29 July 2008, 10:14
Constantinople's jurisdiction over Ukrainian Orthodoxy would deepen religious split in Ukraine - cleric
Kiev, July 29, Interfax - The Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Moscow Patriarchate) doubts that the possible introduction of parallel jurisdiction of the Patriarchate of Constantinople in Ukraine is capable of re-uniting Ukrainian Orthodoxy.
"We think that this model will not work because instead of promoting church unity, the two jurisdictions will in fact remain parallel for a long time, deepening the split in the Ukrainian society," head of the Department for External Church Relations of the Ukrainian Church Archimandrite Kirill (Hovorun) told reporters in Kiev.
The prospect of creating a single Church in Ukraine under two parallel jurisdictions is highly unlikely, he said.
As for the possible unification on the basis of the secessionist "Kiev Patriarchate" and other secessionist structures, that is even less probable, Father Kirill said.
As soon as there emerged an opportunity for the "Kiev Patriarchate" to come under the jurisdiction of the Patriarchate of Constantinople, it immediately relinquished its struggle for the status of the only canonical autocephalous Orthodox Church in Ukraine, the metropolitan said.
"The idea of uniting the Ukrainian Orthodox Church on the basis of the "Kiev Patriarchate" or unrecognized jurisdictions has suffered a fiasco," he said.
In his opinion, the Ukrainian Orthodoxy can only be united "on the basis of the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church - [which is] the most numerous and enjoys the widest support worldwide," Metropolitan Kirill said.
- "Kiev Patriarchate" head threatens to disrupt unification assembly 10 December 2018, 18:28
- SBU officials didn't let Donetsk metropolitan cross contact line 10 December 2018, 16:12
- Poroshenko asks Metropolitan Onufry to help have Ukrainian naval sailors freed 10 December 2018, 11:06
- "Unification gathering" in Ukraine has no legitimacy - Russian Orthodox Church 10 December 2018, 11:02
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Synod says its episcopate, parishioners pressured, persecuted 07 December 2018, 21:52
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Synod denies Bartholomew right to convene meeting in Ukraine, bans its clerics, laypeople from attending it 07 December 2018, 18:36
- Metropolitan Onufry returns to Istanbul invitation to unification assembly 07 December 2018, 17:19
- Russian police find no extremism in Jewish movement Shahar leader's actions 07 December 2018, 12:59
- IOPS to open division in Istanbul despite patriarch Bartholomew's opinion 07 December 2018, 12:13
- Patriarch Bartholomew calls on UOC Metropolitan Onufry to take part in unification assembly 07 December 2018, 12:09
- Ukraine's new Orthodox church will be independent - Poroshenko's entourage 07 December 2018, 10:48
- Patriarch Kirill accuses Poroshenko of interfering in religious affairs 07 December 2018, 10:42
- Russian FM, Vatican sec call for boosting bilateral ties 07 December 2018, 10:40
- Ukrainian authorities use Stalin-era methods to seek tomos - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 06 December 2018, 17:45
- Ukrainian presidential advisor describes future local Ukrainian church 06 December 2018, 16:50
- Ukrainian authorities' accusations of canonical Church are revenge for latter's independence - Russian Church 06 December 2018, 16:38
- Ukrainian Autocephalic Orthodox Church not to nominate candidates for post of head of "unified local church" 06 December 2018, 14:41
- Unification assembly in Ukraine is unacceptable amid repression of Orthodox Christians - Russian Church 06 December 2018, 14:38
- Metropolitan of Sarny and Polesye asks Putin to release Ukrainian sailors 06 December 2018, 11:26
- Filaret won't seek post of head of Ukraine's local autocephalous church 06 December 2018, 11:22
- Orthodox priests from Rovno, Sarny questioned in treason, religious hatred inquiry - Ukrainian Security Service 06 December 2018, 11:19
- Russian embassy outraged by Constantinople 'ascribing' itself Russian church in Pyongyang 06 December 2018, 11:16
- Constantinople not planning to grant autocephaly to Ukrainian church - media 05 December 2018, 17:19
- Russian Orthodox Church calls ECHR decision on Pussy Riot members' appeal blow to legal protection of religious freedom (updated) 05 December 2018, 17:11
- Patriarch Kirill concerned about recent events in Russian-Ukrainian relations – spokesman 05 December 2018, 13:15
- SBU accuses Ukrainian Orthodox Church of spreading materials sowing religious discord (updated) 05 December 2018, 12:32
- SBU unit's behind pressure on Ukrainian Orthodox Church – media 05 December 2018, 11:45
- Unifying Orthodox assembly in Ukraine to be held on Dec 15 – Poroshenko (updated) 05 December 2018, 11:24
- ECHR rejects Russia's request to send application of Pussy Riot members convicted for punk prayer in Moscow cathedral to Grand Chamber 04 December 2018, 19:04
- Organizer of Jehovah's Witnesses meetings indicted in Kamchatka 04 December 2018, 14:11