kirill consecrates a foundation stone of the church to commemorate Special Service officers 15 April 2015, 18:14
- Kazakh teenager, his partner convicted over plans to join ISIL 15 April 2015, 12:34
- Abbas accuses of attempts to Judaize East Jerusalem 14 April 2015, 17:10
- Georgian president grants 78 pardons for Easter 14 April 2015, 13:26
- Young Tajik Muslims banned from hajj 14 April 2015, 12:51
- Russian police bust Hizb ut-Tahrir units in Nizhnevartovsk and Chelyabinsk region - NAC 14 April 2015, 11:28