01 November 2005, 12:05
2 million ethnic Muslims adopted baptism in Russia while only 2,5 thousand Russians converted to Islam - expert
Moscow, November 1, Interfax - The number of ethnic Muslims in Russia who adopted Christianity is 2 million, while the number of the Orthodox who have been converted to Islam is only 2,5 thousand, stated Roman Silantyev, executive secretary of the Inter-religious Council in Russia.
‘Christianization happens not so much as a result of some purposeful missionary activity (in which only Protestants are engaged) as under the influence of Russian culture which has express Christian roots’, Silantyev said in a interview published this week by the Itogi weekly.
According Silantyev, the converts are predominantly Muslims by birth, while ‘those who really confess Islamic values and attend mosque on a regular basis rarely change their faith’.
‘The assimilation of ethnic and religious minorities is an inevitable process in any society. In Russia it is accelerated due to extremist activities’, the Islamic researcher believes.
For instance, he says, as a result of what happened in Beslan, the proportion of Muslims in North Ossetia has decreased at least by 30%, while in Beslan itself, where Muslims had comprised from 30 to 40% of the population, their number has decreased at least by half.
‘As even Muslim sources confirm, after each terrorist action, thousands and may be even dozens of thousands of ethnic Muslims adopt baptism’, Silantyev stated.
At the same time, the expert accounts for the small number of ethnic Orthodox people who have adopted Islam for the last 15 years, among other things, by the fact that ‘for some reason Russians seem to be more willing to join sects than Islam’.
- Russian prosecutors seeking to shut down Church of Last Testament 25 September 2020, 17:34
- Patriarch awards Lavrov the church order of Glory and Honor 23 September 2020, 18:35
- Followers of Church of the Last Testament gave part of their income to sect every month - source 23 September 2020, 18:29
- Two followers in Vissarion's community developed mental disorders - source 23 September 2020, 18:18
- Court arrests 3 leaders of Krasnoyarsk Church of the Last Testament 23 September 2020, 13:07
- Putin bestows Order for Merit to Fatherland, 1st degree on oldest ruling bishop of Russian Orthodox Church 22 September 2020, 17:38
- Berel Lazar invited to Bahrain 22 September 2020, 13:18
- Russian Church wishes Depardieu to stop on Orthodoxy in his spiritual search 21 September 2020, 15:39
- Forty percent of Russia support Lenin reburial, 1 out of every 5 say his body should stay in Mausoleum - poll 18 September 2020, 20:44
- FJCR head views Hasidic pilgrims attempting to enter Ukraine as 'violence against common sense' 18 September 2020, 18:31
- Zelensky's Rosh Hashanah greeting expresses hope for return to normal rhythm of life next year 18 September 2020, 18:26
- No Hasidic pilgrims left on Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 18:23
- The FJCR calls a huge breakthrough recognition of Israel in the Arab Emirates and Bahrain 18 September 2020, 16:46
- Case opened against 2 Baltic Fleet servicemen who washed shoes in holy spring in Orthodox chapel 18 September 2020, 16:32
- Hasidic pilgrims initially heading to Uman begin leaving Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 12:15
- Putin notes Russian Jewish community's role in countering Covid-19, in strengthening peace and accord 18 September 2020, 11:17
- Some 1,000 Hasidic pilgrims expecting permission to enter Ukraine from Belarus 17 September 2020, 15:30
- Minsk accuses Kiev of empty rhetoric, urges it to respect rights of Hasidic pilgrims 17 September 2020, 10:39
- Kiev calls on Belarusian authorities to ensure Hasidic pilgrims adhere to quarantine regulations 16 September 2020, 20:27
- Ukraine urges Belarus to stop raising tensions on border, not to make false statements to Hasidic pilgrims (updated) 16 September 2020, 17:18
- Ukraine closes checkpoint on border with Belarus near which Hasidic pilgrims gathering 16 September 2020, 15:35
- Ukraine unable to let in additional numbers of Hasidic pilgrims due to current situation - Foreign Ministry 16 September 2020, 10:45
- Minsk seeks to agree with Ukraine on green corridor for Hasidic pilgrims 16 September 2020, 10:43
- Pope of Rome to consider possibility of visiting Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:42
- Vatican insists on Archbishop Kondrusiewicz's return to Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:40
- Tents set up for Hasidic pilgrims gathering on Belarus' border with Ukraine 15 September 2020, 20:00
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport, not citizenship 15 September 2020, 18:45
- Ukraine asks Belarus not to allow Hasidic pilgrims gathering at border to cross it 15 September 2020, 18:20
- Man brought down from roof of Alexander Nevsky Monastery in St. Petersburg 14 September 2020, 19:02
- Man on roof of St. Petersburg's Alexander Nevsky Monastery for over ten hours refused to come down 14 September 2020, 15:23