04 July 2008, 14:14
Patriarch Bartholomew's intention to visit Ukraine behind Alexy II back is a hostile act against Russia, a historian believes
Moscow, July 4, Interfax - A Russian historian believes that if Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople comes to the church-state festival ceremonies in Ukraine without Alexy II invitation, it will be the next hostile act of his Church against Russia.
"Since 1917 the Constantinople Church has always tried to work against Russia and the Russian Orthodox Church. It works in alliance with NATO to tear Ukraine away from Russia," the Imperial Orthodox Palestinian Society deputy chairman Dr. Nikolay Lisovoy told Interfax-Religion on Friday.
Thus, he further said that the Patriarch Bartholomew's visit is rather "a political than a church matter."
The interviewee of the agency reminded that in compliance with local Church rules, Patriarch of an Orthodox Church could visit the canonical territory of the other Church only when invited by the latter's primate.
According to Lisovoy, heads of Orthodox churches came to Bethlehem in 2000, but it was "on invitation of the Patriarch of Jerusalem and All Palestine and not only of Israeli president or Palestinian leader Yassir Arafat."
The historian noted that Arafat participated in the religious meeting in Bethlehem, "he was sitting together with Churches' heads, he had arranged a reception for them, but he wasn't a host, he was an organizer."
"I wander how it might have come to this that patriarchs are coming to the canonical territory of the Moscow Patriarchate on Viktor Ushchenko's invitation! It is as much as the head of Turkish government would invite our Patriarch to Nicea to the place of the ancient Nicean Council. And our patriarch would go there without asking a permission of the local Constantinople patriarch who canonically rules over this territory," Lisovoy said.
He stressed it was "nonsense in church relations" and urged not to mix "apples and oranges."
The historian is convinced that the Constantinople Patriarch's decision to visit Ukraine as well as Ushchenko's invitation is "a straight way to undermine church unity."
"If Ushchenko wanted to tune church relations, particularly with the Constantinople Patriarch, first of all he should contact the Russian Orthodox Church primate as Ukraine canonically belongs to it. However, he didn't do that."
Lisovoy believes that of if Bartholomew I comes to Ukraine, Patriarch Alexy II "shouldn't visit the country."
"We must comment it on church and political level, as we would do if it turned out that, for example, the Georgian Patriarch would decide to visit Ukraine unknown for Alexy II," Lisovoy said.
The Holy Synod of the Constantinople Church has recently informed that Bartholomew I intends to visit Ukraine on Ushchenko's invitation and to participate in celebrations of the 1020th anniversary of Russia's Baptism to be held in July-August.
- Orenburg Metropolitan chairs a requiem for the officer killed in Syria 06 May 2016, 15:04
- Unidentified criminal threw three grenades to a church in Donbass 04 May 2016, 14:47
- Jewish people's answer to Holocaust should be growth and prosperity of Jewry - rabbi Lazar 04 May 2016, 14:43
- Diocese stands a 1.5 meter Easter cake decorated with a copy of the cathedral for Yakutsk residents to treat 04 May 2016, 10:05
- Easter cakes delivered to Russian soldiers in Syria 04 May 2016, 10:00
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates cosmonauts of the International Space Station on Easter 02 May 2016, 16:18
- About 4 million people prayed at night services in Russia - the Ministry of Internal Affairs 01 May 2016, 16:24
- Putin congratulates Orthodox Christians, all Russians on Easter 01 May 2016, 15:56
- Contact group calls for Easter ceasefire to be declared in Donbas - Gryzlov 29 April 2016, 17:03
- Three-fourths of Russians do not observe the Great Lent, but plan to celebrate Easter 29 April 2016, 14:14
- Moscow Patriarchate's Ukrainian Orthodox Church complains to EU embassies, campaigners about religious organizations bill 29 April 2016, 10:03
- Christ would join Communists for May 1 demonstration - Zyuganov 29 April 2016, 10:02
- Russians now hope for God's help more - poll 28 April 2016, 17:19
- Patriarch Kirill calls inflow of refugees to Europe "colossal challenge" 28 April 2016, 14:44
- UOC priest's wife killed in Dnepropetrovsk 28 April 2016, 11:10
- Russian Intelligence Directorate: Some govts attempting to use jihadists to overthrow al-Assad 27 April 2016, 18:19
- Georgian president pardons 95 prisoners for Easter 27 April 2016, 15:49
- Religious extremism propaganda in media and Internet to be punished by sentence of up to eight years in Uzbekistan 27 April 2016, 13:26
- Russian bikers deliver icons to churches of the Moscow Patriarchate in Africa 27 April 2016, 12:32
- Putin, Slovenian leader agreed to honor the centenary of the Russian chapel near Vrsic 27 April 2016, 10:02
- Chernobyl cleanup effort demonstrated unity between Russians, Ukrainians - Patriarch Kirill 26 April 2016, 15:52
- Poroshenko promises not to allow legalizing gay 'marriages' in Ukraine 26 April 2016, 12:52
- Museum director faces criminal charges of failing to return 16 icons from U.S. to Russia 26 April 2016, 10:01
- Ukrainian producer beats girls coming from a disco with pussy-willow branches 25 April 2016, 15:26
- Signatures for banning abortions to be collected in Russian churches 25 April 2016, 15:24
- Unknown individuals made an attempt to set fire to Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Moscow Patriarchate 25 April 2016, 15:06
- DPR authorities intend to lift curfew on Easter night 25 April 2016, 10:52
- Poroshenko calls for one united local Orthodox Church in Ukraine 25 April 2016, 10:25
- Cross in a church in West Ukraine starts bleeding, the church rector claims 22 April 2016, 17:41
- The Church welcomes reasonable critics of Pan-Orthodox Council's documents 22 April 2016, 15:15