04 July 2008, 14:14
Patriarch Bartholomew's intention to visit Ukraine behind Alexy II back is a hostile act against Russia, a historian believes
Moscow, July 4, Interfax - A Russian historian believes that if Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople comes to the church-state festival ceremonies in Ukraine without Alexy II invitation, it will be the next hostile act of his Church against Russia.
"Since 1917 the Constantinople Church has always tried to work against Russia and the Russian Orthodox Church. It works in alliance with NATO to tear Ukraine away from Russia," the Imperial Orthodox Palestinian Society deputy chairman Dr. Nikolay Lisovoy told Interfax-Religion on Friday.
Thus, he further said that the Patriarch Bartholomew's visit is rather "a political than a church matter."
The interviewee of the agency reminded that in compliance with local Church rules, Patriarch of an Orthodox Church could visit the canonical territory of the other Church only when invited by the latter's primate.
According to Lisovoy, heads of Orthodox churches came to Bethlehem in 2000, but it was "on invitation of the Patriarch of Jerusalem and All Palestine and not only of Israeli president or Palestinian leader Yassir Arafat."
The historian noted that Arafat participated in the religious meeting in Bethlehem, "he was sitting together with Churches' heads, he had arranged a reception for them, but he wasn't a host, he was an organizer."
"I wander how it might have come to this that patriarchs are coming to the canonical territory of the Moscow Patriarchate on Viktor Ushchenko's invitation! It is as much as the head of Turkish government would invite our Patriarch to Nicea to the place of the ancient Nicean Council. And our patriarch would go there without asking a permission of the local Constantinople patriarch who canonically rules over this territory," Lisovoy said.
He stressed it was "nonsense in church relations" and urged not to mix "apples and oranges."
The historian is convinced that the Constantinople Patriarch's decision to visit Ukraine as well as Ushchenko's invitation is "a straight way to undermine church unity."
"If Ushchenko wanted to tune church relations, particularly with the Constantinople Patriarch, first of all he should contact the Russian Orthodox Church primate as Ukraine canonically belongs to it. However, he didn't do that."
Lisovoy believes that of if Bartholomew I comes to Ukraine, Patriarch Alexy II "shouldn't visit the country."
"We must comment it on church and political level, as we would do if it turned out that, for example, the Georgian Patriarch would decide to visit Ukraine unknown for Alexy II," Lisovoy said.
The Holy Synod of the Constantinople Church has recently informed that Bartholomew I intends to visit Ukraine on Ushchenko's invitation and to participate in celebrations of the 1020th anniversary of Russia's Baptism to be held in July-August.
- Protesters destroyed a temporary chapel near the Supreme Rada 01 September 2015, 15:23
- Petersburg needs three times as many churches as it now has - head of the Metropolia 01 September 2015, 14:53
- Protestant church to be turned in an Orthodox church in the USA 01 September 2015, 11:59
- Cultural monuments in Syria, Iraq need to be protected from Islamists – Lavrov 01 September 2015, 11:12
- Appearance of ISIS militants in Kyrgyzstan shows stability is fragile - Atambayev 31 August 2015, 14:19
- Fourteen suspected ISIS propagandists detained in Tajikistan 31 August 2015, 12:58
- Tajik Justice Ministry gave ten days to shut down Islamic Renaissance Party 31 August 2015, 10:10
- Mercenary inquiry opened against Stavropol neo-pagan group leader fighting for Kiev 31 August 2015, 10:08
- Valaam Monastery to raise up to 200 tonnes of trout per year in response to sanctions 28 August 2015, 17:59
- Hizb ut-Tahrir follower seized in Kyrgyzstan for illegal religious training of young girls 28 August 2015, 12:57
- Cathedral mosque to be built in Simferopol with Turkey participating - Mufti of Crimea 27 August 2015, 14:34
- Russian soldiers will learn methods of struggle against Islamic radicals and sects 26 August 2015, 13:07
- Russian Church likens attacks on Orthodox Ukrainians to Soviet-era persecutions 26 August 2015, 10:04
- Shelling damages a diocesan building in Gorlovka 25 August 2015, 11:16
- Patriarch Kirill hopes for interaction between Ukrainian Orthodox Church, Ukrainian authorities in interests of society 24 August 2015, 17:11
- Schismatics disrupted a divine service and seized an Orthodox church not far from Kiev 24 August 2015, 11:29
- Court seizes over one million Jehovah's Witnesses brochures brought into Russia 21 August 2015, 17:42
- Blogger from Karelia who criticized Church and received shelter in Estonia offers to exchange himself for Kohver 20 August 2015, 16:20
- Deputy imam killed in Stavropol territory 20 August 2015, 14:20
- Russia and Church cast a challenge to all evil powers - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 20 August 2015, 10:06
- 20% decrease in number of hajj-goers is prognosed in Russia as the ruble devaluates 19 August 2015, 17:50
- Kazakh priest conquers highest mountain in the Central Asia 19 August 2015, 12:58
- Teenagers hoist ISIL flag in southern Tajikistan 19 August 2015, 12:34
- African Patriarch to make pilgrimage to Russia 18 August 2015, 15:37
- Aksyonov won't allow gay prides in Crimea 18 August 2015, 14:18
- Orthodox believers ask Moscow Prosecutor to give legal evaluation of notorious exhibition in Manege 18 August 2015, 12:29
- Orthodox activists deny involvement in Moscow deputy assault 18 August 2015, 10:05
- Member of Hizb ut-Tahrir cell in St. Petersburg sentenced to five years in jail 17 August 2015, 17:20
- Petards and smoke grenades thrown at participants in homosexual forum in Odessa 17 August 2015, 15:08
- Incident in Manege promotes exhibition and Enteo, both sides should be punished, Orthodox human rights advocate believes 17 August 2015, 14:43