19 September 2008, 16:13
The cultural objects of South Ossetia damaged in the conflict include two churches and a synagogue
Moscow, September 19, Interfax - Two churches and a synagogue are included in the list of 11 objects of cultural heritage of South Ossetia, which have documented destructions from the Georgian army aggression on August 8-12, 2008.
During the battle action the shell hit ruined the southern wall and corner of the church located not far away from the village of Nizhny Tbet; the area of destroyed space is about five meters. The church was built in the late Middle Ages, Rossiyskaya Gazeta reports Friday.
Service premises of the Tskhinvali Church of Nativity of the Blessed Virgin (the former Armenian Church), built in 1718, were destroyed during a massive fire of the city by the Georgian army.
The ancient synagogue located in Tskhinvali also has significant damages. The building requires essential repairs and restoration.
Besides, the Georgian army ruined several graves and tombstones at the memorial cemetery of defenders and civilians who died during the aggression of 1990s and damaged the local chapel.
"An irreparable damage has been inflicted on the original human environment of South Ossetia people. Thereby Georgian authorities have materially violated such basic internationally accepted acts as the Hague Convention for the Protection of Cultural Property in the Event of Armed Conflict, 1954, the Convention Concerning the Protection of the World Cultural and Natural Heritage, 1972, and UNESCO Declaration concerning the Intentional Destruction of Cultural Heritage, 2003," Russian Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Alexander Yakovenko said.
- Belarus ready to host meeting between Pope, Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2016, 16:30
- Moscow Patriarchate holds the 2nd place in the world for the number of believers among other Christian Churches 27 May 2016, 14:11
- Russia ready to help Islamic world counter global challenges and threats – Putin 27 May 2016, 10:58
- Russian is the third important language among ISIL recruiters - religious expert 27 May 2016, 10:38
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes unjustified use of English taken words in Russian 27 May 2016, 10:22
- Xenophobia and Islamophobia become main trends in Europe in 2015 - ECRI report 26 May 2016, 18:02
- Terrorists in Syria are destined to fail - Patriarch Kirill 26 May 2016, 16:45
- Putin to travel to Holy Mount Athos on second day of his visit to Greece 26 May 2016, 13:33
- Two Moscow Patriarchate churches burgled in western Ukraine 26 May 2016, 12:15
- Church of Moscow Patriarchate set on fire in Kiev 24 May 2016, 15:09
- Russian Church urges to international control over currency issue and criticized offshores 24 May 2016, 13:17
- Russia stronger than West because it has more perfect weapon, prayer - Patriarch Kirill 23 May 2016, 12:04
- Lukashenko proposes arrangement of meeting between Pontiff and Patriarch of Moscow for sake of peace in Donbass (updated) 23 May 2016, 10:57
- LGBT pride parade not held in Chisinau, its participates evacuated for security reasons 23 May 2016, 10:36
- Europe became a part of the Islamic world long ago, renowned political expert believes 23 May 2016, 10:32
- Turkey, Saudi Arabia and Qatar aims at eliminating Syria as a secular state, an expert believes 23 May 2016, 10:29
- Residences of suspected ISIL recruiters being searched in St. Petersburg 20 May 2016, 11:53
- Ukraine's political conjuncture, church schism temporary - Patriarch Kirill 20 May 2016, 10:13
- Spread of same-sex marriage puts world in moral catastrophe - Zorkin 20 May 2016, 10:04
- Islamic radicals successfully recruit supporters due to increasing displeasure with Western policies - Zorkin 20 May 2016, 10:01
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Catholics to defend Christians' rights in the world together 20 May 2016, 10:00
- Russian Church destined to change Western attitude to Christianity - Patriarch Kirill 19 May 2016, 17:43
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Athos in late May 19 May 2016, 17:10
- Pavlensky given 1.5-year sentence for setting fire to car tires near the Savior on Spilt Blood Church in St. Petersburg 19 May 2016, 17:08
- Imams of five mosques detained in Tajikistan on extremism accusations 19 May 2016, 11:29
- American OSCE staff member in Donbass adopts Orthodoxy 18 May 2016, 20:39
- Odessa priest becomes the champion of Ukraine in powerlifting 18 May 2016, 11:57
- Sochi resident sentenced to 4.5 years for incitement to religious hatred in social media 17 May 2016, 15:12
- Homosexuals give up the idea to hold an action in Tbilisi fearing for their safety 17 May 2016, 10:00
- Every forth Russian woman, who turned to the Health Ministry consultative centers, refused abortion 16 May 2016, 17:17