04 July 2008, 14:14
Patriarch Bartholomew's intention to visit Ukraine behind Alexy II back is a hostile act against Russia, a historian believes
Moscow, July 4, Interfax - A Russian historian believes that if Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople comes to the church-state festival ceremonies in Ukraine without Alexy II invitation, it will be the next hostile act of his Church against Russia.
"Since 1917 the Constantinople Church has always tried to work against Russia and the Russian Orthodox Church. It works in alliance with NATO to tear Ukraine away from Russia," the Imperial Orthodox Palestinian Society deputy chairman Dr. Nikolay Lisovoy told Interfax-Religion on Friday.
Thus, he further said that the Patriarch Bartholomew's visit is rather "a political than a church matter."
The interviewee of the agency reminded that in compliance with local Church rules, Patriarch of an Orthodox Church could visit the canonical territory of the other Church only when invited by the latter's primate.
According to Lisovoy, heads of Orthodox churches came to Bethlehem in 2000, but it was "on invitation of the Patriarch of Jerusalem and All Palestine and not only of Israeli president or Palestinian leader Yassir Arafat."
The historian noted that Arafat participated in the religious meeting in Bethlehem, "he was sitting together with Churches' heads, he had arranged a reception for them, but he wasn't a host, he was an organizer."
"I wander how it might have come to this that patriarchs are coming to the canonical territory of the Moscow Patriarchate on Viktor Ushchenko's invitation! It is as much as the head of Turkish government would invite our Patriarch to Nicea to the place of the ancient Nicean Council. And our patriarch would go there without asking a permission of the local Constantinople patriarch who canonically rules over this territory," Lisovoy said.
He stressed it was "nonsense in church relations" and urged not to mix "apples and oranges."
The historian is convinced that the Constantinople Patriarch's decision to visit Ukraine as well as Ushchenko's invitation is "a straight way to undermine church unity."
"If Ushchenko wanted to tune church relations, particularly with the Constantinople Patriarch, first of all he should contact the Russian Orthodox Church primate as Ukraine canonically belongs to it. However, he didn't do that."
Lisovoy believes that of if Bartholomew I comes to Ukraine, Patriarch Alexy II "shouldn't visit the country."
"We must comment it on church and political level, as we would do if it turned out that, for example, the Georgian Patriarch would decide to visit Ukraine unknown for Alexy II," Lisovoy said.
The Holy Synod of the Constantinople Church has recently informed that Bartholomew I intends to visit Ukraine on Ushchenko's invitation and to participate in celebrations of the 1020th anniversary of Russia's Baptism to be held in July-August.
- Supreme mufti of Syria thanks Russia for opposing "snobby West" 31 October 2014, 10:45
- "Islamic caliphate" is more dangerous than World War III 31 October 2014, 10:44
- Secularists seemingly getting superiority over Islamists in Libya war - analyst 30 October 2014, 18:03
- Patriarch Kirill likens Ukraine situation with Arab Spring 30 October 2014, 10:01
- ISIS is no use for the USA and threatens to destroy entire Islamic civilization 29 October 2014, 18:06
- ISIS is instrument for unleashing World War III 29 October 2014, 17:27
- Georgian patriarch urges rapprochement with Russia 29 October 2014, 17:26
- Orthodox believers to hold an action "Drink pumpkin juice for repose of Halloween 29 October 2014, 11:54
- Syrian mufti, Russian communist leader slam U.S. policies towards Damascus, Moscow 29 October 2014, 11:16
- World Russian People's Council suggests to limit entry of young Russians to the countries where they can fall victims of juvenile justice 28 October 2014, 17:53
- Head of the Orthodox Citizens Union urges to throw 'the fifth column' out of Russian authorities and media 28 October 2014, 12:20
- Competitors give up Russian witch protesting against church building to the police in Moscow 28 October 2014, 11:37
- Bans only can't solve the problem of spreading harmful information in Internet 28 October 2014, 11:02
- Promoting traditional Islam values and culture is a priority in the country - the State Committee head 28 October 2014, 10:12
- Rise in ethnic, religious conflicts one of global threats - Putin 28 October 2014, 10:05
- UNESCO experts to consider the chances of restoring Kremlin historical image including its two monasteries 28 October 2014, 10:00
- Rahmon: OIC countries face global challenges 27 October 2014, 14:25
- Patriarch Kirill urges to cultivate national soil so that it won't become a side of the alien road 27 October 2014, 11:07
- Putin warns that buying oil from IS militants finances terrorism 24 October 2014, 17:39
- USA supports neo-Nazis and Islamic radicals instead of democracy - Putin 24 October 2014, 17:11
- Russian sculptor Tsereteli to open a monument to John Paul II at Notre-Dame de Paris 24 October 2014, 15:43
- Two Wahabis get long prison terms for plotting terror act at Russia's chemical arms disposal plant 24 October 2014, 15:04
- Canalization manholes with St. George the Victory-Bearer can appear in Moscow, Orthodox believres outraged 24 October 2014, 14:40
- Tajik family fined for giving lavish welcome-back to relative after Mecca hajj 24 October 2014, 13:13
- The Ukrainian Orthodox Church official believes peace efforts of Kiev authorities insufficient 23 October 2014, 14:17
- IOPS chairman asks Iraqi president to release Tariq Aziz 23 October 2014, 11:32
- Islamists on rise in C. Asia as CU, SCO expected to expand - expert 23 October 2014, 10:01
- Historian doubts Nicholas II abdicated the throne 22 October 2014, 17:20
- Constitutional Court turns down Pussy Riot member appeal against disorderly conduct qualification 22 October 2014, 16:10
- Israeli authorities are ready to extradite Grozovsky - source 22 October 2014, 15:57