11 July 2008, 10:03
The Romanian Synod condemns its metropolitan who communed with Uniates, but decided not to punish him
Bucharest, July 11, Interfax - The Romanian Orthodox Holy Synod didn't take any actions against Metropolitan Nicolae of Banat who had communed with Uniates and Bishop Sofronie of Oradea who had blessed water on Epiphany together with a Greek-Catholic hierarch.
"The Holy Synod condemns non-canonical actions of the both hierarchs which concerned the Church. But the Holy Synod considered their repentance as the fist sign of their reformation," a communiques of the Romanian Patriarchate press-service reads as it is published on its official website, the Interfax-Religion has reported.
The Synod points out that it is inadmissible for all hierarchs, priests, deacons, monks and laymen of the Romanian Orthodox Church "to commune in other Christian Church," while all Orthodox clerics cannot "conduct sacraments with clerics of other cults."
"Those who will not follow this decision will be excommuned by the Orthodox Church and subjected to canonical sanctions appropriate for their position in the Church," the Synod's decision notes.
Thus, clerics will be defrocked and laymen will be excommuned, the text reads.
As Interfax-Religion has reported earlier, Metropolitan Nicolae of Banat communed at a liturgy in the Greek-Catholic Church in Timisoara in presence of the apostolic nuncio to Romania Archbishop Francisco Javier Lozano.
Head of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations Metropolitan Kirill asked the head of the Romanian Patriarchate Sector for External Church Relations Bishop Cyprian "to clear up if the Romanian hierarch had indeed communed with non-Orthodox" and to voice the attitude of the Romanian Patriarchate and the Synod to this fact.
- Patriarch Kirill calls on believers to refrain from visiting churches amid coronavirus pandemic 29 March 2020, 20:09
- Opera singer Svetlana Kasyan hospitalized with coronavirus 28 March 2020, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the end of pandemic 28 March 2020, 17:58
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia will give Pesach food sets to all parishioners 28 March 2020, 17:55
- Case of leader of Aum Shinrikyo group in Russia sent to prosecutor 26 March 2020, 19:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't plan to cancel Easter processions 26 March 2020, 16:25
- Russian Orthodox Church shows understanding of Sobyanin's advice not to attend service but says churches will stay open 26 March 2020, 15:08
- Sobyanin asks Muscovites not to visit religious sites 26 March 2020, 10:49
- Ukrainian monasteries will assign premises for Covid-19 patients 25 March 2020, 19:24
- FJCR closes all its synagogues in Russia 25 March 2020, 15:49
- Monastery south of Moscow thrown away dozens of dogs, police was told they miraculously flew away 24 March 2020, 17:40
- Lukashenko on coronavirus: If we get through until Orthodox Easter, we'll live 24 March 2020, 14:40
- Kyrgyz missionary contracts Covid-19 in Pakistan - Kyrgyz Foreign Ministry 23 March 2020, 14:40
- Georgian churches to let in max. 10 people in state of emergency - premier 23 March 2020, 12:29
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia's council postponed due to coronavirus 20 March 2020, 19:52
- Rabbi beaten to death in Dagestan 20 March 2020, 19:12
- Friday prayers cancelled in Moscow's mosques 20 March 2020, 13:33
- Tajikistan lifts ban on joint prayers in mosques 19 March 2020, 19:02
- Russian Orthodox Church does not exclude usage of plastic spoons for Communion 18 March 2020, 16:43
- Chief rabbi of Russia closes his synagogue 18 March 2020, 14:12
- Russian Synod orders increased sanitary measures at all dioceses with coronavirus 18 March 2020, 10:40
- Cathedral of Christ the Savior receives bomb threat on Tue 18 March 2020, 10:38
- Russian Church introduces exceptional measures for coronavirus prevention 17 March 2020, 19:00
- Leader of Pentecostals considers coronavirus a sign of coming Apocalypse 17 March 2020, 14:46
- Moscow's stance on Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem deals with reinstatement of Russia's property rights - Russian Embassy in Israel 17 March 2020, 11:12
- Rectors of Moscow churches will help elderly parishioners to buy and deliver food to their homes 17 March 2020, 11:08
- Russian Orthodox Church won't abolish liturgies even if coronavirus spreads 17 March 2020, 11:05
- Russian Church urges not to panic because of coronavirus 17 March 2020, 11:03
- Moldova closes churches 13 March 2020, 19:56
- Russian Jews reject idea that coronavirus sign of world ending 13 March 2020, 16:22