19 September 2008, 16:13
The cultural objects of South Ossetia damaged in the conflict include two churches and a synagogue
Moscow, September 19, Interfax - Two churches and a synagogue are included in the list of 11 objects of cultural heritage of South Ossetia, which have documented destructions from the Georgian army aggression on August 8-12, 2008.
During the battle action the shell hit ruined the southern wall and corner of the church located not far away from the village of Nizhny Tbet; the area of destroyed space is about five meters. The church was built in the late Middle Ages, Rossiyskaya Gazeta reports Friday.
Service premises of the Tskhinvali Church of Nativity of the Blessed Virgin (the former Armenian Church), built in 1718, were destroyed during a massive fire of the city by the Georgian army.
The ancient synagogue located in Tskhinvali also has significant damages. The building requires essential repairs and restoration.
Besides, the Georgian army ruined several graves and tombstones at the memorial cemetery of defenders and civilians who died during the aggression of 1990s and damaged the local chapel.
"An irreparable damage has been inflicted on the original human environment of South Ossetia people. Thereby Georgian authorities have materially violated such basic internationally accepted acts as the Hague Convention for the Protection of Cultural Property in the Event of Armed Conflict, 1954, the Convention Concerning the Protection of the World Cultural and Natural Heritage, 1972, and UNESCO Declaration concerning the Intentional Destruction of Cultural Heritage, 2003," Russian Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Alexander Yakovenko said.
- Orthodox believers insist on building a church in Moscow City instead of the Eye of Sauron 17 December 2014, 14:15
- NAC: Assaults, extortions are main sources financing religious extremists 16 December 2014, 13:24
- Serbian bishop criticizes NATO expansion and says his people will never support anti-Russian sanctions 15 December 2014, 18:12
- Terrorist leader, who killed imam, is among militants killed in Dagestan 15 December 2014, 18:09
- Serbian bishop condemns schismatics in Ukraine 15 December 2014, 17:58
- Islamic activists in Kyrgyzstan believe there should be no male obstetricians 15 December 2014, 10:09
- Russian diplomat discusses condition of Christians in Mideast, situation in Syria at meetings in Lebanon 15 December 2014, 10:08
- IOPS to present White Book on slain Mideast Christians at UN 15 December 2014, 10:03
- Arab Spring, IS aimed at demonizing Islam - Patriarch Kirill 12 December 2014, 17:49
- National policy should focus on worthy support of Russian people - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 12 December 2014, 17:21
- World Russian People's Council states Ukraine practices tortures based on the CIA technique 12 December 2014, 13:28
- Over seventy Russian graves vandalized in Australian Orthodox cemetery 12 December 2014, 10:02
- Kremlin official slams violence against members of Moscow-ruled Orthodox Church in Ukraine 11 December 2014, 17:51
- Metropolitan Hilarion condemns anti-Christian "genocide" in M. East 11 December 2014, 17:17
- Pope Francis invited to Kazakhstan 10 December 2014, 17:26
- Syria jihad recruiters spotted in southern Kyrgyzstan 10 December 2014, 17:06
- Metropolitan Hilarion believes Nicholas II made a mistake when he joined World War I 09 December 2014, 17:21
- Chapel to commemorate perished home guards to be set up in Saur Mogila 09 December 2014, 14:35
- Orthodox church desecrated and robbed in west Ukraine 08 December 2014, 18:57
- Patriarch Kirill prays for prevention of war between Russia, West 08 December 2014, 13:07
- DNR authorities accuse Kiev in purposeful shelling of churches 08 December 2014, 11:26
- Kadyrov: Family of Wahabis guilty of murder to be evicted from Chechnya 08 December 2014, 10:58
- Russian Supreme Court finds Jehovah's Witnesses' website to be extremist 05 December 2014, 10:09
- Russia should use the period of trial for making a break-through - Berel Lazar 05 December 2014, 10:05
- Crimea has sacral meaning for Russia - Putin 04 December 2014, 15:21
- Kyrgyz police detect Hizb ut-Tahrir group 04 December 2014, 12:32
- Orthodox Christians in Russia, U.S. can improve countries' relationship - Patriarch Kirill 04 December 2014, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill concerned about Donbass blockade, attempts to take over churches in other regions of Ukraine 03 December 2014, 18:12
- Yeshivah student badly beaten in Moscow Region 03 December 2014, 14:45
- Russian parish in Strasbourg lacks money to continue building the church 03 December 2014, 10:04