19 September 2008, 16:13
The cultural objects of South Ossetia damaged in the conflict include two churches and a synagogue
Moscow, September 19, Interfax - Two churches and a synagogue are included in the list of 11 objects of cultural heritage of South Ossetia, which have documented destructions from the Georgian army aggression on August 8-12, 2008.
During the battle action the shell hit ruined the southern wall and corner of the church located not far away from the village of Nizhny Tbet; the area of destroyed space is about five meters. The church was built in the late Middle Ages, Rossiyskaya Gazeta reports Friday.
Service premises of the Tskhinvali Church of Nativity of the Blessed Virgin (the former Armenian Church), built in 1718, were destroyed during a massive fire of the city by the Georgian army.
The ancient synagogue located in Tskhinvali also has significant damages. The building requires essential repairs and restoration.
Besides, the Georgian army ruined several graves and tombstones at the memorial cemetery of defenders and civilians who died during the aggression of 1990s and damaged the local chapel.
"An irreparable damage has been inflicted on the original human environment of South Ossetia people. Thereby Georgian authorities have materially violated such basic internationally accepted acts as the Hague Convention for the Protection of Cultural Property in the Event of Armed Conflict, 1954, the Convention Concerning the Protection of the World Cultural and Natural Heritage, 1972, and UNESCO Declaration concerning the Intentional Destruction of Cultural Heritage, 2003," Russian Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Alexander Yakovenko said.
- No religious fanatics ever existed in Kazakhstan - Nazarbayev 18 April 2014, 17:14
- Doctors of Rostov clinic refuse abortions for Easter week 18 April 2014, 16:29
- Church official hopes that West hears Putin’s call to build Europe basing on shared values 18 April 2014, 11:03
- Beijing: Islamists control regional drug trafficking routes 17 April 2014, 16:27
- Russian people, like Noah, urged not to let the world finally sink in sin, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 16 April 2014, 19:21
- Two chapels and baptistery set on fire in Ulyanovsk region 16 April 2014, 17:47
- Alleged ex-activist of Hizb ut-Tahrir going on trial in Moscow 16 April 2014, 17:11
- Gay parades not permitted in Sevastopol or Simferopol 16 April 2014, 16:59
- Two imams banned from mosque service in Kyrgyzstan 16 April 2014, 15:29
- Kadyrov wants to build a mosque in Sevastopol 16 April 2014, 11:49
- Murderer confessed in his crimes after becoming a believer 15 April 2014, 16:11
- Islamic radicals are unpopular in Crimea - expert 15 April 2014, 11:08
- Putin thanks Russia's chief rabbi for contribution in enhancing inter-confession peace 15 April 2014, 10:00
- About 170 tonnes of matzah made for Passover in Russia 14 April 2014, 10:08
- Two militants suspected killers of Dagestan village imam 14 April 2014, 10:00
- Odessa Diocese secretary moves to Moscow for fear of persecution 11 April 2014, 17:27
- WRPC Human Rights Center supports the idea of criminal proceedings against Gorbachev 11 April 2014, 16:31
- Group of Jehovah's Witnesses followers detained in Uzbekistan 11 April 2014, 14:23
- Roman Abramovich spends half million dollars on Passover celebrations 11 April 2014, 10:08
- Village mosque imam killed in Dagestan 11 April 2014, 10:00
- Russian oligarchs start a pilgrimage across Israeli desert 10 April 2014, 11:39
- Radical Islam followers from Europe, Central Asia fight for Syrian militants - Bortnikov 09 April 2014, 14:03
- Assailants of Dagestan madrasah teacher killed in police operation 09 April 2014, 11:24
- Iraqi Sharia court to try Bryansk pedagogue on earthenware smuggling counts 09 April 2014, 10:59
- Kostroma authorities to appeal court ruling over illegality of gay pride parade ban 09 April 2014, 10:13
- Terrorism, Wahhabism neutralized in Chechnya completely – Kadyrov 09 April 2014, 10:04
- Russian Foundation to deliver Holy Fire from Jerusalem to Crimea 09 April 2014, 10:00
- Priest Grozovsky to be extradited to Russia soon 08 April 2014, 19:45
- Activities of 18 intl religious extremists suppressed in four Russian regions - FSB chief 08 April 2014, 12:30
- Russian prosecutors ask Israel to extradite priest accused of child molestation – sources 07 April 2014, 17:01