19 September 2008, 16:13
The cultural objects of South Ossetia damaged in the conflict include two churches and a synagogue
Moscow, September 19, Interfax - Two churches and a synagogue are included in the list of 11 objects of cultural heritage of South Ossetia, which have documented destructions from the Georgian army aggression on August 8-12, 2008.
During the battle action the shell hit ruined the southern wall and corner of the church located not far away from the village of Nizhny Tbet; the area of destroyed space is about five meters. The church was built in the late Middle Ages, Rossiyskaya Gazeta reports Friday.
Service premises of the Tskhinvali Church of Nativity of the Blessed Virgin (the former Armenian Church), built in 1718, were destroyed during a massive fire of the city by the Georgian army.
The ancient synagogue located in Tskhinvali also has significant damages. The building requires essential repairs and restoration.
Besides, the Georgian army ruined several graves and tombstones at the memorial cemetery of defenders and civilians who died during the aggression of 1990s and damaged the local chapel.
"An irreparable damage has been inflicted on the original human environment of South Ossetia people. Thereby Georgian authorities have materially violated such basic internationally accepted acts as the Hague Convention for the Protection of Cultural Property in the Event of Armed Conflict, 1954, the Convention Concerning the Protection of the World Cultural and Natural Heritage, 1972, and UNESCO Declaration concerning the Intentional Destruction of Cultural Heritage, 2003," Russian Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Alexander Yakovenko said.
- Russian Muslim leader: Crimea has the right to choose to become part of Russia 07 March 2014, 10:04
- Acting Ukrainian president is a pastor and its prime is a scientologist 05 March 2014, 17:28
- Patriarch Kirill to meet with heads of Orthodox Churches in Istanbul 05 March 2014, 16:04
- Kadyrov orders to provide housing to Orthodox priests 05 March 2014, 10:01
- Crimean authorities promise to fight against Hizb ut-Tahrir 03 March 2014, 16:39
- Ideas calling for revision of moral values are dangerous - Lavrov 03 March 2014, 15:36
- Russia slams Western countries' attempts to "flirts" with Islamist rebels in Syria 03 March 2014, 10:11
- Russian patriarch asks Turchynov to stop ethnic discrimination 03 March 2014, 10:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for peace in Ukraine 03 March 2014, 10:05
- Tatarstan mufti calls on Ukraine's Muslims to resolve disputes peacefully 28 February 2014, 14:35
- Stepashin meets Pope Francis 27 February 2014, 11:23
- Moscow urges Kiev to stop nation from sliding to religious confrontation 27 February 2014, 10:01
- Patriarch Kirill calls for end of violence in Ukraine 26 February 2014, 17:09
- Orthodox Christian fund wants to buy Kutuzov monument removed in Ukraine 26 February 2014, 16:00
- Old Russian icons are taken from Kiev exhibition ahead of schedule to escape the danger of damage 26 February 2014, 13:04
- Locum tenens of the Kievan See is skeptic about prospects of the dialogue with schismatics in the "time of trouble" 26 February 2014, 12:48
- World Russian People's Council threatens with legal prosecution to those who try to capture churches in Ukraine 26 February 2014, 12:12
- Moscow Patriarchate welcomes Metropolitan Onufry's election as head of Metropolitan Diocese in Kiev 26 February 2014, 10:01
- Metropolitan Onufry elected locum tenens of Kievan Metropolitan See 25 February 2014, 14:34
- Ukraine synagogue attacked 25 February 2014, 11:31
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Ukrainian authorities not to interfere in church affairs 24 February 2014, 17:53
- Patriarch Kirill prays for peace in Ukraine standing on his knees 24 February 2014, 16:57
- Tajik Islamists file lawsuit against special services, state-run television 21 February 2014, 16:03
- Requiem service for those killed in Ukraine held in the Kiev Laura of the Caves 21 February 2014, 10:54
- Renovation of Basilica of the Nativity in Bethlehem will cost 20 million 19 February 2014, 16:54
- A medical station set up on the grounds of the St. Michael's Cathedral in Kiev 19 February 2014, 15:42
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church calls for halt of bloodshed in Kiev 19 February 2014, 14:55
- Gay marriages don't make Russia, Europe closer to each other - Russian MP 19 February 2014, 14:00
- Detained terrorist group led by Osh mosque deputy imam - Kyrgyz police 19 February 2014, 12:33
- Patriarch Kirill's visit to Sochi was a great event for sportsmen, head of his press service says 19 February 2014, 10:01