04 July 2008, 15:46
Russian priest calls "shameless" the intent of Bartholomew I to visit Ukraine without invitation of Alexy II
Moscow, July 4, Interfax - The intent of Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople to visit Ukraine without prior consent of Patriarch Alexy II shows his full disregard of the Russian Church, Archpriest Dimitry Smirnov, head of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for Relations with the Armed Forces, says.
"Such attitude of Constantinople patriarchs to canons, history, and this country is shameless. Nothing can explain it to Russians. May be it is some inner irritation which drowns historical gratitude which they should feel," Fr. Dimitry said Friday to Interfax-Religion.
"We feel completely ignored - there is no canons, no Russian Patriarch, and no Russian Church," Fr. Dimitry said.
This is how he commented the intent of Bartholomew I to attend the celebration of 1020th anniversary of Baptism of Russia in Ukraine by the invitation of Victor Yushenko but without the relevant invitation by Alexy II.
According to Fr. Dimitry, this invitation of Bartholomew I to Ukraine and attempts to establish the independent of Moscow Orthodox Church in this country were the "result of consultations by Yushchenko's allies who helped him to come to power and hold it."
"This is one segment of the global politics which is aimed at making troubles for Russia," Fr. Dimitry said.
Commenting prior statements and actions of some members of Constantinople Patriarchate aimed at supporting the Ukrainian church separatists, Fr. Dimitry said, "The fact that the American Ambassador in Ukraine was prohibited to go to Moscow Patriarchate churches, proves that the USA Administration has direct relation to all the above. It is quite evident, who they support."
According to Fr. Dimitry, "the Constantinople Church and the Ellada Church owe to tens of thousands Russian people who gave their lives for the freedom and independence of Greeks."
"Therefore, this dislike to Russians and Russia which we now feel from Greeks (Greeks are a majority of believers and clergy of the Constantinople Church - IF) is very regrettable."
According to Fr. Dimitry, the existence of ancient Greek Patriarchates has for centuries "depended on the Russian empire." "If we come to Greek Athos, we see Russian icons and Russian chandeliers. The Simonopetra Monastery restoration was paid by Russian money," Fr. Dimitry said.
- Muslim sheep slaughter to be banned in Moscow during Eid al-Adha feast 01 October 2014, 10:08
- Two prosecuted following police van incident near Moscow mosque 30 September 2014, 16:10
- Seven female Islamists apprehended in Kyrgyzstan 30 September 2014, 12:50
- Parishioners of the Moscow Mosque of the Council of Mufti attacked the police bus 29 September 2014, 15:50
- Russia picks Zvyagintsev's Leviathan for Oscar 29 September 2014, 10:08
- Police raid St. Petersburg Scientology church as part of fraud probe 29 September 2014, 10:06
- Up to 50,000 militants fight for Islamic State - Patrushev 26 September 2014, 12:04
- Two jailed in Azerbaijan for plotting mosque bombing 26 September 2014, 11:49
- Ukrainian Army occupied a church in Donetsk and fires from it 26 September 2014, 10:20
- Putin praises Russian Jews' role in consolidating interfaith harmony 26 September 2014, 10:07
- Ban on gay propaganda among minors doesn't restrict sexual minorities' rights - Russian Constitutional Court 26 September 2014, 10:05
- Israel ready to extradite Russian priest Grozovsky - source (updated) 25 September 2014, 18:11
- Patriarch Kirill hopes to visit Latvia 25 September 2014, 15:40
- The Menorah memorial desecrated with swastika in Babiy Yar 25 September 2014, 14:49
- Patriarch Kirill denies being vehicle of Kremlin policy 25 September 2014, 09:57
- Dissenters take over Orthodox church in Rovno Region of Ukraine 24 September 2014, 14:35
- Over 20,000 Hasidics arrive in Uman to celebrate New Year 24 September 2014, 14:15
- Hasidic pilgrims not afraid of traveling to Ukraine - border guards 24 September 2014, 10:50
- Russian religious leaders send anniversary greetings to Interfax 23 September 2014, 15:04
- Israeli embassy in Russia confirms Grozovsky detention 22 September 2014, 12:45
- State sovereignty is more important than camembert and jamon, leader of Russia's Jewish community believes 22 September 2014, 10:17
- Moscow to host Quran intl recitation contest on September 20 19 September 2014, 15:14
- Cross set up in Belgrade to commemorate defenders of the city during the First World War 19 September 2014, 11:12
- Ukrainian Army shells Donetsk monastery 18 September 2014, 16:53
- Russia and Vatican to hold art exhibition on Biblical themes 18 September 2014, 10:10
- Sts Martha and Mary Convent in Moscow decorated with a Japanese symbol 18 September 2014, 10:01
- Released Lugansk priest claims pilot Savchenko suggested to divide them to organs 17 September 2014, 10:22
- Ukrainian bishop believes the country's authorities Satanic 16 September 2014, 12:15
- Two Hizb ut-Tahrir activists detained in Kyrgyzstan 16 September 2014, 11:42
- War against Islamic State promises benefit to Russia - religious expert 16 September 2014, 11:33