07 November 2005, 12:25
Ukrainian Orthodox public accuses U.S. of campaigning to tear off the Ukrainian Orthodox Church from the Moscow Patriarchate
Kiev, November 7, Interfax - Head of the Union of Orthodox Citizens of Ukraine Valery Kaurov accused U.S. of supporting church schism in his country.
Speaking before the participants in the action dedicated to the 62th anniversary of the liberation of Kiev from fascist occupants, Kaurov said that U.S. have set out for informational-political campaign to weaken the Russian Orthodox church, to separate the Ukrainian Orthodox church from the Moscow Patriarchate with the help of the Patriarchate of Constantinople, and prevent the reunion of the Moscow Patriarchate and the Russian Orthodox church outside of Russia.
‘These efforts, however, will be counterproductive. We see who harm the cause of the church, and we shall become even more consolidated. We shall not allow non-Orthodox Americans to intervene in our church affairs’, Kaurov said.
Head of the Union of Orthodox Citizens called upon his supporters to come to the meeting in Kiev on November 20 ‘to celebrate in our own way an anniversary of ‘Orange revolution’ that has led to a new persecution of the Church and turned Ukraine into anti-Russian state’.
Taking part in the action were some five thousand supporters of the Progressive Socialist Party of Ukraine (PSPU), All-Ukrainian public organization ‘The Gift of Life’, the Crimean youth association ‘Breakthrough’ and other organizations.
Columns of demonstrators went from the Independence Square to the grave of General Nikolai Vatutin. They carried flags with PSPU symbols, slogans ‘Hands off Ukraine, Orange Nazism!’ ‘Union - yes, NATO - no!’ ‘OUN-UPA - butchers of their people.’
The car with veterans of the Great Patriotic War headed the column.
PSPU Chairman Natalia Vitrenko said that ‘Orthodox unity, unity of the Russian Orthodox church and ideology of fraternity between the Slavic people and antifascism form the basis for reestablishing of unity between fraternal people baptized in the Kiev font: Russians, Ukrainians and Byelorussians’.
According to information from the Union of Orthodox Citizens, there was a fist-fight between the participants in the procession and ‘nationalist-minded citizens’ near the monument to General Vatutin. Some 10 people were injured and got abrasions. Four people were detained and brought to militia post.
Center for public relations of Kiev main directorate of the ministry of internal relations did not confirm to Interfax-Ukraine that the fight took place and the injured applied to law enforcement.
- Russian church founder near the European Council 02 October 2014, 09:45
- Muslim sheep slaughter to be banned in Moscow during Eid al-Adha feast 01 October 2014, 10:08
- Two prosecuted following police van incident near Moscow mosque 30 September 2014, 16:10
- Seven female Islamists apprehended in Kyrgyzstan 30 September 2014, 12:50
- Parishioners of the Moscow Mosque of the Council of Mufti attacked the police bus 29 September 2014, 15:50
- Russia picks Zvyagintsev's Leviathan for Oscar 29 September 2014, 10:08
- Police raid St. Petersburg Scientology church as part of fraud probe 29 September 2014, 10:06
- Up to 50,000 militants fight for Islamic State - Patrushev 26 September 2014, 12:04
- Two jailed in Azerbaijan for plotting mosque bombing 26 September 2014, 11:49
- Ukrainian Army occupied a church in Donetsk and fires from it 26 September 2014, 10:20
- Putin praises Russian Jews' role in consolidating interfaith harmony 26 September 2014, 10:07
- Ban on gay propaganda among minors doesn't restrict sexual minorities' rights - Russian Constitutional Court 26 September 2014, 10:05
- Israel ready to extradite Russian priest Grozovsky - source (updated) 25 September 2014, 18:11
- Patriarch Kirill hopes to visit Latvia 25 September 2014, 15:40
- The Menorah memorial desecrated with swastika in Babiy Yar 25 September 2014, 14:49
- Patriarch Kirill denies being vehicle of Kremlin policy 25 September 2014, 09:57
- Dissenters take over Orthodox church in Rovno Region of Ukraine 24 September 2014, 14:35
- Over 20,000 Hasidics arrive in Uman to celebrate New Year 24 September 2014, 14:15
- Hasidic pilgrims not afraid of traveling to Ukraine - border guards 24 September 2014, 10:50
- Russian religious leaders send anniversary greetings to Interfax 23 September 2014, 15:04
- Israeli embassy in Russia confirms Grozovsky detention 22 September 2014, 12:45
- State sovereignty is more important than camembert and jamon, leader of Russia's Jewish community believes 22 September 2014, 10:17
- Moscow to host Quran intl recitation contest on September 20 19 September 2014, 15:14
- Cross set up in Belgrade to commemorate defenders of the city during the First World War 19 September 2014, 11:12
- Ukrainian Army shells Donetsk monastery 18 September 2014, 16:53
- Russia and Vatican to hold art exhibition on Biblical themes 18 September 2014, 10:10
- Sts Martha and Mary Convent in Moscow decorated with a Japanese symbol 18 September 2014, 10:01
- Released Lugansk priest claims pilot Savchenko suggested to divide them to organs 17 September 2014, 10:22
- Ukrainian bishop believes the country's authorities Satanic 16 September 2014, 12:15
- Two Hizb ut-Tahrir activists detained in Kyrgyzstan 16 September 2014, 11:42