16 July 2008, 11:40
DNA analysis confirms Yekaterinburg remains are young Romanovs - Investigative Committee (updated)
Moscow, July 16, Interfax - The results of a DNA analysis have confirmed the hypothesis that remains found near Yekaterinburg a year ago are those of Prince Alexey and Grand Duchess Maria Nikolayevna, the Investigative Committee within the Russian prosecution system said in an official statement on Wednesday.
"The scientific results based on a DNA analysis of three genetic systems correlate with the hypothesis that remains of Grand Duchess Maria and Crown Prince Alexey were found in the 'second' burial site," it said.
Nevertheless, Russian scientists will continue their work to complete the analysis and make a final conclusion on the identification of the remains, it said.
The Investigative Committee's main investigations department has completed the principal part of the analyses to identify the remains. It was presumed from the very start that the remains could have been those of last Russian Emperor Nicholas II's relatives or members of his retinue, who were executed in Yekaterinburg early on July 17, 1918.
A burial site containing remains of nine people was uncovered near Yekaterinburg in July 1991. The remains were "later identified as those of members of the family of the last Russian emperor and people from his retinue." However, the remains of Prince Alexey Nikolayevich Romanov and Grand Duchess Maria Nikolayevna Romanova were not among those discovered.
On July 29, 2007, pieces of bones and teeth were found 60 centimeters underground during excavations 70 kilometers to the south of the first burial site, the Investigative Committee said. The remains could not be identified during the excavations, but the location of the burial site and its specifics gave reason to presume that they could have been those of Prince Alexey and Grand Duchess Maria, his sister.
- Kremlin not commenting on end of discussion about monument on Lubyanskaya Square - Peskov 01 March 2021, 14:19
- Moscow Mayor Sobyanin proposes to leave Lubyanskaya Square as it is for now 26 February 2021, 22:42
- Acting leader of Abkhazian Diocese is member of Georgian Church - Georgian Patriarchate 26 February 2021, 17:44
- Search underway on premises of Sredneuralsky Convent 26 February 2021, 17:41
- Defrocked priest Sergy's pretrial detention extended until end of spring 26 February 2021, 10:00
- Armenian Apostolic Church urges politicians to start talks 25 February 2021, 15:04
- Omsk resident fined 375,000 rubles for excusing terror attack in New Zealand 25 February 2021, 11:48
- Yakutian shaman Gabyshev charged with violence against police officer 25 February 2021, 10:45
- Meeting between Russian patriarch, Pope doesn't improve Christians' position in Middle East contrary to expectations - Metropolitan Hilarion 24 February 2021, 10:00
- Muscovites will choose between monuments to Dzerzhinsky, Alexander Nevsky on Lubyanka Square 20 February 2021, 10:03
- Former schema-monk Sergy admits giving bribe amounting to 'millions of dollars' 18 February 2021, 16:30
- World Russian People's Council backs idea of Ivan III monument on Lubyanka Square in Moscow 18 February 2021, 16:11
- FJCR suggests reinstalling fountain at Lubyanka 18 February 2021, 15:30
- Suspected organizer of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Russia's Kemerovo region placed under house arrest 17 February 2021, 14:11
- Police detain man who splashed Holocaust monument in Yerevan with paint 17 February 2021, 13:44
- The giant castle of corona cannibal to be burned in Russia on Maslenitsa 17 February 2021, 12:08
- Lawyers' association supports bill limiting surrogate motherhood in Russia 17 February 2021, 10:00
- FSB detain people suspected of financing ISIL under guise of donations to mosques in Crimea, Tatarstan 16 February 2021, 15:19
- World Union of Old Believers backs idea to place Ivan III monument on Moscow's Lubyanka Square 16 February 2021, 09:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion concerned by detention on non-participants in unsanctioned rallies 15 February 2021, 09:17
- Moscow court arrests 2 Jehovah's Witnesses 15 February 2021, 09:15
- Foreign Intelligence Service head compares those who insult WWII veterans to Nazi collaborators 12 February 2021, 11:53
- Congress of the Leaders of World and Traditional Religions in Kazakhstan postponed to next year 12 February 2021, 11:07
- Sputnik V vaccine halal - Gamaleya Center expert 12 February 2021, 10:03
- Court denies former schema hegumen Sergy right to participate in dispute over church on territory of Sredneuralsky Convent 10 February 2021, 20:39
- Several organizers of Jehovah's Witnesses cell detained in Moscow 10 February 2021, 11:43
- Resident of Russia's Dagestan jailed for 10 years for killing local rabbi 10 February 2021, 11:14
- Tajik authorities classify sentence of opposition Islamic party leader 09 February 2021, 17:35
- The International Day of Human Brotherhood celebrates in Russia for the first time 09 February 2021, 10:13
- Tolerance lessons have already been held for half a million schoolchildren in Russia 09 February 2021, 10:04