19 September 2008, 16:13
The cultural objects of South Ossetia damaged in the conflict include two churches and a synagogue
Moscow, September 19, Interfax - Two churches and a synagogue are included in the list of 11 objects of cultural heritage of South Ossetia, which have documented destructions from the Georgian army aggression on August 8-12, 2008.
During the battle action the shell hit ruined the southern wall and corner of the church located not far away from the village of Nizhny Tbet; the area of destroyed space is about five meters. The church was built in the late Middle Ages, Rossiyskaya Gazeta reports Friday.
Service premises of the Tskhinvali Church of Nativity of the Blessed Virgin (the former Armenian Church), built in 1718, were destroyed during a massive fire of the city by the Georgian army.
The ancient synagogue located in Tskhinvali also has significant damages. The building requires essential repairs and restoration.
Besides, the Georgian army ruined several graves and tombstones at the memorial cemetery of defenders and civilians who died during the aggression of 1990s and damaged the local chapel.
"An irreparable damage has been inflicted on the original human environment of South Ossetia people. Thereby Georgian authorities have materially violated such basic internationally accepted acts as the Hague Convention for the Protection of Cultural Property in the Event of Armed Conflict, 1954, the Convention Concerning the Protection of the World Cultural and Natural Heritage, 1972, and UNESCO Declaration concerning the Intentional Destruction of Cultural Heritage, 2003," Russian Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Alexander Yakovenko said.
- Russia's Muslims expect Islamic world leaders at cathedral mosque opening ceremony in Moscow 31 July 2015, 10:02
- IS militants could include tens of thousands of Europeans - EU official 31 July 2015, 10:01
- Patriarch Kirill calls murders of priest and nun in Kiev outrageous 30 July 2015, 10:04
- Nun of Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate murdered in Kiev 29 July 2015, 18:01
- Islamic State recruits people worldwide – Bortnikov 29 July 2015, 11:46
- FSB director calls for discreditation of Islamists' leaders 29 July 2015, 11:10
- Priest attacked in Kiev dies 29 July 2015, 10:44
- Poroshenko promises no state interference in forming united local Ukrainian Orthodox Church 29 July 2015, 10:02
- Ex-leader of Bashkir national movement jailed for three years for religious extremism 28 July 2015, 12:16
- Russia to continue Donbass peace efforts in response to Patriarch Kirill's message - the Kremlin 28 July 2015, 12:14
- Kremlin to host presidential reception in honor of Baptizer of Russia 28 July 2015, 11:39
- Patriarch Kirill launches anti-war appeal to Putin, Poroshenko on eve of Russia Christianization Day (updated) 27 July 2015, 18:16
- Kiev priest attack must not remain unpunished - Moscow Patriarchate 27 July 2015, 17:25
- Chelyabinsk Islamist gets 5-year sentence 27 July 2015, 17:02
- Wahabi from Dagestan detained with ammo, heroin on bus to Moscow 27 July 2015, 16:59
- Moscow Patriarchate priest badly wounded in Kiev 27 July 2015, 11:48
- Jews with synagogues on wheels to visit over 70 cities of Russia 27 July 2015, 10:34
- Arkhangelsk authorities ban LGBT event on Airborne Troops Day 27 July 2015, 10:11
- Georgian Patriarch successfully operated on in Germany 27 July 2015, 10:00
- Chapel or memorial sign to appear in place of collapsed barracks in Omsk 24 July 2015, 12:45
- Kyrgyz PM proposes to build special prison for religious extremists 24 July 2015, 11:42
- Russian Orthodox Church urges authorities against leaving people without ideological "wheel and sails" 23 July 2015, 15:40
- Valaam abbot gives up Internet, suggests restricting use of smartphones in monasteries 23 July 2015, 10:01
- No way back to Chechnya for those joining Islamic State – Kadyrov 22 July 2015, 12:23
- Tajik former election committee member from Islamic party jailed for illegal arms possession 21 July 2015, 14:35
- State Duma deputy asks Russian foreign minister to initiate international tribunal for ISIL 21 July 2015, 11:20
- At least 500 Tajiks fighting alongside IS - Interior Ministry 21 July 2015, 10:01
- Ukrainian miners build a church at the depth of 800 meters 20 July 2015, 16:53
- Patriarch Kirill urges Ukraine not to politicize the term 'Russian world' 20 July 2015, 13:35
- Icons and coins for €16,000 stolen from a collector's flat in Moscow 20 July 2015, 11:46