04 July 2008, 16:49
Moscow Patriarchate confirms Alexy II is to visit the 1020th anniversary of Russia's Baptism in Kiev
Moscow, July 4, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church doesn't doubt the intention of Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russia to chair the Ukrainian celebrations of the 1020th anniversary of Russia's Baptism.
The Ukrainian presidential secretariat deputy head Yury Bogutsky said at a briefing the day before that Patriarch Alexy had not give a final response whether he would arrive in Kiev and the Synod was to decide if Alexy II or "a representative delegation" would come to the Ukrainian capital. Meanwhile, Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople has already confirmed his intention to visit Kiev, according to Bogutsky, on invitation of Ukrainian president Viktor Yushchenko and Patriarch Alexy II.
The Moscow Patriarchate "is surprised" with such a statement. "Since February, when Viktor Yushchenko invited Patriarch Alexy II to visit Ukraine and participate in the 1020th anniversary of Russia's Baptism, the Russian Orthodox primate has confirmed his intention to see Ukrainian flock more than once," a secretary for inter-Orthodox relations of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations Archpriest Nikolay Balashov told the Interfax-Religion on Friday.
He reminded that Metropolitan Vladimir of Kiev and All Ukraine addressed the same request to the patriarch.
Besides, according to Fr. Nikolay, "Alexy II confirmed his intention to visit Kiev in July (and it wasn't even questioned by either party) during his conversation with Yury Bogutsky as the Patriarch met with him on Yushchenko's personal request."
"The possibility of inviting personally Patriarch of Constantinople to Kiev was also discussed at the meeting, so Bogutsky knows pretty well that the Russian Church primate didn't invite Bartholomew I to Kiev," the interviewee of the agency noted.
He also didn't confirm the information Bogutsky voiced earlier that the patriarchs of Alexandria and Jerusalem were to visit Kiev. According to Fr. Nikolay, primates of the Alexandrian and Jerusalem Churches informed that their representatives would come to Kiev on Alexy II's invitation.
Besides, the Moscow Patriarchate representative is concerned with Bogutsky's statement that Yushchenko intends to initiate discussions on establishing the Ukrainian Local Orthodox Church.
Fr. Nikolay agrees with the Ukrainian state's representative that steps to church unity should keep "within the rules of canonical Orthodoxy." At the same time the priest doubts if it is canonically valid that a secular state "establishes the one Orthodox Church," and the opinion of the Ukrainian presidential secretariat deputy head as the latter believes that the process "should be approved by hierarchs" of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, "the Kiev Patriarchate" and the Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church.
"However, in compliance with canonical requirements, it's impossible to compare canonical and recognized as such by the entire Orthodox world the Ukrainian Orthodox Church to non-canonical Ukrainian Autocephalous Church and moreover to "the Kiev Patriarchate," headed by the person alienated from the Orthodox Church," the interviewee of the agency noted.
- Russian Orthodox priests to consecrate all oceans on Epiphany eve 18 January 2018, 15:58
- Continued attacks on churches of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church 17 January 2018, 16:42
- Priest Grozovsky to appeal 14-year pedophilia sentence 17 January 2018, 10:32
- Priest Grozovsky gets 14 years in high-security prison for pedophilia 17 January 2018, 10:12
- Directorate of Muslims of Uzbekistan disagrees with U.S. State Dept analysis of religious freedom in republic 15 January 2018, 16:24
- Putin's comparison of Lenin Mausoleum to veneration of holy relics not sensational - Peskov 15 January 2018, 14:08
- Putin defines New Valaam Monastery relics saved by Finland as unifying force 15 January 2018, 10:44
- Putin's words about similarity of Communism, Christianity smooth things over Lenin Mausoleum - CPRF 15 January 2018, 10:43
- Communist ideology similar to Christianity - Putin 15 January 2018, 10:00
- Russians have become more intolerant to treachery, abortions and homosexual connections for twenty years - poll 11 January 2018, 17:56
- Brother of leader of Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan calls on extremists to 'open their eyes' 11 January 2018, 17:39
- Orthodox children in Syrian Latakia received Christmas gifts from Moscow parish 09 January 2018, 18:41
- St. Petersburg among Russia's top three most popular places to spend Orthodox Christmas 09 January 2018, 14:36
- Patriarch Kirill concerned by social disintegration 07 January 2018, 16:57
- Church not going to hinder expert work on "Yekaterinburg remains" - Patriarch Kirill 07 January 2018, 16:56
- Putin offers Christmas greetings to Orthodox Christians 07 January 2018, 11:18
- Russia can have twice as many churches in 30 years - Metropolitan Hilarion 26 December 2017, 18:26
- Not less than 120 churches in Syria need to be restored - Metropolitan Hilarion 26 December 2017, 18:02
- Priestly ordination gives Feodor Konyukhov special power, his wife believes 25 December 2017, 16:31
- No one needs conflict in Donbass, it weakens all those involved - Patriarch Kirill 25 December 2017, 13:06
- All conditions of prisoner exchange in Donbass approved - Patriarch Kirill 25 December 2017, 11:43
- All ethnic and religious groups, parties and armed groups invited to Syrian National Dialogue Congress - Shoigu 22 December 2017, 17:40
- Scharansky is impressed by positive changes in life of Russian Jews 22 December 2017, 10:51
- Vucic invites Putin to Belgrade for 800th anniversary of autocephaly of Serbian Orthodox Church 20 December 2017, 10:43
- Governors should be evaluated for their affairs, not longevity of their rule, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 18 December 2017, 20:39
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls provocation Trump's decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel capital 18 December 2017, 16:01
- Not only Jews should participate in visits to Auschwitz, president of the Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia believes 18 December 2017, 14:52
- African patriarch predicts great future to Orthodoxy on his continent 08 December 2017, 10:59
- OSCE should take principled stance on discrimination against Christians in Middle East, effectively defend their rights - Lavrov 08 December 2017, 10:21
- Over 120 churches were destroyed in Syria during the war - Patriarch John of Antioch 07 December 2017, 18:08