04 September 2008, 16:18
Russian museum of tolerance opens in 2011 to become the world biggest Jewish museum
Moscow, September 4, Interfax - New Russian Museum of tolerance is to open in 2011.
It will be the biggest Jewish museum in the world. Its total area will equal to 17,000 square meters, while the area of exposition dedicated to history of Jewish people is 4,500 square meters, the Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia (FJCR) told Interfax-Religion on Thursday.
Building of the museum will be commenced in 2009 based on the Bakhmetev garage in Obraztsov Street in Moscow. It will house several museum expositions, a library, a scientific center, conference halls and exhibition galleries. The ground floor of the two-storey educational and exhibition complex will be located underground.
The Graft Labs renowned German architectural bureau and the Ralph Appelbaum Associates international design company worked out the concept of interior design.
Speaking at the museum concept presentation, FJCR President Alexander Boroda said, architects managed to settle two tasks at a time: "to preserve the garage building, which is a unique architectural site, and combine top multimedia technologies with traditional forms of museum expositions."
The FJCR and the Garage center of modern culture will realize joint exhibition projects before construction work starts. Ilia Kabakov is to be exhibited first.
The Ralph Appelbaum Associates became famous after constructing exposition of the USA Holocaust Memorial Museum. Besides, its designers worked at William Clinton Presidential library, the National World War I museum and the London transport museum.
The Graft Labs bureau actively cooperates with Hollywood stars and cinema companies and carries out design and architectural projects in Europe and Asia. The Bureau designed Brad Pitt's villa and participated in his charity project to help residents of New Orleans suffered from Hurricane Katrina.
- Crimean Diocese of Ukrainian Orthodox Church has solidarity with Metropolitan Onufry 16 November 2018, 19:11
- Local church being created is political organization - Metropolitan Onufry 16 November 2018, 16:40
- Vinnitsa clergy refuse to follow their archbishop into 'local' church 16 November 2018, 15:22
- FSB searches apartments of Jehovah's Witnesses members in Crimea's Dzhankoy 16 November 2018, 11:00
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's Metropolitan Simeon to attend "unification" council - media 15 November 2018, 22:20
- U.S. embassy concerned by Kiev's St. Andrew Church attack 15 November 2018, 19:25
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church warns of schemes using its bishops' signatures at unification assembly 15 November 2018, 15:46
- Unknown individuals attack St. Andrew's Church, transferred to Ecumenical Patriarchate, in Kiev 15 November 2018, 15:34
- Dissenting bishops of canonical Ukrainian Church might ignore 'unifying assembly' - Metropolitan Hilarion 15 November 2018, 14:56
- Constantinople deceiving supporters of Ukrainian autocephaly - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 15 November 2018, 12:11
- "Kiev Patriarchate" may nominate Filaret for head of new church 15 November 2018, 12:02
- Date of unification assembly not known yet - "Kiev Patriarchate" 15 November 2018, 11:10
- Upcoming 'uniting' assembly in Ukraine to have negligible canonical consequences - Russian Orthodox Church 14 November 2018, 21:58
- "Unification" council to be held in Ukraine on Nov 22 - media (updated) 14 November 2018, 21:54
- Poroshenko had angry phone call with Metropolitan Onufry - media 14 November 2018, 15:36
- Poroshenko administration refuses to show journalists agreement with Patriarch Bartholomew 14 November 2018, 13:58
- Ukrainian state to protect right to choose church jurisdiction - Poroshenko to Ukrainian hierarchs of Moscow Patriarchate 14 November 2018, 11:15
- Metropolitan Hilarion, Deputy Foreign Minister Karasin discuss Syria's humanitarian crisis, Christians' protection 14 November 2018, 11:08
- Duma proposes drawing up map of Greek churches, monasteries Russian Orthodox believers can visit 14 November 2018, 11:05
- Poroshenko phones Metropolitan Onufry, surprised why archbishops did not come - source 13 November 2018, 21:27
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church eagerly wants to protect its name - Bishop's Council 13 November 2018, 20:00
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church bishops refuse to take part in creation of autocephalous church 13 November 2018, 19:25
- Archbishops' Council of Moscow Patriarchate's Ukrainian Orthodox Church ready to meet with Ukrainian president, but on church soil - statement 13 November 2018, 19:05
- Poroshenko no-show at Kiev Monastery of the Caves to meet with Ukrainian Church clergy 13 November 2018, 17:13
- Metropolitan of Kiev denounces attempts to turn church into 'political tool' 13 November 2018, 17:03
- Chernigov clergy remain committed to canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church 13 November 2018, 16:59
- Zhitomir Diocese supports Metropolitan Onufry 13 November 2018, 10:49
- Serbian Church Council denounces Constantinople's actions in Ukraine 12 November 2018, 18:41
- Putin stresses importance of friendly relations between Russia, Muslim countries 12 November 2018, 15:01
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church not to participate in unifying assembly – chancellor 12 November 2018, 13:29