09 October 2008, 13:55
The Russian Church reminds it hasn't recognized the Constantinople church structure in Estonia
Moscow, October 9, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate states again that it hasn't recognized a canonical status of the so-called Estonian Autonomous Orthodox Church (EAOC).
The statement came out as Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople contrary to Alexy II's wish invited the EAOC head Metropolitan Stefanos to the All-Orthodox meeting in Istanbul.
"It is not important for us if any particular hierarch of the Constantinople Patriarchate attends the meeting or not as the EAOC belongs to it. What is important is that the Russian Orthodox Church cannot agree with recognition of Metropolitan Stefanos as the head of the autonomous local Church," Inter-Orthodox secretary of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations Archpriest Nikolay Balashov told Interfax-Religion on Thursday.
Primates of Orthodox Churches are to meet in Istanbul on October 10-12 and is timed for the Year of St. Paul.
Fr. Nikolay confirmed Patriarch Alexy intended to take part in final part of the meeting and in the joint Sunday liturgy in St. George patriarchal cathedral in Phanar (Istanbul district where the Constantinople Patriarch's residence is located - IF).
The interviewee of the agency reminded that participation of the Russian Church in the event was discussed more than once. Alexy II in his response letter to Barthlomew I of June 3 stated the Russian Church hadn't recognized church organization of the Constantinople Patriarchate in Estonia as an autonomous local Church.
Bartholomew I met with Alexy II in the Kiev Laura of the Caves in July and again invited the Russian Orthodox Primate to the All-Orthodox meeting in Istanbul.
"We proceed from joint understanding that heads of autocephalous Churches will participate in the All-Orthodox meeting and only they or their official representatives will sign the final document," Fr. Nikolay said.
He pointed out that Alexy II's delegation includes three primates of the self-governed Churches under the Moscow Patriarchate: Metropolitan Kornily of Tallinn and All Estonia, Metropolitan Vladimir of Kiev and All Ukraine and Metropolitan Vladimir of Kishinev and All Moldova.
The so-called Estonian Autonomous Orthodox Church was established by the Constantinople Patriarchate in 1996 in the canonical territory of the Russian Church and has not been recognized in the Orthodox world.
- Moscow Mayor Sobyanin proposes to leave Lubyanskaya Square as it is for now 26 February 2021, 22:42
- Acting leader of Abkhazian Diocese is member of Georgian Church - Georgian Patriarchate 26 February 2021, 17:44
- Search underway on premises of Sredneuralsky Convent 26 February 2021, 17:41
- Defrocked priest Sergy's pretrial detention extended until end of spring 26 February 2021, 10:00
- Armenian Apostolic Church urges politicians to start talks 25 February 2021, 15:04
- Omsk resident fined 375,000 rubles for excusing terror attack in New Zealand 25 February 2021, 11:48
- Yakutian shaman Gabyshev charged with violence against police officer 25 February 2021, 10:45
- Meeting between Russian patriarch, Pope doesn't improve Christians' position in Middle East contrary to expectations - Metropolitan Hilarion 24 February 2021, 10:00
- Muscovites will choose between monuments to Dzerzhinsky, Alexander Nevsky on Lubyanka Square 20 February 2021, 10:03
- Former schema-monk Sergy admits giving bribe amounting to 'millions of dollars' 18 February 2021, 16:30
- World Russian People's Council backs idea of Ivan III monument on Lubyanka Square in Moscow 18 February 2021, 16:11
- FJCR suggests reinstalling fountain at Lubyanka 18 February 2021, 15:30
- Suspected organizer of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Russia's Kemerovo region placed under house arrest 17 February 2021, 14:11
- Police detain man who splashed Holocaust monument in Yerevan with paint 17 February 2021, 13:44
- The giant castle of corona cannibal to be burned in Russia on Maslenitsa 17 February 2021, 12:08
- Lawyers' association supports bill limiting surrogate motherhood in Russia 17 February 2021, 10:00
- FSB detain people suspected of financing ISIL under guise of donations to mosques in Crimea, Tatarstan 16 February 2021, 15:19
- World Union of Old Believers backs idea to place Ivan III monument on Moscow's Lubyanka Square 16 February 2021, 09:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion concerned by detention on non-participants in unsanctioned rallies 15 February 2021, 09:17
- Moscow court arrests 2 Jehovah's Witnesses 15 February 2021, 09:15
- Foreign Intelligence Service head compares those who insult WWII veterans to Nazi collaborators 12 February 2021, 11:53
- Congress of the Leaders of World and Traditional Religions in Kazakhstan postponed to next year 12 February 2021, 11:07
- Sputnik V vaccine halal - Gamaleya Center expert 12 February 2021, 10:03
- Court denies former schema hegumen Sergy right to participate in dispute over church on territory of Sredneuralsky Convent 10 February 2021, 20:39
- Several organizers of Jehovah's Witnesses cell detained in Moscow 10 February 2021, 11:43
- Resident of Russia's Dagestan jailed for 10 years for killing local rabbi 10 February 2021, 11:14
- Tajik authorities classify sentence of opposition Islamic party leader 09 February 2021, 17:35
- The International Day of Human Brotherhood celebrates in Russia for the first time 09 February 2021, 10:13
- Tolerance lessons have already been held for half a million schoolchildren in Russia 09 February 2021, 10:04
- Moscow City Court upholds arrest of schema-hegumen Sergy 09 February 2021, 10:00