04 July 2008, 16:49
Moscow Patriarchate confirms Alexy II is to visit the 1020th anniversary of Russia's Baptism in Kiev
Moscow, July 4, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church doesn't doubt the intention of Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russia to chair the Ukrainian celebrations of the 1020th anniversary of Russia's Baptism.
The Ukrainian presidential secretariat deputy head Yury Bogutsky said at a briefing the day before that Patriarch Alexy had not give a final response whether he would arrive in Kiev and the Synod was to decide if Alexy II or "a representative delegation" would come to the Ukrainian capital. Meanwhile, Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople has already confirmed his intention to visit Kiev, according to Bogutsky, on invitation of Ukrainian president Viktor Yushchenko and Patriarch Alexy II.
The Moscow Patriarchate "is surprised" with such a statement. "Since February, when Viktor Yushchenko invited Patriarch Alexy II to visit Ukraine and participate in the 1020th anniversary of Russia's Baptism, the Russian Orthodox primate has confirmed his intention to see Ukrainian flock more than once," a secretary for inter-Orthodox relations of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations Archpriest Nikolay Balashov told the Interfax-Religion on Friday.
He reminded that Metropolitan Vladimir of Kiev and All Ukraine addressed the same request to the patriarch.
Besides, according to Fr. Nikolay, "Alexy II confirmed his intention to visit Kiev in July (and it wasn't even questioned by either party) during his conversation with Yury Bogutsky as the Patriarch met with him on Yushchenko's personal request."
"The possibility of inviting personally Patriarch of Constantinople to Kiev was also discussed at the meeting, so Bogutsky knows pretty well that the Russian Church primate didn't invite Bartholomew I to Kiev," the interviewee of the agency noted.
He also didn't confirm the information Bogutsky voiced earlier that the patriarchs of Alexandria and Jerusalem were to visit Kiev. According to Fr. Nikolay, primates of the Alexandrian and Jerusalem Churches informed that their representatives would come to Kiev on Alexy II's invitation.
Besides, the Moscow Patriarchate representative is concerned with Bogutsky's statement that Yushchenko intends to initiate discussions on establishing the Ukrainian Local Orthodox Church.
Fr. Nikolay agrees with the Ukrainian state's representative that steps to church unity should keep "within the rules of canonical Orthodoxy." At the same time the priest doubts if it is canonically valid that a secular state "establishes the one Orthodox Church," and the opinion of the Ukrainian presidential secretariat deputy head as the latter believes that the process "should be approved by hierarchs" of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, "the Kiev Patriarchate" and the Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church.
"However, in compliance with canonical requirements, it's impossible to compare canonical and recognized as such by the entire Orthodox world the Ukrainian Orthodox Church to non-canonical Ukrainian Autocephalous Church and moreover to "the Kiev Patriarchate," headed by the person alienated from the Orthodox Church," the interviewee of the agency noted.
- In order to come to Russia Dalai Lama must quit politics - Lavrov 28 August 2014, 10:13
- Wahhabism supporters use Internet to campaign for extremism - Kadyrov 26 August 2014, 17:47
- Kadyrov asks clergy to resist early marriages in Chechnya 26 August 2014, 14:58
- Yamalo-Nenets authorities deny violations of Muslims' rights at local prison 26 August 2014, 14:57
- Russian social network VK says Islamic State accounts blocked 26 August 2014, 10:05
- Church burns down in Donetsk as shell hits is - diocese 26 August 2014, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill again calls on UN, Council of Europe, OSCE to help stop fighting in Ukraine 25 August 2014, 17:08
- Ukrainian army deliberately targets orthodox churches - archbishop of Gorlovka 25 August 2014, 16:55
- Pope Francis sends greetings to Ukraine on Independence Day 25 August 2014, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill asks Poroshenko to stop war, prays for its victims 25 August 2014, 10:16
- Shell damages Donetsk mosque 22 August 2014, 14:20
- Islamists killing of U.S. reporter Foley is barbaric - Moscow 22 August 2014, 11:21
- Historical muftiate revived in Crimea 22 August 2014, 11:09
- Ukrainian shell hits church in central Lugansk 21 August 2014, 16:21
- Clerics bless humanitarian aid sent to Ukraine 21 August 2014, 13:44
- Twice as many churches to be built in Moscow in frames of Program 200 20 August 2014, 13:25
- Church from Moscow Program-200 can be included in world’s five masterpieces of mosaic art 20 August 2014, 13:21
- Patriarch Kirill demands intl protection of Orthodox Christians in Ukraine 20 August 2014, 10:13
- Deputy mufti murder in Vladikavkaz 18 August 2014, 11:42
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church urges gunmen in eastern Ukraine to lay down arms 18 August 2014, 10:06
- Patriarch Kirill: Uniates, schismatics seeking to eradicate Orthodoxy in Ukraine 18 August 2014, 10:05
- Patriarch Kirill sends greetings to Metropolitan Onufry 18 August 2014, 10:03
- Metropolitan Onufry enthroned as primate of Ukrainian Church 18 August 2014, 10:01
- Court suspends Kharkov authorities' resolution giving Russian senator title of Kharkiv freeman for building churches 15 August 2014, 12:50
- N. Korea's missile test-launch not connected with arrival of Pope Francis in Seoul - Pyongyang 15 August 2014, 12:43
- Far-right groups threaten Kiev Region priest with reprisals 15 August 2014, 11:54
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church ready for dialogue with "Kiev Patriarchate", Autocephalous Church 15 August 2014, 11:05
- Production of Kosher food boosts thanks to sanctions 15 August 2014, 10:04
- Leaders of Jamaat Ansarullah Tajik wing killed in Afghanistan 15 August 2014, 10:03
- Rabbi calls for terrorists in Iraq, Syria to be ruthlessly killed, their sponsors tried in The Hague 15 August 2014, 10:01