04 July 2008, 14:14
Patriarch Bartholomew's intention to visit Ukraine behind Alexy II back is a hostile act against Russia, a historian believes
Moscow, July 4, Interfax - A Russian historian believes that if Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople comes to the church-state festival ceremonies in Ukraine without Alexy II invitation, it will be the next hostile act of his Church against Russia.
"Since 1917 the Constantinople Church has always tried to work against Russia and the Russian Orthodox Church. It works in alliance with NATO to tear Ukraine away from Russia," the Imperial Orthodox Palestinian Society deputy chairman Dr. Nikolay Lisovoy told Interfax-Religion on Friday.
Thus, he further said that the Patriarch Bartholomew's visit is rather "a political than a church matter."
The interviewee of the agency reminded that in compliance with local Church rules, Patriarch of an Orthodox Church could visit the canonical territory of the other Church only when invited by the latter's primate.
According to Lisovoy, heads of Orthodox churches came to Bethlehem in 2000, but it was "on invitation of the Patriarch of Jerusalem and All Palestine and not only of Israeli president or Palestinian leader Yassir Arafat."
The historian noted that Arafat participated in the religious meeting in Bethlehem, "he was sitting together with Churches' heads, he had arranged a reception for them, but he wasn't a host, he was an organizer."
"I wander how it might have come to this that patriarchs are coming to the canonical territory of the Moscow Patriarchate on Viktor Ushchenko's invitation! It is as much as the head of Turkish government would invite our Patriarch to Nicea to the place of the ancient Nicean Council. And our patriarch would go there without asking a permission of the local Constantinople patriarch who canonically rules over this territory," Lisovoy said.
He stressed it was "nonsense in church relations" and urged not to mix "apples and oranges."
The historian is convinced that the Constantinople Patriarch's decision to visit Ukraine as well as Ushchenko's invitation is "a straight way to undermine church unity."
"If Ushchenko wanted to tune church relations, particularly with the Constantinople Patriarch, first of all he should contact the Russian Orthodox Church primate as Ukraine canonically belongs to it. However, he didn't do that."
Lisovoy believes that of if Bartholomew I comes to Ukraine, Patriarch Alexy II "shouldn't visit the country."
"We must comment it on church and political level, as we would do if it turned out that, for example, the Georgian Patriarch would decide to visit Ukraine unknown for Alexy II," Lisovoy said.
The Holy Synod of the Constantinople Church has recently informed that Bartholomew I intends to visit Ukraine on Ushchenko's invitation and to participate in celebrations of the 1020th anniversary of Russia's Baptism to be held in July-August.
- Xenophobia and Islamophobia become main trends in Europe in 2015 - ECRI report 26 May 2016, 18:02
- Terrorists in Syria are destined to fail - Patriarch Kirill 26 May 2016, 16:45
- Putin to travel to Holy Mount Athos on second day of his visit to Greece 26 May 2016, 13:33
- Two Moscow Patriarchate churches burgled in western Ukraine 26 May 2016, 12:15
- Church of Moscow Patriarchate set on fire in Kiev 24 May 2016, 15:09
- Russian Church urges to international control over currency issue and criticized offshores 24 May 2016, 13:17
- Russia stronger than West because it has more perfect weapon, prayer - Patriarch Kirill 23 May 2016, 12:04
- Lukashenko proposes arrangement of meeting between Pontiff and Patriarch of Moscow for sake of peace in Donbass (updated) 23 May 2016, 10:57
- LGBT pride parade not held in Chisinau, its participates evacuated for security reasons 23 May 2016, 10:36
- Europe became a part of the Islamic world long ago, renowned political expert believes 23 May 2016, 10:32
- Turkey, Saudi Arabia and Qatar aims at eliminating Syria as a secular state, an expert believes 23 May 2016, 10:29
- Residences of suspected ISIL recruiters being searched in St. Petersburg 20 May 2016, 11:53
- Ukraine's political conjuncture, church schism temporary - Patriarch Kirill 20 May 2016, 10:13
- Spread of same-sex marriage puts world in moral catastrophe - Zorkin 20 May 2016, 10:04
- Islamic radicals successfully recruit supporters due to increasing displeasure with Western policies - Zorkin 20 May 2016, 10:01
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Catholics to defend Christians' rights in the world together 20 May 2016, 10:00
- Russian Church destined to change Western attitude to Christianity - Patriarch Kirill 19 May 2016, 17:43
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Athos in late May 19 May 2016, 17:10
- Pavlensky given 1.5-year sentence for setting fire to car tires near the Savior on Spilt Blood Church in St. Petersburg 19 May 2016, 17:08
- Imams of five mosques detained in Tajikistan on extremism accusations 19 May 2016, 11:29
- American OSCE staff member in Donbass adopts Orthodoxy 18 May 2016, 20:39
- Odessa priest becomes the champion of Ukraine in powerlifting 18 May 2016, 11:57
- Sochi resident sentenced to 4.5 years for incitement to religious hatred in social media 17 May 2016, 15:12
- Homosexuals give up the idea to hold an action in Tbilisi fearing for their safety 17 May 2016, 10:00
- Every forth Russian woman, who turned to the Health Ministry consultative centers, refused abortion 16 May 2016, 17:17
- Most northern church in honor of St. Matrona of Moscow to be built in Yakutia 16 May 2016, 12:12
- Western Europe experiences moral catastrophe - Patriarch Kirill 16 May 2016, 10:00
- Kremlin urges to immediately react on growing religious intolerance in the West 13 May 2016, 17:44
- Existence of Crimea outside of Russia was absurd, the Russian church official believes 13 May 2016, 10:00
- Poklonskaya announces arrest of four Hizb ut-Tahrir supporters in Crimea 12 May 2016, 18:38