07 November 2005, 12:25
Ukrainian Orthodox public accuses U.S. of campaigning to tear off the Ukrainian Orthodox Church from the Moscow Patriarchate
Kiev, November 7, Interfax - Head of the Union of Orthodox Citizens of Ukraine Valery Kaurov accused U.S. of supporting church schism in his country.
Speaking before the participants in the action dedicated to the 62th anniversary of the liberation of Kiev from fascist occupants, Kaurov said that U.S. have set out for informational-political campaign to weaken the Russian Orthodox church, to separate the Ukrainian Orthodox church from the Moscow Patriarchate with the help of the Patriarchate of Constantinople, and prevent the reunion of the Moscow Patriarchate and the Russian Orthodox church outside of Russia.
‘These efforts, however, will be counterproductive. We see who harm the cause of the church, and we shall become even more consolidated. We shall not allow non-Orthodox Americans to intervene in our church affairs’, Kaurov said.
Head of the Union of Orthodox Citizens called upon his supporters to come to the meeting in Kiev on November 20 ‘to celebrate in our own way an anniversary of ‘Orange revolution’ that has led to a new persecution of the Church and turned Ukraine into anti-Russian state’.
Taking part in the action were some five thousand supporters of the Progressive Socialist Party of Ukraine (PSPU), All-Ukrainian public organization ‘The Gift of Life’, the Crimean youth association ‘Breakthrough’ and other organizations.
Columns of demonstrators went from the Independence Square to the grave of General Nikolai Vatutin. They carried flags with PSPU symbols, slogans ‘Hands off Ukraine, Orange Nazism!’ ‘Union - yes, NATO - no!’ ‘OUN-UPA - butchers of their people.’
The car with veterans of the Great Patriotic War headed the column.
PSPU Chairman Natalia Vitrenko said that ‘Orthodox unity, unity of the Russian Orthodox church and ideology of fraternity between the Slavic people and antifascism form the basis for reestablishing of unity between fraternal people baptized in the Kiev font: Russians, Ukrainians and Byelorussians’.
According to information from the Union of Orthodox Citizens, there was a fist-fight between the participants in the procession and ‘nationalist-minded citizens’ near the monument to General Vatutin. Some 10 people were injured and got abrasions. Four people were detained and brought to militia post.
Center for public relations of Kiev main directorate of the ministry of internal relations did not confirm to Interfax-Ukraine that the fight took place and the injured applied to law enforcement.
- First Russian church opened in Cyprus 27 March 2017, 13:49
- Russian Church will include some more western saints in its calendar 27 March 2017, 12:26
- Orthodox believers will celebrate St. Patrick's Day in downtown Moscow 27 March 2017, 10:57
- Origins of West's hatred of Russia lie in split of Christianity - Zyuganov 27 March 2017, 10:00
- Russia, France need to pool efforts to protect world from dangers of globalism, Islamic fundamentalism - Le Pen (updated) 24 March 2017, 10:55
- Sixty-eight percent of citizens oppose monarchy in Russia - poll 24 March 2017, 09:30
- Rabbi Lazar urges to legalize circumcision in Russia 23 March 2017, 13:14
- Ostriches raised in a Kemerovo church, pheasants will be next 23 March 2017, 10:17
- Church official believes Lenin will be buried sooner or later 22 March 2017, 16:01
- Head of antic god or hero found at the construction site of the Crimean bridge 22 March 2017, 13:59
- Moscow mosque imam Velitov to face trial for public justification of terrorism - lawyer 22 March 2017, 12:33
- Third of Russians count national history from Kievan Rus, its Christianization - poll 22 March 2017, 12:12
- Russian masons stunned by deputy Milonov's accusations 21 March 2017, 19:40
- Putin, Russian chief mufti discuss Muslim community's activity 21 March 2017, 18:23
- Bishop of the Russian Church compares Russia airbase in Syria to a monastery 21 March 2017, 10:55
- The Russian Church will introduce its ecological initiatives to the UN 20 March 2017, 16:16
- Church official calls Stalin "executioner" and supports ban on his perpetuation in Ingushetia 20 March 2017, 14:19
- Rector of a Moscow church awakenes conscience in prostitutes who threatenes him 20 March 2017, 10:51
- Russia preserved thanks to "natural conservatism" of its people - Patriarch Kirill 20 March 2017, 10:08
- Waffen SS veterans' march in Riga glorifies murderers, justifies Nazism - Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia 20 March 2017, 10:00
- Couple in Cherkessk decides what to do with embryos in court 17 March 2017, 18:34
- The Moscow Patriarchate believes Lenin's burial is untimely 17 March 2017, 17:04
- Moldovan President counts on Patriarch Kirill's support in reuniting his country 17 March 2017, 12:36
- FJCR head criticizes ultra-Orthodox Jews who do not work and do not serve in the army 17 March 2017, 10:11
- Putin meets with head of Russian Orthodox Old-Rite Church 17 March 2017, 10:00
- Icon of Crimea heavenly protector to be delivered to the International Space Station 16 March 2017, 11:17
- Kazakhstan's AIFC strives to create favorable environment for Islamic financial institutions 15 March 2017, 13:32
- On the 100th anniversary of the emperor's abdication the patriarch prays for victims of the revolution and civil war 15 March 2017, 13:11
- Russia needs Orthodox monarchy – Crimean head 15 March 2017, 13:07
- ROCOR urges to rid Red Square of Lenin's remains and destroy monuments to him 13 March 2017, 11:07