05 September 2008, 13:51
The Sukhumi-Abkhazian diocese seeks to join the Russian Church
Sukhumi, September 5, Interfax - The Abkhazian Church wants to be self-governed Church under the Moscow Patriarchate, administrator of the Sukhumi-Abkhazian Diocese Fr. Vissarion Aplia told journalists.
Orthodox believers of Abkhazia asked the Moscow Patriarchate for it "more than once before, but the republic wasn't recognized and it was the main obstacle for settling the question," he noted.
"We were in a very hard situation after Georgian-Abkhazian war of 1992-93 and it was the Russian Orthodox Church that extended help to the Abkhazian Church, though we asked the whole Orthodox world for help," the diocesan head said.
"Today when Russia recognized Abkhazia's independence, we intend to ask for settling this question again," Fr. Vissarion further said.
The Russian Orthodox Church stated late in August that though Russia had politically recognized Abkhazia and South Ossetia, it didn't mean changes of canonical territories of the Moscow and Georgian Patriarchates.
"The political decision has been taken and we must respect it because it is based on the unanimous opinion of MPs from both chambers of the Russian parliament," deputy head of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin told Interfax-Religion.
However, the priest further said, "Political decisions don't define church jurisdictions and spheres of pastoral responsibility. These questions should be settled canonically in course of dialogue between the two (Russian and Georgian -IF) Churches."
- Ukrainian state to protect right to choose church jurisdiction - Poroshenko to Ukrainian hierarchs of Moscow Patriarchate 14 November 2018, 11:15
- Metropolitan Hilarion, Deputy Foreign Minister Karasin discuss Syria's humanitarian crisis, Christians' protection 14 November 2018, 11:08
- Duma proposes drawing up map of Greek churches, monasteries Russian Orthodox believers can visit 14 November 2018, 11:05
- Poroshenko phones Metropolitan Onufry, surprised why archbishops did not come - source 13 November 2018, 21:27
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church eagerly wants to protect its name - Bishop's Council 13 November 2018, 20:00
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church bishops refuse to take part in creation of autocephalous church 13 November 2018, 19:25
- Archbishops' Council of Moscow Patriarchate's Ukrainian Orthodox Church ready to meet with Ukrainian president, but on church soil - statement 13 November 2018, 19:05
- Poroshenko no-show at Kiev Monastery of the Caves to meet with Ukrainian Church clergy 13 November 2018, 17:13
- Metropolitan of Kiev denounces attempts to turn church into 'political tool' 13 November 2018, 17:03
- Chernigov clergy remain committed to canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church 13 November 2018, 16:59
- Zhitomir Diocese supports Metropolitan Onufry 13 November 2018, 10:49
- Serbian Church Council denounces Constantinople's actions in Ukraine 12 November 2018, 18:41
- Putin stresses importance of friendly relations between Russia, Muslim countries 12 November 2018, 15:01
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church not to participate in unifying assembly – chancellor 12 November 2018, 13:29
- Patriarch Kirill sends priest to Istanbul to care for Russian believers after severance of relations with Constantinople 12 November 2018, 13:25
- Unification assembly in Ukraine unlikely to be held before end of Nov - media 09 November 2018, 17:20
- Lugansk Diocese supports Metropolitan Onufry 09 November 2018, 10:59
- Rector of Moscow Theological Academy added to Mirotvorets database (updated) 08 November 2018, 18:11
- Ukraine's border service comments on denial of entry to rector of Moscow Theological Academy 08 November 2018, 16:09
- Poroshenko ignored millions of Ukrainians in statement on Russian Orthodox Church's place - Moscow Patriarchate 08 November 2018, 14:58
- Moscow Theological Academy rector barred from Ukraine 08 November 2018, 11:10
- Moscow Patriarchate says Church Poroshenko offered to return 'home to Russia' consists of Ukrainian citizens 08 November 2018, 10:59
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church accuses President Poroshenko of breaking Ukrainian constitution which guarantees church protection 08 November 2018, 10:55
- Activity of radical youth groups sharply increases in Russia - FSB 07 November 2018, 18:56
- Poroshenko signs law on transferring church in Kiev to Ecumenical Patriarchate 07 November 2018, 18:03
- Russian Orthodox Church has no business in Ukraine – Poroshenko 07 November 2018, 14:45
- Russian Church considers opening of additional parishes abroad for its believers in regard of break with Constantinople 06 November 2018, 11:52
- A new science of destructology appears in Russia 06 November 2018, 11:35
- Russian Church doubtful the mental health of Constantinople representative who announced the revision of the ROC's current status 06 November 2018, 11:09
- Ukrainian Church recalls Constantinople that he doesn't exist for more than 500 years 06 November 2018, 10:49