22 September 2008, 17:26
Orthodox believers found heaven guardians for Russian secret service
Moscow, September 22, Interfax - The Union of Orthodox Citizens strongly opposed the idea of reversion of Dzerzhinsky monument to Lubyanka and proposed to declare St. Alexander Nevsky and archbishop John (Maximovich) heaven guardians for Russian secret service.
"Dzerzhinsky is the demoniac enemy of Russian Orthodox Church whose hands are steeped in blood of the New Martyrs and Confessors of Russia. Moreover, the rehabilitation of Dzerzhinsky is contrary to the authorities' course for revival of great Russia", reads the Moscow department of the Unions' statement provided Monday to Interfax-Religion.
Earlier Vladimir Kolesnikov, the member of State Duma safety committee ("Unired Russia" faction), former Solicitor-General, proposed to restore the Dzerzhinsky monument on Lubyanka. Kolesnikov's colleagues in the committee greeted the idea with applause.
Meanwhile the Orthodox believers said that they were "curled up" at this initiative.
"Dzerzhinsky is one of the symbols of Bolshevist Russophobia, when the words "Motherland", "Russian" were forbidden", the statement reads.
According to the Union of Orthodox citizens the appelas to return the "iron Felix" monument to Lubyanka appear also because the Russian secret services still didn't get its own heaven guardians, like many other branches of arms.
Therefore the Union proposed to declare St. Prince Alexander Nevsky the heaven guardian of FSB and to make his words: "The one who comes to us with the sword shall perish with the sword" - "the slogan of every security officer".
According to the Orthodox believers Archbishop of Shanghai and San Francisco John (Maximovich) should be the spirit guardian of Foreign Intelligence Service. Former hierarch of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia, he was canonized there in 1994. In the end of June the Bishop's Council of the Moscow Patriarchate adopted a decision of church celebration of Shanghai Holy Hierarch.
The authors of the statement also reminded that one of the forefathers of the Sanctifier baptized the Western Siberia, the other opposed the Polish ideas of contraposition Ukraine to Russia. And Archbishop John himself argued strongly against the disruption between Ukraine and Russia, "gathered up the Russian universe, from Shanghai to San Francisco, by his feat and his word" and revitalized the Orthodoxy on the West.
"Thanks to his mission the Americans converted to Orthodoxy, like famous Hieromonk Seraphim (Rose), became the Russian patriots and constructed "Holy Russia" in California. This activity in the context of the current political Russophobia in the West is all the more urgent", the statement says.
- Founder of Russian icon museum - among victims of helicopter crash in Greece 22 August 2019, 12:50
- Al-Assad asks for Russian language teachers in Syria to counter Western culture and Wahhabism - Russian MP 20 August 2019, 15:28
- Ukraine has made a great contribution to combating antisemitism - Netanyahu 19 August 2019, 18:19
- Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church ceases to exist 14 August 2019, 20:12
- Over 60% of Russians identify as Orthodox, 1 out of every 6 is atheist - poll 14 August 2019, 13:51
- Russian Orthodox Church offers "Russian exarchate" to join it preserving its statute and traditions 12 August 2019, 15:33
- Gay couple with adopted children can't return to Russia yet - rights activists 12 August 2019, 14:53
- Zelensky discusses Crimea, Donbass with Patriarch Bartholomew 09 August 2019, 11:58
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church sees good signal in Zelensky's remarks at meeting with Patriarch Bartholomew 08 August 2019, 20:25
- Zelensky promises Patriarch Bartholomew: state won't interfere in church affairs 08 August 2019, 16:51
- Russian Jewish community leader calls news of Vilnius Synagogue closure frightening 08 August 2019, 14:31
- Vilnius synagogue closes due to local Jews' safety fears 07 August 2019, 20:39
- The battles of Stalingrad, Moscow to be depicted at facades of the main church of Russian military forces 07 August 2019, 17:25
- The Russian Orthodox Church criticizes the project of 'futuristic' church in Moscow 07 August 2019, 17:23
- Patriarch Kirill sends condolences to Trump over deadly shootings in Texas, Ohio 06 August 2019, 13:18
- U.S. consul general denies Washington's involvement in Yekaterinburg protests 05 August 2019, 18:47
- Zelensky planning to meet with Erdogan, Patriarch Bartholomew during Turkey visit 05 August 2019, 11:48
- Vatican embassy describes reports on pontiff's visit to Russia on May 9, 2020, as rumors 01 August 2019, 16:21
- Patriarch Kirill sees the threat of restricting human freedom in digital technologies 01 August 2019, 15:52
- Baikal shamans bring sheep and vodka to their gods to help extinguishing fire 01 August 2019, 15:50
- 300,000 Ukrainian Orthodox Church believers participate in the procession with cross on the Day of Russia’s Baptism 29 July 2019, 10:59
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church hopes Zelensky's anti-raiding decree will affect religious sphere 24 July 2019, 17:22
- Pope Francis of Rome congratulates Russian opera singer Svetlana Kasyan on her birthday 24 July 2019, 16:29
- Court of Appeal recognized illegal the Ukrainian state’s attempt to rename the Ukrainian Orthodox Church 24 July 2019, 13:56
- Religion section editor of Dagestani newspaper charged with financing terrorism 24 July 2019, 13:22
- The Russian Church warns that Trump's taxes on Chinese goods may lead to crisis of Christian mission in the USA 22 July 2019, 16:35
- Sagrada Familia and Notre Dame listed among five most frequently photoed sights 22 July 2019, 13:56
- "Contemporary" church to be built in the Setun valley in Moscow 22 July 2019, 11:38
- Georgian campaigners for gay propaganda ban hand out treats for signatures 22 July 2019, 11:34
- Icons presented to Putin and Lukashenko at Konevets monastery near St. Petersburg 18 July 2019, 11:58