07 November 2005, 12:25
Ukrainian Orthodox public accuses U.S. of campaigning to tear off the Ukrainian Orthodox Church from the Moscow Patriarchate
Kiev, November 7, Interfax - Head of the Union of Orthodox Citizens of Ukraine Valery Kaurov accused U.S. of supporting church schism in his country.
Speaking before the participants in the action dedicated to the 62th anniversary of the liberation of Kiev from fascist occupants, Kaurov said that U.S. have set out for informational-political campaign to weaken the Russian Orthodox church, to separate the Ukrainian Orthodox church from the Moscow Patriarchate with the help of the Patriarchate of Constantinople, and prevent the reunion of the Moscow Patriarchate and the Russian Orthodox church outside of Russia.
‘These efforts, however, will be counterproductive. We see who harm the cause of the church, and we shall become even more consolidated. We shall not allow non-Orthodox Americans to intervene in our church affairs’, Kaurov said.
Head of the Union of Orthodox Citizens called upon his supporters to come to the meeting in Kiev on November 20 ‘to celebrate in our own way an anniversary of ‘Orange revolution’ that has led to a new persecution of the Church and turned Ukraine into anti-Russian state’.
Taking part in the action were some five thousand supporters of the Progressive Socialist Party of Ukraine (PSPU), All-Ukrainian public organization ‘The Gift of Life’, the Crimean youth association ‘Breakthrough’ and other organizations.
Columns of demonstrators went from the Independence Square to the grave of General Nikolai Vatutin. They carried flags with PSPU symbols, slogans ‘Hands off Ukraine, Orange Nazism!’ ‘Union - yes, NATO - no!’ ‘OUN-UPA - butchers of their people.’
The car with veterans of the Great Patriotic War headed the column.
PSPU Chairman Natalia Vitrenko said that ‘Orthodox unity, unity of the Russian Orthodox church and ideology of fraternity between the Slavic people and antifascism form the basis for reestablishing of unity between fraternal people baptized in the Kiev font: Russians, Ukrainians and Byelorussians’.
According to information from the Union of Orthodox Citizens, there was a fist-fight between the participants in the procession and ‘nationalist-minded citizens’ near the monument to General Vatutin. Some 10 people were injured and got abrasions. Four people were detained and brought to militia post.
Center for public relations of Kiev main directorate of the ministry of internal relations did not confirm to Interfax-Ukraine that the fight took place and the injured applied to law enforcement.
- Russian Jews will help project synagogues and opening Jewish museums in Europe 26 August 2016, 18:04
- Humanitarian aid to Christians of Homs delivered with Russia's assistance 26 August 2016, 17:00
- Islamist from Russia caught in Bishkek with large quantities of extremist books, ammunition 26 August 2016, 10:47
- Churkin calls Kosovo 'gray zone' in center of Europe used by radical Islamists 26 August 2016, 10:31
- Europe's rabbis at Moscow congress stunned by absence of anti-Semitism in Russia 26 August 2016, 10:14
- Imam Velitov placed under house arrest in justification of terrorism inquiry 26 August 2016, 10:13
- Clergy do not decide to give judgment to preaching by imam Velitov charged with extremism 26 August 2016, 10:12
- Passenger not allowed to flight from Moscow with a liter of holy water 25 August 2016, 18:21
- Lawyer for Islamic party designated as extremist in Tajikistan accused of disclosing state secret 25 August 2016, 18:18
- Azeri authorities call for fight against supporters of preacher Gulen in country 25 August 2016, 16:20
- Samara court orders expulsion of six American Mormons who didn't register with migration authorities 25 August 2016, 15:35
- Gulen-supporting prorector fired from Azeri university 25 August 2016, 12:30
- Cupolas installed on Russian church in Paris 25 August 2016, 12:07
- Immoral actions reduced in Russian Army thanks to cooperation with the Church - Defense Minister 25 August 2016, 11:57
- Russian servicemen built a church of Karelian pine at Khmeimim airbase in Syria 25 August 2016, 10:50
- Barring of Russian Paralympians from Olympics crime against morals - Russian Orthodox Church 24 August 2016, 15:55
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Poroshenko on Independence Day, hopes for development of church-state interaction 24 August 2016, 12:33
- Syrian Christian leader asks Russia to help with release of captured metropolitans 24 August 2016, 11:00
- Patriarch Kirill addresses Erdogan the words of support in connection with a terrorist act in Turkey 23 August 2016, 17:50
- Number of actions against Christians in Middle East increases fourfold in past 7 years - Russian Foreign Ministry representative 23 August 2016, 15:53
- Terrorists arrested in Georgia deny connections with Ukraine, Wahhabis among them – lawyer 23 August 2016, 14:49
- Orthodox exhibition fair to be held in Switzerland 23 August 2016, 13:14
- Russian Orthodox Church to help resist extremism in jails 23 August 2016, 10:50
- Delegation of Jewish rabbis allowed to enter Belarus from Russia - media 23 August 2016, 10:10
- 500 rabbis gather at summit in Moscow, rabbi Lazar says situation with anti-semitism in Europe critical 22 August 2016, 17:06
- Russia's former ambassador to Turkey compares Gulen to Soros and his structure to Mason 22 August 2016, 16:36
- Russian border guards deny delegates of congress of Jewish rabbis entry into Byelorussia 22 August 2016, 15:56
- Russian Jewish community waiting for explanation of Vasilyeva's attitude to Stalin era 22 August 2016, 15:35
- Patriarch watches culture minister and boxer Valuyev playing football with schoolchildren on the Solovetsky Islands 22 August 2016, 11:26
- Religious component will not be strengthened in Russian education system - new education minister 22 August 2016, 10:00