07 November 2005, 12:25
Ukrainian Orthodox public accuses U.S. of campaigning to tear off the Ukrainian Orthodox Church from the Moscow Patriarchate
Kiev, November 7, Interfax - Head of the Union of Orthodox Citizens of Ukraine Valery Kaurov accused U.S. of supporting church schism in his country.
Speaking before the participants in the action dedicated to the 62th anniversary of the liberation of Kiev from fascist occupants, Kaurov said that U.S. have set out for informational-political campaign to weaken the Russian Orthodox church, to separate the Ukrainian Orthodox church from the Moscow Patriarchate with the help of the Patriarchate of Constantinople, and prevent the reunion of the Moscow Patriarchate and the Russian Orthodox church outside of Russia.
‘These efforts, however, will be counterproductive. We see who harm the cause of the church, and we shall become even more consolidated. We shall not allow non-Orthodox Americans to intervene in our church affairs’, Kaurov said.
Head of the Union of Orthodox Citizens called upon his supporters to come to the meeting in Kiev on November 20 ‘to celebrate in our own way an anniversary of ‘Orange revolution’ that has led to a new persecution of the Church and turned Ukraine into anti-Russian state’.
Taking part in the action were some five thousand supporters of the Progressive Socialist Party of Ukraine (PSPU), All-Ukrainian public organization ‘The Gift of Life’, the Crimean youth association ‘Breakthrough’ and other organizations.
Columns of demonstrators went from the Independence Square to the grave of General Nikolai Vatutin. They carried flags with PSPU symbols, slogans ‘Hands off Ukraine, Orange Nazism!’ ‘Union - yes, NATO - no!’ ‘OUN-UPA - butchers of their people.’
The car with veterans of the Great Patriotic War headed the column.
PSPU Chairman Natalia Vitrenko said that ‘Orthodox unity, unity of the Russian Orthodox church and ideology of fraternity between the Slavic people and antifascism form the basis for reestablishing of unity between fraternal people baptized in the Kiev font: Russians, Ukrainians and Byelorussians’.
According to information from the Union of Orthodox Citizens, there was a fist-fight between the participants in the procession and ‘nationalist-minded citizens’ near the monument to General Vatutin. Some 10 people were injured and got abrasions. Four people were detained and brought to militia post.
Center for public relations of Kiev main directorate of the ministry of internal relations did not confirm to Interfax-Ukraine that the fight took place and the injured applied to law enforcement.
- Jehovah 's Witness in Tajikistan sent to jail for 6 months for refusing to wear army uniform 20 October 2017, 10:27
- Interior Ministry official suggests criminalizing gay propaganda 19 October 2017, 17:00
- Prominent Tajik heart surgeon detained on suspicion of links to Salafis – media 19 October 2017, 15:53
- Moscow mufti warns that foreign radical preachers want to sway CIS Muslim space 19 October 2017, 10:07
- Metropolitan Hilarion holds up protestant missionaries as an example for Orthodox priests 18 October 2017, 17:32
- Moscow court declines defense lawyers' appeal against arrest of Christian State leader Kalinin 18 October 2017, 17:12
- Investigative Committee to investigate consolidated case against Christian State leader 18 October 2017, 15:49
- Patriarch Kirill pays attention of the participants in the Inter-Parliamentary Union Assembly to attempts of infringing canonical church in Ukraine 17 October 2017, 14:14
- Patriarch Kirill urges to base legislation on law of morals 16 October 2017, 17:17
- Metropolitan Hilarion is positive about works of priest-rapper 16 October 2017, 14:41
- Communication between people doesn't depend on political, religious differences - Putin at opening of Youth Festival in Sochi 16 October 2017, 10:29
- Christian State leader Kalinin charged with extremism 13 October 2017, 12:32
- Head of Russian Catholics speaks about confident improvement of relations with the Russian Orthodox Church 12 October 2017, 11:05
- Homes of suspected Hizb ut-Tahrir members searched in Bakhchisarai 11 October 2017, 18:59
- Metropolitan Hilarion accuses the United States of the lack of democracy 11 October 2017, 17:21
- Catholics jointly with Orthodox believers will restore Orthodox churches in Syria 09 October 2017, 11:34
- Godless society will not conquer extremism - Vatican representative in Russia 06 October 2017, 18:48
- Religious leaders' dialogue promotes peaceful Karabakh settlement - head of Muslim Board of Caucasus 04 October 2017, 17:58
- Son of Russia's chief rabbi is involved in uniting Jews in Crimea 04 October 2017, 15:12
- Priest is not allowed to Russian pilot Yaroshenko in American prison 04 October 2017, 10:00
- Ingusheti preacher in averted assassination attempt already survived 03 October 2017, 11:47
- Russian Orthodox Church welcomes softened U.S. stance on freedom of conscience in Russia 03 October 2017, 10:00
- Attempt on life of religious figure averted in Ingushetia 02 October 2017, 13:31
- State Duma deputies who watched Matilda see it as movie, give filmmaker right to realize idea 29 September 2017, 18:05
- Patriarch Kirill equals insulting believers' feelings to extremism 29 September 2017, 15:19
- Patriarch Kirill positively evaluates relations between Uzbekistan's Muslims, Orthodox 29 September 2017, 13:39
- Lukashenko suggests organizing meeting between Patriarch Kirill, pope in Minsk 28 September 2017, 13:59
- Metropolitan Hilarion draws pope's attention to discrimination threat to canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church 28 September 2017, 10:11
- Syrian authorities are doing everything to protect Christians – Russian MP 28 September 2017, 10:07
- Uzbek leader plans to meet with Patriarch Kirill 28 September 2017, 10:04