07 November 2005, 12:25
Ukrainian Orthodox public accuses U.S. of campaigning to tear off the Ukrainian Orthodox Church from the Moscow Patriarchate
Kiev, November 7, Interfax - Head of the Union of Orthodox Citizens of Ukraine Valery Kaurov accused U.S. of supporting church schism in his country.
Speaking before the participants in the action dedicated to the 62th anniversary of the liberation of Kiev from fascist occupants, Kaurov said that U.S. have set out for informational-political campaign to weaken the Russian Orthodox church, to separate the Ukrainian Orthodox church from the Moscow Patriarchate with the help of the Patriarchate of Constantinople, and prevent the reunion of the Moscow Patriarchate and the Russian Orthodox church outside of Russia.
‘These efforts, however, will be counterproductive. We see who harm the cause of the church, and we shall become even more consolidated. We shall not allow non-Orthodox Americans to intervene in our church affairs’, Kaurov said.
Head of the Union of Orthodox Citizens called upon his supporters to come to the meeting in Kiev on November 20 ‘to celebrate in our own way an anniversary of ‘Orange revolution’ that has led to a new persecution of the Church and turned Ukraine into anti-Russian state’.
Taking part in the action were some five thousand supporters of the Progressive Socialist Party of Ukraine (PSPU), All-Ukrainian public organization ‘The Gift of Life’, the Crimean youth association ‘Breakthrough’ and other organizations.
Columns of demonstrators went from the Independence Square to the grave of General Nikolai Vatutin. They carried flags with PSPU symbols, slogans ‘Hands off Ukraine, Orange Nazism!’ ‘Union - yes, NATO - no!’ ‘OUN-UPA - butchers of their people.’
The car with veterans of the Great Patriotic War headed the column.
PSPU Chairman Natalia Vitrenko said that ‘Orthodox unity, unity of the Russian Orthodox church and ideology of fraternity between the Slavic people and antifascism form the basis for reestablishing of unity between fraternal people baptized in the Kiev font: Russians, Ukrainians and Byelorussians’.
According to information from the Union of Orthodox Citizens, there was a fist-fight between the participants in the procession and ‘nationalist-minded citizens’ near the monument to General Vatutin. Some 10 people were injured and got abrasions. Four people were detained and brought to militia post.
Center for public relations of Kiev main directorate of the ministry of internal relations did not confirm to Interfax-Ukraine that the fight took place and the injured applied to law enforcement.
- African patriarch predicts great future to Orthodoxy on his continent 08 December 2017, 10:59
- OSCE should take principled stance on discrimination against Christians in Middle East, effectively defend their rights - Lavrov 08 December 2017, 10:21
- Over 120 churches were destroyed in Syria during the war - Patriarch John of Antioch 07 December 2017, 18:08
- Patriarch Kirill pays special attention to inter-church relations between Russia and the USA on the background of complicated relations between the countries 07 December 2017, 17:53
- Russia may attend urgent OIC summit on Jerusalem as observer 07 December 2017, 15:10
- Chief rabbi of Russia calls Trump's decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel's capital the restoration of justice 07 December 2017, 12:02
- Patriarch Kirill invites American pilgrims to Russia 07 December 2017, 10:14
- Patriarch of Antioch thanks Lavrov for Russia's efforts to settle Syrian crisis 05 December 2017, 17:39
- Patriarch Kirill hopes church division in Ukraine can be overcome 05 December 2017, 11:29
- Russia to help Christian, Muslim, Jewish refugees to return to Syria - Putin 05 December 2017, 10:41
- Head of "Kiev Patriarchate" ready to meet with Patriarch Kirill 04 December 2017, 11:42
- Moscow Patriarchate still open to dialogue with Filaret Denisenko - spokesperson 02 December 2017, 15:41
- Putin expects Russian Orthodox Church to continue cooperation with state 02 December 2017, 11:59
- Autocephaly is goal of Kiev Patriarchate - Filaret 01 December 2017, 19:00
- Anathema doesn't cause Filaret concern 01 December 2017, 18:56
- Putin hopes that Russian Orthodox Church will help intl efforts to revive Syria 01 December 2017, 18:23
- Old Believers of Moscow Patriarchate ask for own bishop 01 December 2017, 18:18
- Putin hopes that Russian Orthodox Church will help intl efforts to revive Syria 01 December 2017, 18:16
- Russian Jews insist that tsar killing not be called 'ritual killing' 01 December 2017, 18:12
- Dialogue on reconciliation with Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Kiev Patriarchate was initiated by Russian Orthodox Church through its Church Abroad 01 December 2017, 17:46
- Filaret: Ukrainian church will never go back to Moscow Patriarchate 01 December 2017, 17:41
- Metropolitan Hilarion denies Filaret's letter to Kirill written on Moscow Patriarchate's initiative 01 December 2017, 15:00
- There are no plans for meeting between Patriarch Kirill and head of "Kiev patriarchate" - Metropolitan Hilarion 01 December 2017, 14:58
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church denies that Filaret's letter to Patriarch Kirill contained request for autocephaly 01 December 2017, 14:55
- "Kiev Patriarchate"'s spokesperson rejects info on Filaret's repentance letter with Russian Orthodox Church's Bishops' Council 30 November 2017, 22:17
- "Kiev Patriarchate"'s leader Filaret asks Patriarch Kirill to pardon him, bring him back to church's fold 30 November 2017, 22:13
- Putin to deliver speech at Bishops' Council on Friday 30 November 2017, 17:49
- Tashkent imam proposes death penalty for extremists 30 November 2017, 11:41
- Putin discusses Orthodox Church's contribution to consolidation of society, ethnic peace 30 November 2017, 10:20
- Russian Church will help Syria all it can with post-war problems - Patriarch Kirill 30 November 2017, 10:18