04 July 2008, 14:14
Patriarch Bartholomew's intention to visit Ukraine behind Alexy II back is a hostile act against Russia, a historian believes
Moscow, July 4, Interfax - A Russian historian believes that if Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople comes to the church-state festival ceremonies in Ukraine without Alexy II invitation, it will be the next hostile act of his Church against Russia.
"Since 1917 the Constantinople Church has always tried to work against Russia and the Russian Orthodox Church. It works in alliance with NATO to tear Ukraine away from Russia," the Imperial Orthodox Palestinian Society deputy chairman Dr. Nikolay Lisovoy told Interfax-Religion on Friday.
Thus, he further said that the Patriarch Bartholomew's visit is rather "a political than a church matter."
The interviewee of the agency reminded that in compliance with local Church rules, Patriarch of an Orthodox Church could visit the canonical territory of the other Church only when invited by the latter's primate.
According to Lisovoy, heads of Orthodox churches came to Bethlehem in 2000, but it was "on invitation of the Patriarch of Jerusalem and All Palestine and not only of Israeli president or Palestinian leader Yassir Arafat."
The historian noted that Arafat participated in the religious meeting in Bethlehem, "he was sitting together with Churches' heads, he had arranged a reception for them, but he wasn't a host, he was an organizer."
"I wander how it might have come to this that patriarchs are coming to the canonical territory of the Moscow Patriarchate on Viktor Ushchenko's invitation! It is as much as the head of Turkish government would invite our Patriarch to Nicea to the place of the ancient Nicean Council. And our patriarch would go there without asking a permission of the local Constantinople patriarch who canonically rules over this territory," Lisovoy said.
He stressed it was "nonsense in church relations" and urged not to mix "apples and oranges."
The historian is convinced that the Constantinople Patriarch's decision to visit Ukraine as well as Ushchenko's invitation is "a straight way to undermine church unity."
"If Ushchenko wanted to tune church relations, particularly with the Constantinople Patriarch, first of all he should contact the Russian Orthodox Church primate as Ukraine canonically belongs to it. However, he didn't do that."
Lisovoy believes that of if Bartholomew I comes to Ukraine, Patriarch Alexy II "shouldn't visit the country."
"We must comment it on church and political level, as we would do if it turned out that, for example, the Georgian Patriarch would decide to visit Ukraine unknown for Alexy II," Lisovoy said.
The Holy Synod of the Constantinople Church has recently informed that Bartholomew I intends to visit Ukraine on Ushchenko's invitation and to participate in celebrations of the 1020th anniversary of Russia's Baptism to be held in July-August.
- Sberbank chief in favor of developing Islamic banking in Russia 29 May 2015, 18:36
- Tajik Supreme Court brands ISIL as terrorist organization 29 May 2015, 15:07
- Moscow authorities caution gays from holding parade 29 May 2015, 13:49
- Attackers of Russian church and school will be found, German deputy believes 29 May 2015, 12:15
- Tajik OMON commander confirms he is fighting alongside IS for Muslim rights in Syria 28 May 2015, 13:01
- Member of Tajikistan Islamic Renaissance Party punished for polygamy 28 May 2015, 12:13
- Patriarch Kirill among ten Russians, compatriots trust most of all 28 May 2015, 11:12
- Patriarch Kirill's page in VKontakte was viewed more than a million times for the first three days 27 May 2015, 18:08
- Russia answers to the cast challenge with the splash of optimism 26 May 2015, 17:10
- Mass abortions in Russia contradict to international legal norms, renowned priest believes 26 May 2015, 10:08
- Hundreds of polygamous marriages are made in Moscow according to Sharia law every year - mufti 25 May 2015, 18:09
- Moscow Patriarchate church set on fire in northwestern Ukraine 25 May 2015, 15:13
- Moscow condemns Friday bomb attack at Saudi mosque 25 May 2015, 10:56
- Putin says Russian Orthodox Church remains leading spiritual component of society 25 May 2015, 10:10
- Mikhalkov tells how his father did not let Greek monks to occupy Russian monastery on Mount Athos 22 May 2015, 14:46
- Russia has no plans to legalize polygamy - Mizulina 22 May 2015, 12:58
- Church insists on adopting the law excluding abortions from the system of compulsory medical insurance 22 May 2015, 12:47
- Patriarch Kirill speaks of Orthodox believers' contribution to the Victory and urges to keep it in memory 20 May 2015, 15:56
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin accuses enemies of traditional family of attacking Chechnya 20 May 2015, 10:22
- Polygamy prohibited in Russia; Kremlin not taking part in debate - Peskov 20 May 2015, 10:06
- Belarus seeks extradition of self-proclaimed Kiev Patriarchate priest suspected of fraud 19 May 2015, 15:17
- Bill cancelling mandatory health insurance coverage for abortions submitted to State Duma 19 May 2015, 10:42
- Dozens of priests leave Ukraine, 19 churches of Moscow Patriarchate seized - Russian Orthodox Church representative 18 May 2015, 18:15
- Qiwi denies participation in Islamic State financing schemes 18 May 2015, 17:57
- Over 80% of Russians against same-sex "marriages" 18 May 2015, 17:48
- Priests, opponents of same-sex relationships disrupt gay pride parade in Chisinau 18 May 2015, 11:56
- Head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church calls for halt of infowar between Ukraine, Russia 15 May 2015, 17:52
- Tajik riot police commander may be fighting with Islamic State in Syria - sources 14 May 2015, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill invited to Cuba 12 May 2015, 10:09
- UOC primate did not stand up to honor ATO participants in Rada 12 May 2015, 10:08