04 July 2008, 15:46
Russian priest calls "shameless" the intent of Bartholomew I to visit Ukraine without invitation of Alexy II
Moscow, July 4, Interfax - The intent of Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople to visit Ukraine without prior consent of Patriarch Alexy II shows his full disregard of the Russian Church, Archpriest Dimitry Smirnov, head of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for Relations with the Armed Forces, says.
"Such attitude of Constantinople patriarchs to canons, history, and this country is shameless. Nothing can explain it to Russians. May be it is some inner irritation which drowns historical gratitude which they should feel," Fr. Dimitry said Friday to Interfax-Religion.
"We feel completely ignored - there is no canons, no Russian Patriarch, and no Russian Church," Fr. Dimitry said.
This is how he commented the intent of Bartholomew I to attend the celebration of 1020th anniversary of Baptism of Russia in Ukraine by the invitation of Victor Yushenko but without the relevant invitation by Alexy II.
According to Fr. Dimitry, this invitation of Bartholomew I to Ukraine and attempts to establish the independent of Moscow Orthodox Church in this country were the "result of consultations by Yushchenko's allies who helped him to come to power and hold it."
"This is one segment of the global politics which is aimed at making troubles for Russia," Fr. Dimitry said.
Commenting prior statements and actions of some members of Constantinople Patriarchate aimed at supporting the Ukrainian church separatists, Fr. Dimitry said, "The fact that the American Ambassador in Ukraine was prohibited to go to Moscow Patriarchate churches, proves that the USA Administration has direct relation to all the above. It is quite evident, who they support."
According to Fr. Dimitry, "the Constantinople Church and the Ellada Church owe to tens of thousands Russian people who gave their lives for the freedom and independence of Greeks."
"Therefore, this dislike to Russians and Russia which we now feel from Greeks (Greeks are a majority of believers and clergy of the Constantinople Church - IF) is very regrettable."
According to Fr. Dimitry, the existence of ancient Greek Patriarchates has for centuries "depended on the Russian empire." "If we come to Greek Athos, we see Russian icons and Russian chandeliers. The Simonopetra Monastery restoration was paid by Russian money," Fr. Dimitry said.
- Leader of Christian State Kalinin may be prosecuted for fomenting hostility - police source 20 September 2017, 18:29
- Putin congratulates Jews on Jewish New Year 20 September 2017, 18:26
- Putin expects that Jewish community will promote religious tolerance in Russia 20 September 2017, 15:57
- Three people suspected of setting fire to cars outside office of Matilda director's lawyer detained 20 September 2017, 14:21
- Kazakhstan plans to set up own school of Islamic studies 19 September 2017, 10:12
- Blogger Sokolovsky's lawyer contests sentence in Sverdlovsk region court 18 September 2017, 14:15
- Navalny's volunteer gets 2 years for religious affiliation 18 September 2017, 14:13
- Kadyrov publishes address by Chechen man imprisoned in Iraq calling on Muslims not to join ISIL 18 September 2017, 11:29
- Turkish terrorists lived in house of Georgian patriarch for several months - Rustavi 2 18 September 2017, 10:00
- Tajikistan, Saudi Arabia decide to cooperate to promote tolerance, counterterrorism 15 September 2017, 11:54
- Russian police ready to curb provocations, ensure security of Matilda film viewers 14 September 2017, 17:21
- Umayyad Mosque in Syria's Aleppo to be restored with Kadyrov Fund money 13 September 2017, 11:52
- FJCR building in suspected Molotov cocktail attack 13 September 2017, 10:00
- Jehovah's Witnesses ask Supreme Court to reverse ruling declaring them extremists 12 September 2017, 16:55
- Victims of the 9/11 terrorist attacks commemorated in Moscow 12 September 2017, 12:04
- No more need for rallies supporting Myanmar Muslims – Kadyrov 11 September 2017, 10:33
- Over 100 people rallying in support for Myanmar's Muslims detained on Palace Square in St. Petersburg 11 September 2017, 10:06
- Erdogan urges Islamic countries to show determination in resolving Myanmar conflict 11 September 2017, 10:00
- Canada should be asked about reports on plans to take gays from Chechnya - Russian Foreign Ministry 08 September 2017, 13:48
- Pressure on Myanmar leadership only to escalate tensions - Russian Foreign Ministry 08 September 2017, 12:17
- Russian Orthodox Church warns Ukrainian president against meddling in Church's internal affairs 07 September 2017, 18:15
- Catholicos of All Armenians heading for Moscow to take part in Karabakh meeting 07 September 2017, 17:00
- Organizer of picket in defense of Rohingya offers to meet Myanmar ambassador to Russia 07 September 2017, 15:20
- Ukraine has right to have autonomous church – Poroshenko 07 September 2017, 12:08
- Moscow authorities deny authorization to picket near Myanmar embassy 07 September 2017, 12:06
- First Turkish aid to Myanmar's Rohingya Muslims to be delivered Thursday - Turkish Red Crescent head 06 September 2017, 19:08
- Tbilisi court sentences priest found guilty of trying to kill patriarch's secretary to 9 years 05 September 2017, 18:17
- Putin against any violence in Myanmar, does not see Kadyrov's remarks as oppositional, asks everyone to calm down 05 September 2017, 10:41
- Russian, Egyptian presidents concerned about situation in Myanmar – Peskov 04 September 2017, 18:56
- Mufti Gainutdin calls on Muslims to participate only in authorized actions following events in Myanmar 04 September 2017, 18:53