04 September 2008, 16:18
Russian museum of tolerance opens in 2011 to become the world biggest Jewish museum
Moscow, September 4, Interfax - New Russian Museum of tolerance is to open in 2011.
It will be the biggest Jewish museum in the world. Its total area will equal to 17,000 square meters, while the area of exposition dedicated to history of Jewish people is 4,500 square meters, the Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia (FJCR) told Interfax-Religion on Thursday.
Building of the museum will be commenced in 2009 based on the Bakhmetev garage in Obraztsov Street in Moscow. It will house several museum expositions, a library, a scientific center, conference halls and exhibition galleries. The ground floor of the two-storey educational and exhibition complex will be located underground.
The Graft Labs renowned German architectural bureau and the Ralph Appelbaum Associates international design company worked out the concept of interior design.
Speaking at the museum concept presentation, FJCR President Alexander Boroda said, architects managed to settle two tasks at a time: "to preserve the garage building, which is a unique architectural site, and combine top multimedia technologies with traditional forms of museum expositions."
The FJCR and the Garage center of modern culture will realize joint exhibition projects before construction work starts. Ilia Kabakov is to be exhibited first.
The Ralph Appelbaum Associates became famous after constructing exposition of the USA Holocaust Memorial Museum. Besides, its designers worked at William Clinton Presidential library, the National World War I museum and the London transport museum.
The Graft Labs bureau actively cooperates with Hollywood stars and cinema companies and carries out design and architectural projects in Europe and Asia. The Bureau designed Brad Pitt's villa and participated in his charity project to help residents of New Orleans suffered from Hurricane Katrina.
- Metropolitan Hilarion doesn't consider Moscow "the third Rome" 15 July 2019, 12:10
- Church split isn't matter for Russian, Ukrainian presidents - Russian Orthodox Church 15 July 2019, 11:16
- Rights of sexual minorities should not be violated in Russia – Moskalkova 10 July 2019, 14:10
- Priest's statement that women are less smart than men is nonsense - Russian human rights council head 10 July 2019, 11:50
- Holy Synod of Russian Church speaks out against split of Serbian Church in Montenegro 10 July 2019, 10:38
- Lukashenko denies rumors of secret talks he might have with Putin in Valaam 09 July 2019, 12:25
- Almost half of Jewish Europeans considering emigrating over antisemitism - report 08 July 2019, 18:41
- Women less smart than men - head of patriarch's commission 08 July 2019, 17:46
- Filaret 'Moscow's ally' - Orthodox Church of Ukraine 08 July 2019, 17:44
- Georgian priests demand square before parliament be cleared of protesters' banners 08 July 2019, 13:19
- Georgian LGBT community calls off Tbilisi action due to threats 08 July 2019, 12:06
- Putin speaks of pope's favorite writers, Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy 05 July 2019, 13:20
- Pope hails Russia's efforts to protect Christian holy places in Syria – Peskov 05 July 2019, 13:09
- Putin, Pope Francis did not discuss latter's visit to Russia – Peskov 05 July 2019, 13:07
- Putin talked with Pope Francis about protection of Christians in Syria 05 July 2019, 12:14
- Names of submariners killed in Barents Sea to be perpetuated on Kronstadt Naval Cathedral's walls 04 July 2019, 18:28
- Russian Orthodox Church hails contacts between Putin, Vatican 04 July 2019, 17:54
- Putin - Pope Francis meeting lasted exactly one hour (updated) 04 July 2019, 17:06
- Inviting Pope to Russia not to be raised during Putin's visit to Vatican - Ushakov 03 July 2019, 18:22
- Putin in Vatican to discuss restoration of Christian shrines in Syria, Roman Church's humanitarian projects in Donbas, Venezuela 03 July 2019, 18:20
- Filaret declares tomos granted by Constantinople to Ukraine false 02 July 2019, 18:03
- Peskov unaware whether Putin plans to invite Pope to Russia 01 July 2019, 14:39
- The Russian Orthodox Church condemns the law on bishops’ citizenship adopted in Latvia 01 July 2019, 13:29
- Soil from royal family burial site in Yekaterinburg to be re-examined - Memorial of Romanovs foundation 01 July 2019, 10:55
- Elton John musical genius but errs on issue of attitudes towards gays in Russia – Putin 01 July 2019, 10:39
- Russian Orthodox Church offers to set up the rights of embryo in legislation 28 June 2019, 17:35
- Ukraine is turning in Waterloo for Patriarch Bartholomew, the Russian church official believes 28 June 2019, 17:32
- Russian Orthodox Church can change its statute to include Russian exarchate of Constantinople 28 June 2019, 14:12
- Synod of Ukraine's new church deprives Filaret of right to run Kiev Diocese 24 June 2019, 17:53
- Underground church discovered in Moldavia 24 June 2019, 17:49