15 October 2008, 14:23
Russian rabbi slams U.S. refusal to repeal Jackson-Vanik amendment
Moscow, October 15, Interfax - Russia's Chief Rabbi Berel Lazar has said he believes that Washington's delays in graduating Russia from the Jackson-Vanik amendment hurt the interests of the Jewish community and have political motives.
"We have had several meetings both with [U.S.] President George W. Bush and representatives of the U.S. Department of State. Our position is very clear. We believe that the American side made a big mistake when it refused to repeal these amendments. This step would have benefited the U.S. itself," Lazar said in an interview with the NG-Religii newspaper published on Wednesday.
A move to repeal the Jackson-Vanik amendment would demonstrate Washington's understanding and recognition of those increasingly serious changes that have taken place in Russia in the past two decades," the rabbi said.
Jews have been able "to emigrate and to freely travel to various countries and return home" for a long time, Lazar said. More than 100,000 people have returned from Israel to Russia, the rabbi said. "No one has forced them to return. It was their free choice," he said.
"But then the fundamental issue of free movements was suddenly replaced by economic interests for some unknown reasons. One started to tie the annulment of the amendment to the issue of American chicken imports to Russia. People and their spiritual freedom were placed on the same shelf with chicken! Russia received a signal: it could have been a political matter from the very beginning, not an issue driven by the desire to protect human rights," Lazar said.
"In my opinion, refusing to repeal the amendment harms the Jewish people. The result is that our cause was used for different purposes," he said.
- Female bikers will carry out a pilgrimage on bikes across Russia 28 April 2017, 21:09
- Military court sentences Moscow mosque imam charged with justifying terrorism to 3 years' imprisonment 28 April 2017, 19:37
- St. Nicholas relics to be brought to Russia from Italy for first time in 930 years on May 21-28 28 April 2017, 13:01
- St. Isaac Cathedral can gain a status of patriarchal representation 27 April 2017, 21:27
- Lenin should be buried out of compassion for his soul, Russian Muslims and Jews believe 27 April 2017, 21:26
- FJCR urges Trump to prove his adherence to struggling against anti-Semitism 27 April 2017, 12:22
- Russia conveyed 1.5 tons of humanitarian aid to residents of a Christian city in Syria 26 April 2017, 15:54
- Stepashin tells about Yeltsin's plans to demolish Lenin's mausoleum 26 April 2017, 14:18
- Unidentified criminals committed an arson at the territory of a Moscow Patriarchate church 25 April 2017, 18:09
- Chechen mufti meets with Syrian president in Damascus – Kadyrov 25 April 2017, 10:43
- Special services have no info on persecution complaints from sexual minorities in Chechnya – Kremlin 25 April 2017, 10:16
- EU should wait for reports on persecution of gays in Chechnya to be confirmed before condemning – Lavrov 25 April 2017, 10:15
- Public prosecutor seeks 3.5 years in prison to Moscow mosque imam charged with terrorism justification 25 April 2017, 10:00
- Church of Moscow Patriarchate burglarized, desecrated in Odessa 24 April 2017, 17:40
- Russian sappers demined Orthodox church in Aleppo 24 April 2017, 13:52
- Two criminals plotting to murder religious figures eliminated in Stavropol Territory 24 April 2017, 10:00
- Volodin calls for relying on Putin's opinion, avoiding radical moves in Lenin's reburial issue 21 April 2017, 13:02
- Zyuganov demands Russian Security Council guarantee Lenin not to be reburied 21 April 2017, 12:46
- Family of a Russian priest creates robots and will represent them in the USA 21 April 2017, 10:18
- Russian Supreme Court declares Russian branch of Jehovah's Witnesses extremist organization, orders its closure 20 April 2017, 19:26
- Over half of Russians believe that Lenin should be buried - poll 20 April 2017, 18:25
- Lenin reburial information attack on Communist Party - party 20 April 2017, 18:22
- United Russia not to support legislation on Lenin's reburial as it splits society - Duma deputy 20 April 2017, 18:17
- Duma members propose bill to regulate burial of Lenin's body 20 April 2017, 16:10
- Ukrainian army has sent about 500 Wahhabis to Mariupol, DNR says 20 April 2017, 13:18
- Kremlin has no reasons not to believe info received from head of Chechnya on human rights observance in republic – Peskov (updated) 20 April 2017, 13:05
- Lavrov discusses int'l issues, Afghanistan with Prince Aga Khan IV 20 April 2017, 11:23
- Russian ombudsman suspects reports on gay men's harassment in Chechnya may be false 20 April 2017, 11:15
- Russian church desecrated in Israel 18 April 2017, 18:32
- Patriarch Kirill surprised to see no intl reaction to violence against Church in Ukraine 18 April 2017, 18:28