04 July 2008, 15:46
Russian priest calls "shameless" the intent of Bartholomew I to visit Ukraine without invitation of Alexy II
Moscow, July 4, Interfax - The intent of Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople to visit Ukraine without prior consent of Patriarch Alexy II shows his full disregard of the Russian Church, Archpriest Dimitry Smirnov, head of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for Relations with the Armed Forces, says.
"Such attitude of Constantinople patriarchs to canons, history, and this country is shameless. Nothing can explain it to Russians. May be it is some inner irritation which drowns historical gratitude which they should feel," Fr. Dimitry said Friday to Interfax-Religion.
"We feel completely ignored - there is no canons, no Russian Patriarch, and no Russian Church," Fr. Dimitry said.
This is how he commented the intent of Bartholomew I to attend the celebration of 1020th anniversary of Baptism of Russia in Ukraine by the invitation of Victor Yushenko but without the relevant invitation by Alexy II.
According to Fr. Dimitry, this invitation of Bartholomew I to Ukraine and attempts to establish the independent of Moscow Orthodox Church in this country were the "result of consultations by Yushchenko's allies who helped him to come to power and hold it."
"This is one segment of the global politics which is aimed at making troubles for Russia," Fr. Dimitry said.
Commenting prior statements and actions of some members of Constantinople Patriarchate aimed at supporting the Ukrainian church separatists, Fr. Dimitry said, "The fact that the American Ambassador in Ukraine was prohibited to go to Moscow Patriarchate churches, proves that the USA Administration has direct relation to all the above. It is quite evident, who they support."
According to Fr. Dimitry, "the Constantinople Church and the Ellada Church owe to tens of thousands Russian people who gave their lives for the freedom and independence of Greeks."
"Therefore, this dislike to Russians and Russia which we now feel from Greeks (Greeks are a majority of believers and clergy of the Constantinople Church - IF) is very regrettable."
According to Fr. Dimitry, the existence of ancient Greek Patriarchates has for centuries "depended on the Russian empire." "If we come to Greek Athos, we see Russian icons and Russian chandeliers. The Simonopetra Monastery restoration was paid by Russian money," Fr. Dimitry said.
- Pope Francis arrives in Havana to meet with Patriarch Kirill 12 February 2016, 22:12
- Patriarch Kirill arrives at Havana airport to meet with Pope Francis 12 February 2016, 21:45
- Patriarch Kirill hopeful about upcoming meeting with Pope (updated) 12 February 2016, 19:08
- DPR court hands down first death sentence 12 February 2016, 16:36
- Patriarch Kirill arrives in Cuba for meeting with Pope Francis 12 February 2016, 10:27
- Four Hizb ut-Tahrir members arrested in Crimea 12 February 2016, 10:00
- Pope's superiority as recognized by Catholics not to affect protocol of his meeting with Patriarch Kirill - organizer 11 February 2016, 17:42
- Catholics of Russia praying for success of meeting between patriarch and pope 11 February 2016, 15:08
- Patriarch Kirill and Pope Francis agree upon joint declaration (updated) 11 February 2016, 15:05
- Russian Foreign Ministry welcomes upcoming meeting between Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis (updated) 11 February 2016, 13:57
- Abkhazia has become the third European country with full ban on abortions 11 February 2016, 11:45
- Meeting of Patriarch Kirill and Pope Francis to continue for three hours 11 February 2016, 10:29
- New film about Griboyedov proves not 'outraged Muslim crowd' killed him, Mikhalkov says 10 February 2016, 19:40
- Russian govt not involved in preparing Patriarch-Pope meeting - spokesman 10 February 2016, 10:03
- Russian and Coptic churches support restoration of air contacts between Russia and Egypt 09 February 2016, 17:48
- Abortion ban law adopted in Abkhazia 09 February 2016, 14:42
- Former Yukos shareholders' attempts to claim title to Paris land plot challenged at court - Russian Embassy 09 February 2016, 10:40
- The Russian Church official considers symbolic that the patriarch meets with the pope 'at a crossroad' 09 February 2016, 10:03
- Church dismisses as "hoax" reports about seizure of church construction site in Paris 08 February 2016, 17:37
- Russian diplomats checking reports of Russia's Paris property seizure in Yukos lawsuit 08 February 2016, 17:17
- Patriarch, pope meeting 'a mutual step halfway' between Russia, Western world – Peskov 08 February 2016, 13:17
- Seven ISIL members preparing terror attacks in Moscow, St. Petersburg detained in Yekaterinburg 08 February 2016, 12:54
- Tajikistan's mutiny participants, leaders of outlawed Islamic Renaissance Party to face court 08 February 2016, 12:44
- Georgian Patriarchate asks to provide security to human rights activist from LGBT community 08 February 2016, 10:03
- Patriarch-pope meeting to benefit Christians in Islamic countries - mufti Tajuddin 08 February 2016, 10:02
- Rabbi Kogan blesses the patriarch-pope meeting 08 February 2016, 10:01
- Delaying patriarch-pope meeting "no longer possible" - Russian Orthodox Church 08 February 2016, 10:00
- Meeting between pope, patriarch of Moscow to mark new stage in relations between two Churches - joint statement 05 February 2016, 20:59
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church criticizes Ukraine's Foreign Ministry 05 February 2016, 17:47
- OSCE mission investigate the situation around the church in Ukrainian village of Ptichya 05 February 2016, 16:46