04 July 2008, 15:46
Russian priest calls "shameless" the intent of Bartholomew I to visit Ukraine without invitation of Alexy II
Moscow, July 4, Interfax - The intent of Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople to visit Ukraine without prior consent of Patriarch Alexy II shows his full disregard of the Russian Church, Archpriest Dimitry Smirnov, head of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for Relations with the Armed Forces, says.
"Such attitude of Constantinople patriarchs to canons, history, and this country is shameless. Nothing can explain it to Russians. May be it is some inner irritation which drowns historical gratitude which they should feel," Fr. Dimitry said Friday to Interfax-Religion.
"We feel completely ignored - there is no canons, no Russian Patriarch, and no Russian Church," Fr. Dimitry said.
This is how he commented the intent of Bartholomew I to attend the celebration of 1020th anniversary of Baptism of Russia in Ukraine by the invitation of Victor Yushenko but without the relevant invitation by Alexy II.
According to Fr. Dimitry, this invitation of Bartholomew I to Ukraine and attempts to establish the independent of Moscow Orthodox Church in this country were the "result of consultations by Yushchenko's allies who helped him to come to power and hold it."
"This is one segment of the global politics which is aimed at making troubles for Russia," Fr. Dimitry said.
Commenting prior statements and actions of some members of Constantinople Patriarchate aimed at supporting the Ukrainian church separatists, Fr. Dimitry said, "The fact that the American Ambassador in Ukraine was prohibited to go to Moscow Patriarchate churches, proves that the USA Administration has direct relation to all the above. It is quite evident, who they support."
According to Fr. Dimitry, "the Constantinople Church and the Ellada Church owe to tens of thousands Russian people who gave their lives for the freedom and independence of Greeks."
"Therefore, this dislike to Russians and Russia which we now feel from Greeks (Greeks are a majority of believers and clergy of the Constantinople Church - IF) is very regrettable."
According to Fr. Dimitry, the existence of ancient Greek Patriarchates has for centuries "depended on the Russian empire." "If we come to Greek Athos, we see Russian icons and Russian chandeliers. The Simonopetra Monastery restoration was paid by Russian money," Fr. Dimitry said.
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11
- Kadyrov waiting for Zyuganov's apology for remarks on Lenin's burial 07 November 2017, 10:07
- Putin offers Trump condolences over Texas tragedy 07 November 2017, 10:02
- Mausoleum is, must remain Lenin's burial place – Zyuganov 02 November 2017, 18:04
- Head of human rights council suggests turning Mausoleum into museum, selling tickets to enter it, think of Lenin's body as pharaoh's mummy 02 November 2017, 17:26
- Majority of Russian Protestants unlike western stand for traditional morals - Metropolitan Hilarion 02 November 2017, 16:37
- Patriarch Kirill invites Patriarch Ilia II to Moscow to celebrate 100th anniversary of restoration of Russian patriarchate 02 November 2017, 16:36
- Lenin's burial not on Kremlin agenda - Peskov 02 November 2017, 13:33
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes 'color' revolutions for using quasi-religious rhetoric 02 November 2017, 10:01
- Church representative speaks against renaming the October Revolution to "Russian" one 01 November 2017, 16:30
- Russian Jews point out to Patriarch Kirill’s special role in opposing Anti-Semitism and xenophobia 01 November 2017, 14:00
- Patriarch Kirill: if we do not educate our people, others will do it 01 November 2017, 13:29
- President and patriarch opens a monument to victims of repressions in Moscow 31 October 2017, 10:52
- Patriarch Kirill fears total control over people via gadgets 31 October 2017, 10:28